ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-31-2014, 07:42 PM   #1
Baggi'tard OP
Assventure rider

Oddometer: 745
Tellico Adventure Trail

So taking the Farmhouse Inn tracks a little bit further...I've come up with the Tellico Adventure Trail. 524 miles in three days of riding! Each day is 170 to 177 miles. Of course the vast majority are gravel roads, but no way to not mix in a few hot backroads and a few miles of highway as needed.

Plan your stay in Tellico Plains. We do have enough places to eat for at least three nights I'll try and point out places to get fuel, unfortunately I don't think about it too much cuz I have 28L on my 640 ADV so it's never and issue for an entire days ride.

Here's the full .gpx file with tracks for each day. The tracks have 1000s of points for full detail. If you need to edit them down you can filter them with Trail Tech RideLeader software, or others I'm sure. Further explanations of each days ride in additional posts.

Revision 1, Fixes some minor errors right here in town where streets don't really connect anymore.

Revision 2, Added some gas locations. All the small towns have some, but I needed to add some in the "middle" so that guys with 100 mile range or less can plan better. Stations marked with "100" have non-ethanol fuel, some have 93 too (Reliance, Farner, and Snowbird for sure).

Revision 3, Added TAT4 route in the Citico Creek Wilderness area. Mostly as an alternate for TAT3 since many NC roads will be closed in the winter, and this route takes advantage of seasonally open tracks (hunting seasons). Also, I had to filter the tracks to lessen the file size, the resolution is now 24 meters, which is plenty close enough for riding.

Attached Files
File Type: gpx TellicoADVTrail_524_r3.gpx (722.1 KB, 86 views)

"Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff." Bob Lee Swagger.
KTM 640E, KTM Duke II, Ducati Multistrada 1100S

Baggi'tard screwed with this post 11-12-2014 at 07:07 AM Reason: added r3
Baggi'tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:45 PM   #2
Baggi'tard OP
Assventure rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggi'tard View Post
So taking the Farmhouse Inn tracks a little bit further...I've come up with the Tellico Adventure Trail. 524 miles in three days of riding! Each day is 170 to 177 miles. Of course the vast majority are gravel roads, but no way to not mix in a few hot backroads and a few miles of highway as needed.

Plan your stay in Tellico Plains. We do have enough places to eat for at least three nights

Here's the full .gpx file with tracks for each day. The tracks have 1000s of points for full detail. If you need to edit them down you can filter them with Trail Tech RideLeader software, or others I'm sure. Further explanations of each days ride in additional posts.

Here's the terrain overview of all three days
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2014, 08:00 PM   #3
Baggi'tard OP
Assventure rider

Tellico ADV Trail 524 Day 1

Day 1 (track TAT1) is 176 miles, going CCW from Tellico Plains, starts off with some good fun backroads to south of Reliance, then up to Benton Mountain and Oswald Dome, and Chilhowee Mountain overlooks of the Ocoee River. The entire loop south of 64/74 through Big Frog Wilderness (TN) and Cohutta Wilderness (GA) has NO gas stops. You may want/need to fill up at a gas station or two along 64 before turning south unless you have a supertanker.

The ride through Big Frog and Cohutta is brilliant fun, maybe something like 2300 feet in overall elevation changes. Some pretty well maintained sections, some hardly at all and they are rocky and bumpy and a blast. FR221 from just south of US64 turning into FR22 in GA, down to "Old Hwy 2" is a gorgeous ride, seems you are well under the canopy, down in the cool and damp valley, and the road is technical enough to be quite entertaining.

The red cut-off track (TAT1-1) will keep you in the Big Frog, along Big Frog Loop Road (barely maintained and rocky fun too) if Cohutta seems like too much for you. Lops of maybe about 40 miles. You could always try Trail 82 on the way back to Tellico if you cut off Cohutta.

Continuing east along US64/74 to Ducktown you can see the Olympic whitewater venue, maybe even see a few boaters if the water is running. Ducktown has plenty of gas. Then back north through Isabella (gorgeous name, sad sad little "town") and Farner. Check out the Apalachia Dam in Farner, and the huge pipe that transmits water to the power station. Day 2 you can check out the power station and tunnel ruins.

Take a few more gnarly backroads north of Farner before finishing up on Old Furnace Road.

Here's a look at the day one tracks TAT1 and TAT1-1.
Attached Images

Baggi'tard screwed with this post 08-01-2014 at 04:41 AM
Old 08-01-2014, 05:17 AM   #4
Baggi'tard OP
Assventure rider

Tellico ADV Trail 524 Day 2

Day 2 route is 177 miles, again kinda starting off in the CCW direction. Warmup on a few backroads on the way to Starr Mountain (get bonus miles if you can find any White Cliffs resort hotel ruins). Then we go back west north of the Hiwassee on the way down through Farner on the way to some awesome examples of NC backroads. Some gravel, some two-track, some paved, all a lot of fun around the Candy Mtn area. NC just has a style of backroad that different than TN and they are really fun.

Then we'll head back west through the area between Hiwasee and Ocoee Rivers. Ride Lost Creek, McFarland, Kimsey Hwy, Smith Mtn road, etc. You can ride Trail 81 off this loop. Along McFarland road you can stop and see the "Aztec" ruins of a small construction village from when they were making the tunnel for the large pipe for the Apalachia power station. The cleanout tunnel is still there, as an access point to the pipe. Ride down and see the power station. Smith Mtn road is probably the most technical in this area, being rocky, with small ledges and less maintained or traveled than the others. To shorten the route in this area, continue on Kimsey Mtn Hwy (track TAT2-1).

Passing back through Farner we'll head over to the Joe Brown Highway and Burrell Mtn roads in North Carolina. Another short cut-through here (track TAT2-2) if you need to lop of some miles. Pass by Trail 82 at the TN/NC border on the way north to Coker Creek. Finish up the day on the infamous Witt Road. Or run the opposite direction and start your day on Witt Road.

Gas shouldn't be too much of a problem. Available in Reliance, Greasy Creek, along Hwy 68 and I think in NC. Might have to run a couple miles to nearest town.

Here's the terrain view.
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2014, 05:31 AM   #5
Baggi'tard OP
Assventure rider

Tellico ADV Trail 524 Day 3

Day 3 (track TAT3) is 170 miles and runs clockwise to North Carolina. We start off running through Rafter on the way past Bald River falls. Check out the view from Whiggs Meadow (close to 5000 feet) on the TN/NC line before continuing on to the Little Snowbird area. There is NO gas basically from Tellico Plains to Andrews, but where you cross over the Cherohala Skyway down by the Snowbird lodge there is a gas station a few miles down the road. Then there is no gas from Murphy back to Tellico Plains.

Go up Little Snowbird until we find Porterfield Gap road, which then magically turns into FR341 at the top of the mtn and runs down to Andrews. Maybe the funnest rollercoaster ride in the area. Great for gassing it up and sliding a bit, if you like that kinda thing. Run down to Murphy with ZERO miles on the highway. After Murphy we take a few great backroads on the way back to TN. Also a little cutoff here (track TAT3-1).

At the TN/NC line we get to take the very seldom used (and more technical) FR24 up to a few balds on the TN/NC line, 4200 feet I think?

Head back to Tellico on FR126 going by the Bald River Wilderness, some "more technical" sections including the run up FR126C, the cell tower road, to some great views too.

the terrain view of Day 3 track
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2014, 05:51 AM   #6
wawarides
where's Laura0107?

Oddometer: 1,190
That was a huge amount of work, and most appreciated! I've ridden numerous times in the Tellico Plains and Murphy areas but the Cohutta Wilderness is still on my bucket list. Not for much longer, though. Thanks again!
Old 08-01-2014, 08:45 AM   #7
Baggi'tard OP
Assventure rider

Highlights from Day 1 Trail

A few picture highlights along Day 1 Trail.

Gas in Reliance TN

Chilhowee Mtn, Ocoee River overlook (looking toward Big Frog and Cohutta Wilderness')

Views from Cohutta and Big Frog Wilderness

Buck Bald

Trail 82

Old 08-01-2014, 09:12 AM   #8
Baggi'tard OP
Assventure rider

Highlights from Day 2 Trail

Apalachia Power Station construction ruins along McFarland Road

Apalachia power station (from the north side, you'll get there from the south)

NC on the way back, northeast of Farner.

And of course finishing up on Witt Road

Old 08-01-2014, 09:47 AM   #9
Baggi'tard OP
Assventure rider

Highlights from Day 3 Trail

North River Road

Whiggs Meadow

Porterfield Gap Road, NC, just before it turns into FR341

The view from the end of FR24

Action on the Tellico River.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:05 AM   #10
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,214
Nice job putting this together.

I have ridden a lot of it, but looks like I have more exploring to do now.

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:46 PM   #11
Tobes2102
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Great job Bagg!! I rode Witt/fingerboard/lost creek/McFarland to Ditney mtn road to Kimsey Saturday. Ditney is really cool...really no maintenance on it so very little gravel. You can haul ass. I've stuck to the fsr's mostly because I am by myself on a 990 adventure. I would like to do the trail 81 and 82 with it. Whatya think? What's the ride on 81 and 82 like?? I would love to come up and stay at the farm house and entice you with a case of beer for a ride.
Tobes2102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:48 PM   #12
Baggi'tard OP
Assventure rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobes2102 View Post
Great job Bagg!! I rode Witt/fingerboard/lost creek/McFarland to Ditney mtn road to Kimsey Saturday. Ditney is really cool...really no maintenance on it so very little gravel. You can haul ass. I've stuck to the fsr's mostly because I am by myself on a 990 adventure. I would like to do the trail 81 and 82 with it. Whatya think? What's the ride on 81 and 82 like?? I would love to come up and stay at the farm house and entice you with a case of beer for a ride.
F-in A Bubba! I work/ride for beer. However, my beer tastes tend toward the extreme, so a case might cost you more than $100. However a few choice bombers or 750ml Belgians and I'm good! I ride by myself a lot too so don't venture onto the extreme off-FR stuff much. I rode Trail82 from Hwy 64 to Buck Bald recently and it was fine tho. there's another double track between N River Road and the Skyway I'd like to try, but gotta be with somebody.

Smith Mtn Road is maybe even less maintained and used than Ditney, so it's fun too. And FR221 south of FR45 (Big Frog area) to near Georgia was great fun, rocky, narrow, in stream valleys. Good fun.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:49 PM   #13
Tobes2102
Adventurer

Cool2

PM me, I live near the casual pint and can get some decent stuff and I am serious. I am pretty much good to ride this week through Sunday. Basically anyday of the week is good. Just give me a few days notice and I will be there. BTW...my wife told me yesterday I was awesome ....SO..just saying. Let me know, I'll pull chalks and be on the way.

Quote:
F-in A Bubba! I work/ride for beer. However, my beer tastes tend toward the extreme, so a case might cost you more than $100. However a few choice bombers or 750ml Belgians and I'm good! I ride by myself a lot too so don't venture onto the extreme off-FR stuff much. I rode Trail82 from Hwy 64 to Buck Bald recently and it was fine tho. there's another double track between N River Road and the Skyway I'd like to try, but gotta be with somebody.

Smith Mtn Road is maybe even less maintained and used than Ditney, so it's fun too. And FR221 south of FR45 (Big Frog area) to near Georgia was great fun, rocky, narrow, in stream valleys. Good fun.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:14 AM   #14
philp38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,231
Quote:
Apalachia Power Station construction ruins along McFarland Road

A friend of mine did some research on this area. This used to be the old McFarland concrete mixing plant.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:34 PM   #15
Tobes2102
Adventurer

Pretty amazing that nature has done such a good job reclaiming. Although I have to doubt the plant we see near McFarland was that large or active. BUT....who knows??