ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #16
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Oddometer: 1,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdthorpe View Post
This is Good Stuff Laura!!

I can verify the Abbeville figure 8 loop is good, good, good! We aarse's have all ridden it multiple times. There is one spot that may have to be changed. if you want to, pm me an email address and i'll send over tracks that I know are trouble free...

btw, I am monkey's gps representative, he is gps illiterate!!

Thanks so much, David. PM sent!
Old 12-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #17
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Thanks to sdthorpe, I just fixed my estimated track of FS-634 and did some slight re-routing near there as well. I also split up the tracks so none would have more than 500 points, for those of you who may have GPS's with that limitation. If you downloaded the "SC_Dirt" gpx file before now, please delete that version and get the revised one (still attached to post #13) instead.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #18
sdthorpe
Adventurer... yeah right!

Oddometer: 543
Laura, if i was to take your track that connects Monkee's loop to the Meow, when it splits, which is better; the north leg or the south?
sdthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #19
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdthorpe View Post
Laura, if i was to take your track that connects Monkee's loop to the Meow, when it splits, which is better; the north leg or the south?
I haven't ridden all of the north leg yet. Both legs have a lot of dirt, but the south may have a bit more. I did an out & back on the south leg and had a blast. But then the section of the MEOW between the two legs is one of my favorites, with a lot of dirt. Decisions, decisions! If you're doing it tomorrow, the Neeses Piggly Wiggly has a pretty good restaurant. Their Sunday menu has 4 meats and 8 veggies from which to choose a meat & 3. I believe they serve until 3 p.m. on Sundays. And I have some private trails nearby .
Old 12-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #20
sdthorpe
Adventurer... yeah right!

Oddometer: 543
Nah, no time soon. I was just looking at creating one big loop out of all this at some point.
sdthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #21
reed10
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I live in Lexington and this is the kind of riding I have been looking for. Only problem is I cant load the gpx files on my garmin with my poi loader. Any help would be great. I have googled and no luck.
reed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #22
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed10 View Post
I live in Lexington and this is the kind of riding I have been looking for. Only problem is I cant load the gpx files on my garmin with my poi loader. Any help would be great. I have googled and no luck.
Welcome to ADV, reed10! I don't believe Garmin's POI Loader program will handle tracks. What model Garmin GPS do you have? Let's start with that, because not all of them will accept "tracks". If yours won't, but will accept "routes" transferred to it from Mapsource or Basecamp instead, that may be an option. (I can convert everything to routes for you).
Old 12-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #23
reed10
n00b

Thanks for the quick response. I have a old Nuvi 200. I added a 4gb sd card so I would have plenty of memory. I have never messed with maps on my gps.
I have it on my 86 Honda xl600r using a ram mount. I found this thread last night and was tempted to take the day off of work today and go ride. Is there a group of locals that go riding? I would like to join sometime.
Well back to my issue. At the end of the poi loader it says "no valid data was found in the specified folder, therefore no data was written"
Thanks again for the help
Old 12-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #24
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response. I have a old Nuvi 200. I added a 4gb sd card so I would have plenty of memory. I have never messed with maps on my gps.
I have it on my 86 Honda xl600r using a ram mount. I found this thread last night and was tempted to take the day off of work today and go ride. Is there a group of locals that go riding? I would like to join sometime.
Well back to my issue. At the end of the poi loader it says "no valid data was found in the specified folder, therefore no data was written"
Thanks again for the help
OK, you have a unit there that won't work with tracks nor routes. Even if it did work with routes, Nuvis will murder an externally route created route anyway by recalculating it when it's loaded. You'd have to insert bunches of via points or waypoints on the route using Mapsource or Basecamp before loading it on the unit, to try to force it to recalculate it using the correct roads. And going off of an established road really blows its mind. I found all that out the hard way in the middle of forests in the mountains.

The following might work, though. If you send me your email address via private message (click on my screen name, then "send private message to", I'll send you a "gmapsupp.img" file of the GPX file. It'll be a transparent image file, with just the route highlighted in magenta. Connect your GPS to your computer, and load the gmapsupp.img file either into the unit's "Garmin" subdirectory or to your SD card's "Garmin" subdirectory. If you already have a gmapsupp.img file in either place, feel free to rename it gmapsupp_OLD.img or the like first, then rename it back later if needed. Once you have the file loaded and the GPS disconnected from your computer, when the GPS is back in normal mode instead of mass storage mode, see if you can find the colored lines of the tracks where you expect to. If not, go through your menu settings on the Nuvi and look for "Map info" and see if you need to enter a check mark to activate the supplemental map. On my 750 the supplemental map just shows up automatically. I create the IMG file with a $20 program called GPX2IMG. If this process doesn't work for your 200, it shouldn't hurt anything.

Using transparent image overlays is how I'm able to use tracks on my Nuvi 750. It's wonderful, for the GPS isn't trying to out-think you and send you down an interstate, it's just displaying your City Nav maps with the tracks overlaid on top. If you see something interesting off-track, you can easily go explore and then just make your way back to the track without your GPS going bonkers trying to recalculate.

I've got to spend the next 2 weekends Christmas shopping, as the weather up until now was too nice to spend doing that. Would sure rather be riding, though.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:46 AM   #25
reed10
n00b

This ride sounds great. Im going to go as soon as I have time. Thanks to everyone who put it together
Old 12-15-2012, 04:31 AM   #26
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Quote:
This ride sounds great. Im going to go as soon as I have time. Thanks to everyone who put it together
Reed10, I'm glad that image file worked for you, as per your email!

You asked about local rides, here's the state ride to lunch thread, where some of us like to get dirty: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632836

Some of the Charleston guys are up this way a good bit: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=790977

If you haven't stumbled across Marsh Tiger's main HO-CAT thread in Day Trippin' yet: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=774241

And Wlfman, who posted earlier in this thread, rides a DRZ and lives up your way.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #27
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

I rode the Northern leg of the Ridge Spring loop today over from the MEOW, and can report that it is every bit as awesome as the Southern leg! Easily 80% dirt, maybe more. I'm eating lunch at Juniper in Ridge Spring and will head for home on the Southern leg. I'll post a few pix later. The dirt is perfect after the recent rains.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #28
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Here are some cell phone pix from today's ride. The first four are from the MEOW:

Old store at Poole's Mill. This has been a tag before in one of the tag-o-rama games.

Looking west, not far from I-20 on the Northern leg of the Ridge Spring loop:

Old 01-02-2013, 05:08 AM   #29
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura0107 View Post
Here are some cell phone pix from today's ride. The first four are from the MEOW:

Old store at Poole's Mill. This has been a tag before in one of the tag-o-rama games.

Looking west, not far from I-20 on the Northern leg of the Ridge Spring loop:

Wish I could have joined you. I did however get new RaceTeck Fork and Shock Springs installed on the DRZ

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:48 AM   #30
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
Wish I could have joined you. I did however get new RaceTeck Fork and Shock Springs installed on the DRZ
Maybe next time! At least you had a very good reason for missing a ride!