User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
kiwininja OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Yet another Ninja 650r conversion

So about a little over year ago I got broadsided by an SUV on my way home from work. Many months of rehab and recovery later I am back to normal but I can't say the same for my poor Ninja. I've had a lot of time to think about how I want to rebuild the bike and I've gotten the itch to try a dual sport. After reading through all the threads here on converting the 650 into something more dirt capable I decided to take the plunge. I started this last weekend by stripping the bike down and removing all the broken body work.

Over the past few months I've acquired a full YZ400F front end and a R1 rear shock. I got the front end on and I'm starting to get a good idea of what this thing is going to look like when I'm done.

Things that I need to sort out yet:

Spacer for the upper bearing on the YZ stem - The upper bearing on the YZ stem is 28mm and no one makes a bearing that will fit the Ninja's upper race, so I'm trying to find a local machine shop that can make a spacer for me.

Bore out shock bushings for the 650 mounting bolts - again, need to find a local machine shop that can do this for me

New rear spring - from what I've gathered so far the stock R1 spring will be too soft for my girth. Probably source a new one from Canyon Racecraft unless anyone has another suggestion.

Exhaust - the stock header and muffler where damaged pretty badly in the accident, so I'm scouring Ebay for replacements now. Anyone have any suggestions for aftermarket mufflers that are light, but not obnoxious sounding?

Radiator - The original is bent from the accident and I'm very doubtful that it'll cool addiquately, so i'm hunting on Ebay for a replacement.

Front wheel - I've got the stock 21" wheel off the YZ, but I'm debating relacing it to a 19". Never done a motorcycle wheel before, but if it's anything like trying to true mountain bike wheels, I may not have the patience for it.

Headlight - this is giving me the most grief right now. I really like the stock Ninja headlight, as it has a really good beam pattern and was excellent for riding at night. I haven't had much luck finding solid information on aftermarket headlights. I want something that will really light up the road at night, as we tend to have a lot of deer around here.

Any opinions and suggestions are gladly welcome. This is only my second bike I've ever owned and the first that I've done any real customization to.
kiwininja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #2
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,886
another rat. you're off to a good start.

PM sent.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
pjm204
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwininja View Post
Things that I need to sort out yet:

New rear spring - from what I've gathered so far the stock R1 spring will be too soft for my girth. Probably source a new one from Canyon Racecraft unless anyone has another suggestion.
The yamaha Road Star spring will fit, it has a rate of 13kg/mm as opposed to the 9kg/mm of the R1.

Exhaust - the stock header and muffler where damaged pretty badly in the accident, so I'm scouring Ebay for replacements now. Anyone have any suggestions for aftermarket mufflers that are light, but not obnoxious sounding?
I found ninja headers on ebay for $30...I'd find a cheap sport bike muffler (like an R1) and then have a muffler shop make you a midpipe.

Radiator - The original is bent from the accident and I'm very doubtful that it'll cool addiquately, so i'm hunting on Ebay for a replacement.

Front wheel - I've got the stock 21" wheel off the YZ, but I'm debating relacing it to a 19". Never done a motorcycle wheel before, but if it's anything like trying to true mountain bike wheels, I may not have the patience for it.

I'm using a 21" on mine and like it. It depends whether you are actually going to ride off road or not.

Headlight - this is giving me the most grief right now. I really like the stock Ninja headlight, as it has a really good beam pattern and was excellent for riding at night. I haven't had much luck finding solid information on aftermarket headlights. I want something that will really light up the road at night, as we tend to have a lot of deer around here.

For mine I got a Baja Designs 8" soltek and 2 Rigid Dually LED lights, however this is not a budget option. you could go with a 7" round light like Sanjoh did.

Any opinions and suggestions are gladly welcome. This is only my second bike I've ever owned and the first that I've done any real customization to.
Past bikes: XT225, TTR125, '04 CRF50 '74 DT125,'70 TS250,'85 v45, '89 zx600c, '78 GS400x, '99 GS500E, '01 GS500E '05 Z750s, '77 GS400e, '82 GS1100ez, '97 GSX600, '07 VFR800, '03 KLR650, '03 FJR1300, '06 DL1000, '00 KLR650, '99 WR360, '08 DL650, '05 DR650, '08 EX650r, '96 CR500, '82 GS450T, '06 Ural
pjm204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:28 AM   #4
ktmklx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
Good start. If you like the stock headlight use it. I have no regrets using it. Some simple mods to the fairing bracket made it easy to install using the headlight rubber mounts (don't under estimate the need for isolating components if you want your bike to be reliable for long hauls). The fairing bracket also allowed simple installation of the gauges using the original isolated mounts.
ktmklx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,145
Good find so far on the YZF front end, I will watch your thread to see how you finish it.
Making copious notes for future (soon?) use.

dentedvw screwed with this post 03-24-2012 at 07:01 PM
dentedvw is offline   Reply With Quote