Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #151
TrashCan OP
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 3,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyVP View Post

They're also riding in the left lane because the right lane's just going too slow.

The proper thing is to break the ride groups up into smaller units of eight to 10 riders.

Well, you got one right and one wrong.

But, I agree with everything you said.

Welcome and good first post.

TrashCan screwed with this post 03-27-2012 at 04:08 PM
TrashCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #152
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Like George Carlin said,
Everyone slower than you is a jerk, everyone faster is an idiot.

The trick is to be willing to find a way to do your thing without being a jerk or idiot.
Nope. Drive as fast or as slow as you want. As long as you're being safe enough and courteous enough to not endanger/anger everybody else around you, WGAFF?..not counting Barney Fife.

I couldn't care less if somebody wants to blow past me at 120MPH in the left lane on I-95, or toodle along in one of the right lanes at 45MPH. Just pay attention to what you're doing, and be mindful of surrounding traffic. Don't obstruct flow, and stay right except to pass. Don't do stupid things like swinging U-turns, without a signal or a yield, from the right shoulder, or merging onto the interstate at 30MPH.

All you clueless peoples out there...If a beaten old 4cyl Jeep YJ with 31" mudders, stock gears, and a kayak on the roof-rack can best 65MPH before merging onto a 70MPH interstate, I'm pretty sure your new 6cyl sedan can muster 55MPH by then without breaking a sweat. If you don't want people constantly getting the urge to kick your ass, don't come down the ramp at 40MPH and then cut over 3 lanes without a signal, regardless of surrounding traffic, to park it in the left while doing the speed limit. You aren't teaching anybody anything, other than the fact that you're a douchebag.

Kommando screwed with this post 03-27-2012 at 06:11 PM
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #153
Trl Rdr
Big Red Bird

Oddometer: 2,027
If you are visiting Nebraska, the left lane is known as the other lane. Feel free to pass in the right lane. The shoulder is an option if both lanes are full, shoulder not recommended if the fuzz is near!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Baja Mexico Trail Ride Report
Big Bend Ranch Drive and Ride Report
Trl Rdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #154
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
I find it rather ironic that folks bitch and complain others don't follow the rules of the road and use it as an excuse to not follow the laws.
The main reason traffic is a cluster fuck here compared to europe is they follow the rules and laws
Nope. I can sum it up in 2 words. "Proper Courtesy".

We don't has it.

We are, generally, inconsiderate pinheads or clueless idiots when on the road.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #155
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
All you clueless peoples out there...If a beaten old 4cyl Jeep YJ with 31" mudders, stock gears, and a kayak on the roof-rack can best 65MPH before merging onto a 70MPH interstate, I'm pretty sure your new 6cyl sedan can muster 55MPH by then without breaking a sweat. If you don't want people constantly getting the urge to kick your ass, don't come down the ramp at 40MPH and then cut over 3 lanes without a signal, regardless of surrounding traffic, to park it in the left while doing the speed limit. You aren't teaching anybody anything, other than the fact that you're a douchebag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Lime View Post

Around here it's the same, except cross the solid white line WAY before the ramp ends, doing 45- 50 mph, shooting across 2 or three lanes, without signalling.

And it doesn't matter if there is traffic.
Kommando, I think it's a state law, or something.
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #156
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Drive as fast or as slow as you want. As long as you're being safe enough and courteous enough to not endanger/anger everybody else around you,
I think thats exactly what he was saying.

Quote:
Nope. I can sum it up in 2 words. "Proper Courtesy".

We don't has it.

We are, generally, inconsiderate pinheads or clueless idiots when on the road.
I would sum it up in one word, selfish.
Too many people ride/drive with the attitude, me first-my way-screw you, regardless of the lane they use, or how fast or slow they go

The fact is "rules of the road" and "traffic laws" are 2 separate things.

"Rules of the road" are commonly accepted driving practices that are not specifically covered by traffic laws, all drivers are supposedly obligated to follow both without picking and choosing as they see fit.
"Proper courtesy" would fall in the category of "rules of the road".and yes, we are sorely lacking in that. Too many folks confuse "proper courtesy" with always getting their way.

Sharing the road is about giving and taking on equal terms.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:53 AM   #157
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricochetrider View Post
In the past week, PA DOT has had signs all over the place saying "Keep Right, Pass Left- It's The Law".
Surprisingly, folks seem to be taking somewhat seriously.
Buddy of mine was a PA cop. He loved handing out those tickets.

Keep right.

...or else!

M
Old 03-28-2012, 06:04 AM   #158
gmiguy
You rode a what to where?

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
I find it rather ironic that folks bitch and complain others don't follow the rules of the road and use it as an excuse to not follow the laws.
Like it or not, driving/riding is a group activity, and you have to accept you won't always get your way.
I'm not complaining about left lane campers or slowpokes, I'm just proposing an effective way to deal with the issue - pass anywhere you have room and then forget about them. Treat them the same way you would a boulder or a moose in the road: less judgement, more avoidance.

I'm perfectly comfortable with the notion that I won't get my way all the time; but not all inconveniences are created equal.
Red light in a busy intersection? I stop, no problem.
Ambulance? School bus unloading? I stop and make room, no problem.
Road closed due to construction? Take the detour, of course. No problem.
Doodlebug camping in the left lane? Pass them wherever possible. No problem.

The difference here is that the first three examples are an impediment to traffic flow as a side effect of performing some other useful and necessary task. The last one is just somebody driving slow.

I submit that the law is a terrible guide to right and wrong, as it's easy to find multiple examples of things that are clearly morally good that were once illegal and things that are clearly morally repugnant that were one allowed by law.
gmiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:12 AM   #159
Tall Man
Freelancer

Oddometer: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Buddy of mine was a PA cop. He loved handing out [Keep Right/Pass Left] tickets.
If I wore a government-sanctioned costume, I'd probably concentrate my efforts on two areas of enforcement:

1. Keep Right/Pass Left; and
2. Citing those rude jerks that discharge their grass clippings on to the road. One lane is always covered, and there's never any cleanup later on.

Either way, no warnings. They're going to receive a piece of payin' paper, for sure.
Tall Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:57 AM   #160
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Man View Post
If I wore a government-sanctioned costume, I'd probably concentrate my efforts on two areas of enforcement:

1. Keep Right/Pass Left; and
2. Citing those rude jerks that discharge their grass clippings on to the road. One lane is always covered, and there's never any cleanup later on.

Either way, no warnings. They're going to receive a piece of payin' paper, for sure.
Yeah. He hates that too. Bitched about it just the other day on our bicycle ride.

Basic stupidity will usually get you a ticket with him. Drive semi-rationally and he'll usually overlook a lot.

M
Old 03-28-2012, 08:51 AM   #161
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmiguy View Post
I'm not complaining about left lane campers or slowpokes, I'm just proposing an effective way to deal with the issue - pass anywhere you have room and then forget about them. Treat them the same way you would a boulder or a moose in the road: less judgement, more avoidance.
Thats all well and good when it can be done safely without doing something stupid like passing on the shoulder, in a blind corner, erratic weaving through traffic, or using aggressive/intimidating behavior.
Too often people use the failings of others as an excuse to do something even dumber. 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmiguy View Post
I submit that the law is a terrible guide to right and wrong, as it's easy to find multiple examples of things that are clearly morally good that were once illegal and things that are clearly morally repugnant that were one allowed by law.
Well if we limit the discussion to traffic laws, I will agree that they can be arbitrary or excessive at times, but you must remember that their main intent is to make traffic flow orderly, predictable and efficient. When everybody drives/rides by their own rules it turns into mayhem.

I'm realize there are times and places when it's reasonable to stretch the rules and sometimes the best option, I'm not suggesting anal observance of traffic rules and laws, but in general taking liberties should be the exception, not the rule it is with some.

IMO, it's the difference between doing what is reasonable, opposed to doing whatever you can get away with.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #162
HONKR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Saw a guy on a BMW whatever going south on 400 in the left lane at 65 mph.....

Amazing he didn't get killed with all the asshats that go 80+ mph while using everyone as a chicane!
Old 03-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #163
high dangler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
there has to be a mental defect with the people that think they have the right to park in left lane.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:38 PM   #164
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONKR View Post
Saw a guy on a BMW whatever going south on 400 in the left lane at 65 mph.....

Amazing he didn't get killed with all the asshats that go 80+ mph while using everyone as a chicane!
There wouldn't be any "chicanes" if no asshats were blocking the left lane.

If people around here assertively passed and then moved right, faster traffic could flow at over 80MPH while others toodled along in the right lane at 10-under...without any major issue. The interstates are ridiculously straight and flat, with good sight-lines and relatively light traffic. The majority of drivers are idiots though, and like to clump up and pace each other while occupying as many lanes as possible. It's like they're afraid to let anyone pass and get too far away or something.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:26 PM   #165
HONKR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
There wouldn't be any "chicanes" if no asshats were blocking the left lane.

If people around here assertively passed and then moved right, faster traffic could flow at over 80MPH while others toodled along in the right lane at 10-under...without any major issue. The interstates are ridiculously straight and flat, with good sight-lines and relatively light traffic. The majority of drivers are idiots though, and like to clump up and pace each other while occupying as many lanes as possible. It's like they're afraid to let anyone pass and get too far away or something.
True. But the idiots here in Atlanta ARE asshats!