Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2012, 12:59 PM   #76
211Chuck
Eat,Sleep,Breath M/C

Oddometer: 60
[QUOTE=Ritalin Boy;18270803]While we're at it of the close to 35,000 IBA members only 14 have done more than 100k in 12 months.

Even 80k is quite an accomplishment, especially when it can be documented. Well actually *if* it can be documented would be more accurate.[/QUOTE

I know of 3 other people on this forum alone that have rode more then 100,000 miles a year many times and
their not IBA members. One even did back to back 100,000 + mile years and one is a lady"

I don't know what your point is? In all my years of riding I've met probably 100+ riders that have rode 100,000+
miles a year. I don't ask for a certificate or license plate frame to prove anything, but I sure enjoy their road
stories.

That's just me though, my parents brought me up to show respect to my fellow man and not to go around
telling people their full of $h!t every time I meet someone that's done more in their life then I have...

It doesn't matter where you go in life, it's who you have beside you.

211Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #77
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,165
and all of this has nothing to do with the OP. No wonder people get banned and can never come back. With BS like this, who wants to deal with it.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #78
211Chuck
Eat,Sleep,Breath M/C

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
and all of this has nothing to do with the OP. No wonder people get banned and can never come back. With BS like this, who wants to deal with it.

I knew there had to be more people around this forum with the same feelings as me

It doesn't matter where you go in life, it's who you have beside you.

211Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #79
TrashCan OP
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 3,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by 211Chuck View Post
I knew there had to be more people around this forum with the same feelings as me

You are the one that put 50,000 to 80,000 miles per year in this thread.

I just called you on it.

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:23 PM   #80
vecchio Lupo
Diplomatico Di Moto

Oddometer: 420
Which Lane??

While we are on left lane blockers, rather than "Shut Up" , "No, you Shut Up", "No You"..................

I recently moved back home to the USA after several years in Europe, the big E has problems, but blocking the left lane is not one of them. I am now of the opinion that as far as the proverbial "First" world is concerned, Americans in General drive like Asshats.

I'm ready, Commence with the BLOODLETTING!

Moto Guzzi, going out of business since 1921
"Remember, Italian motorcycles are like Italian women, sometimes they stab you for no reason."
vecchio Lupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #81
TrashCan OP
Scary Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecchio Lupo View Post
While we are on left lane blockers, rather than "Shut Up" , "No, you Shut Up", "No You"..................

I recently moved back home to the USA after several years in Europe, the big E has problems, but blocking the left lane is not one of them. I am now of the opinion that as far as the proverbial "First" world is concerned, Americans in General drive like Asshats.

I agree with you.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #82
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer: 5,126
[QUOTE=211Chuck;18270895]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post
While we're at it of the close to 35,000 IBA members only 14 have done more than 100k in 12 months.

Even 80k is quite an accomplishment, especially when it can be documented. Well actually *if* it can be documented would be more accurate.[/QUOTE

I know of 3 other people on this forum alone that have rode more then 100,000 miles a year many times and
their not IBA members. One even did back to back 100,000 + mile years and one is a lady"

I don't know what your point is? In all my years of riding I've met probably 100+ riders that have rode 100,000+
miles a year. I don't ask for a certificate or license plate frame to prove anything, but I sure enjoy their road
stories.

That's just me though, my parents brought me up to show respect to my fellow man and not to go around
telling people their full of $h!t every time I meet someone that's done more in their life then I have...
It's a by-product of the medium.

Any jack-off with a computer can come along and claim just about anything they want. Often the louder the shout the less there is behind it. You're first month on Adv Rider and it's all about letting us know your "cred." WGAF.

So some of us have seen enough keyboard cowboys come and go, plus in my case my biggest year was around 50k and wouldn't have happened without a few 1k days. So when some guy comes along and claims to have ridden 2k in one day on a naked bike in the 70's? or has done 100k a year more than once or 80k in a year on the SE mountains all while working full time it stretches the imagination a bit.

Personally if I did half the stuff you have claimed I'd want some method of verification just to shut the naysayers up, because you have to admit some of it strains credibility. That's all.

Edit: Google a guy (or look him up on the IBA ride page) by the name of Dave Zien. He's record is right around what your claim and it's documented. If you read the stuff he's done to get to a few million miles you would see why it's so hard to believe a casual commuter could match it.
Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #83
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
You are the one that put 50,000 to 80,000 miles per year in this thread.

I just called you on it.
and it's irrelivent to the OP. Leave it out.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #84
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,339
[QUOTE=211Chuck;18270895]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post
While we're at it of the close to 35,000 IBA members only 14 have done more than 100k in 12 months.

stories.

OK, I'm not calling you a liar, I'm just curious. How does one ride 80K in one year? That's over 200 miles per day every day or 1500+ miles per week. My best year ever was around 30K. I could not conceive of of riding that far unless I win the lottery and retire early.....and even then I doubt I'd ride that much.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #85
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

and it's irrelevant to the OP.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #86
gastone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by 211Chuck View Post
I use to live in your neck of the woods: Charlotte NC. area. My wife and I use to ride to Daytona Florida many
times a year in the winter to visit & ride with friends. We use to run 100+MPH most all the way down and back.

If'n he's doing 100+MPH, 200 miles per day can done in less than two hours. Still a fair bit of riding on a daily basis, but I'm willing to cut him some slack and believe him. Throw in a 2k mile day or two and he's really going to make a dent in that 80k per year. Heck, 40 2k miles days and he's got 80k miles right there. He can then take the 320+ other days off.

Edit: I was heading up 95N Monday night. A Chevy Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon/Denali merges onto the interstate about 200 yards in front of me. Ahead of me it was clear in all 3 lanes for at least a quarter mile. The truck proceeds to signal and move across all three lanes and park himself in the far left lane. I was traveling at about 73 in a 65. He was doing a fair bit slower.

A buddy and I were having this conversation this weekend about traffic occupying the left lane. My belief is that it has gotten progressively worse in the past 15 years or so. 100+ million asshat American drivers aren't going to have an epiphany one day and start driving what I deem is correct. These days I keep my speed a bit above the speed of traffic and pass as needed. I try to keep the passing to the left, but if you are camped out in the left lane then right it is.
VAC
You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty...

gastone screwed with this post 03-21-2012 at 03:09 PM
gastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #87
TrashCan OP
Scary Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
and it's irrelevant to the OP.

Chill dude, or start your own thread, a lot of threads go a little off track.

And I am sure that 100,000 miles per year involves some left lane blockage.

I too had a car pull out from the right, on a 4 lane road, and proceed to cross the first lane to left lane.

No other traffic but me on that stretch of road???

TrashCan screwed with this post 03-21-2012 at 03:27 PM
Old 03-21-2012, 05:31 PM   #88
Nophix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
If people knew how to fucking merge, I bet a lot of these guys pulling trailers would avoid the left lane more often. As it is, people just cruise merrily down on ramps expecting the whole world to yield to them. Very annoying in a normal car, but extremely frustrating pulling a rig that takes longer to brake and get back up to speed and wastes twice the fuel.

Just a guess.
Good god, tell me about it! Im a truck driver for a living, and its irritating as hell! Little secret, most of us have quit moving over. Get on the gas or get on behind us. Why do people have such a hard time using the gas peddle?
Nophix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #89
high dangler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
i blame lazy people with their stupid cruise control for most of the left lane blockage.
If the car doing the passing has CC set at 70mph and they are passing another car doing 70.2 mph it might take them 5 min to make the pass and get back in the right lane . Just to godamn lazy or scared to to put their foot on the gas.
I see the big trucks do this alot .
If you cant make the pass in 20 seconds you should just stay in the slow lane.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #90
V@lentino
Inspektor

Oddometer: 815
Laugh You said it

Quote:

Vecchio,

You beat me to it. I would add Canadians to the mixed, we are also pathetic. This include the inability to merge or understand the concept of yield. I rode bikes in India recently, and apart from the fact that the left lane is the right, the least I can say is that their driving is organic. We need someone from OZ to tell us about the drivers down under.

Generally speaking N.A is a very low context society, meaning that we are desensitized, taught to be non-responsible for our actions, and too often unaccountable for them also. We are also over-regulated and rely on everything but our senses, and common sense. Just notice it when you come to a busy intersection, and count how many signs there are telling you to stop/or go, include the painted lines. The furthest you travel away from the Western world, the more “high context” societies become, meaning people (in general) rely more on their surroundings to make decisions - such as when to go or not at a busy roundabout or intersection with practically no indications.

It's why apart from a few states, lane splitting is illegal. I am sure someone will chime in about safety and security, but that is my point exactly, in perpetuates the system. This applies to pedal bike helmets (non competition), also. If you have ever been to the Netherlands you know what I am talking about. I am not saying be done with safety (I'm an everyday, all weather ATGATT rider), just that in N.A in general it's over the top.

After spending a summer riding in the EU, I mistakenly parked my bike on the sidewalk when I was back in Winnipeg. This was in the downtown area, on a large side walk and I parked perpendicular to the street, away from pedestrian traffic. I got back prior to the LEO giving me a ticket; he convincingly told me that if everybody would do that it would be anarchy...

Case in point... low context

Quote:

Re. the sidetrack of the thread, what kind of oil are you two using?

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote