Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2012, 07:14 PM   #91
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastone View Post
I was heading up 95N Monday night. A Chevy Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon/Denali merges onto the interstate about 200 yards in front of me. Ahead of me it was clear in all 3 lanes for at least a quarter mile. The truck proceeds to signal and move across all three lanes and park himself in the far left lane. I was traveling at about 73 in a 65. He was doing a fair bit slower.
At least he signalled.

Around here it's the same, except cross the solid white line WAY before the ramp ends, doing 45- 50 mph, shooting across 2 or three lanes, without signalling.

And it doesn't matter if there is traffic.
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going,
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:28 AM   #92
vecchio Lupo
Diplomatico Di Moto

Oddometer: 414
How far off is off?

I agree, if you are attempting to average 200 miles a day, everyday, you must be using a semi synthetic oil in your vintage Z1 Race Bike. I've heard you should add a dollup of bacon grease (Canadian Bacon) to the crank case to ensure prolonged throttle cable service life. What have you heard?

Moto Guzzi, going out of business since 1921
"Remember, Italian motorcycles are like Italian women, sometimes they stab you for no reason."
vecchio Lupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:29 AM   #93
Kamloopsrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
[QUOTE=ac_elite;18273556]Vecchio,

You beat me to it. I would add Canadians to the mixed, we are also pathetic. This include the inability to merge or understand the concept of yield. I rode bikes in India recently, and apart from the fact that the left lane is the right, the least I can say is that their driving is organic. We need someone from OZ to tell us about the drivers down under.

Generally speaking N.A is a very low context society, meaning that we are desensitized, taught to be non-responsible for our actions, and too often unaccountable for them also. We are also over-regulated and rely on everything but our senses, and common sense. Just notice it when you come to a busy intersection, and count how many signs there are telling you to stop/or go, include the painted lines. The furthest you travel away from the Western world, the more “high context” societies become, meaning people (in general) rely more on their surroundings to make decisions - such as when to go or not at a busy roundabout or intersection with practically no indications.

It's why apart from a few states, lane splitting is illegal. I am sure someone will chime in about safety and security, but that is my point exactly, in perpetuates the system. This applies to pedal bike helmets (non competition), also. If you have ever been to the Netherlands you know what I am talking about. I am not saying be done with safety (I'm an everyday, all weather ATGATT rider), just that in N.A in general it's over the top.

After spending a summer riding in the EU, I mistakenly parked my bike on the sidewalk when I was back in Winnipeg. This was in the downtown area, on a large side walk and I parked perpendicular to the street, away from pedestrian traffic. I got back prior to the LEO giving me a ticket; he convincingly told me that if everybody would do that it would be anarchy...

Case in point... low context

Absolutely correct.
There is a term I learned recently, " Risk homeostasis" This speaks to the fact that the more safety systems we develop the more people rely on them. For example, the better we make braking systems the more people rely on them and the closer they will follow the vehicle in front of them. In the end there is a short term improvement in safety but over a short period of time people adjust and accident rates return to previous levels.
The easier we make it to drive the less people think about their driving. The less people think about driving the more they think about themselves. The more time they spend thinking about themselves the greater their sense of entitlement. The greater their sense of entitlement the more time they spend in the left lane.
Kamloopsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:42 AM   #94
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,216
Speeders whining about left lane drivers.....typical asshattery....

If you can't/won't obey the traffic laws that don't suit you, STFU about others that break those you do adhere to. Relax, and enjoy the ride/drive. You'll live longer, incur less bullet wounds, ass whuppins, and stress related health problems ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #95
TrashCan OP
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 3,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tallnwide View Post

If you can't/won't obey the traffic laws that don't suit you, STFU about others that break those you do adhere to. Relax, and enjoy the ride/drive. You'll live longer, incur less bullet wounds, ass whuppins, and stress related health problems ....

You sound like a LLB.
When I go beep beep you better be movin right.

TrashCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:17 AM   #96
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,655
Quote:

Speeders don't affect Left Lane Drivers. Left Lane Drivers DO affect "speeders."

Regardless of the posted and operated speed, any person's disrespect to me creates their own consequenses. regardless of the "law."

weak and inattentive drivers go to the law. Makes them irresponsible for their inconsiderate actions. So they think.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:27 AM   #97
gastone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,824
Quote:

46.2-842.1 requires vehicles in the left lane to yield to faster traffic; State Police say this applies even when faster traffic is speeding.

That's the law in my state. So what I want is for left lane riders to GTF out of my way. If I get nailed speeding, I pay the fine. How about the same happens to the fuckknobs who hang out where they've got no business.
VAC
gastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:53 AM   #98
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
You sound like a LLB.
When I go beep beep you better be movin right.
I ain't movin' right until it's cool for me to do so, you can beep beep until it falls off for all I care....

I used to have a little S10 4x4 with an aluminium topper on it I pulled my Classic Gheenoe with. The big letters on the back on my boat read, "Paw Paw"....(I was a Paw Paw at 37 years of age). On the way down I-95 to farm pond 13 & stick marsh there would usually be some asshat doing 85 to 90 mph running up on me while I was passing an elderly person driving 69.99 MPH....my cruise was always set at 74 MPH (legal in Florida) so it would take a few seconds for me to finish my pass. This would usually piss the speeding asshat off enough to want to say something to me on his way by after I got back in the right lane....the look on their faces was priceless when they saw my 6'4" 275lb ass in the lil S10...

I try not to hold up traffic, I drive in the right lane as much as possible, but I ain't scared of BillyJoeInaHurryBadAss either....never have been, and as long as I can hit what I'm aiming at won't be either...

YMMV as always....

Old 03-22-2012, 12:00 PM   #99
TrashCan OP
Scary Jerry

Damn, you done gone and got me skeered to go down the road,

Old 03-22-2012, 12:05 PM   #100
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 1,584
i drive really slow
in the ultra fast lane
while people behind me
are going insane

i'm an asshole
i'm an asshole

LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #101
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
Damn, you done gone and got me skeered to go down the road,
Don't be "skeered", I'd much rather deal with someone that thinks he's the real deal, and got the upper hand...it's the "skeered" ones that usually shoot first....

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Speeders don't affect Left Lane Drivers. Left Lane Drivers DO affect "speeders."

Regardless of the posted and operated speed, any person's disrespect to me creates their own consequenses. regardless of the "law."

weak and inattentive drivers go to the law. Makes them irresponsible for their inconsiderate actions. So they think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastone View Post

46.2-842.1 requires vehicles in the left lane to yield to faster traffic; State Police say this applies even when faster traffic is speeding.

That's the law in my state. So what I want is for left lane riders to GTF out of my way. If I get nailed speeding, I pay the fine. How about the same happens to the fuckknobs who hang out where they've got no business.

Dang I love these threads....

Old 03-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #102
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post

Since both parties involved are actually doing wrong, wouldn't it be best if both were a little more considerate of the other.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #103
TrashCan OP
Scary Jerry

Quote:
Don't be "skeered", I'd much rather deal with someone that thinks he's the real deal, and got the upper hand...it's the "skeered" ones that usually shoot first....

Dang I love these threads....

Old 03-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #104
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by vecchio Lupo View Post
While we are on left lane blockers, rather than "Shut Up" , "No, you Shut Up", "No You"..................

I recently moved back home to the USA after several years in Europe, the big E has problems, but blocking the left lane is not one of them. I am now of the opinion that as far as the proverbial "First" world is concerned, Americans in General drive like Asshats.

I'm ready, Commence with the BLOODLETTING!
Yup. It's not really about the law either. There's no law saying somebody can't be an asshole. It's about courtesy.

I generally drive/ride fairly fast, but not go-directly-to-jail fast. If I'm backing up a car or two and there's only one lane in each direction, I find a spot to pull over and let faster traffic by. Rural Texans are generally pretty good about this too. If I'm doing 80 in a 65 and move left to pass, I get right back over so somebody doing 90 can cruise on by. If I'm in the right lane, and some asshat starts pacing me in their left lane, backing up traffic, I either speed up or slow down so traffic can get past the clueless one. It's the courteous thing to do, without being stupid about it, like the drivers who yield to left-turners for no good reason without warning.

Courtesy, without being overly so, makes traffic flow a lot better.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:38 PM   #105
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Yup. It's not really about the law either. There's no law saying somebody can't be an asshole. It's about courtesy.

I generally drive/ride fairly fast, but not go-directly-to-jail fast. If I'm backing up a car or two and there's only one lane in each direction, I find a spot to pull over and let faster traffic by. Rural Texans are generally pretty good about this too. If I'm doing 80 in a 65 and move left to pass, I get right back over so somebody doing 90 can cruise on by. If I'm in the right lane, and some asshat starts pacing me in their left lane, backing up traffic, I either speed up or slow down so traffic can get past the clueless one. It's the courteous thing to do, without being stupid about it, like the drivers who yield to left-turners for no good reason without warning.

Courtesy, without being overly so, makes traffic flow a lot better.

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote