Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2012, 07:51 AM   #16
scootermann
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexau View Post
Newcomers to the market include BMW with two 647 cc models, and Honda with a (high tunnel) 670 cc model that shares many parts with their NC700S & NC700X motorcycles.
As per Honda USA, only the NC700X dual sport will be in the USA for the foreseeable future. Which is odd, since the advantage of that new series is the commonality of all the bikes.

The Beemer is sweet, but will probably come in at over $10k stripped.
scootermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:03 AM   #17
Dismount OP
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,692
Yeah, I'm fairly sure I saw the 10k number mentioned. That aint gonna happen. If I had the $ and a close dealer, maybe. Too many downsides on that one for me.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:22 PM   #18
Dismount OP
Boring bastard

Looking at the prices, I'm getting the feeling that new maxi, with the exception of the 400 burger and one the xciting 500 models will be more than I want to spend.

What's the consensus on the xcitings?
Old 03-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #19
vex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismount View Post
Looking at the prices, I'm getting the feeling that new maxi, with the exception of the 400 burger and one the xciting 500 models will be more than I want to spend.

I'm interested to see the consensus as well. I just bought a used '09 500Ri with 2K miles on it. I've come across some medical issues as of late as well, and decided to part with one of my motos and buy a scooter so I can get back on two wheels, instead of waiting to try and throw a leg over one of my other motos. That could be a long time coming and I *can* get on a scooter at the moment.

I like it. Not a ton of power, not a ton of storage, but comfortable, smooth, and adequate brakes and suspension for getting around. I'm a ex-roadracer and I also like to do a bit of long distance road tripping and dualsporting, but I can't use any of my current or past motos to benchmark it. So with nothing to compare it to other than an old Aero 125 I owned years ago, it's perfectly adequate for the price.

The new TMax really caught my eye, but the 530 model isn't around yet and the price I paid for the 500Ri that I stumbled upon didn't have me waiting for a TMax or searching for a used one. I would likely have paid quite a bit more for it, too. If it turns out I won't be able to swing a leg over a "regular" moto, ever again, I'll certainly be looking hard at the TMax and the BMW as a permanent replacement.

Right now? Not worth the money to me. It might have been worth the money if I had the opportunity to actually ride the TMax, and I'm glad I didn't. My wallet can't really take that kind of beating right now. :)
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:29 PM   #20
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismount View Post

From what I've read (Road Tests, etc) one does not pick an Xciting 500i for the brakes. Leave more room between you and the vehicle ahead.

Conclusion- If you can swing the money for a Tmax, Silverwing, or a Burgy . . . go for that.
If the Xciting 500i is all you can afford, be prepared for slower riding, or bigger gaps.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:03 PM   #21
Dismount OP
Boring bastard

It don't get much slower than me

The mp3 looks interesting too, but again no dealers anywhere near me.

I'm not sure if I would like replacing three expensive assed motorcycles tires either. 2 is plenty. I really dig that armored tank look.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:30 AM   #22
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
The Tmax is an engineering work of art that doesnt follow the same mold as the Burgman or Silver Wing.
The Tmax is the sport bike of the maxi scooters, its designed for perfect balance with the weight down low and center with large diameter tires with crotch rocket suspension and brakes. The new BMW is a copy cat of the Tmax. The new Honda NC700 is simular in design as the Tmax with the weight down low.
I did ride the Burgman, and the Burgman doesn't come close as better handling than the Tmax, but if you had the Burgman engine mounted in the Tmax frame you would have the best, but at the same time the engine in the Tmax will do the job but you won't win any races with it, you can really notice the difference with the larger tires and better suspension on the Tmax when riding on bad and uneven roads.
Before I purchaced my Tmax I wanted the Burgman, but the snotty stuck up Suzuki dealers made that impossible for me to hand over my hard earned money to any dealer I hated, and I bet anybody right now shopping for a scooter is going to have a bigger problem cause everybody wants a scooter and with the dealers only having so many on stock they will ask for a top price,, I do know the hottest selling scooter right now is the Honda PCX with the $3395 MSRP and they are selling for $3995. Motorcycle dealers have a problem selling scooters, they promote and advertize the big cruiser bikes and sort of forget they also sell scooters, they don't want to stock any scooters cause selling scooters makes them look bad, they think scooters are a passing fad that will quickly die off, ever notice how dealers display scooters in their showrooms? The scooters are always in the back where they cant be seen, they never display any scooter next to a big cruiser show bike cause it makes it looks bad. I know half of the Honda, Suzuki Dealers in my area don't even sell or stock any scooters, dealers call scooters "toys" and they feel selling toys make them look bad....
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:16 AM   #23
Dismount OP
Boring bastard

The honda dealer in town usually has 1 scooter. Last I looked it was a little 50cc jobber with pretty little flowers painted on it. It was cute.

Suzuki/kawasaki place... no new scooters. Occasionally they will have a used one.

Polaris/victory place... of course not.

Yamaha place... nothin.

That's no matter really, I'll hunt em down. I got plenty of time.

I'm fine with OK handling. I really am slow. It's pretty rare for me to get after the right hand grip. If it will go around curves without me thinking I should be praying... Bouncy road handling would be nice though, potholes are the official state animal of WV . Comfort, both on the interstate and off are what interest me the most in addition to that sweet sweet scooter storage. I hate the big roads, but I don't always want to take double or triple the time to get somewhere.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:25 AM   #24
Twisted Martini
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
I fell in love with the TMAX the first time I saw it, and was lucky enough to buy one 2 years later. I switched up from a 85 Honda Elite. Plenty of power, handles like a dream, great brakes, decent storage, it has exceeded my expectations. I ride 2-up all the time and don't have any problems.

Here's a Maxi shootout review that Motorcycle magazine did last year.
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/14/103...-Shootout.aspx

And if you want to go REALLY big, looks like Aprilia is bringing their 850 over here...
http://www.apriliasrv850.com/en/

Just keep in mind that any Maxi is going to be pricey. IMHO, well worth it.
Twisted Martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:05 AM   #25
Dismount OP
Boring bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Martini View Post
I fell in love with the TMAX the first time I saw it, and was lucky enough to buy one 2 years later. I switched up from a 85 Honda Elite. Plenty of power, handles like a dream, great brakes, decent storage, it has exceeded my expectations. I ride 2-up all the time and don't have any problems.

Here's a Maxi shootout review that Motorcycle magazine did last year.
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/14/103...-Shootout.aspx

And if you want to go REALLY big, looks like Aprilia is bringing their 850 over here...
http://www.apriliasrv850.com/en/

Just keep in mind that any Maxi is going to be pricey. IMHO, well worth it.
650 burger msrp $9,899
Silverwing msrp 9270
2011 TMAX 8590

So far the max is in the lead.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:21 PM   #26
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
Decision, decisions....

About a six months ago I was shopping for a new scooter, and I narrowed it down to the Burgman 650, the TMax, and the Yamaha Majesty. I'm a pretty big guy too, at around 6'-2" and 240-250 lbs., geared up. I drove a new Burgman 650 and absolutely loved it, but was more than a little put off by the price. Great power, great handling, great ride quality. This is a serious machine that a person could ride and enjoy for years.

As someone else here said, the TMax is an engineering masterpiece. Great handling, more than enough power, great brakes, but like the Burgman, they're not exactly giving them away. Cockpit was also just a wee bit tight for me, though I'm sure I could get used to it.

Basically it came down to almost ten grand for the Burgman vs, eight grand for the TMax, vs. a little over four grand for an almost new, very low-mileage '09 Majesty.

I picked the Majesty. Decent power, decent handling, very good top end, good brakes. Fairly comfortable for me, for distances up to 50-60 miles between rest breaks. (..but I have arthritis and bad hips, and need to stop often) In all honesty, it has the power for the freeway, but it gets blown around a bit by traffic. If it's a sunny, calm day on the freeway/highway, and traffic's light, then the Majesty will do just fine. If it's windy, or there's a lot of truck traffic, I prefer to take surface streets.

If money were no object, I'd be driving the Burgman 650. If I were a little richer (and a little less conservative, money-wise), I'd be driving the TMax. Bottom line is, the Majesty is a pretty darn nice machine in every respect, and it was about half the price of the next step up the food chain (the TMax). I guess you gotta do your own calculus, and figure out what makes the most sense for you.

p.s. I ruled out the Silverwing because it felt a little cramped to me. I ruled out the Burgman 400 because it looks like low-grade dog food ( in my opinion) when compared to the finely sculpted Majesty.

HandKPhil screwed with this post 03-23-2012 at 04:32 PM
HandKPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #27
thunderkat59
Cooter on a scooter

Oddometer: 1,189
Where will you actually spend your time riding ?
I have a 2t 50cc that is the ULTIMATE city tool.
I also have a 400 Burgman (For Sale, he he he).
I wouldnt expect someone to want a 50--but trying
to make a point--get a bike for what you really need.
The Burgman is a car in city traffic for all intents and
purposes . . . Riding a 650 in traffic would be like carrying
an anchor around in my opinion. My semi-practical rule of thumb:
Traffic = 150-250
Open road twisties = 400
Highway, touring = 650
thunderkat59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:16 AM   #28
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

The Suzuki Burgman is an old mans scooter that you want to putt-putt on at a slow pace
The Honda Silver Wing is a just a in the town or city scooter that you want to make a quick trip to the coffee shop and hang out.
The Tmax is the sport bike of the mega-scooters, its the one you want to ride on the twisty roads with a big smile on your face, its the "crotch rocket" of the mega scooters.

its too bad you can't buy a new Tmax even if you wanted one, its too bad you have to buy another brand and settle for less,,, you're missing out on a lot
Old 03-24-2012, 02:34 AM   #29
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

When I allow my friends a test ride on my Tmax and they take it for a short ride at 25 mph around the block they are not impressed with it, but when they test ride it on the highway or the back twisty roads at high speeds they are AMAZED with it, they love it, they want to buy one!
I like to harrass the young girls that ride the big Harley's, I will pull up next to them on my Tmax and ask them how they clutch and shift the gear shift lever at the same time? They look at my Tmax and discover its automatic and laugh and giggle at me, then they explain to me how to shift gears, then when i ask them how do they know when its the right time to shift to a higher gear they are dumb-founded! They are sooooo cute and dumb!
Old 03-24-2012, 06:02 AM   #30
thunderkat59
Cooter on a scooter

Oddometer: 1,189
This ---> Genuine Blur, is a total hotrod for limited, mixed riding . . .
Might want to at least look into them

thunderkat59 is offline   Reply With Quote