Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2012, 06:03 AM   #31
thunderkat59
Cooter on a scooter

Oddometer: 1,188
This ---> Genuine Blur, is a total hotrod for limited, mixed riding . . .
Might want to at least look into them

thunderkat59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #32
bandito2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismount View Post
650 burger msrp $9,899
Silverwing msrp 9270
2011 TMAX 8590

So far the max is in the lead.
But a good used scoot of a smaller, yet adequate displacement suitable to criteria you have described; 250cc - 400cc
would cost about 1/3 of a new high end maxi-scooter. When I first saw a 600 Burgman years ago when they first came
out, I dearly wished there was such a thing in the 350cc range. I thought that size would be absolutely perferct since
the 200cc Yamaha Riva I owned at the time was gutless over 50mph and 50cc was never enough for much of anything
since it was WFO ALL THE TIME.

I went from here in southeast Michigan to Eureka Springs Arkansas last September on my 250cc Honda Reflex. (800
miles one way, 2000 miles for the whole trip) 70-75mph on expressway while pulling my single wheel trailer. I guess
my point is; do you really want practical or or do you think having pretty bling bling will get you where you want to go
any better? Nothing wrong with either choice actually; more of a matter of personal and financial preference. My idea
would be to get what works for what you want to do for what you are willing to spend. You are more likely to be happy
long term with something that fits within that realm than not. Nobody wants to feel like they stuck themselves with a
bike that is in some way below their needs or desires. Try to avoid resentments and regrets and you'll avoid wasting
time, money and personal energies.

BTW pulling the single wheel trailer dropped my normal mid 70's MPG down to something like 55MPG but my speed
never dropped below 51 mph when going up the hills. (keeping momentum from down hill helped) But also, pulling the
trailer at 70-75mph was at or near WFO. (depending) Normally without the trailer that is not required nor in either
case do I ever go over RPM redline.(must be because of the car tire I use on the rear end.)

Just my 2 cents.
"Darkside" Honda Reflex. "Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."
bandito2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:55 AM   #33
Dismount OP
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Where will you actually spend your time riding ?
I have a 2t 50cc that is the ULTIMATE city tool.
I also have a 400 Burgman (For Sale, he he he).
I wouldnt expect someone to want a 50--but trying
to make a point--get a bike for what you really need.
The Burgman is a car in city traffic for all intents and
purposes . . . Riding a 650 in traffic would be like carrying
an anchor around in my opinion. My semi-practical rule of thumb:
Traffic = 150-250
Open road twisties = 400
Highway, touring = 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
The Suzuki Burgman is an old mans scooter that you want to putt-putt on at a slow pace
The Honda Silver Wing is a just a in the town or city scooter that you want to make a quick trip to the coffee shop and hang out.
The Tmax is the sport bike of the mega-scooters, its the one you want to ride on the twisty roads with a big smile on your face, its the "crotch rocket" of the mega scooters.

its too bad you can't buy a new Tmax even if you wanted one, its too bad you have to buy another brand and settle for less,,, you're missing out on a lot
To the first, traffic is relative heh I think my entire county only hasa population of 70k or so. With that in mind, even when they do bunch up it's nothing like real city traffic. I avoid real cities as if they were radioactive.

So where do I actually ride.... That's a good question. I ride to work, and pretty much anywhere else in town I can that doesn't require a large hauling capacity. That ride to work can be anything from stoplight to stoplight, to mountain twisties, to an hour on the interstate. About the only thing I don't experience on a regular basis are great plains flatness or the high elevations of the rockies.

I don't think there is a machine designed to do all things perfectly, I'm looking for one that will do all those acceptably, and not leave me at the end sore and complaining. I like the twisties, and we have some great roads here, I will use the tires out as close to the edge as I can without levering myself off the road. But i have no illusions about being really fast. I don't have the skills or the reactions for it.

So that's :wind and weather protection, comfort short and long range, storage as much as I can get, Handling that won'tscare the shit out of me , and won't explode with regular use.

Thanks for all the advice.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:02 AM   #34
Dismount OP
Boring bastard

Dhur. Typed so much I forgot to add some stuff in.

When I say long range comfort.... I mean a 500 mile day that won't leave me a pile of dog food at the end. 500 miles on the C50 (no wind protection, one foot position, no scooching around on the seat, being pried apart by wind) and I am done. Activities cease for the day. I need to be able to move around some. Scoots seem to have that naturally built in.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:48 PM   #35
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
500 mile days?

In my humble opinion, if you're thinking of doing very many 500 mile days, none of the feet-forward, 300-400cc scooters should be on your list. I have no personal experience with a Kymco Downtown 300, but I can just about guarantee you that your lower back will be on fire after 200-300 miles on that bike, a Burgman 400, or a Yamaha Majesty, unless you happen to be under 27 years old and in pretty good physical condition. It just inherently comes with the seating position and layout of these types of bikes. The Honda Helix also falls into this category, but due to it's more comfortable seat, it's not quite as bad as the other scooters mentioned above.

Sounds to me like your needs would be better served by a Silverwing (if it fits you), a Burgman 650, or maybe a BV 350 or 500, or Scarabeo 500. All of these have a more upright riding position, and suspensions better suited to long distances than those of the 400cc feet-forward scooters. In any event, it sounds like you've got some time to look around, do some research, and get some more opinions before you make your purchase. Good luck in your search!
Old 03-24-2012, 07:04 PM   #36
thunderkat59
Cooter on a scooter

Oddometer: 1,188
Thumb

Out of all the MC's in my sig, my Burgman is easily the most comfortable
bike I've ever ridden. My Stella was comfortable, and my little fitty cc
scootlette is more comfortable than my HD Sportster, but I digress . . .
Im pretty sure most people could do a multi-100 mile days on a Burgman.
Its not the most exciting bike ever, but good at a little bit of everything.
thunderkat59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #37
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandKPhil View Post
In my humble opinion, if you're thinking of doing very many 500 mile days, none of the feet-forward, 300-400cc scooters should be on your list. I have no personal experience with a Kymco Downtown 300, but I can just about guarantee you that your lower back will be on fire after 200-300 miles on that bike, a Burgman 400, or a Yamaha Majesty, unless you happen to be under 27 years old and in pretty good physical condition. It just inherently comes with the seating position . . .

Sounds to me like your needs would be better served by a Silverwing (if it fits you), a Burgman 650, or maybe a BV 350 or 500, or Scarabeo 500. All of these have a more upright riding position, and suspensions better suited to long distances than those of the 400cc feet-forward scooters . . .
The Silverwing (400 & 600) and Burgman 650 types seat the rider in the exact same posture that other feet-forward maxis do!

I beg to differ with your analysis. At the age of 57 I did a 8-hour ride south, with the return ride the next afternoon, on a 2005 Majesty 400. The average cruiser seat one in a similar orientation with more exposure to the elements.

For better back comfort on the usual (laidback) 400-650cc Japanese maxi, one can just add a backrest to give more support higher up the spine:

Backrests

Some just perform a Buttrest to Backrest conversion!
Old 03-25-2012, 07:50 AM   #38
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
I'm doing a pretty substantial health change thing at the moment. I believe I've decided to go scooter as a reward for whenever I get to my end goal. I know I want a maxi, but I have no idea which one.

Not that it's something happening soon, but what the hell. It don't hurt to yak about such things.

6'1, 32 inch inseam, I don't expect to be spending any money till I'm at 250 or below..... so a couple of years away. I'll be doing the saving up thing to pay cash for whatever it is as well.

I've perched on a 650 and 400 burger. Liked em both. Maybe the 400 a little more, but not a great amount for comfort.

Seen but not sat on a silverwing.

Never even seen a tmax.

Last scooter type contraption I rode was a moped in my teen years. All duty, commutes, short, twisties, carrying lots of crap, etc etc Suggestions? Comments?
Dismount,
I'm 68 yrs 6'0' and 200#. I just put a deposit on a Burg 400. I didn't get to ride it, it's a 2012 and just arrived at the dealer. I have been think about a Maxi for some time. I sat on all the popular models and the 400 just felt right. I've been reading about these for a while and haven't read anything bad. I thought I wanted a T-max but it just didn't feel as comfortable. At my age comfort is important. I will be using this as my everyday machine, keeping the RT for touring, and the DRZ for DS very rarely. I just sold the Tiger. Good luck with your decision, I'm sure I made the right one. By the way there are a lot of used Maxi's on CL.
'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:33 AM   #39
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
It seems to perform fine on the highway, just feels kind on "anxious". Backroad crawling it's quite good at, as long as you don't expect too much in the lean department. Seems to get about 45-50 mpg no matter what you do to it, or how you flog it. Fill ups are 3.3 gallons @ 150 miles almost religiously.

Being in wishbone position with 70+ mph wind trying to split you up the middle is what kills me. After an hour you're uncomy, after 5 you're in legitimate pain, after 12 you've spent the last 4 hours trying to use a bungee cord to hold your knees into the tank.

Nearest bmw Dealer is anywhere from 109 to140 miles away. Thats a looooong way when your scoot needs work. Pretty dang spendy too. I suspect beemrs aren't in my future. Same with triumph if I decided to go scrambler or bonnie.

I do like the looks of the XX700 series from honda. will be haunting the local dealers to drool on those for sure.

I would like something that feels relaxed at highway speeds.

Bike shopping is half the fun. Might as well make it last

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate em.
I see. My 85 Shadow 700 has the same range problem, with it running right now I only have about 130 miles and I's out! Maybe if 155 and it's completely empty if you drive carefully. My ideal is to just put me a couple 1 gallon gas tanks in the bags for extra range.

The bike is pretty comfortable, the seat can make my back hurt a little after a long time. But the pegs is too close, makes my knees sore after a 300-600 miles day.

Its alright but, the wind really sucks ass with it. It hurts MPG like crazy, makes it a bit uncomfortable, and the engine doesn't love it, since it isn't that much torque, espically at cruising RPMs.

I am fixin to buy a Harley this summer, the old Shadows a great bike, but it isn't the best all day bike availible, without some comfort work.

First I's looking at Dynas, but I'm now thinking about a full touring bike? Maybe a Road King, or an Electra Glide would be nice! For 1000 mile days I plan on once in a while too! A Dyna can do it but I think why not be more comfortable if its an option?

For you, I think you may want a 600+ cc. For LONG trips on the highway more cc is better in general. Bigger is NOT always better, but usually for touring. Even if no more HP, its far more torquy, and wind don't hardly effect it. Also, the 600 is much heavier= better on the highway and winds.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #40
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexau View Post
The Silverwing (400 & 600) and Burgman 650 types seat the rider in the exact same posture that other feet-forward maxis do!

I beg to differ with your analysis. At the age of 57 I did a 8-hour ride south, with the return ride the next afternoon, on a 2005 Majesty 400. The average cruiser seat one in a similar orientation with more exposure to the elements.

For better back comfort on the usual (laidback) 400-650cc Japanese maxi, one can just add a backrest to give more support higher up the spine:

Backrests

Some just perform a Buttrest to Backrest conversion!

I guess you and I will have to agree to disagree then . I have owned a Burgman 400, a Honda Helix, and I currently own a Yamaha Majesty 400. I have also logged a few miles on a Burgman 650. I would absolutely disagree that the seating position on a Silverwing 600 or a Burgman 650 is exactly the same as a Majesty 400 or Burgman 400. ( I don't think we get the Silverwing 400 here) I have also owned a Honda VTX 1300 (cruiser), and I have to say it was far more capable of doing a 500 mile day in comfort than my Majesty. I think maybe your butts down there in Australia are constructed differently than our American ones.

HandKPhil screwed with this post 03-25-2012 at 03:04 PM
HandKPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:48 AM   #41
Dismount OP
Boring bastard

Heh don't get me wrong, 500 mile days are few and far between. 98% of the time I'm not interested in making miles.

But when I am, I'd rather not show up looking, smelling, and feeling like something the cat coughed up. Come to think of it, that might be an improvement.

I've owned a psuedo sport tourer in the past. Ye olde Katana. The feet tucked under,mslight lean forward...didn't work so well for me. It was my upper back and knees that give me trouble there.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:09 AM   #42
Dismount OP
Boring bastard

There, now that I've got a proper keyboard, this might be a bit easier. Stupid iPad.

I tore a muscle in my back way way back when. Since then, forward lean for any amount of time = back spasm just under my right shoulder blade. The lower back is fairly steady. The knees complain after about half an hour in the tucked under position. I need my knees to be about 88 degrees or above to keep my legs from falling off.

With the exception of the scramblers, bonnies, and most ds bikes, I look at what are "standards" these days, and the first thing that Always comes to mind is, gotta move those pegs forward 3 or 4 inches.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:52 PM   #43
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
I really don't care what you people think! I get sick reading all the cut down comments about the Yamaha Tmax and you people never even sat on one , more or less ride one!
funny how you call this a scooter forum and have such nice things to say about a no-name Chinese 50cc scooter but the same people cut down and make fun of the Tmax, a blind man can see the Tmax is a threat to you, you people hate the Tmax cause you know its one of the best and you're afraid it will make the scooter you own look bad!
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #44
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
I really don't care what you people think! I get sick reading all the cut down comments about the Yamaha Tmax and you people never even sat on one , more or less ride one!
funny how you call this a scooter forum and have such nice things to say about a no-name Chinese 50cc scooter but the same people cut down and make fun of the Tmax, a blind man can see the Tmax is a threat to you, you people hate the Tmax cause you know its one of the best and you're afraid it will make the scooter you own look bad!
Are you 15 ?
'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #45
Hardguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkgeiger View Post
Are you 15 ?
He just wants everyone in the world to know that he thinks the TMAX is the best scooter in existence in this world as long as scooters have been made and will be made and he is going to do it one forum at a time until everyone in the world knows it and too bad it is this forum's turn.
Hardguy is offline   Reply With Quote