User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2012, 06:37 AM   #1
Butters OP
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,324
Upgrading to a middleweight Sport Tourer

I realize there are a lot of these threads, but I'm hoping to get new insight (or be talked down from the ledge).

I have a K75. I REALLY like it. I bought it as a second bike because it was cheap and I always liked the looks of them. But after owning it, I've come to appreciate the idea of having a sport tourer in addition to my 650 thumper. And although I like the K75, I keep wondering if I'm missing something by not upgrading to a sport tourer that was built, oh I don't know, within the last 25 years. I put less than 10K annually on my two bikes combined and most of that is commuting. I will likely never do a 1000 mile day or more than a weeklong trip. Never two up. Never off-road to speak of.

My ideal bike would be good for weekend trips, a couple comfortable hours on the interstate when needed, but still fun on curvy roads. I want EFI, prefer ABS, and prefer less than a full fairing (those last two are flexible), capability for hard bags, and ideally a good bit under $10K. I want it to be a noticeable upgrade to my K75. And I don't want big (preferably less than 550 pounds or so). I prefer an upright seating position and mild bend to the knees. I'm 5'8", but height isn't a huge issue unless it effects handling. The ones that have caught my eye so far are the following:

2012 Wee (New)- I like the looks and 0% financing, but don't need the off-road ability/height. Essentially the same power to weight as my K75.
Tiger 800 roadie (New) - Not sure I want to spend that much $$$$
Versys (New or used)- Price is good, seems fun, but not sure if it will be comfortable enough to consider as an upgrade.
Bandit 1250 (2007+) - Not sure I need the power, maybe a little heavy, but cheap and available.
F800ST - Seems good on paper, but they have some reliability issues (some resolved and others not)
K1100RS/1200 - Still fairly old, not crazy about a fully faired bike. Newer ones are spendy.
R1200R - Love the looks. Maybe a bit more than I want to pay for a used bike. Test rode an 1150 and was a bit underwhelmed.

Or keep the K75 (which is probably the logical answer).

Are any of these a significant upgrade? If so, in what areas? (I also considered the FZ1, new GSX-F).
Old 03-21-2012, 06:48 AM   #2
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,848
How about a used Honda VFR?

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:49 AM   #3
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,750
Seems the bulk of your concerns relate to comfort, and comfort at interstate speeds.

We could make arbitrary guesses all day long as to what you might like, but you're going to have to beg, borrow, steal some test rides to get a good idea what you like and how you like it.

Consider the used GSX650F, new and used FZ6R, and the new 2012 Ninja 650R - new chassis for this year, 3-position windshield, but no ABS. All well under 10k and great solo sport tourers, unless 'upright' to you means 'bolt upright' all weight on ass, in which case the versys / tiger 1050 might be more your speed.

Like I said, all boils down to comfort. You typed sport tourer but your description was faux adventure bike.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:11 AM   #4
Butters OP
. . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riteris View Post
How about a used Honda VFR?
Whenever I see VFRs, I think sportbike. Probably not fair, but maybe that's why I don't consider them. I also rarely see them with hardbags. But I've never throw a leg over one of them either. Maybe I need to keep an eye out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
. . . you're going to have to beg, borrow, steal some test rides to get a good idea what you like and how you like it.

Consider the used GSX650F, new and used FZ6R, and the new 2012 Ninja 650R
Well, you know test rides and Japanese bikes . I think I would be more inclined to get an FZ6, rather than the R. But I think they're both more rev-happy than I'd like. I'd likely get the Versys before a Ninja, but haven't looked at the 2012.

Quote:
Like I said, all boils down to comfort. You typed sport tourer but your description was faux adventure bike.
You did notice my first three? Honestly, I think the Tiger is likely what I want. I might just have to wait until there is a decent used market for the Tiger. But that would entailing waiting. I don't like waiting.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:24 AM   #5
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
You did notice my first three? Honestly, I think the Tiger is likely what I want. I might just have to wait until there is a decent used market for the Tiger. But that would entailing waiting. I don't like waiting.
The 1050 has been out for quite some time, is well within your price range used, and has 17" wheels front and back for really nice sticky rubber.

Likely a better choice for road duty than the 800, IMO.

Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:34 AM   #6
rotten
LOST AGAIN

Oddometer: 670
What about new Honda NC700X or NT700V

rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #7
TH
There and Here

Oddometer: 912
Nice listing of bikes. As others have said, the Tiger 1050, can be had for a fair price. I got mine for a excellent price, new, from Pete's Cycle in Baltimore. Not much more than 10k, and it came with the extra bits and pieces thrown in for free. It was an incentive to clear out the older Tiger's. But then, I'm partial to the Triumph line. It can easily cruise all day.

You can get one used, with most of the extra's for under 10k.

I did always like the K75, thought it was an interesting bike.
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:10 AM   #8
Butters OP
. . . . . .

I'm still waiting to hear more reviews on the NC. I think the power to weight would leave me wanting more, but I'd like to hear real world reviews. I considered the NT, but it really just doesn't do it for me.

For whatever reason, I think I dismissed the Tiger 1050 too soon. I think when I was comparing it to the 800 I was just looking at new ones. I guess I didn't realize it has been around since 2007. Seems like a 2007-09 might get me all I want with a price I could live with. Definitely worth a high spot on the list.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #9
Lujo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 978
I'm not sure that any but the first generation F800STs have reliability issues. My '08 has been perfect, albeit in not that much more than 10k miles. I think it would be a serious upgrade in terms of weight and power over the K75.

That said, if I were looking now, I'd definitely take a look at the NC700X.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #10
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,319
Yes, the 1050 Tiger is a great bike and can be had very reasonably on the used market. My son rides one daily. I bought it mainly because I found it for $5500 with less than 3k miles. That's unusually cheap even for an '07, but nice ones for ~$7k are common. He quickly fell in love with it and it moved to his garage instead of mine.

Another bike you left off your list that I'm obviously fond of since I own one is the Moto Guzzi Norge. A true sport tourer as opposed to the Tiger which is basically a sport tourer in adventure guise, the Norge has a slightly more agressive riding position than the Tiger. There's more horsepower with the Tiger (113hp I believe), but the Norge is no slouch either at 95hp. It's just a bit more of a "relaxed" ride and I prefer v-twins even over Triumph's awesome triples. Either one is comfortable for hours and will cruise all day at any sane speed you desire. They'll both carve twisties with aplomb. It's also common to find good used Norges in the ~$7k range, but harder to find them with really low miles as the people who own them tend to ride quite a bit. That's not all bad though as mine didn't really break in until it had 7500 miles on it. The performance improvement beyond that point has been quite noticeable.

The Tiger is listed at 437lbs and the Norge at 542 lbs, but the weight on the Norge is obviously lower and it's actually easier to move around.

Sorry, but I've never ridden a K75 so I can't really compare them.

davevv screwed with this post 03-21-2012 at 12:30 PM
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #11
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,406
2012 would be a great choice.
bike is awesome in the twisties (v motor is ideal for pulling along) and does great on slab plus you can also do some dirt if you find some along the way. every area same some easy cool dirt roads to explore and thus why ADV bikes are so popular.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350

eakins screwed with this post 03-21-2012 at 11:51 AM
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:52 AM   #12
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
Whenever I see VFRs, I think sportbike. Probably not fair, but maybe that's why I don't consider them. I also rarely see them with hardbags. But I've never throw a leg over one of them either. Maybe I need to keep an eye out.

Well, you know test rides and Japanese bikes . I think I would be more inclined to get an FZ6, rather than the R. But I think they're both more rev-happy than I'd like. I'd likely get the Versys before a Ninja, but haven't looked at the 2012.

Could have had mine -- with panniers, top case and ABS -- sold it for a song this winter. . ..

NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #13
Scott of the Sahara
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
How do you define middleweight?

Middleweight?
Here is my definition:
250 to 650cc = light weight
750 to 1200cc = middle weight
Above 1200cc = heavy weight

There is also actual weight of the motorcycle regardless of the displacement.

You could also use horsepower and torque as a means of defining bikes.
Scott of the Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #14
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,406
don't think i would call 1000/1100/1200cc mid weight, but that's just me.

for me
below 650 = lite
650-800 = mid
above 800 = heavy
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #15
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,482
FZ1

FZ8

Less buzzy than the two parallel twins on your list. (IMO)

Of the bikes on your list. the 800 Triumph would win imo.