Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #16
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Just stick a windshield and bags on the K75. If you like it, why not, or did I miss something.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #17
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,855
OO OOH!

If we are looking at litre class bikes for not a lot of money, how about the Aprilia Futura?

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:07 PM   #18
volgunner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Bandit 1200. Cheap. Pretty reliable. Torque monster.
volgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:10 PM   #19
Butters OP
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
Just stick a windshield and bags on the K75. If you like it, why not, or did I miss something.
Done and done. And I do like it. Just wondering if I might like something newer a bit more (grass is always greener).

Regarding "Middleweight": I know it when I see it . I would generally say about 800cc (But I see bikes from 650 to over 1000 that I would consider a middleweight, i.e. the Tiger 1050). Once a bike gets much over 500 pounds, it is a heavyweight in my book. At least that is my view of middleweight.

The Guzzi and Aprilia hadn't even crossed my mind. Probably because I have never actually seen either in person. I don't know that I've ever heard anything bad about the Futura. And the Guzzi is awesome looking. Not a fan of the full fairings, but I would probably be willing to consider both. Of course, technically I already own one Aprilia, sort of (G650X). (I've also thought about a Triumph Sprint as well).

I have to admit, the Tiger 1050 has really checked a lot for boxes for me (without having ever even sat on one) in terms of position, power, weight. If I end up not getting a new bike, it clearly won't be due to a lack of quality choices. I think I would probably really like any of the bikes mentioned.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #20
JasonH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
2000-newer Buell S3T. No ABS, but has everything else you mentioned. Plus you could almost get 3 of them for your budget.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:23 PM   #21
TH
There and Here

Oddometer: 912
I had a '07 Guzzi Norge and sold it before I got my Tiger. I found it a very nice bike.

Motor - I love the Triumph Triples. The Norge has a good motor, but mine pinged a lot more than I liked, and although it was pretty good in the torque department, the trumpet just has a better motor. The 1050 motor spins up faster than either my 955 or the Guzzi

Ground Clearence - I think this has been addressed by a stiffer shock, but the Guzzi would like to drag its center stand. It puckered up my seat cover a few times.

MPG - about the same

Storage - the Norge comes with it, the Tiger doesn't unless you get the SE model or it comes with it used. The Triumph panniers look nice, but are a little small, especially the right side (exhaust cutout)

Wind protection - Norge. The Tiger windscreens are not the best, but if you want some good protection - get a Madstad.

Handling - the Norge handled really well. The Tiger does too, but at low speeds, I found the Guzzi really good. However, I can lean the Tiger over farther.

Range - both are similar.

Ergo's - I liked both, but the Tiger is more relaxed.

Dealer network - Triumph and Guzzi are not at every corner like the big 4 (hondakawasuzuyama). But in my neck of the woods, there is better support for Triumph.

Enough said, all the bikes you mentioned would be good.
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #22
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
Done and done. And I do like it. Just wondering if I might like something newer a bit more (grass is always greener).

(I've also thought about a Triumph Sprint as well).
I didn't mention the Sprint because it is much more toward the "sport" end of the sport touring spectrum than the Norge. It has a much more agressive riding position, but is a fine bike if you like it's ergos.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #23
N-Id-Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
Vfr

I swapped an V-Strom 1000 for this... My fun factor on all my rides has gone way up!
N-Id-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:21 PM   #24
Butters OP
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,344
There's actually an 06 VFR with bags in the flea market right now. Still not sure it's for me, but I'd like to sit on one and give it a chance.

There's also a screaming deal on a Tiger 800. But it's in Texas - right Dave? (Kinda shocked it hasn't sold yet).
Old 03-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #25
666 Bandit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
I would suggest an RS. If you find one they can usually be found at a good deal and have a little more protection from the elements than an R.
666 Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:03 PM   #26
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
don't think i would call 1000/1100/1200cc mid weight, but that's just me.

For me
below 650 = useless
650-800 = gutless
above 800 = maybe
ftfy
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #27
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
There's actually an 06 VFR with bags in the flea market right now. Still not sure it's for me, but I'd like to sit on one and give it a chance.

There's also a screaming deal on a Tiger 800. But it's in Texas - right Dave? (Kinda shocked it hasn't sold yet).
Yep, I'm in Texas. Funny, everyone interested seems to be on the east coast, west coast, or in Canada.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:56 AM   #28
0ldhippie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
I'd point ya towards a ninja 1000 but not many used ones out there yet. I'm sure ya can put hard bags on a Z1000 or FZ1 too. The sprint GT would be a better choice for you than tiger1050 imho. Maybe even a speed/street triple or tuono? Like ya say, The K75 wasn't top of the line when new and "long in the tooth" now the bandit/sv1000 are the same kind of deal but slightly newer. Good luck!
Old 03-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #29
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
K1200R has everything you're looking for and is the best bike I have ever owned. Only find used in the USA, new as the K1300R for those in other countries. Just put on the optional dark windshield (very small) and it's nearly as good as a fairing. Can be had for very good price. A bit on the thirsty side, a bit on the speedy side. Has great luggae options. But a perfect definition of a Sport Tourer.

scrannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #30
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
K1200R has everything you're looking for and is the best bike I have ever owned. Only find used in the USA, new as the K1300R for those in other countries. Just put on the optional dark windshield (very small) and it's nearly as good as a fairing. Can be had for very good price. A bit on the thirsty side, a bit on the speedy side. Has great luggae options. But a perfect definition of a Sport Tourer.

I always loved that bike. Very sweet! (But then I favor more industrial-type looking bikes, I ride a KTM, so I may be a bit biased). That thing just looks like a road burner!