Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #31
ET-VT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
My ideal bike would be good for weekend trips, a couple comfortable hours on the interstate when needed, but still fun on curvy roads. I want EFI, prefer ABS, and prefer less than a full fairing (those last two are flexible), capability for hard bags, and ideally a good bit under $10K. I want it to be a noticeable upgrade to my K75. And I don't want big (preferably less than 550 pounds or so). I prefer an upright seating position and mild bend to the knees. I'm 5'8", but height isn't a huge issue unless it effects handling.
I just got a Tiger 1050 to replace a K75 as my primary bike. I looked at all the same options as you have and the Tiger 800 was the only one that really hit all the right points for me, but I wasn't willing to pay $12K+ on a new bike, especially when you can get a used 1050 for just over half that. In almost all ways, the 800 is a better bike, but I'm pretty happy with the 1050, for the money.
ET-VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:44 PM   #32
Butters OP
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,264
How would you directly compare the 1050 to the K75 as an upgrade? Does it do everything better, some things better, anything worse? The K75 is pretty darn smooth. I think that's one area I fear even a newer bike may be inferior.

Regarding the K1200R: I think that's a bit too much for me (163HP in a 500 lb pkg! ). I see a lot of "S"s for sale, not as many "R"s. With the K Bikes, I was looking more at the previous generation as they seem a bit more pedestrian. Sure, I could just lay off the power. Um, no, I probably couldn't.

Butters screwed with this post 03-22-2012 at 02:52 PM
Butters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #33
Wobbleside
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
My list was similar and I started knocking things off as I rode them so here is the original list.
VFR 800 (Lovely motor, looks good, easy to find with bags. I couldn't get comfy on it. Peg were too high for how high the bars were or something, it just didn't feel right)
R1100S (Fun fun fun.. telelever takes a while to get used to. Didn't like the servo brakes. Is still on The List)
FZ-1 (Buzzzzzzz... I don't like I4s)
Bandit 1250 (Nice bike.. still don't like I4s)
ST3 (Yes.. yes yes... too expensive, out of my budget. Amazing bike <3)
ST4 (Great bike, liked the 3 more and too expensive and complicated for me to maintain myself)
Futura (YES! Awesome bike, fit me like a glove. Doesn't handle like a 500lb bike at all. Luggage is big.. Rotax vtwin goodness. Can't find one on this side of rockies right now)
Sprint ST (Triple is good, I liked the ergos.. didn't mesh well will the heavy steering and I can't find one for sale local in my 5-6k price range)
Tiger 1050 (I liked it.. can't afford one)
Multistrada 1000/1100/620 (Really like this bike, I know air cooled desmos well. They are easy to work on.. all of them handle brightly. The 620 suspension is too harsh and bouncy. I'm probably going to tend up owning one)

My initial requirements were luggage, adjustable suspension, some weather protection and around 500lbs or less. I started doing research about 5 months ago and started riding any of the bikes I could get my hands on to figure out what I liked and didn't like. I love twins, especially v-twins. Following that triples and V4s are really nice. I have yet to find a I4 I liked. I prefer more sporty ergonomics. Things that have me leaning over 25-30 degrees are almost idea for my back and shoulders but I can deal with the faux adventure bike ergos if the seat doesn't suck.

My housemate owns a Norge. It's a great bike. It's definitely a full size sport tourer at 591lbs wet according to an industrial scale. It lines up very favorably with the R1200RT which is another light full size ST. That puts it like 100lbs or so lighter than the K1200/K1300RS/GT or Connie, FJR or ST1300.
Wobbleside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:06 PM   #34
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
Gsx 650 f

See if you can find a leftover GSX 650 F. They are very popular in the rest of the world, but dropped from the US for the last year or so, but there are still some '09s left over. I got mine for $4600 (plus my 12 year old Concours). It looks like a Gxxer, especially in the blue/white colors, but it's actually an 85 HP, 650 Bandit, with a full fairing. nimble, drop-dead reliable, higher bars & lower pegs, & all day comfy. I'm exactly your size & use mine as commuter, as well as several multi thousand mile tours every summer, & I find it perfect for both. Almost as comfy as my old Connie on the drone down to the BRP, & a lot more fun once I get there. Hard bags & racks can be found @ Twisted Throttle, but ABS is only on the 2010, '11 &'12 which are only available overseas (or Canada, if you have a connection up there).
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #35
achtung3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 933
Hi Butters, I have a K75S 1990 and it hauls pretty good, I like it on the twisties (what really matters to me; specially with the new tyres that really grips). I wil go from Hwy1 on the Central Coast CA down south to LA and back, I take a 370mi (one way) trips from where I am in a flash without any hesitation (the bike too) so I am confused on what upgrade you are looking for?
Unless you are thinking about a heavier in weight and larger in size like the KRT's or Goldwings type, but it seen that it would be a more cumbersome and defeat of purpose to me.
My question is always the same, how fast can you on a 25mph curve? Are you having fun?
I am sure there is a special bike out there that you got your eyes on, good luck otherwise just twist the throttle on what you already got and let the fun begin. (It is the journey that counts)
achtung3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:15 PM   #36
ET-VT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
How would you directly compare the 1050 to the K75 as an upgrade? Does it do everything better, some things better, anything worse? The K75 is pretty darn smooth. I think that's one area I fear even a newer bike may be inferior.
Huh. I haven't ridden my K75 since last Fall and had a hard time remembering why I wanted to replace it. I've always enjoyed doing more with less, riding LD rallies and touring on a soon-to-be-antique motorcycle and swore I'd never sell it. It took me a while to think about it, but I now recall the general feeling of disappointment I felt at the end of many of my rides. Lots of things contributed to that...

I didn't see anywhere you mentioned which variant of K75 you have. Mine's an S, so it's got the faux clip-on bars. I much prefer the wider bars on the Tiger, as opposed to having my elbows pushed together on the K75S. Other than that, the ergos are surprisingly similar. A little more legroom on the Tiger, but not much.

The K75S also has a questionable fairing/instrument/headlight design that wants to shake itself off the bike on rough roads. I've twice had to replace the center fairing mount after it cracked when hitting a bump. The Tiger is much more resilient-feeling and doesn't have any rattles or parts I'm worried will fall off.

The fact that I have no option but to ride on frost heaves and washboards here in Vermont is one of my other reasons for wanting to replace the K75. Even with an adjustable rear shock from Progressive and springs from HyperPro, I couldn't bring the suspension close to modern standards. The Tiger's suspension is one its low points for most people, but I'm okay with it so far. I'm 165 lbs and it feels plenty stiff for me and soaks up bumps nicely. It is a tad bouncy on the really rough roads, but I haven't tried playing with the damping settings yet.

The 1050 motor is a lot like the K75, just with twice the power. Same flat torque curve, similar smoothness, somewhat jerky fuel injection off idle. I've never complained about the power output of the K75. I've had a couple times where I wish I had a little bit more for passing or a sixth gear for freeway cruising, but nothing I'd be seriously bothered about. The 1050 is almost too much power. It maintains the balance of the triple, but it has a brutal explosiveness about it that you can't even dream about from the K75. The Triumph 800 motor is easily my favorite. It has the civility of the K75, but is even smoother and more refined, while putting out about 70% more power. That said, the 1050 is its own kind of fun. Both the Triumph triples will use more gas than your K75, too, but only in proportion to the increase in power.

My Tiger has a little sport screen which has its pluses and minuses. Wind hits me right in the chest and it's definitely a little work on the torso and neck. It seems like most people complain about buffeting with the stock windscreen, so I'd take a little smooth wind over having my head jerked around. My K75S always did a good job of putting the wind right into my helmet at just the right angle, so I never had any buffeting. There are dozens of screens out there for the Tiger though, so I'm sure you could find one to suit your preferences.

The BMW luggage is bigger and better made than the Triumph luggage. Again, that's something that can be fixed with aftermarket products, but something you should know.

The K75 is undoubtedly easier to work on. Changing the plugs is like a five minute job, where I expect it to be an hour or more on the Triumph. On the flip side, Triumph parts seem to be slightly more reasonable than BMW parts.

Speaking of parts, the Tiger is relatively new and isn't likely to have as many things fail due to age and wear. I've spent at least $1K a year on things that break or wear out on my K75: steering head bearings, aforementioned fairing mount, gear switch position sensor, brake cylinders, brake lines... I'm hoping I can get a few years of nothing but fluids and plugs out of the Tiger.

Overall, the Tiger is a much more powerful, much better handling, more modern motorcycle. It's more comfortable for me and does a better job dealing with the road conditions I tend to ride in. I'll miss my K75, but I don't think I'd ever want to go back.
ET-VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:38 PM   #37
Am.E
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters
My ideal bike would be good for weekend trips, a couple comfortable hours on the interstate when needed, but still fun on curvy roads. I want EFI, prefer ABS, and prefer less than a full fairing (those last two are flexible), capability for hard bags, and ideally a good bit under $10K. I want it to be a noticeable upgrade to my K75. And I don't want big (preferably less than 550 pounds or so). I prefer an upright seating position and mild bend to the knees. I'm 5'8", but height isn't a huge issue unless it effects handling.
How about a KTM 990 SMT? Seems to fit the above pretty well.....

(just jumping in 'cause the F800ST was on your list, and I'm considering that one too....wish I could just buy them all :)
Am.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:56 PM   #38
Butters OP
. . . . . .

My bike is a 1986 K75T. However, I have long since ditched the big plexiglass touring windshield for a Nat. Cycle Deflector. That's really about as much protection as I want or need. It gets the blast off my chest so I don't feel like I'm holding on for dear life at highway speeds, but I still feel like I'm on a motorcycle. It's pretty hot and humid here in the summer, so there seems to be a fine line between protection and roasting. I'll take comfortable in the summer over warm in the winter. I can always wear more layers. As you can tell from the list, I tend to lean toward adventure type bikes and (mostly) naked standards. I'm not morally opposed to full fairings, but it certainly doesn't excite me (part of the reason I generally like the older Bandits over the GSX-F).

In a lot of ways, the KTM SMT would be a perfect bike (fun, light, comfortable). But even used, it's pretty darn expensive. And even though I think KTM gets a bad rap for reliability, I'm not sure I could get past the voice in my head wondering what will break next (again, probably not fair especially for the newer/bigger KTMs).

@achtung3 - There certainly would be worse things than keeping the K. But sometimes I get these itches that need to be scratched. I would love to take my K down Hwy 1 (I grew up in the South Bay and went to school in SLO).

@ET-VT - Your comparison really helps. My K barely has 20K and I have a new suspension and new Michelin Pilots (Bias). Although I'm continually amazed at how nice my K is, I have also spent a good deal of time and money going through everything. Part of the reason I'm hesitant to get rid of it. In some ways, I think the K was before its time. But it also has a drum rear brake, bias ply tires, and a 25 year old FI system. Shockingly, all that works pretty well to my novice butt. But I can't help but think in 25 years even a great bike should have been significantly surpassed.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #39
Alien VFR
Space Jockey

Oddometer: 269
I just bought a zx14, but what you're asking for is a VFR. Best bike I've owned so far (out of 20).

2006 Buell XB12X Ulysses
Alien VFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:21 AM   #40
achtung3
Studly Adventurer

Hello Butter, have you riden a R before? maybe you would like to test ride an R, I always wanted an R and found my 04 R1150 Rockster, they are different rides but both are very sweet on the twisties.

On my way to Kings Canyon Nat Park for overnight, just because the weather was good.

On my way to Zion, I was debating on which bike to take and this is the one I took, maybe next time I'll take the K.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:17 AM   #41
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,026
Quote:

Regarding the K1200R: I think that's a bit too much for me (163HP in a 500 lb pkg! ). I see a lot of "S"s for sale, not as many "R"s. With the K Bikes, I was looking more at the previous generation as they seem a bit more pedestrian. Sure, I could just lay off the power. Um, no, I probably couldn't.
I had a 93 K1100LT for 2.5 years/44k+ miles

Great bike. Comfy, good ergos and weather protection. Loved the ABS and FI. Didn't like the maintenance and when it broke down it was always 1K+. I had to let her go when the tranny dropped 2nd gear.

Spent the next 2 years on a 2002 FZ1. 20k+ miles

Another awesome bike. Wicked, "get in trouble" fast. Great inline 4, big change from the barcalounger that was the LT. Still comfy, but head buffeting and zero wind protection got me tired quick. Absolutely bulletproof, almost boring. Valve checks every 26k! Didn't miss the FI and ABS as much as I thought I would. I did miss hard case saddlebags and some fairing though. Cheapest, most reliable bike I've ever owned by far. Gas, oil, chain/sprockets, tires and brakes.

After I moved to CA a year ago I bought my current bike, an 07 Tiger 1050ABS. Put on about 4k miles in 8mons so far. (pathetic I know...working and bought a house)

On paper it's got...light weight, half fairing, great engine/tranny, FI, ABS, great ergos, luggage, and looks badass!
On the tarmac its the perfect blend of the comfort of the LT and the sportiness of the FZ1 with modern-day tech and good reliability. It's extremely flickable solo or can be loaded up for a weekend with the wife. The range isn't the greatest. (185+/- miles/tank) With the right aftermarket (Cee Bailey screen, heated grips, handguards, crashbars with highway pegs, rox risers, etc) it's a mile-eating tourer.

For an entry price of around 6k, it's hard to beat. Save some money to get the suspension done....the rear is passable with new springs, but the forks blow. Race Tech springs, gold valves and heavier wt oil fixes them pretty good.

I know I'm a wordy sumbitch, but I came from a similar bike ownership position as you and figured I would share my experience.

Good luck, and post pics of that bish when you buy!
Play War Thunder, ultra-realistic WWII Air Combat game with other ADVers
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:31 AM   #42
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Great thread. This is exactly why I wish HD had a V-Rod in this "division". I know it's a bit heavy but would make a hell of a road-eating sport-tourer.
scrannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #43
LandPirateMBC
Full blown child

Oddometer: 163
I agree with what all the people are saying about the vfr. Sounds perfect for you. I have one and its a dream.
LandPirateMBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #44
Butters OP
. . . . . .

As much as I hated posting another "which bike should I get" thread, this has really provided me a lot of information. At the very least, it has talked me down from jumping on the V-Strom 0% deal. I may still end up on a Wee, but there's no rush. There's clearly a long list of bikes I need to look at more closely and there are some bikes I simply never considered. I'm also surprised at how many people have been looking at similar bikes for similar reasons and hopefully this thread will help other as well.

To follow up on some later posts . . .

I did test ride a 2002 R1150R (prior to owning my K). The R1XXXR bikes are one of my favorites (visually). The test ride, however, was pretty underwhelming. The bike had a low seat installed and a full touring shield. So it really wasn't set up how I would like it and therefore I haven't written off the R bikes. But the one I rode I wouldn't consider much of an upgrade over my K bike. I'm hoping at some point to ride a newer K bike (that hasn't had the ergos butchered) as I don't think my test ride gave them a fair shake (or I'm in denial because I like the looks so much). Some things I tolerate on a 25 year old K bike, I'm less forgiving on a bike built in the last ten years. I didn't have any issues with the EFI and ABS on the R bike, but it seems like it could have been lifted from a late 80's K.

As I rode my K bike in to work today I also came to the conclusion that I could likely be perfectly comfortable even if the rider position was a few degrees more forward (and it might make it a bit less cumbersome through the turns). I am less concerned (to a degree) about the weight on my arms and shoulders than I am about holding my fat head upright. I should probably also spend some more time at cycle-ergo.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:38 PM   #45
achtung3
Studly Adventurer

I don't know what your stature and confort position, but I will tell you by my experience, no bike is perfect from stock to everyone and if you can not figure out what the bike really needs to make it your own ride, it is fruitless to ask strangers for any advice.

Good luck and have fun on your ride(s).