Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #61
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post

I'm kinda lazy about checking pressures... thanks to this thread I checked 'em this morning before the 40 mile commute home.
me too..... looking at tire pressure monitors.

bomber1965 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:11 PM   #62
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,527
I love it. I even love the colors of that Gold Wing (finally, a color pattern that makes me want to own one).

But at $259 for that set-up, um...

I'd do it in a heartbeat if I could afford that Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber1965 View Post
me too..... looking at tire pressure monitors.

their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #63
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 588

I saw this on on my tire the other day. Note the tire manufacturer (Avon) states that said max pressure is for testing purposes only.

Fwiw, I run this 17" front at 15-18 off road and 24 psi on the road. My owners manual says 1.5 bar or ~21-22psi.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #64
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
The tire sidewall in the pic does give the max pressure for that tire. It is the minimum pressure required to carry the max load that tire can carry, according to the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 119.
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-199...-119-id524.xml

Here's Avon's inflation pressure recommendations:
http://www.avonmoto.com/tech/tire-pressure-guidelines

Here's Metzeler's blurb:
" ...Over inflation or extreme tire pressure will impair your riding comfort and decrease the size of the contact patch of the tire with the road....You will find the correct pressure in the operating manual of the motorcycle."
http://www.metzeler.com/site/us/tech...intenance.html

James Davis writes some very good, very important stuff, then he writes some stuff that is just goofy. As others have said, try to reason with him at your own peril.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #65
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonac View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that this completely idiotic, and arguably dangerous? I run my KLR's front at 25-28psi cold with no load where they're rated for mid-30s, and I know of compatible tires with sidewall ratings well into the 40s.

http://www.msgroup.org/Tip.aspx?Num=009

They're talking about running this in the winter, no less, and give no other justification than "for longest tire life". On a safety site. I think maybe someone needs to have a word with these guys?
I read one post only. The first one. The answer is the sidewall PSI is the max for the TIRE. Period. It is Not the appropriate PSI for all motorcycles and load that the tire will fit on. If you are going by the sidewall, you are an idiot.

Public Service Announcement - the above response is accurate, but fueled by Vodka.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #66
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Well, anyway, I run my DR650 at speeds most DR650's don't ever see because I live next to a major highway where average speeds are pretty damned (illegally) high, and since I believe in at least going the speed of most traffic...

I run my dual sport tires much higher than Suzuki recommended (for whatever crappy tire came with the DR650's back in 2002), and I've found that doing so stabilizes the bike better at speed.

I learned the hard way that when I was comuting over 20k a year on motorcycles that they stayed cooler (despite the hotter south FL summer weather and hot pavements) and lasted longer at higher pressures.

I can always easily find some way to "air down" if I'm going to take it on sand and whatnot, but I run all my moto tires above the original bike manufacturers' recommended stats because of the highway use the bikes see.

I've read a number of posts in this thread, and I'm glad to see others that agree with me.

This all goes back to those same types of people who wouldn't run fully synthetic on bikes that didn't come with it, or riders who wouldn't run a 'dark side' tire on the rear... some people are just too afraid of deviating from original specs to best suit their needs and purposes.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #67
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
high pressure is NOT a safety issue, airing down for off road is a placebo
hahahahahaah

Quote:
tire pressure in a bike regulates the amount of flex, or how hot the tire will get, not the contact patch
I think you get the dumbass of the month award.
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #68
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
There are at least 15 different opinions on tire pressures in this thread, and probably 17 of them are wrong. 10% this and that. Max load. Off road pressures. Passengers.

Go with what the manufacturers say, not some goobers on a forum.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:30 PM   #69
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post

As if bike and tire manufacturers agree upon a pressure...

As if either know just where and how each of us are using their tires / bikes...

Part of all of this is educating (or people looking to educate themselves), and the rest of it is applying that which you've learned.

It needs to be out there, and needs to be discussed.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #70
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
There are at least 15 different opinions on tire pressures in this thread, and probably 17 of them are wrong. 10% this and that. Max load. Off road pressures. Passengers.

Goobers like you.

The 10% change between cold and hot IS what the manufacturers say.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #71
W4lnutz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/moto.../mc_tires.html

Always keep in mind that what's written on your bikes swingarm for tire pressure is a suggested parameter to be used with stock size tires.
One of the many reasons WHY is because the suspension is designed to work in conjunction with the flexability of the tires sidewall. Upping pressure is almost like increasing spring rate (to an extent) and vice versa. An example would be when NASCAR teams adjust their tires pressure a measely 1/2 psi or more and it helps fine-tune their suspensions reactions.
What works best for 1 bike/rider combo might not work for another guy who's 1/2 the weight on virtually identical bikes.

One observation I'm taking away from some of the comments here is a better understanding of why/how some people find themselves in positions where their tires delaminate or chunk. (and they always blame the tire mfg. when they themselves contributed to it)

I'll never claim to be the sharpest tool in the shed but, sometimes after I log off this site, I feel like a freaking genius.
finally some truth ! every oumce\degree or angle you ride that is different than the model weight\degree\ounce that they tested that tire on will produce a different tire life and ride than what they use as a standard rule. Just as sure as one rider may get 50 mpg the next may get 35 mpg so dont let blanket statements keep all you bad ass motherfuckers up at night! Dont get me wrong I dont think everyone on this site is a Bad ass! thats just another blanket statement to make you all feel well and sway the opinion of others to realize that most of the people here can ride the hell out of a keyboard. Bah ha ha ha wa ha ! Good night everyone
W4lnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:40 PM   #72
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Goobers like you.

The 10% change between cold and hot IS what the manufacturers say.
No, goobers like you. There are conflicting stories on here about what to run. Some are pure bullshit, and probably dangerous on top of that. Which are which? So that makes all of them bullshit. Do what the manufacturers of the tires say. Not what some old guy had on his bike in the 50s. The same guy that thinks carbs are the way to go. And ignition points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
It needs to be out there, and needs to be discussed.
Not when it's conflicting bullshit. Could get somebody killed.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:55 AM   #73
mach1charlie
To old to fall off

Oddometer: 26
this is like an oil thread

i have ridden my klr 15 k My 240 lb. butt and lots of gear, Shinko 705s @ 38-42 psi. they stick good, turn in well and last 5 k rear 15 k front. tryed 32 psi front and tire started to cup.
Off road ? Bikes to heavy I dont do sand or mud. On road had a ball @ the dragon, Blue ridge parkway and such.
mach1charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:10 AM   #74
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 671
My Daily ride ( an old 250 Honda AX) has tyres that recommend 32psi.

I usually run 25psi. It's an on road bike nowdays.

I check the pressure every two weeks. Today the front and rear were both down to 10psi!

Offroad, on my EXC or DR I run 10-15psi rear and 5-10psi front.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:18 AM   #75
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,055
I think the engineers who developed my bike and tires are more competent than me (at least in their fields) or someone in the internet and have their reasons to concordantly recommend 2,5bar (36psi) front / 2,9bar (42psi) rear pressure. So I stay with that instead of experimenting what lower pressure might be better on my 280kg street bike at speeds from 30mph at bumpy backroads up to 155mph at highways in one trip.
In addition, for the occurrence of slightly loosing air over time, it's better to start at the upper end of the save pressure window.