Oddometer: 237

Ish

2handedSpey screwed with this post 03-22-2012 at 10:23 PM
2handedSpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:09 PM   #17
Wobbleside
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Hours in the saddle seem to be a much bigger deal. Other than that different cities have different levels of stress. Couple of hours in SF dodging blind cagers, cyclists with a death wish and suicidal peds while dealing with hills, tight roads and MUNI tracks is a lot different than say riding around Savannah, GA or Salt Lake City.
Wobbleside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:20 PM   #18
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
A good day's ride?

One that starts a little before dawn and ends just after the sun goes down. Usually works out to around 500-600 miles with stops thrown in.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:24 PM   #19
D-man
SHUT UP & RIDE!

Oddometer: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by 211Chuck View Post
A good days ride IMO is what ever anyone is in the mood for on any given day.

I love all rides short,long or in between. Even a bad ride has it's bright spots"
even a "bad" day riding is BETTER than a good day at work!

IT'S ALL GOOD!

D-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:29 PM   #20
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Here is what I consider a good days ride:

MX track; 20-30 miles (Yeah I suck at MX riding, but if you never tried it, it's a serious workout)
ORV area 35-50 miles ( also a workout )
Dual Sport riding: 120-180 miles
Back road twisties: 250-300 miles
Highway 500+ miles
This list seems solid to me for "a good day's ride." They'd all take a good part of a day, or energy, and leave me ready to shower and hit the sack.

A good riding day, on the other hand, can be 180-220 miles of back road twisties, and 400 to 500 miles highway, where I'll have energy left over for visiting friends. I've got to figure that not many riders ever really experience the "good day's ride" as we are willing to define it, so they'd think it was too many miles.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:35 AM   #21
KradmelderSA
Banned

Oddometer: 846
Done up to 900 km, mix of back roads and gravel, but that is a 12-13 hr day, dawn to dusk. 450 km is an easy day, 700+ becomes a long day.
KradmelderSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:56 AM   #22
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
In general I hate slab miles, in a big metro area like D.C. they're a necessary evil in order to get out to the twisties. Riding always bring a smile to my face, but riding around the Beltway or I-95 brings the weakest of all smiles. It frustrates me to no end to get done with work and find myself stuck with nowhere to ride out of bumper-to-bumper rider-killing traffic. I'm no weekend warrior, but traffic alone keeps me from enjoying weekday riding (unless I play hooky ).

But when I do go out and enjoy the ride? A great day for me is about 300 miles of twisties. Anything more and I'm usually too worn out to safely enjoy much more. I've got a trip out to the Midwest coming up in a few weeks that I've split into two ~400 mile days because I intend to take only backroads. I could easily slab it in one day, but sheesh, what's the point in that? Might as well fly Southwest.
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:23 AM   #23
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,230
the best days i have had riding have been under 25 miles.

i like tight, technical, bushwacking single track. 25 miles of that is a loooooong day.

of course, lots of miles on more open trails makes for a really fun day also. as does even more miles on roads.

but my favorite days are the ones where it takes 5 hours to go 10 miles.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:36 AM   #24
KradmelderSA
Banned

Oddometer: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
In general I hate slab miles, in a big metro area like D.C. they're a necessary evil in order to get out to the twisties. Riding always bring a smile to my face, but riding around the Beltway or I-95 brings the weakest of all smiles. It frustrates me to no end to get done with work and find myself stuck with nowhere to ride out of bumper-to-bumper rider-killing traffic. I'm no weekend warrior, but traffic alone keeps me from enjoying weekday riding (unless I play hooky ).

But when I do go out and enjoy the ride? A great day for me is about 300 miles of twisties. Anything more and I'm usually too worn out to safely enjoy much more. I've got a trip out to the Midwest coming up in a few weeks that I've split into two ~400 mile days because I intend to take only backroads. I could easily slab it in one day, but sheesh, what's the point in that? Might as well fly Southwest.
Here it's legal to lane split so bumper to bumper is strictly for cagers. Nothing will bring a grin to your face faster than watching those cagers stare at a set of brake lights for hours through a sheet of glass from a tin and plastic cage, while you shoot by

What takes them 2.5 hours takes me less than 30 min

As a general rule for safety and so cagers dont get the last laugh I lane split at 30 kmh when they are standing still, go faster than them when they are crawling and am very cautious when there is a gap ahead in case some cager decides to change lanes and go for it and use me to do some body work on his cage.

But going over pavements, gravel shoulder, around trees, lawns etc are all open game for me. Hey, I ride a KTM and the attitude comes with, and this Africa after all, survival of the fittest
KradmelderSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:41 AM   #25
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
How far you wanna go? I guess if you have 1200 miles to your destination and 2 days to get there and you made 100 miles your first day maybe that wasnt a good day.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #26
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,693
Any.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:07 AM   #27
ricochetrider
a certain something

Oddometer: 1,707
Unless I'm traveling to a specific destination,

I don't really care how many miles I do on any day- I'm just out there for my version of "the fun" of riding. I like to stop and have a bite or a beer along the way. I'll do a little faster riding, AND some slower riding as I go. I like to stop and take pictures, or talk bikes with other guys at the gas pump. My English friends, who all ride vintage Brit Bikes, call it "bimbling"- noodling randomly about the countryside in leisurely fashion with no apparent destination.

Pounding out miles just to do it isn't my kind of fun. But that's one of the beauties of motorcycling- any individual can make it fun for themselves, in their own way. There is no right way or wrong way.
ricochetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #28
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
a good day of riding, sometimes I'm satisfied with as few as 150, but I've also headed out at 3am and returned at 11pm with close to 1k, mixture of dirt, secondary and terciary paved roads

it isn't even a ride on primary highways unless it's 1k or more
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #29
txwanderer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
I have a couple of them there IBA certificates, and IMHO, it is the Smiles and not the miles that make a great ride. A LD ride is a type of ride. A 100 mile coffee or dinner run is another. We make a lot more of the latter for sure. Both have their challenges and their rewards and both are something I enjoy.

A great ride begins and ends in Enjoyment. Odometers have nothing to do with quality.

Cheers
txwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:17 PM   #30
Quasi1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
I have done over 250 miles in one day on a 50cc scooter that only did about 35mph. I did this for four straight days and loved every minute of it despite the numb bum.