Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #31
augerdin
I do my own crashing

Oddometer: 86
After working on the guzzi for a few days I took it on a shakedown cruise today. Went to the gathering at Brooksville and back. Took a lot of winding back roads which added miles, but they were quality miles. So I did 300 miles today. I thought it was a good ride. Not bad for a guy with lung problems. I have taken my Vespa P200 and ridden several 150-200 mile days. For me its the road, the scenery, the pace, the feeling I get . It isnt the number of miles. In the old days I got a rush out of piling on the miles,but now I am happy just to be able to get on a bike and ride. Some days I am confined to the bed, so now almost any ride is a good days ride.
augerdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #32
ABHooligan
The Flying Mythos

Oddometer: 1,079
For me a good ride leaves out after a tasty breakfast, and relaxing by the fire at dusk. Fuck the odometer.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:26 PM   #33
high dangler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHulgan View Post
For me a good ride leaves out after a tasty breakfast, and relaxing by the fire at dusk. Fuck the odometer.
hell yeah , fuc that odometer ! What do we care how many miles?
Old 04-08-2012, 09:23 PM   #34
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,840
If it was a good day (and most days on a bike are), whatever number of miles I put behind me were just right. Last September a ride into the back end of Denali National Park two-up on the Wing netted just about 200. One of the lowest-mileage days I've ever done, and it was plenty. A few years earlier a ride of a little over 1500 miles left me hungering for more, but it had been an exceptionally good day. On gravel, like the Dalton Hwy, 500 or so is usually a good day. Throw in lots of awesome scenery, with requisite photo stops, and that drops down to 300 or less. Still a good day's ride.

The odometer only records numbers; it can't define whether a ride was good or not. The smile on my face is a better indicator of that.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote