User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #1
Ymirtrials OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Talking Bultaco footpeg replacement

I've got an M49 sherpa T that came with rigid footpegs and I'd like to change them to a set of standard folding style pegs. I've found a set from Sammy Miller that come complete with the brackets to weld on that I'll likely use. I have read on different threads that some have lowered pegs and some have raised them. What may be the main considerations when deciding on a new location for the pegs. I'm only 5'8'' so stock height seems comfortable to me, I'm also a new trials rider so I won't be attempting anything too trick for a while! Thanks!

2010 Montesa 4RT, 1972 Bultaco Sherpa T 250, 00' Kawasaki Super Sherpa 250 (Wife's)
Ymirtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:23 PM   #2
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Lower the pegs as much as you can, but avoid moving them back, as this will take weight of the front wheel and reduce front wheel traction.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:11 AM   #3
Ymirtrials OP
Adventurer

Is the idea of lowering the pegs only to keep the centre of gravity low as possible?

2010 Montesa 4RT, 1972 Bultaco Sherpa T 250, 00' Kawasaki Super Sherpa 250 (Wife's)
Old 03-22-2012, 08:23 AM   #4
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ymirtrials View Post
Is the idea of lowering the pegs only to keep the centre of gravity low as possible?
Yes this is the main benefit, as this makes balancing easier. Second you will recognize that you will stand more in the bike then on the bike.

Anyway as you haven't posted a photo of your model 49, when I remember right, the footbrake lever is situated below the footpeg and also the gear lever shaft is situated to the standard footpeg position. so you can't go too low with your peg without doing changes to the levers too.

In my experience the Sherpa is very heavy in the front, I believe you have recognized this too, expecially when you want to lift up the front end up for climbing over obstacels, steps, ... on the other hand the bike has a good directional stability but turning thight is often easier on other bikes, (Yamaha / Fantic, ...). The front wheel likes to push when turning thight and using some throttle. My first Bultaco a Sherpa m221 had this behavior, (a 175cc with the frame of the m190). I now have a m199b where Bultaco has changed the footpeg position to the predecessors, now beeing situated lower and a little more back. The m119b has the same "turning" behavior but it's lighter to lift the front end, which I see as an advance as you don't need so much physical strength to ride the bike in modulated sections with steps and obstacels. Any disadvantege in turning I haven't experienced, but I believe I do put more body weight to the front when doing thight turns, (which doesn't work uphills i know), compared to my SWM, (where thight turns for me are easier).

A good way to figure out your footrest position as the area to mount is limited might be the way it's installed here:
http://www.twnclub.ch/classic_trial_...stauration.htm

With the additional plate you can change the position once again if you don't feel comfortable with it.
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
Lower the pegs as much as you can, but avoid moving them back, as this will take weight of the front wheel and reduce front wheel traction.
Really. That's your advice. At this point, I have no choice.

brewtus screwed with this post 03-23-2012 at 07:59 PM Reason: Turning my back. I'm done.
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #6
Ymirtrials OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchrauber View Post

With the additional plate you can change the position once again if you don't feel comfortable with it.
Thanks for the insight, making a bracket as you have is a good idea. Here is what the pegs currently look like, the brake is behind the peg and the shifter has been cut and welded vertical so it can't be hit by rocks etc.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #7
Ymirtrials OP
Adventurer

Ooops, have to figure out how to link images...

Old 03-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #8
Ymirtrials OP
Adventurer

Old 03-22-2012, 11:38 PM   #9
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Looks like MX type footrest position on that, so you will need to fabricate a mounting to move the footrests properly.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:42 AM   #10
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,764
Quote:

Sweet!!
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:27 AM   #11
Rockcat
LDA

Oddometer: 379
I have the same bike. That is the stock early footpeg mount for the Model 49. I have been trying to find the later folding pegs and mount without luck. The Model 49's that I have seen ridden today have the pegs lowered by 1 1/2 inches and moved back about an inch.
Rockcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #12
Ymirtrials OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvadney View Post
I have the same bike. That is the stock early footpeg mount for the Model 49. I have been trying to find the later folding pegs and mount without luck. The Model 49's that I have seen ridden today have the pegs lowered by 1 1/2 inches and moved back about an inch.
Down and back sounds like a common theme on the old Bul, I will likely try to fab a mounting plate for the new style pegs and brackets when I get them. Have you done any other updates on your m49? I have changed the carb to a mikuni flat slide and put new shocks on the back. Other than that mine is mostly original. I still have to reseal the tank as it seeps a bit where it was repaired.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #13
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

If you can find some tube same OD as the frame tube which connects to the swinging arm pivot, then its easy to fabricate a nice triangle shaped footrest mount out of 2 pieces of tube. By the look of your bike I would say move the rests back about 3 inches behind the swinging arm pivot, with the bottom edge of the footrest mounting brackets level with the bottom of the lower frame tubes. You will also find its a big improvement to get rid of the "tiller" type top yoke, as moving the bars ahead of the steering axis will mean much better steering, and improved feel.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #14
Rockcat
LDA

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Have you done any other updates on your m49? I have changed the carb to a mikuni flat slide and put new shocks on the back. Other than that mine is mostly original. I still have to reseal the tank as it seeps a bit where it was repaired.
After I fix the pegs, I was planning on getting an Electrex World ignition for it. I have a NOS Amal on it, but I'm sure a Mikuni would be an improvement. My tank has been resealed, but still weeps. Ethanol and age is taking its toll on the fiberglass. I want to keep it as close to original as I can.

Rockcat screwed with this post 03-23-2012 at 02:46 PM
Rockcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:28 PM   #15
Ymirtrials OP
Adventurer

[QUOTE=gvadney;18288199]After I fix the pegs, I was planning on getting an Electrex World ignition for it. I have a NOS Amal on it, but I'm sure a Mikuni would be an improvement. My tank has been resealed, but still weeps. Ethanol and age is taking its toll on the fiberglass. I want to keep it as close to original as I can./QUOTE]

What did you use to reseal the tank, I was planning to use some caswells that has been recommended to me. I put the mikuni on because the original amal just would not work anymore.. Your sherpa looks great, I got mine from my dad and he competed on it in the mid 70s in ontario and NY, I had such a great time riding it last year once I got it running properly that I'm hooked!