Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2014, 01:23 AM   #1
Bobmiller90 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
XT660Z Tenere weight reduction.

All,
I've been eyeing up a few single cylinder ADV bikes and have a question on the Yamaha XT660Z Tenere.
Looking at the official specs (for what good they are worth) I see that the wet weight of the bike is listed at 215KG's. Looking at some of the BMW F800's and the Triumph Tiger 800 XC I see that they are listing the same weight (although I'm not sure if that is 'wet').
So, it would appear that the Tenere 660 is really heavy for a single cylinder bike?
As someone that really does offroad riding (not just riding on dirt roads) I know that excess weight can be a big problem, so my questions is this:

Does anybody have any REAL experience, backed up by REAL stats on how far a 660 Tenere can be slimmed down?

Obviously budget is a factor, so I'm not talking about one-off custom Titanium machined parts; i just want to hear from anyone that has thought the same as me and has tried to lighten the 660 as far as possible.

Pics would be an added bonus!

thanks,
All gone...
ApriliaSMV750 - Present
Bobmiller90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:43 AM   #2
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,618
Start here.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=917993
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

George Carlin
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:50 AM   #3
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmiller90 View Post
All,
I've been eyeing up a few single cylinder ADV bikes and have a question on the Yamaha XT660Z Tenere.
Looking at the official specs (for what good they are worth) I see that the wet weight of the bike is listed at 215KG's. Looking at some of the BMW F800's and the Triumph Tiger 800 XC I see that they are listing the same weight (although I'm not sure if that is 'wet').
So, it would appear that the Tenere 660 is really heavy for a single cylinder bike?
As someone that really does offroad riding (not just riding on dirt roads) I know that excess weight can be a big problem, so my questions is this:

Does anybody have any REAL experience, backed up by REAL stats on how far a 660 Tenere can be slimmed down?

Obviously budget is a factor, so I'm not talking about one-off custom Titanium machined parts; i just want to hear from anyone that has thought the same as me and has tried to lighten the 660 as far as possible.

Pics would be an added bonus!

thanks,
Hi Bob - I did this a while ago now, but this thread ought to give you some pointers:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512589

As I recall, when the bike was launched (in 2008), the dry weight of the XT660Z Tenere was quoted as 185Kg - and it carries 23 litres of fuel.

My build was as much about beefing the bike up for racing, so not a lot of weight was ultimately saved - it's just I ended up with more performance, more suspension travel and stronger wheels etc. As you might image, where I did save weight I then effectively added it back on with a metal bash-plate, and all the rally navigation gear...

Anyway, the two areas you can save significant weight as (as I think Jaumev also suggestes) is the standard box exhaust (it weights 8kg!), together with the large tail fender/rear light combo - that has a huge chunk of steel supporting it too.

I honestly don't think its worth dropping one of the front discs, unless you intend to replace the forks & wheel with something else (and that is £££s!) - then I guess a single caliper and a 300/320mm disc would save another Kg or so.

At the end of the day, the Tenere has a big steel frame (not a rear subframe, it's all one piece), and a big old-school engine - and it's that which really weighs a lot... That is no bad thing, as it's what makes the bike pretty much unbustable in general use.

I took a bog standard one to the USA for six months in 2008/09, and took it everywhere - the Trans-Am Trail, Moab, the high passes in Colorado, the desert in Arizona, Nevada and New Mexico... It's a great bike on the move - it just weighs a bit when you have to pick it up/dig it out - a good incentive not to drop it so much!

Hope that helps!

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:06 AM   #4
Juan Valderrama
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
I installed the 2 in 1 Akrapovik carbon fiber exhaust system from OTR, saving about 6 kg and making the rear cooler, since the big catalizer is attached under the passengers seat and makes it very hot. The stock exhaust is just very heavy although nice looking.

I also use dry bags saving the frames of the hard bags, now that the Akrapovik makes all cooler I do not have the problem of melting the dry bags with the heat of the pipes.

However the bike is heavy for hard off road driving, so if possible I go low on fuel if I need to get to a hard dirt road.

Another thing is to add weight to the lower parts of the bike, thus lowering the center of gravity. For example carry tools in the skid plate, or if you use crash bars install only the lover section since the plastic covers are strong enough (believe me, I am a very bad driver, I keep dropping the bike all the time). Also the central stand adds weigth to the bottom of the bike.

It's just a heavy bike, one has to get use to it.

Enviado desde mi SM-N9005 mediante Tapatalk
Juan Valderrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:16 AM   #5
Bobmiller90 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for this reply. This is what I expected. To get the bike down to a dry weight of e.g. 150-160kg might be very expensive.
Thanks,
Bob
All gone...
ApriliaSMV750 - Present
Old 01-23-2014, 07:07 AM   #6
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,618
I would say not possible, or worth what it would cost.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

George Carlin
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:23 AM   #7
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
I would say not possible, or worth what it would cost.
I agree - that low wouldn't be possible (otherwise I think Yamaha would have gone some way to doing it in the first place). I reckon with all my mods, I saved 10-15kg at best.

Thorsten at OTR (that Juan mentions above) reckoned his XT660R based Rally bike weighed in at around 155-160Kg - but that was with a replacement fibreglass tank and fairing, with aluminium brackets - the Tenere tank is a huge lump of plastic on it's own (double skinned) - so if you were planning on replacing that then you might as well start with the XT660R model in the first place?

I'd suggest you don't get too hung up on the spec sheet (of any bike!) - try and get a seat/ride on a XT660Z and see what you think - and similarly with the F800 and Tiger 800 - as importantly, consider what it is you actually want to do with the bike - Without a doubt the twins are going to be noticeably more powerful and ideal for everyday use, and primarily on-road touring with the occasional dirt-road thrown in there - but they are not 'off-road' bikes.

The Tenere on the other hand is far more like an over-grown dirtbike - the geometry was (or at least felt) very similar to my XR650R, and it is far more crash/drop worthy than either the BMW or the Triumph.

Certainly I have taken a Tenere places I would never dream of taking a big twin 'soft-roader' style bike, certainly not solo.

Plenty of people will also attest to the long-term/high-mileage reliability of the Tenere - just remember it is a big touring dirtbike rather than a two-wheeled SUV.

If you haven't checked it out already, it might be worth looking at the XT660.com forum for a lot of information about this bike and the other XT models.

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:24 AM   #8
Bobmiller90 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks everyone that replied. Most useful.
I will try to find a demo and take it for a ride.
All gone...
ApriliaSMV750 - Present
Old 01-25-2014, 04:34 AM   #9
Tiggs
Dreamin of Adventure

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
I agree - that low wouldn't be possible (otherwise I think Yamaha would have gone some way to doing it in the first place). I reckon with all my mods, I saved 10-15kg at best.

Thorsten at OTR (that Juan mentions above) reckoned his XT660R based Rally bike weighed in at around 155-160Kg - but that was with a replacement fibreglass tank and fairing, with aluminium brackets - the Tenere tank is a huge lump of plastic on it's own (double skinned) - so if you were planning on replacing that then you might as well start with the XT660R model in the first place?

I'd suggest you don't get too hung up on the spec sheet (of any bike!) - try and get a seat/ride on a XT660Z and see what you think - and similarly with the F800 and Tiger 800 - as importantly, consider what it is you actually want to do with the bike - Without a doubt the twins are going to be noticeably more powerful and ideal for everyday use, and primarily on-road touring with the occasional dirt-road thrown in there - but they are not 'off-road' bikes.

The Tenere on the other hand is far more like an over-grown dirtbike - the geometry was (or at least felt) very similar to my XR650R, and it is far more crash/drop worthy than either the BMW or the Triumph.

Certainly I have taken a Tenere places I would never dream of taking a big twin 'soft-roader' style bike, certainly not solo.

Plenty of people will also attest to the long-term/high-mileage reliability of the Tenere - just remember it is a big touring dirtbike rather than a two-wheeled SUV.

If you haven't checked it out already, it might be worth looking at the XT660.com forum for a lot of information about this bike and the other XT models.

Jx
I like reading your posts JMo. You have an excellent understanding of bikes in general, and of course more specifically the Tenere, but you put it all into very wise words!

2011 Yamaha XT660R
TRX850 Fun, Fun, Fun
Tiggs is offline   Reply With Quote