User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2014, 07:16 AM   #1
enigma2y0u OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Bike for my four year old girl

I looked for a place to put this, but I don't know. I assume it will be a thumper so why not here.

I also searched, but most everything I found was for bigger kids or gear for sale.

I want to get her on a little bike. We took a few rides on my wife's WR250R and she rides off road a lot in other vehicles. She cannot ride a bike without training wheels yet. She is almost 4, but is really really big for her age.

What bikes are people buying these days that have training wheel ability?
Are there any little Chinese bikes that would be cheaper?

I assume used is the way to go, but I cannot find much info on the differences between the little 50cc bikes. Hell Yamaha seems to make two models and I can't figure out the difference.

She needs a quiet little tame kids bike that can have training wheels.

Any thoughts?
enigma2y0u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:55 AM   #2
Dao1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
EZ RIDE

http://www.e-z-ride.com/vault/products.html

makes training wheels for all the big 4 50cc kids' dirt bikes as well as the china made ones and the electric powered kids mini dirt bikes too. So it's just a matter of picking out any starter bike that best fits your daughter.
Dao1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:04 AM   #3
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Oddometer: 631
I got an XR50 for my girls, came with those e-z-ride training wheels and at first I thought they were pretty cool, because the girls could ride by themselves. Problem is, it teaches them bad habits. Since the inside wheel prevents you from leaning into a turn like you should, you end up leaning right when turning left, for instance. It's a very unnatural feeling, made even worse by any kind of bumps in the ground. My suggestion would be to get your girl one of those balance bicycles and let her get comfortable on two wheels while you find a nice cheap used 50, and skip the training wheels.
Starchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:10 AM   #4
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,649
Yamaha's PW 50 is much smaller than the TTR 50. The PW is the one you need. Just get a good quality one from a major motorcycle company. They resell easy so the investment is not any issue. I had people standing in line for my son's bikes, when he was growing up. Don't buy one that's to big and think she can grow in to it, buy something she can fit and ride now! But the training wheels suck, they're in the way and take traction of the drive wheel when they lean. I wouldn't let my son have a M/C till he could ride a bicycle without training wheels, that was an incentive for him to learn. He started on a little quad before he was 3, he learned throttle and bake control. Then it was an easy move to the M/C when he was allmost 4. He started racing MX that summer.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:11 AM   #5
tilliejacques
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Check out an Oset electric trials bike. One or two settings for taming power and very quiet of course. There are several small models for kids--in fact the whole product is aimed at kids.

I don't remember seeing where you are but our New Mexico trials club has a good knowledgeable dealer SparkyBikes.com. I'm not affiliated in any way, just for your info.

Www.osetbikes.com

cheers
Old 11-19-2014, 08:29 AM   #6
backpain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
The small Razor electric MC is a good short term learner. Quiet, hassle free (except for charging). Handles grassy flat terrain just fine. A small ramp and small bumps/hills are ok, too. Find a used one and buy a new battery for it if it needs one. They get costly and scarce around Xmas, however.

Then depending on child's size, you are straight to a 50 or a 70/110 (in the 4t world, and assuming not yet ready for clutch or the size of the cobras and KTMs). I hate spoiling kids, but estart keeps dad from having to run out and kick it every time they fall in the grass - if they are not heavy/strong enough to kick start. Falling and getting right back on is part of the process.

backpain screwed with this post 11-19-2014 at 08:37 AM
backpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:50 AM   #7
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma2y0u View Post
She cannot ride a bike without training wheels yet. She is almost 4, but is really really big for her age.
I will second that training wheels teach bad habits. I have three boys, they all ride and ride well. The rule at our place was no motorized bikes until they went a COMPLETE summer on a bicycle without training wheels. Not only does that teach them the balance they need but also gives them leg strength to hold the bike.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:51 AM   #8
Dao1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchamp View Post
Problem is, it teaches them bad habits. Since the inside wheel prevents you from leaning into a turn like you should, you end up leaning right when turning left, for instance. It's a very unnatural feeling, made even worse by any kind of bumps in the ground.
THere's more to learning how to ride a bike than just leaning and balance. THere's also the complex interaction of using the right amount of twist on the throttle as a function of speed, and the amount of braking as a function of stopping, and a combination of both to control the bike under a wide variety of terrain . I found w/ the training wheels, my kids were able to explore and master the throttle and braking first, w/o having to also know how to balance at the same time, and this made for a much easier learning curve and got them hooked into riding from the get-go. The balancing part wasn't a priority b/c once they're comfortable w/ riding the bike faster, the higher speed will automatically balance the bike and the training wheels won't be touching the ground. The training wheels gave my boys this confidence to ride wfo out on a big field.

Quote:
The small Razor electric MC is a good short term learner.
Wish we had that bike back when my kids were learning to ride. I lost so much saturday mornings trying to get those gas powered 50cc bikes to fire up. That's the one big negative for a pw50 I didn't like. It came w/ an oil injection system that made cold starts a hit or a miss, in my case, alot of missed saturday rides.
Dao1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:53 AM   #9
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,647
My daughter started with a PW50 at the age of four.....however, she was already able to ride a two-wheeler bicycle without training wheels.

The first couple of times she rode the PW, we kept the training wheels on, so she could figure out the throttle/brakes without also having to worry about keeping the bike upright.

Once she had those figured out, we took off the training wheels, and it took all of 30 seconds for her to put everything together and off she went!

Personally, I would wait until she has mastered a bicycle without training wheels before putting her on a motorcycle.

The PW is a great starter bike. Very easy to ride. Super easy to work on. Holds it value. Easy to find.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:30 AM   #10
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper_Bob View Post

Personally, I would wait until she has mastered a bicycle without training wheels before putting her on a motorcycle.

The PW is a great starter bike. Very easy to ride. Super easy to work on. Holds it value. Easy to find.
Agreed. My boys had to have balance learned already on a bicycle.
Plus they can regularly ride their bicycle around the neighborhood.
We did PW50, then to XR70 then XR100.
They're adults now lol.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:32 AM   #11
alansz400
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 873
She has her whole life to ride wait until she is ready and skip the training wheels. I started my boys out on XR50s in the back yard we have a small hill they would ride down the hill with the bike shut off that way all they had to worry about was turning, stoping and not falling over. I would push the bike back up the hill and they ride down. It didn't take long and I was sick of pushing the bike up the hill and they got good at coasting down. So we let them ride up the hill shut the bike off and they coast down. Worked great with the oldest boy the youngest boy seemed to have it figured out until he hit a tree.
alansz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:43 AM   #12
MSH
The Salt

Oddometer: 3,080
Here is my boy a few years ago... Recommended for its weight for a beginner with zero experience.

MSH screwed with this post 11-19-2014 at 10:51 AM
MSH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:19 AM   #13
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,045
KTM690... she'll grow into it! Best bike for everyone!

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:19 AM   #14
roadrider18
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Start 'em out on a BMX dirt bike. Lots of BMX parks for them to learn their skills.

It's an easy transition from human powered bike to motorized version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NAPurSWId8
Advanced riding skills above, but, you get the idea.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:09 PM   #15
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper_Bob View Post
My daughter started with a PW50 at the age of four....
yup, PW50 with training wheels.

edit: and yes embarrassingly enough, i took a picture of my monitor screen. i lack ur technology... :(

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203

vintagespeed screwed with this post 11-19-2014 at 12:09 PM Reason: blah
vintagespeed is online now   Reply With Quote