User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2015, 08:05 AM   #1
ry8762 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Ktm 690 enduro SM Pro wheels

I have a set of 17" Sm pro wheels im trying to fit to a 14 enduro, i was told when ordering that they was tubeless but on finally getting round to fitting them i have realized they are not which did not concern me at first but the more i think about it the more i dont like the idea, the reason being i will be doing a lot of touring so the last thing i need with a puncture is innertubes so my questions are-

*If i was to keep them tubed, i can not find any rim tape wide enough to cover the spoke nipples that fills the dip/dish, the widest i can find is 40mm, so how do i go about that?

*Do i have to buy tyres specifically for innertubes or is this irrelevant?

*If i wanted them tubeless is it possible to convert them? i found a post where they have used silicone sealent and duct tape, is that sufficient or is there a better way of doing this?

*Is the rim any different from tubed to tubeless where the tyre sits?

Please help cheers! :

ry8762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:20 AM   #2
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by ry8762 View Post
I have a set of 17" Sm pro wheels im trying to fit to a 14 enduro, i was told when ordering that they was tubeless but on finally getting round to fitting them i have realized they are not which did not concern me at first but the more i think about it the more i dont like the idea, the reason being i will be doing a lot of touring so the last thing i need with a puncture is innertubes so my questions are-

1. *If i was to keep them tubed, i can not find any rim tape wide enough to cover the spoke nipples that fills the dip/dish, the widest i can find is 40mm, so how do i go about that?

2. *Do i have to buy tyres specifically for innertubes or is this irrelevant?

3. *If i wanted them tubeless is it possible to convert them? i found a post where they have used silicone sealent and duct tape, is that sufficient or is there a better way of doing this?

4. *Is the rim any different from tubed to tubeless where the tyre sits?

Please help cheers! :
1. Duct tape seems to work fine.

2. No. You'll want tubes for radial tires or supermoto tubes. They are listed as such, normally have red marking on the valve stem. Dump some talcum powder in the tire.

3. I've read the same, but no personal experience.

4. No.

Seems that many KTM supermotos come with tubes in the tires.