Old 03-24-2012, 04:16 PM   #64
ROAD DAMAGE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysco View Post
...Only gatos.
Gatos solamente, yo entiende!

Those pineapple empanadas do sound tasty Dysco.

I think the best thing I've ever had to eat in MX (Yucatan) ............... was home made coconut ice cream. They poured some dark salsa de chocolate' on it and I damn near tore up my return ticket and passport right then and there.

Tell all the mamacitas con nalgitas bonitas that I said howdy!

Enjoying the RR!
Old 03-25-2012, 12:36 AM   #65
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,395
Doggies

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:19 AM   #66
ckjj888
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Cute dog, I like dogs!
ckjj888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #67
Dysco OP
caddis muncher

Oddometer: 15,883
FWIW, anyone heading down there soon should know that there are machines on the road just north of the checkpoint near Alfonsinas. They're using sand and watering the heck out of it which may or may not be difficult on a moto. Cody left a trench going up this hill and I had to shift to 4wd. They also graded the road to Coco's and it's much looser than before on the main track which can suck for those not used to riding sand.
Dysco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:48 PM   #68
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,494
Quote:
FWIW, anyone heading down there soon should know that there are machines on the road just north of the checkpoint near Alfonsinas. They're using sand and watering the heck out of it which may or may not be difficult on a moto. Cody left a trench going up this hill and I had to shift to 4wd. They also graded the road to Coco's and it's much looser than before on the main track which can suck for those not used to riding sand.
that pic makes me really sad.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:26 AM   #69
pchGS
Mark

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Looks like I just missed that 'fun'. They weren't in that process two weeks ago when I went through both ways. The pavement just keeps getting longer and longer. Hopefully by the time I can get back they won't have paved the entire road system.
pchGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #70
MTDuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchGS View Post
Looks like I just missed that 'fun'. They weren't in that process two weeks ago when I went through both ways. The pavement just keeps getting longer and longer. Hopefully by the time I can get back they won't have paved the entire road system.
We just came through there 4 days ago, it sucked on big bikes. The road south of Cocos was fine, rocky but fine on loaded WeeStroms........but all the roadwork left consistently uncertain footing most of the way north from Alfonsinas. I think I had about 5 close calls and my brother had a few less. No naps though.

You guys must have missed the ugliest dog in Baja (San Ignacio), I will include a pic on our ride report to come. It looked like something chupacabra ate and crapped out. Damn its was ugly.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #71
Dysco OP
caddis muncher

While I'm not a fan of the pavement myself, it will bring some serious economic changes to the locals and make access a lot less dangerous and expensive. Coco is planning on having a huge parking area for trucks and trailers from people starting their trip south from his place. (5k from the pavemento)

When I say expensive I'm talking about tire costs and thinking about Coco losing the whole front end of his big truck while bringing back a delivery from San Felipe. It's fixed now, but he demonstrated his cussing skills when describing where he'd been for nearly a week.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:44 PM   #72
advrockrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
love this RR

This is a cool spin you put on things... We all see the dogs when riding down there, but what a cool perspective to make it a focal point of your RR! Keep it coming...
advrockrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #73
edeslaur
San Diegan

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
While I'm not a fan of the pavement myself, it will bring some serious economic changes to the locals and make access a lot less dangerous and expensive.
LESS dangerous? Last time I checked, it was dangerous near towns and places with easy access.

In fact, if I look at stats across the US, per capita, it's more dangerous in places which are easy to get to as well...

Re less expensive, no way. Price will go up with improved access, because it will bring "progress" and more expensive real estate.

I've never considered Baja expensive. Ever. San Felipe is a lot more expensive than it used to be (compared to the US), but it's become a miniature US down there. Lots of locals left, but way more of us Americanos than there used to be even a decade ago.

My last couple of trips (check sig), I was paying around $2 a gallon everywhere in Baja, including in some really remote areas. Upon our return to the US after the most recent trip, diesel was over $5. I was ready to turn around and go back. Last I checked, the US was plenty developed... ;-)

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- 07 Aug West coast PDX->SAN
- More!

edeslaur screwed with this post 03-26-2012 at 03:59 PM
edeslaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #74
Dysco OP
caddis muncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by edeslaur View Post
LESS dangerous? Last time I checked, it was dangerous near towns and places with easy access.

In fact, if I look at stats across the US, per capita, it's more dangerous in places which are easy to get to as well...

Re less expensive, no way. Price will go up with improved access, because it will bring "progress" and more expensive real estate.

I've never considered Baja expensive. Ever. San Felipe is a lot more expensive than it used to be (compared to the US), but it's become a miniature US down there. Lots of locals left, but way more of us Americanos than there used to be even a decade ago.

My last couple of trips (check sig), I was paying around $2 a gallon everywhere in Baja, including in some really remote areas. Upon our return to the US after the most recent trip, diesel was over $5. I was ready to turn around and go back. Last I checked, the US was plenty developed... ;-)

Whatever.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #75
Dysco OP
caddis muncher

We saw this dog on the main drag in Loreto a lot. He gets around and knows that the gringos are suckers.