User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
Leaf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
130/90-16 compatible car tire?

Do y'all have any ideas for a car tire that could replace a 130/90-16 on a shaft drive bike? A 1980 Honda CB900C, in particular. Preferably an M+S tire.

I can't go any wider hardly at all. Very very little driveshaft clearance as it is. Too bad it's not a 15"; I might be able to mount a VW tire.....
Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
leejosepho
Sure, I can do that!

Oddometer: 450
In 15" sizes, car tires are actually smaller than motorcycle tires as far as rim diameter is concerned and can be almost impossible to mount ... but I do not know for sure about 16" tires.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
Leaf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I've got plenty of starter fluid. XD
Old 08-09-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 897
There are no longer any tires that will work on this. We use to have a tire called a "Twin tire" where two tires were ran on the same automotive rim such that you had 8 tires on your car. These tires worked great as sidecar tires, they came in either a 125 90 16 or a 125 85 16 and yes we had M + S ratings however as it has been about 12 years since they were last made if you were able to find any more I can not recomend running them as they are now quite old. When they were being discontinued when we found out about it we purchased 750 of these tires but have been sold out for years now.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jay@dmcsidecars.com
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
Leaf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hmm........

Alternately, I could try to "relace" (of that's the term to use with comstar wheels) the CB900C hub to a 15" comstar rim and run a VW tire. But I have no idea what rims will fit what hubs with what "spokes". D:

The CX500 (which shares the same final drive as the CB900C) came in a version with an 18" rim, which I could run my lovely $35 shinkos on and just burn through them, but they all had a drum brake and I think the bearings/axle are a different size. :/
Old 08-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
smith8833
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Check out this web site http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/

I run this tire on a 16 harley cast rim as the pusher tire, running great!
https://www.universaltire.com/175r16...axi-black.html

MC tire that was on it was 150/90/16

Watch the width!!!!!!! (sectional)
smith8833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:20 PM   #7
Leaf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks! But yea, the width is killer. Anything bigger than a 140 rubs on these things. :<
Old 08-10-2012, 03:00 AM   #8
leejosepho
Sure, I can do that!

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf View Post
Hmm........

Alternately, I could try to "relace" (of that's the term to use with comstar wheels) the CB900C hub to a 15" comstar rim and run a VW tire. But I have no idea what rims will fit what hubs with what "spokes". D:
If there is a way to do that, these guys will likely know ...

http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/
Old 08-10-2012, 06:52 AM   #9
Pugsley/Hobbfather
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Re-laced ComStars?!?!

Look for a spoked rim that fits the drive. Comstars will likely be impossible to re lace as they are not laced.

The 18" option might be best.

Switching to the CB900F final drive (chain) will let you get a wider tire with the same engine. Alternately, blast through tires...might be cheaper.
Pugsley/Hobbfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:26 AM   #10
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 897
I have a set of plates for the comstar wheels that convert them to spoke type wheels that can be laced to what ever you want. $100 for the plates. No idea where they came from or if they are a one off.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
www.dmcsidecars.com
jay@dmcsidecars.com
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #11
Leaf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks, Jay! I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Interesting. Last night I was looking at some CX500 forums where they'd done the plate/spoke conversion, and was trying to figure out if I had good enough equipment/skills to make some. :P

They're also fond of drilling out the rivets and "relacing" comstars with sleeved aircraft bolts and loctite. Nobody has posted any wheel failures from doing that so.....

I think attempt #1 will involve getting a CB900F 18" rear rim off of fleabay and trying to "lace" it up to the 900C hub.... Then I'll have a larger selection of cheap tires D/S to blow through. I /think/ it'll fit inside the swingarm...... This seems more attractive to me than spoke maintenance. I know, it seems a little silly to run D/S tires on a big bike like that, and I don't intend to be blazing any trails over non-roads with something that heavy, for fear of getting stuck and not being able to unstick it through main strength and awkwardness, but I ride on a lot of dirt roads, and the usual street tires are just too squirrley on that packed dirt...

Seems like there weren't ever any 15" comstar rims made, so if it ends up blowing through cheap tires too fast, I might have to revisit the wire spoke conversion option.

I think a CB450C 2.15x18 front wheel will swap directly on in place of the 19" that's on there, like I did with the Hawk. Maybe an '82 GL1100 2.50x18 front wheel, too.... That'd give me a little flatter tire profile with a 4.10-18 than the 2.15 width rim does... The results of a slightly taller rear tire with a slightly shorter front should reduce trail a little (I think?). Then swapping on some leading axle forks from an 81-82 900C ought to give a little more....

In any case, none of this is going to happen for a while. I want to get the engine running and rebuild the suspension and brakes and get it road-worthy and inspected before I go haring off on this optional-but-nice-to-have stuff. :3 Just trying to plan out as much as I can in advance...
Old 08-10-2012, 04:53 PM   #12
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,071
I think I saw where Chris from Boxermetal has some 15" car tire sized rims available if you choose to go with the spoke conversion.
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #13
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,075

This is Chopper Charles bike from a thread in Old's Cool. He mated the stock hub that had been a 16'er to the plates and rim from a bike with a 17"er.
So it seems doable . Pick your rim size and mix and match.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #14
Leaf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Man, I want a CX so badly. O_O

With stupidly fat tires that I could go swampin' with. >:3
Old 08-11-2012, 01:32 AM   #15
OMW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf View Post
Do y'all have any ideas for a car tire that could replace a 130/90-16 on a shaft drive bike? A 1980 Honda CB900C, in particular. Preferably an M+S tire.

I can't go any wider hardly at all. Very very little driveshaft clearance as it is. Too bad it's not a 15"; I might be able to mount a VW tire.....
I have GTR1000 ( concours ) which I am building into a sidecar which has the same tyre size as standard. I have fitted a 175/60x16 M&S Dunlop from a BMW Mini. This clears the shaft drive as the sidewalls are much straighter even though the tyre is wider. The smaller outside diameter also lowers the gearing which is useful. There are also 165/50x16, 165/45x16 and even 165/40x16 in Europe if this helps. I will post some pics if you want.
The 16" car tyre goes on a motorcycle no problem but 15" car tyres do not fit well on 15" motorcycle wheels ( I have tried ! )
OMW is offline   Reply With Quote