Old 03-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #16
Biebs OP
BMW Airhead

Oddometer: 390
On my way!!!

Tug:

Sidecar:

Mock setup:

OK old style mount systen with eyes and blocks. Need to spend some time cleaning sidecar up and exploring mounting hardware. This rig is light plan to use subrame something used (cheap), need tire/ cleanup. Got started cheap found this on Craigslist. Old American Eagle unit.

Looking for mount suggestions for bike 1974 BMW R75/6 - ???

Biebs screwed with this post 04-01-2012 at 03:24 PM
Biebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #17
NitroMax
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
Nice looking sidecar, can you post bigger pics ?
1200 cc Z1000 dragbike (1976)
300 cc MZ transporthack (1989) winterhack
900 cc BMW R 90/6 hack ( 1976) summerhack
750 cc BMW K 75 RT ( 1993 ) daily driver

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter ( Mark Twain )
NitroMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #18
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 916
Congrats, Biebs! This will be a whole new world for you....
Old 03-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #19
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biebs View Post
TUG

. . . .

Looking for mount suggestions for bike 1974 BMW R75/6 - ???
Keeping in mind that BMW announced that with the release of their /5 models (superseding the excellently hack-worthy R27, R50, R60, & R69S series) buyers would have to "forgo the fitting of a sidecar". Its not just the change from Earls Fork (with adjustable Trail) to Telescopic Fork . . . . its all about dropping the sturdy straight-line frame and going for a Lightweight replacement.
What this means is that the NEW thinwall main cradle (with its bolt-on rear subframe) was not up to the demands imposed by adding the hack frame, tub, & wheel.

To overcome these deficiencies owners have to resort to attaching load-carrying subframes, crossbracing, or any variation of these "solutions". But, under all of this is still that thinwall tubing in the middle of it all.

Do you know that the usual way to "hack" a BMW in the seventies was to FIRST mount the /5 motor in what we call a /2 frame, inspite of clearance issues around the front pointscover casting?

Yet another way to retain that /5, /6, or /7 German motor, but have a more-robust frame!

The Ultimate Sidecar Conversion!

Another pic. (1024x768) All in the color that the buyer decides!

vortexau screwed with this post 03-28-2012 at 08:35 PM Reason: linking a less-garish color-scheme option
vortexau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:10 AM   #20
val. h.
On the wrong planet

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexau View Post
Keeping in mind that BMW announced that with the release of their /5 models (superseding the excellently hack-worthy R27, R50, R60, & R69S series) buyers would have to "forgo the fitting of a sidecar". Its not just the change from Earls Fork (with adjustable Trail) to Telescopic Fork . . . . its all about dropping the sturdy straight-line frame and going for a Lightweight replacement.
What this means is that the NEW thinwall main cradle (with its bolt-on rear subframe) was not up to the demands imposed by adding the hack frame, tub, & wheel.

To overcome these deficiencies owners have to resort to attaching load-carrying subframes, crossbracing, or any variation of these "solutions". But, under all of this is still that thinwall tubing in the middle of it all.
That's interesting. My 1989 R80 Hack is attached directly to the main frame. Just under the steering head, just under the seat, the front engine mount and the front foot rest.

From what I can work out it's been like that since 2007 at least and has done several thousand miles on trips around Europe to the winter rallies. All with an adult male passenger in the hack plus luggage.

My frame has R80RT plated on the headstock and is (I understand) a 1989 Mono. Does that mean the later Mono frames are made of thicker tubing? The mounts are the universal type and the rear one doesn't even have the plate between the bolt and frame. There's no sign of ware though.

I was thinking of beefing the hack frame up a little to make it stronger as it is a Velorex, so currently very light. I'm also thinking of raising the ground clearence for light off road use and maybe even a two wheel drive mod some time in the future too.

Should I be worrying now that the hack is likely to seperate from the bike at any moment?

Val.

Ay! and the roads need to be bloody good too
val. h. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:04 AM   #21
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

"Should I be worrying now that the hack is likely to seperate from the bike at any moment?"

Probably not, but you might want to keep an eye out for metal fatigue and cracks. I have seen two airhead sidecar tugs with cracks at the headstock gussets and also one downtube that had begun being sawed in half by a muffler clamp the guy was using as a mount clamp.

Jay at DMC and Claude at AS have both posted horror stories about failed frames, and there's one thread with a heated debate regarding an R90 rig and subframe vs. no-subframe.

As it was explained to me, the purpose of a subframe is to distribute and alleviate direct stress on the bike's own frame, and also to stiffen the bike frame against twisting. They didn't call them Rubber Cows for nothing. I'd say if you want to jack up your car and put it through really strenuous riding it's worth serious thought about using a subframe.

MotoJ screwed with this post 03-29-2012 at 07:12 AM
MotoJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #22
Biebs OP
BMW Airhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexau View Post

Do you know that the usual way to "hack" a BMW in the seventies was to FIRST mount the /5 motor in what we call a /2 frame, inspite of clearance issues around the front pointscover casting?

Yet another way to retain that /5, /6, or /7 German motor, but have a more-robust frame!

The Ultimate Sidecar Conversion!

Another pic. (1024x768) All in the color that the buyer decides!

Yes all taken into consideration - The current sidecar weights less than 100 pounds will use 80 lbs to load for alignment purpose's. Opinion's ( everyone has one) varies on the direct frame mount or subframe usage. Also a better solution would be to replace frame with a /2 frame built from the BMW factory to handle a sidecar.

Okay here are my current option

1. http://boxermetal.com/?wpsc-product=...decar-subframe - very nice piece - expensive

2. http://www.dmcsidecars.com/sidecar_m...ounts-for-bmw/ Jay at DMC sent me info on this looks very nice

3. http://motorvation.com/r100mts1.htm frame mount clamps

Thinking..........

Biebs screwed with this post 03-29-2012 at 02:22 PM
Old 03-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #23
NitroMax
Studly Adventurer

The one in the ad I posted is still for sale and asking price is only 175,- ( $ 233 ) without shipping !

It is a Peikert "model" so no original Peikert, keep that in mind

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter ( Mark Twain )
Old 03-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #24
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroMax View Post
The one in the ad I posted is still for sale and asking price is only € 175,- ( $ 233 ) without shipping !

It is a Peikert "model" so no original Peikert, keep that in mind

That's a fantastic deal! It's virtually the same as the Boxerworks subframe at 80% less!

I paid around $600 for this Bauhs subframe(all parts not pictured). The one Nitromax posted is a good one.

Keep in mind though, that those have lower mounts that are for the ball and jaw arrangement. You'll need to fab some stuff to get your car on there. 'Course, if you traded up for a Dnepr car, you'd be all set....

If it's gone, then my vote would be for the DMC subframe. I don't like how the Motorvation has the rear mount attached in that gusset. Just my $.02......

Check out Perry's Sidecars too. They make mounts for airheads and also their own triple trees, to decrease trail. They're kind of in the rudimentary stages website-wise, so it takes a phone call.
http://www.perrysmotorcycles.com/

MotoJ screwed with this post 03-29-2012 at 11:39 AM
MotoJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #25
NitroMax
Studly Adventurer

Those clamps are often for sale on the German ebay ( www.ebay.de ) for not too much money.

searchwords in German are beiwagen or seitenwagen and a clamp is often called a "schnelle"

Or maybe Gunther can help you: http://www.mzsimson.de/, he speaks/writes English without a problem !

Old 03-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #26
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopscotching View Post
Contact Chris @ http://boxermetal.com/ or pm him "bmweuro"

We used this subframe on my hack

1976 BMW with Ural sidecar

Hi HS,

I just realized you must be the guy whose subframe I bought from Chris. He told me he had it picked out for a customer's sidecar project, but ended up switching to the one you posted..

Your rig turned out beautifully! Are you going to take that ATW ? It could do it!
Old 03-29-2012, 02:07 PM   #27
Biebs OP
BMW Airhead

Thumb Score!!!!

Bought a DMC - used subframe off the BMWIR website for Velorex sidecar.

Sidecar frame is stripped - ordered new wheel bearings common to a lot of 4 wheelers.

18 inch wheel, wheel bearings 40mm x 68mm x 15mm local bike shop wanted 36.95 each Internet price 8.99 each.

Never pay retail is my moto!!!!

Swing arm bearings are good will grease and reinstall. Shock is also good.

This is going to well and fast I expected to take a couple of months to get this going - got the sidecar on Monday.

Should have the subframe next week!!!!

MOTOJ - want to see more on the Flathead tear down and rebuild!!!! Transmission status????

NITROMAX - thanks but international shipping is to be avoided at all cost - because it cost's !!!!!

Biebs screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 11:35 PM
Old 03-29-2012, 03:52 PM   #28
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
We have eye bolts that we use to adapt the California sidecars 3/8 inch holes to our set up. What you do is cut off the end of the strut which will give you 3/4 16tpi male threads, you then thread our eye bolt onto the end using red loctite and then attach to our our mounts using an eye bolt to eye bolt hook up. The eye bolts sell for $45 each.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jay@dmcsidecars.com
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:38 PM   #29
hopscotching
On the road...

Oddometer: 207
Don't mean to hijack the thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJ View Post
Hi HS,

I just realized you must be the guy whose subframe I bought from Chris. He told me he had it picked out for a customer's sidecar project, but ended up switching to the one you posted..

Your rig turned out beautifully! Are you going to take that ATW ? It could do it!
The hack, my girl and dog will be at a few rallies and many miles this year. We are building up to a USA / Mexico year long tour in 2013....

Thank you, I think it look amazing... I am enjoying the look of it now, as with all the miles it will not look that good for long
Mexico starts on this page
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1#post23188421
hopscotching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:30 AM   #30
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Yeehaw!

Nice work, Biebs! You're going to love sidecarring. Take it slow and be safe. Don't scrimp on bearings, mounts, etc. Beefier the better. All the little things are cumulative in building a good-handling, safe rig.

I'll be posting about the transmission soon. As I say in the thread, I'm ahead of the posts, but almost caught up to real time. Motor and tranny in the frame this weekend and back on her own two feet. Then wiring, and the Moment of Truth, wherein I see what I did wrong putting her back together....