ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
tomasv OP
Check the Czech!

Oddometer: 237
Permit for gated roads

Hi guys,

as I was riding in Snoqualmie forest a came across this sign:

Looking at their web this is just another way to make money. They have a permit for motorized access but motorcycles are excluded - the permit costs $225 per year - https://hancockrecreationnw.com/whit...ss-white-river

Anyone tried to talk to them why motorcycle (highway legal) are excluded? I was on the 1200 GS in that area and I think I have done less damage compared to some of the jeeps - trip report is here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...4#post18283574

I would like to change this but don't know where to start - did anyone tried in the past, what is your experience.

Also, anyone has mapped out places that used to be opened and are closed now? I would welcome any such lists (especially for the west part of Cascades), may have access (dinner) with some of the legislators so I would like to prepare myself and see if anything can be done.

Thank you!

T.
tomasv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
Maddaddy
Greg

Oddometer: 1,633
Question ?

Are you asking why they would charge admission to ride on their private property?
Old 03-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
tomasv OP
Check the Czech!

Nope, I am trying to figure out why are motorcycles excluded from being able to buy the permit and if anyone had any conversation with them about trying to open it up to responsible riders...
Old 03-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #4
kwisn
One Happy Dog

Oddometer: 8,249
After 32 years of marriage, I've found it's easier to ask for forgivness than ask for permission. That mantra might be applicable here.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:32 PM   #5
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,427
I sent them an email asking why.

Their response:

-----Original Message-----
From: CRemitz@HNRG.COM [mailto:CRemitz@HNRG.COM] On Behalf Of RecPermits@hnrg.com
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 2:31 PM
To: GEF
Subject: Re: [General Information] Street legal motorcycles not allowed on your property?

Thanks for your inquiry. We do not allow any motorcycles on the property because of safety issues. Our lands are primarily used for industrial activities that involve rock and log trucks.

11/19/2011 09:42 PM To
recadmin@hnrg.com
cc
Subject
[General Information] Street legal motorcycles not allowed on your property?

GEF sent a message using the contact form at http://www.hancockrecreationnw.com/contact.

Why is this? They are allowed everywhere else where there is public access.

I can understand why you do not want ATV's or snowmobiles, but street legal motorcycle?

guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
Xcuvator
Justa Venturer

Oddometer: 1,348
I think it is like "No shirt, No shoes, No service".
It's their property and they call the shots.
The sign could have read: No Trespassing, like most of them do.

So much riding-so little time
Xcuvator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:48 PM   #7
turnsleft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,465
What does Hancock Recreation do/sell, I sure wouldn't want to buy any thing they sell.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:40 AM   #8
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnsleft View Post
What does Hancock Recreation do/sell, I sure wouldn't want to buy any thing they sell.
Let's see now...you have no idea what they make/sell/offer/do, yet you are ready to disparage their "whatever".

Just so you can no longer claim ignorance- https://hancockrecreationnw.com/ It's amazing what you can find on the internet, if you take the time to look.

Maybe further polite inquiries would explain the reason behind the ban?. Getting pissy right away only results in more locked gates.
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:25 AM   #9
tod701
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by guns_equal_freedom View Post
I can understand why you do not want ATV's or snowmobiles, but street legal motorcycle?

Most likely a percieved liability risk.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #10
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,187
don't ask, don't tell
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #11
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by n16ht5 View Post
don't ask, don't tell
AGREE
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:02 AM   #12
tomasv OP
Check the Czech!

"don't ask, don't tell" - I am thinking about that, so if I do get the permit, key for the gates and I am on a motorcycle I loose the permit - $225, OK probably not too bad

What happens if I go around the gate? "Just a ticket" or trespassing charge and criminal misdemeanor - that as a hell is not something I need (loss of contract, possibly being unemployable)

I do think we could try to work with them, I will try to see if I can find any connections on LinkedIn to them and invite them for lunch/coffee...

On another note - any other interesting dirt roads on the west slopes you can share? (big bike suitable)

My next exploring is going to be the Langlois lake area and Tolt River - I have been in that area last year but had no GPS, found a dirt road that was supposed to go all the way to HWY2 only to run into a blue gate about half way in. Will have a GPS tracker and record this time
Old 03-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #13
grinns
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasv View Post
"don't ask, don't tell" - I am thinking about that, so if I do get the permit, key for the gates and I am on a motorcycle I loose the permit - $225, OK probably not too bad

What happens if I go around the gate? "Just a ticket" or trespassing charge and criminal misdemeanor - that as a hell is not something I need (loss of contract, possibly being unemployable)

I do think we could try to work with them, I will try to see if I can find any connections on LinkedIn to them and invite them for lunch/coffee...

On another note - any other interesting dirt roads on the west slopes you can share? (big bike suitable)

My next exploring is going to be the Langlois lake area and Tolt River - I have been in that area last year but had no GPS, found a dirt road that was supposed to go all the way to HWY2 only to run into a blue gate about half way in. Will have a GPS tracker and record this time
I wouldn't post pics behind their gates. There policy is if your back there with out permission your blacklisted for life. Yes they would charge you for trespassing and I believe they have a steep fine.

Most people that go exploring know those industrial trucks HAWL ASS. It would be nice to go back there when there not logging or on roads they are not using. I would even sign a release form.

My friend gets wood back there and I have already asked hancock all these questions.

grinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #14
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwisn View Post
After 32 years of marriage, I've found it's easier to ask for forgivness than ask for permission. That mantra might be applicable here.
And I suppose you would like it if someone trespassed on your land, ignoring signs you put up explicitly forbidding it??

It is that kind of attitude that gets the signs put up in the first place.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #15
kwisn
One Happy Dog

Oddometer: 8,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
And I suppose you would like it if someone trespassed on your land, ignoring signs you put up explicitly forbidding it??

It is that kind of attitude that gets the signs put up in the first place.
You're right. I would hate it if someone trespassed and rode a motorcycle on roads that led to land that I was logging and blowing up rock to make gravel.
I'm sorry Hancock Recreational, please forgive my future trespasses that I'll never do.
If I offended anyone with my blatant hypocrisy regarding the sanctity of private property, please forgive me.