User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2014, 04:38 AM   #1
dwstrong OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Camera Set-ups for Long Trips

I am planning a 3k mile trip in the spring and would like to incorporate some AV into the ride. It appears that the Go-Pro or Drift is the optimal camera to use, but I would also be interested in external storage and power supply to sustain the system over the 8+ hour days in the saddle. I am considering putting a 6W solar cell on the top case to ease the demand on the battery. Has anyone out there developed such a set-up? Any advice is welcome.
Regards,
D. Strong
dwstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:29 AM   #2
CO-or-bust
Wobbly Barn

Oddometer: 167
8+ hours of video...

Dwstrong,

Good luck with the upcoming trip and good to look for input form other Inmates who've done similar treks.

My $0.02 though is to get a wifi remote for your go-pro (or other camera you may choose) and to record somewhat sparingly .

Four reasons: #1. If you plan on recording all of your 8+ hour days and your full 3,000+ miles you would need an EXTRAORDINARY(!!!) amount of memory --- you'd probably have to transfer all of your video off your memory cards into a laptop and then to an external drive dedicated to your vid's. #2. This will create quite a bit of "work" for you during your trip. #3. This will create a TREMENDOUS amount of "work" for you after your trip --- just watching even your own video's of 8+ hours per day, just "in the saddle", for 3,000+ miles will make your eyes bleed. #4. You will HAVE TO invest the time in editng, as absolutely NOBODY (even your wife, or girlfriend, or best friend) will sit through all of that.

Watch ANY "cool" go-pro video on the interweb --- just like ESPN they are highlights --- don't even hafta be "highlights" but do hafta be a series of SHORT "clips" --- quick shot of you at the start of your trip, your bike and set-up (even quick still-shots), and then a series of short, 5 second to 20 second type clips that tell your trips "story" --- where you went, the cool people you met, the incredible vistas you saw, the trials and tribulations you will no doubt encounter --- ideally taken from different angles/perspectives --- helmetcam, low camera angle showing your front tire/lean angles/speed, off-bike hand-held shots, etc. etc. etc.

Will you end up missing something that you wish you had "taped"? No doubt, but the "workload", expense, and headaches you will avoid will be worth it... IMHO

Short shots, mix it up, have fun, both WHILE traveling, AFTER travelling (with less painstaking editing of all the boring shit --- and trust me, there would be TONS of boring shit after 3,000 miles!), AND have a better, much more "watchable" result .

Good luck and ENJOY!!!
Old 01-18-2014, 06:58 AM   #3
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,290
Motoventuring From Alaska to South America - A Collaborative Video Blog!

You need to study the video technique used in this ride report

Yes, there is some on the bike footage, but it's about 5% or less of the total story being told, the bulk of the videos are narration and stills and clips taken where they are traveling.

Very well done and worth watching

If you're not concerned that anyone will want to sit through your hours and hours of video capture, then by all means, focus upon grabbing every mile from the perspective of your helmet cam. Yawn. I mean, it'll be great for you (once), but nobody else will care.

Becky uses Windows Movie Maker, but is moving to a more complicated editing platform. It takes her quite a bit of time to put each episode together. You may already know pressing the record button is the easy part of owning a GoPro or similar.

If you don't intend to edit any of the footage you capture, it all will sit on the card until the next time you go out to capture yet more video that nobody will ever watch.

I hope you break out and enjoy creating ride related video. Done right, both the author and the audience really enjoy it.

Done wrong, and its a lot of investment in time and money that goes down the drain.

Good luck.

tricepilot screwed with this post 01-19-2014 at 05:29 AM
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:29 AM   #4
dwstrong OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the advice and the insight. Of course now I am transfixed by the Motoventure blog.
Regards,
D Strong
Old 01-18-2014, 11:52 AM   #5
twisted-hog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
I have a Drift and am heading to Baja soon. I have a helmet mount and also a left side crash bar mount I will use and a ram mount on my handlebars which I can swap between the Garmin and Drift. I've installed a USB charger at my handle bar so I can run direct power to the camera when it is mounted on either bar, but not on the helmet. This way I can leave the camera on all day and just hit the remote button to take quick clips or even still pictures if I set it up that way with out worrying the battery is dead when I come apon a great stretch of dirt or road.
I can also just leave the camera in my tank bag to charge it or other items, phone, ipod etc.

The work is after the trip, I still have video from my 2012 Sturgis trip I have not completed. Windows Movie maker doesn't like the file extention the drift records in and I have been too cheap to go out and buy a better program yet. So I mostly just post short clips on you tube.
It is fun though to come home after a ride and look at what you did where you went.
Be warned it takes some time to find the right setup, camera location & mic location to avoid anoying wind noise or to be able to narrate.
twisted-hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:45 PM   #6
dwstrong OP
Adventurer

Twisted,
Thanks for the additional tips. I have a fairly long daily commute to experiment with set up, location etc, before the trip. I have used Windows Movie Maker in the past and am fairly familiar with it, although there are certainly better products out there if one is up for the expenditure of extra coin.
Regards,
D.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:52 PM   #7
millican
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
If you're comfortable with a command-line interface, ffmpeg is great.
The camera shouldn't use that much power at all. A solar charger would be good if you were sitting for days at a time, but what fun is that?
millican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:06 PM   #8
Capri142
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Short Clips

3000 miles is a lot to tape. I just do mine in short clips of interesting area, roads, people that I meet along the way. You want to be able to do the whole thing in about 30 minutes. I have a good friend who decided to do a video of his trip down the Natchez Trace a couple of years ago. Before he went, I told him it was a bad idea. I told him he should just take a few snapshots along the way. Nope he was gone make a video of the whole 400 miles and he did. It turned out to be one of the most boring videos I have ever watched. The NT is a beautifully maintained 2 lane road that goes through 3 states. Thing is, it is just about the same at the beginning as it is a the end and made for a very boring video. Hell, AAMOF, after a few miles, it becomes a very boring ride.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:06 AM   #9
dwstrong OP
Adventurer

I am certainly not planning filming every mile as it will be mostly freeway due to the limits on time. My concern with external storage and power is due to the limitations on the camera's internal battery life and storage. I may just carry a few extra batteries and micro SD cards for swapping out each stop.

Another question for the group. Which camera, Go-Pro or Drift, is easier to shift modes on while moving? I like to mix in motion sequences with slideshows on videos, but do not want to be focused on a remote while rolling in traffic.

Thanks for all of the great feedback. This is certainly helping me get the AV plan together.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:26 PM   #10
mundobravo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,117
I ride with the Go-Pro , a point and shoot still camera , a small video camera and my phone camera. Extra SD cards and a hard drive to back up the Video camera. Mix it all together and it looks like this . 36 days , 3,000+ miles , 34 mins
https://vimeo.com/42443080
http://www.vimeo.com/7780879
mundobravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:41 PM   #11
twisted-hog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwstrong View Post
Which camera, Go-Pro or Drift, is easier to shift modes on while moving?
I have a Drift and there is no way you would be able to switch between shooting modes while vehicle is in motion. You have to use the buttons on the camera to switch modes video/still/or a still every 10/20/30 seconds.

The remote for the Drift is only a record or stop button. Easy to use and the buttons are large with the camera giving an audible beep when you press a button.
twisted-hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:46 PM   #12
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,606
very interesting post. When I go on my next trip (longer than a day) I will be bringing my point and shoot, phone and DSLR, since I am a photo guy, that is what I will do, with short clips and in the style of the girls mention earlier, I will be putting some comments.

I will recomen doing chapters of no longer than 10 minutes, good editing will take you several hours to have just 10 min. of film (IMHExperience)

Enjoy your trip and have fun!

Damasovi
Old 01-23-2014, 02:44 AM   #13
dwstrong OP
Adventurer

Great video of the trip. I have that trip on my "to-do" list but with realities of modern life it will be several years before I can carve out the time.

The current project is a trip to the Gran Prix of the Americas in Austin TX a mere 1500 miles from home. I think that, with viewing yours and others' videos, a basic story board is in order based on where I will be passing each day. If budget allows, I may mount a camera on the bike as well as the helmet and alternate one for motion the other for time lapse stills.

Anyway thanks for sharing your trip videos.

Regards,
D. Strong
Old 01-23-2014, 02:51 AM   #14
FlyingPenguin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Due to shadowing and sun angle, a 6w solar panel is only going to average 2-3 watt power output, if you're lucky. Not enough to make a meaningful difference to your alternator.

Deadhorse- 2002, 2012
ALCAN 5000- 2004
COBDR- 2014
FlyingPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:04 AM   #15
Merlinzen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by mundobravo View Post
I ride with the Go-Pro , a point and shoot still camera , a small video camera and my phone camera. Extra SD cards and a hard drive to back up the Video camera. Mix it all together and it looks like this . 36 days , 3,000+ miles , 34 mins
https://vimeo.com/42443080
I tried to watch that, but after buffering for ages it plays a couple of seconds and then buffers again.

Vimeo sucks [at least here in Australia]
you haven't got it on youtube have you?

Merlinzen screwed with this post 01-25-2014 at 04:05 AM Reason: typo
Merlinzen is offline   Reply With Quote