User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2014, 02:32 AM   #1
ElJefeATX OP
OMGban!!!

Oddometer: 2,845
Exhaust heat damage to luggage?

Doing my first ride and camp trip this summer. Is exhaust heat damage an issue with dry bags, duffels, stuff sacks etc?

The bike is a Tiger 800 XC, stock can. I already melted a strand of an $8.00 cargo net.

So I'm thinking of rigging an insulated heat shield mounted to the pannier rack.
I'll have a dry duffel strapped to the pannier and a couple of dry bags strapped to the rear rack/pillion. I really don't want to melt anything.

Anybody had any issues with that?
ElJefeATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:30 AM   #2
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,928
I have solved this problem in the past by buying a thin sheet of Teflon and mounting it to the luggage where it is near the exhaust pipe.

I mounted it using small screws and nuts.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:28 AM   #3
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,950
On my R1200GSA sidecar rig I felt that even though I had yet to have any heat damage to anything in my pannier, I wanted to eliminate the possibility so I did 3 things:

1) Extenders/tips on the muffler to make sure all of the hot gasses are expelled beyond the pannier.

2) Fiberglass heat shield wrapped around the muffler for insulation.

3) Reflective gold foil on the pannier.

An air gap is THE best insulator against radiant heat, so reducing the amount of radiant heat from the muffler prior to the air gap between the pannier was important and then reflect any remaining heat with the gold foil.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:15 AM   #4
ElJefeATX OP
OMGban!!!

Oddometer: 2,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
I have solved this problem in the past by buying a thin sheet of Teflon and mounting it to the luggage where it is near the exhaust pipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
On my R1200GSA sidecar rig I felt that even though I had yet to have any heat damage to anything in my pannier, I wanted to eliminate the possibility so I did 3 things:

1) Extenders/tips on the muffler to make sure all of the hot gasses are expelled beyond the pannier.

An air gap is THE best insulator against radiant heat, so reducing the amount of radiant heat from the muffler prior to the air gap between the pannier was important and then reflect any remaining heat with the gold foil.
Good suggestions. Thanks.

My Trax boxes don't go over the exhaust so it's heat rising through that gap to my soft luggage (rubberized dry bags, stuff sacks and cordura type luggage to be specific) strapped above that I'm concerned with.

I'm thinking I might fab a heat shield of aluminum that bolts to the back side of the pannier racks and rolls over the exhaust can leaving an air gap on both sides, then glue/epoxy/attach some sort of insulated reflective material to the hot side.

I'll look into exhaust extensions if they're available for the stock Tiger exhaust.
ElJefeATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:30 AM   #5
TassieMark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Tyre size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post

1200GSA sidecar rig! Cool. What is the size of the rear tyre?
Thanks,
Mark
TassieMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:21 AM   #6
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJefeATX View Post
Good suggestions. Thanks.

My Trax boxes don't go over the exhaust so it's heat rising through that gap to my soft luggage (rubberized dry bags, stuff sacks and cordura type luggage to be specific) strapped above that I'm concerned with.

I'm thinking I might fab a heat shield of aluminum that bolts to the back side of the pannier racks and rolls over the exhaust can leaving an air gap on both sides, then glue/epoxy/attach some sort of insulated reflective material to the hot side.

I'll look into exhaust extensions if they're available for the stock Tiger exhaust.
Reflective foil is a bit expensive but is easily found via Google.

http://www.thermalprotectioninc.com/...ive_Films.html

Aluminum with the reflective film towards the heat source and an air gap on each side should work really well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TassieMark View Post
1200GSA sidecar rig! Cool. What is the size of the rear tyre?
Thanks,
Mark
The tire on the tug and the tub is 165 80 R15. Basically a stock VW bug tire. The wheel is an aftermarket aluminum VW wheel with a billet adapter.

Here is a pic of our rig before I did the current mods. I had placed some aluminum HVAC tape on the pannier mount, but it melted. It was up to Big Sur and when we stopped for the day I was shocked at how hot everything was in the left pannier.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:06 PM   #7
AllBlak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
What about aluminum tape?
It's pretty cheap and self adhesive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to slide across the finish line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, and shouting GERONIMO!!!"
AllBlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:14 PM   #8
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlak View Post
What about aluminum tape?
It's pretty cheap and self adhesive.
This is exactly what I had tried and the adhesive melted. The adhesive on the gold foil does not fail under the same temps.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:07 AM   #9
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,966
Keep it simple. Wood stove people have been doing this stuff for ever. A piece of metal between heat and bags. Airspace on each side.

You can use simple aluminum construction flashing . Bendable with fingers. Can cut by scoring with razor knife. Create creased edges by bending over the straight edge of a table and forming with fingers. Sorta like this. _l------------l_ immagine the dotted line is to the top. Does that make sense?
Hell for sharp, wear gloves.

Bend a couple ells on the edge and wrap around muffler. Anchor with hose clamps.

Moving air carries the heat away.

thetourist screwed with this post 09-18-2014 at 09:19 AM
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote