User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2014, 10:30 AM   #1
RideAfrika OP
n00b Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
*********** Bike Shipping Cost Thread ********

A question asked over and over again on ADV is the estimated cost of shipping a bike from point here to there. The purpose of this thread is to help gather some data from peoples past experiences.

So if you have shipped your bike ANYWHERE over 500 miles please post a reply including where from, where to, the shipping method, the cost and the shipper. You may also include how the bike was packaged/ crated and or prepped, your level of satisfaction and any contact information you might have. And we all know that a picture makes for a good post on ADV.

Put there from\to clearly at the top of your post and in your title.

Any shipping method is acceptable as long as someone else can repeat it. So if the truck drivers at a certain bar in Katmandu will transport a bike across the country for $300 it count. "My cousin Ricky used his pick up to get my bike from Fairbanks to Vancouver for a 24 pack of Pabst Blue Ribbon" doesn't count (unless that Ricky's going rate).

THIS IS NOT MEANT TO BE A DISCUSSION. SO PLEASE ONLY POST IF YOU SHIPPING INFO TO SHARE.

RideAfrika screwed with this post 01-18-2014 at 12:44 PM
RideAfrika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:10 PM   #2
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,327
These are a bit old, dunno how relevant today, but here goes... the bike was a Suzuki DL650 (and the bike should be mentioned, because it does not cost the same to send a 125, or a Goldwing).

Chennai, India > Bangkok, Thailand
– January 2008
– By air
– Total cost: 600 euro (almost all of it in India, cost peanuts in Bangkok)
– Packed on an open crate
– Agent: Shell Air
– Airline: Malaysia Airlines (bike was routed via Kuala Lumpur)

Bali, Indonesia > Perth, Australia
– March 2008
– By air
– Total cost: 1200 euro (narrow-body aircraft could not take the bike on a direct flight, so the bike took a big detour: Bali to Melbourne to Perth, this took its flight time from 3 to +10 hours, and more than doubled the cost - but we wanted to go Perth!)
– Closed crate
– Agent: CAS Cargo Bali
– Airline: Quantas

Sydney, Australia > Helsinki, Finland
– April 2008
– By sea (LCL seafreight)
– Total cost: 700 euro (520 euro in Australia (very cheap!!) and 180 euro in Helsinki (just to pick it up at the port - expensive!)
– Closed crate
– Agent: Tradelanes Global Solutions (in Melbourne)
This was literally half-way across the Globe, about 9500 miles as the crow flies and (IMO) quite cheap at 700 euro (quotes by air were 2000-3000 euro). But this was also estimated to take 42 days, and in reality, it took 61 days, as the container that the bike was in, had missed a change of vessel somewhere along the way.

Except for the 3-week delay with the seafreight, all shippings went pretty much according to the plan, nothing was broken on the bike, or stolen from the crate. Keep in mind you have to take a transport insurance for your vehicle yourself (something to check, but your vehicle΄s normal insurance, that you have back home, may not cover possible total loss, or damage that occurred during an overseas freighting).
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:09 PM   #3
duncanmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Melbourne (Sydney) Australia to Portland Oregon May 2013

Not the happiest experience from the project management point of view, but the bike (2012 BMW R1200 GS Adventure) arrived undamaged.

The crowd that organised the trip was Get Routed, run by Dave Milligan. A nice guy, but read on.

The shipment was originally from Melbourne June 6 2013, although Dave will say that was heavily caveated. We received an email telling us to get our bikes to SYDNEY by May 15. That meant the expense of riding the bike to Sydney and flying home to Melbourne. (and two weeks storage in Portland.)

Dave also then announced that he was abandoning his shipment from Portland to Australia in October 2013 and if we were to ship home with him we had to have our bikes in Portland by September 16. I was going to be in New Mexico on that date, so, tough for me.

I needed to get the bike to Portland to start my trip (flights paid for and other arrangements made), so I stuck with him for that but instead of charging me half the round trip he charged me a premium, so I paid him A$1,885 to ship from Sydney. Plus the cost of riding to Sydney and flying back to Melbourne.

Byrnes Global were the Clearing agent in Portland and did a fine job. They seem very organised. The bikes were shipped to Pacific NW in Portland and they were quite ok as well.

I had to make my own arrangements to get the bike back from the USA and I will post separately on that later.

If anyone is interested in my trip, they can visit my ride report
Bucket List Item - USA on a GSA - Summer 2013 or www.macofmelbourne.com

duncanmac screwed with this post 01-19-2014 at 06:55 PM Reason: Added type of bike
duncanmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:32 AM   #4
duncanmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Portland Oregon via Los Angeles to Melbourne, Australia

Having been let down by Melbourne-based Get Routed in relation to shipping my bike home from Portland, I was compelled to make my own arrangements.

A search of the internet quickly threw up a crowd called www.shipmybike.com, one of the several trading names of www.berklay.com. Unlike some other firms I contacted, these folk were not phased that the bike was in Portland, they would arranged to have it trucked to their facility (read agent) in LA. The quote was US$700 for the leg to LA and US$800 for the ship to Melbourne.

Done! And then.......

I had dropped my bike at BMW Motorcycles of Western Oregon in Tigard (great people, highly recommended) for a service and new tyre and the bike was to be collected from there in a week. Well, it took three; and on one occasion Berklay (Greg) told me the bike had been collected and when I called BMW they told me it was still in the workshop!

After many emails and a telephone call, I was eventually told that the bike was in LA. Ok, now for a ship.

'When will it get on a ship? Which ship? When does it leave, when does it arrive?" etc

Just no information forthcoming from Greg and I was beginning to think my bike was gone. So I called his brother, Dennis. He is a much better communicator and he smoothed me down a bit, promising to get Greg to contact me. That did happen and eventually I got a shipping date: December 15, and ETA Melbourne January 4. BUT, he wouldn't commit to the date: he was waiting for more bikes to fill the container! If only he had made this clear at the outset, I would have crated the bike and put it on the first available ship.

Anyhow, it was loaded and did arrive in Melbourne on time. The only damage was a slight dent and associated scuff mark on the right hand pannier (saddle bag, for the Americans :-)

I also had to pay for marine insurance ~A$550 Balderston Brokers in Hawthorn, Melbourne; and ~A$ 830 to Freightnet International Victoria for the customs service in Melbourne. All good service although being a single bike and walk-up customer I paid more than necessary, I know.

So not the best experience from Berklay, made worse by their unwillingness to communicate, but the bike was not damged in transit. The Australian side was good, though a little pricey.

I have learned a lot and if I ever ship my bike again I will do a lot better.