ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 07:29 PM   #16
GastonUSAChile
Studly Adventurer
 
GastonUSAChile's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Miami,USA
Oddometer: 771
Mark,

He is paying 2900 for the container, which from Ushuaia is considered cheap. If they have 2-3 bikes, divide between 2 equal $1,450 or $980 each for 3 bikes. By all means it is good.
Try flying a bike from Ushuaia and you'll see . You cannot fly a bike form Ushuaia anyway.

If the broker charge $500 as local cost, it is ok.

L.A. cost could be around $700 to clear and unload that container. Divide that by 3 and figure out. Not bad.
__________________
SAmericaXplorer
Export/Import Adventure Logistics
Motorbikes & Overland Vehicles

US SHIPPING Now open: JUNE-JULY 2014 Share Container CHILE to MIAMI or HOUSTON
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741582 www.samericaxplorer.net
GastonUSAChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:03 PM   #17
markharf
Studly Adventurer
 
markharf's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Bellingham, Washington
Oddometer: 554
As I said, " It's cheaper to fly the bikes from B.A." I said nothing about air freight from Ushuaia

Two bikes in a $2900 container plus $500 per bike for the agent plus $700 in L.A. is $2300 per bike. Less if more bikes, which is the point to posting the thread in the first place. For one or two bikes, I'll repeat: it's cheaper to ship by air from B.A.

Faster and more predictable, too.

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:11 AM   #18
GastonUSAChile
Studly Adventurer
 
GastonUSAChile's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Miami,USA
Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by markharf View Post
As I said, " It's cheaper to fly the bikes from B.A." I said nothing about air freight from Ushuaia

Two bikes in a $2900 container plus $500 per bike for the agent plus $700 in L.A. is $2300 per bike. Less if more bikes, which is the point to posting the thread in the first place. For one or two bikes, I'll repeat: it's cheaper to ship by air from B.A.

Faster and more predictable, too.

Mark
In first place the Thread is from Carl from Ushuaia and you are doing comments to Carl dreaming in B.A. .
Your math is fine. $2,900 +$700 = $3,600 /2= $1,800+$500 = $2,300 total unloaded in LAX. Considering from Ushuaia good cost. Add 1 more bike and much better.

Carl is shipping from Ushuaia , not from BA. Look in the map and there is a huge distance between both cities. Add a ground transport from Ushuaia to B.A. and probably they are going to charge you $1,000 or more , giving the gas prices today . So, you keep saying that from B.A. is cheap, well it could be but you must add the ground transporting cost then.

I think you didn't say nothing after all, just trying to regulate the thread only. Most probably you flew your bike a long time ago and got a quote. Fine, but that was you quote and that specific moment and market price. I don't know about today with gas going up. Anyway I rather fly a bike from Santiago than Buenos Aires today. Argentina is doing really bad lately, controlling money etc .etc.., frankly messy.
__________________
SAmericaXplorer
Export/Import Adventure Logistics
Motorbikes & Overland Vehicles

US SHIPPING Now open: JUNE-JULY 2014 Share Container CHILE to MIAMI or HOUSTON
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741582 www.samericaxplorer.net

GastonUSAChile screwed with this post 04-01-2012 at 08:20 AM
GastonUSAChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:37 AM   #19
bananaman
transcontimental
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Madison, Wisconsin and/or Panama, Panama
Oddometer: 6,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by GastonUSAChile View Post
In first place the Thread is from Carl from Ushuaia and you are doing comments to Carl dreaming in B.A. .
Your math is fine. $2,900 +$700 = $3,600 /2= $1,800+$500 = $2,300 total unloaded in LAX. Considering from Ushuaia good cost. Add 1 more bike and much better.

Carl is shipping from Ushuaia , not from BA. Look in the map and there is a huge distance between both cities. Add a ground transport from Ushuaia to B.A. and probably they are going to charge you $1,000 or more , giving the gas prices today . So, you keep saying that from B.A. is cheap, well it could be but you must add the ground transporting cost then.

You should be rational on this thread or create a new one with all your B.Aires theory and menu then .
I'm pretty sure Mark doesn't have to look at a map to know where Ushuaia is; he's actually ridden a motorcycle from the US to Ushuaia. It might look far on a map, but it's a pretty easy ride. Given gas prices today, maybe from Ushuaia to Buenos Aires it could cost about $180 per bike. Hotels are good and inexpensive, and the food is amazing. Two hotel nights, at $35 each; $70; if they need three nights, hotel would still only be $105.

I don't have an exact $ for flying from BA to California, but I do know that Sandra at Dakar Motos has been able to get it done for less than $1,500, sometimes closer to $1,000, depending on how much the bike weighs and how it can be broken down. Since the airlines charge based on volumetric weight, they could have some real savings if they can get both bikes onto one pallet. What kind of bike is the OP riding? I'm sure you could have put two KLRs on the pallet that I used for my BMW, and it would have been the same price.

So, on the high side, riding from Ushuaia to BA could cost a total of $180x2+$105=$465. Air freight at $1,500x2=$3,000; high side total $465+$3,000=$3,465, or $1,732.50 per bike. On the low side, given air freight costs of $1,100x2=$2,200, plus riding cost of $430; $2,200+$430= $2,630, or $1,315 per bike.

Edit: it looks like they're on KLRs. Flying them back to the US wouldn't cost much at all. Of course it doesn't matter, since the OP is already back in the US, and they've already made the decision to hire the container.
__________________
Baja 1000 Countdown: 24 days.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:27 AM   #20
bananaman
transcontimental
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Madison, Wisconsin and/or Panama, Panama
Oddometer: 6,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by GastonUSAChile View Post
In first place the Thread is from Carl from Ushuaia and you are doing comments to Carl dreaming in B.A. .
Your math is fine. $2,900 +$700 = $3,600 /2= $1,800+$500 = $2,300 total unloaded in LAX. Considering from Ushuaia good cost. Add 1 more bike and much better.

Carl is shipping from Ushuaia , not from BA. Look in the map and there is a huge distance between both cities. Add a ground transport from Ushuaia to B.A. and probably they are going to charge you $1,000 or more , giving the gas prices today . So, you keep saying that from B.A. is cheap, well it could be but you must add the ground transporting cost then.

I think you didn't say nothing after all, just trying to regulate the thread only. Most probably you flew your bike a long time ago and got a quote. Fine, but that was you quote and that specific moment and market price. I don't know about today with gas going up. Anyway I rather fly a bike from Santiago than Buenos Aires today. Argentina is doing really bad lately, controlling money etc .etc.., frankly messy.
Quoted for posterity and because Gaston likes to post something, then change it and say he never said it.
__________________
Baja 1000 Countdown: 24 days.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:41 AM   #21
markharf
Studly Adventurer
 
markharf's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Bellingham, Washington
Oddometer: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
I'm pretty sure Mark doesn't have to look at a map to know where Ushuaia is; he's actually ridden a motorcycle from the US to Ushuaia.
Rode it back, too.

I was merely expressing my surprise at how much the OP was planning to spend on shipping. I did not mean to get in the way of what might represent a good deal to anyone who might want to join their container. To the OP, I apologize.

To Gaston, I suggest as politely as possible that you think about the unalterable fact that you do not make the rules around here.

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #22
GastonUSAChile
Studly Adventurer
 
GastonUSAChile's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Miami,USA
Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
I'm pretty sure Mark doesn't have to look at a map to know where Ushuaia is; he's actually ridden a motorcycle from the US to Ushuaia. It might look far on a map, but it's a pretty easy ride. Given gas prices today, maybe from Ushuaia to Buenos Aires it could cost about $180 per bike. Hotels are good and inexpensive, and the food is amazing. Two hotel nights, at $35 each; $70; if they need three nights, hotel would still only be $105.

I don't have an exact $ for flying from BA to California, but I do know that Sandra at Dakar Motos has been able to get it done for less than $1,500, sometimes closer to $1,000, depending on how much the bike weighs and how it can be broken down. Since the airlines charge based on volumetric weight, they could have some real savings if they can get both bikes onto one pallet. What kind of bike is the OP riding? I'm sure you could have put two KLRs on the pallet that I used for my BMW, and it would have been the same price.

So, on the high side, riding from Ushuaia to BA could cost a total of $180x2+$105=$465. Air freight at $1,500x2=$3,000; high side total $465+$3,000=$3,465, or $1,732.50 per bike. On the low side, given air freight costs of $1,100x2=$2,200, plus riding cost of $430; $2,200+$430= $2,630, or $1,315 per bike.

Edit: it looks like they're on KLRs. Flying them back to the US wouldn't cost much at all. Of course it doesn't matter, since the OP is already back in the US, and they've already made the decision to hire the container.

Ok, you have you'r whole menu there. Hopefully air shipping is accurate as you giving the figures. Good luck with that. I don't have any idea when these bike were flown (month). I was sharing emials with Sohoho Friday for over 2 hours, because he was completely confuse with some procedures on LAN cargo. The cost for him from USHUAIA , flying was definetly your cost as you said above. I am not going into details, because you always have the rules and bibles.
So far, I am not going any further with Bananaman again on any kind of ideas or service. I don't deal with sociopaths kind of mind. Sorry. I have my own business.
Whoever wan't to ship from Ushuaia or BsAs to the US for $1,315 good luck, you are not going to find it anywhere. Air shipping net cost to an agent is around $1,4XX to Chile and $1,5XX to Argentina from the US , that is for an agent with an account with the airline, So go figure.

I don't make business with Argentina after all. The country is getting to tough on regulations and money control. Economically speaking is looking like Venezuela type of money move.You cannot do not even a Western Union transaction on that country anymore. Things are getting dark there.

Good luck guys!
__________________
SAmericaXplorer
Export/Import Adventure Logistics
Motorbikes & Overland Vehicles

US SHIPPING Now open: JUNE-JULY 2014 Share Container CHILE to MIAMI or HOUSTON
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741582 www.samericaxplorer.net
GastonUSAChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #23
bananaman
transcontimental
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Madison, Wisconsin and/or Panama, Panama
Oddometer: 6,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by GastonUSAChile View Post
Ok, you have you'r whole menu there. Hopefully air shipping is accurate as you giving the figures. Good luck with that. I don't have any idea when these bike were flown (month). I was sharing emials with Sohoho Friday for over 2 hours, because he was completely confuse with some procedures on LAN cargo. The cost for him from USHUAIA , flying was definetly your cost as you said above. I am not going into details, because you always have the rules and bibles.
So far, I am not going any further with Bananaman again on any kind of ideas or service. I don't deal with sociopaths kind of mind. Sorry. I have my own business.
Whoever wan't to ship from Ushuaia or BsAs to the US for $1,315 good luck, you are not going to find it anywhere. Air shipping net cost to an agent is around $1,4XX to Chile and $1,5XX to Argentina from the US , that is for an agent with an account with the airline, So go figure.

I don't make business with Argentina after all. The country is getting to tough on regulations and money control. Economically speaking is looking like Venezuela type of money move.You cannot do not even a Western Union transaction on that country anymore. Things are getting dark there.

Good luck guys!
Quoted for posterity.

Mark and I both said BA/US shipping can be around $1500. KLRs are cheaper. Closer to $1,000. Those are current (2012) rates. The fees Mark and I refer to are total, including every nickel of charges/commissions/taxes, etc.

Of course an "agent" can then add whatever "fees" or "commissions" that they want. Like Gaston said, $500 isn't unusual. I don't know how much Sandra at Dakar Motos charges, but it can't be very much.

If you do it yourself, you never, ever have to hand over your title or sign a power of attorney. You keep your title and registration. The paperwork once in the destination country you might have to show it. If you're shipping to your home country, you won't have to pay import duties when the bike is already registered there.
__________________
Baja 1000 Countdown: 24 days.

bananaman screwed with this post 04-01-2012 at 11:56 AM
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #24
markharf
Studly Adventurer
 
markharf's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Bellingham, Washington
Oddometer: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
I don't know how much Sandra at Dakar Motos charges, but it can't be very much.
Last I talked with Sandra she was giving plentiful free advice, or charging a flat US$200 for going to and from the airport, making calls and in general ensuring that things happened properly. Either way seemed like a good deal to me.....but nowhere near as much fun as riding the whole way back home.
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #25
snohobo
Supermoto hippy
 
snohobo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: somewhere in south america
Oddometer: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
Quoted for posterity.


If you do it yourself, you never, ever have to hand over your title or sign a power of attorney. You keep your title and registration. The paperwork once in the destination country you might have to show it. If you're shipping to your home country, you won't have to pay import duties when the bike is already registered there.
Which is exactly what Gaston said I "had" to do. Courier my title and a POA to Santiago to have someone arrange the shipping from there.

Im shipping directly from Punta Arenas, bike in crate, and I found an exporter who can do all the paperwork, for $100, and I get to keep all my original paperwork, sans POA.

Im kind of a guinea pig here as no one has ever sent a bike from PA to LAX before via air through LAN Cargo, but I expect it to go well.

Ill let you all know what the final outcome is, but lets say that LAN is charging me less than what Gaston has quoted for air from BA or Santiago to the USA.
__________________
Ride Reports:

Supermoto Around Death Valley - In Progress

Supermoto Around South America - Terminado
snohobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:19 PM   #26
bananaman
transcontimental
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Madison, Wisconsin and/or Panama, Panama
Oddometer: 6,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by snohobo View Post
Which is exactly what Gaston said I "had" to do. Courier my title and a POA to Santiago to have someone arrange the shipping from there.

Im shipping directly from Punta Arenas, bike in crate, and I found an exporter who can do all the paperwork, for $100, and I get to keep all my original paperwork, sans POA.

Im kind of a guinea pig here as no one has ever sent a bike from PA to LAX before via air through LAN Cargo, but I expect it to go well.

Ill let you all know what the final outcome is, but lets say that LAN is charging me less than what Gaston has quoted for air from BA or Santiago to the USA.
Good luck! I hope it works out for you!

I know I'm keen on these threads, and it's because before I left on my ride to Ushuaia, I had done some research, and found that shipping a bike home from BA would cost about $750.

I was completely exhausted on the night I arrived in Ushuaia. It had been snowing, and it continued to snow. I did not think I could possibly ride back north, over those mountains, and all the way back to BA or Santiago.

I had started my own shipping thread, "Share a Container from Ushuaia to US?" here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332525.

Wow did I ever get some great advice! Via PM and in the thread, via email directly- you guys were really amazing. Best of all were Aussie Gringo, and Dakar Motos. The BMW dealership in BA was also very helpful, and my dealership in Wisconsin, Mischlers BMW, was amazing.

I also got some very, very bad advice, that I hadn't mentioned because it's not worth mentioning, so I won't.

I also heard some terrible horror stories, of bikes being lost- one story involved a bike being lost at sea for over a year. That was a guy shipping home to England.

In the end, I found out that the $750 price was possible, but I didn't have even close to enough time to make it happen. If I had wanted to dismantle my bike a little more, I could have saved a couple of hundred dollars, but I just didn't feel like it. I could have waited about a week, and had Sandra at Dakar Motos take care of the shipping, but I had personal reasons for hurrying home.

I also heard a few bad stories about signing over bike titles and giving power-of-attorney to a shipping agent.

The coolest biker-friendly place I've ever been to is Dakar Motos, in Buenos Aires. Not only because Sandra and Javier are cool, but because of the other riders. The riders all know all about shipping. It'd almost be worth a flight down to BA just to hang out at Dakar Motos, BEFORE doing anything else- before riding out of your driveway. Too bad we don't have a Dakar Motos in the US.

The closest thing you'll get to the brain power at Dakar Motos would be a Rider Rallye. Either an informal one, like our own LARR, or a big formal overland traveler meeting, like the ones hosted by Horizons Unlimited.

I'm NOT saying that Gaston is a bad guy. I'm NOT saying that he's not trustworthy. I am saying that he isn't the only vendor on advrider, and he's not the only route to and from South America. I am saying that he's a vendor, not a regular rider.

Although my own ride was over back in, what... 2008? from what I've heard and read, shipping costs haven't changed dramatically. They fluctuate. Sometimes, maybe you can fly a BMW for close to $1000; other times, $2000.

I have relatives in Argentina, and I haven't heard anything about Argentina going dark or getting difficult with money or turning into a big Venezuela. I don't think it's true. I think Gaston's comments about Argentina are mostly just to drum up more business for his Chilean cargo company.

The contact details I used for All Cargo out of BA are in the thread I started about sharing a container.

Dakar Motos can be found at www.dakarmotos.com
__________________
Baja 1000 Countdown: 24 days.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #27
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Okie near Muskogee
Oddometer: 3,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post

In the end, I found out that the $750 price was possible, but I didn't have even close to enough time to make it happen. If I had wanted to dismantle my bike a little more, I could have saved a couple of hundred dollars, but I just didn't feel like it.
For prosperity as you say. I'd like to see an entire bike "dismantled" "a little" get air shipped from BA to Chicago for "a couple of hundred" saved over $750. Sounds like a pipe dream to me

John in Colombia once more barely even thinking about shipping yet
__________________
www.throttlemeister.net
Throttlemeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #28
Carl Stark OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Sheridan WY
Oddometer: 63
Shipping from BA

Quote:
Originally Posted by markharf View Post
Whoa.... You're paying US$4000 for two bikes plus whatever port charges in LA? I'm impressed. It's cheaper to fly the bikes from B.A.

Hope you find a few more bikes to fill out the shipment.

Mark
What is the cost to ship from BA to LA by air? Which airline do you use? Did you use a shipping agent or do it your self?
Carl Stark
Carl Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:18 PM   #29
markharf
Studly Adventurer
 
markharf's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Bellingham, Washington
Oddometer: 554
Carl, I did not ship my bike: I rode it home. However, I watched a steady stream of other people ship from Buenos Aires while I stayed off and on for a couple of weeks at Dakar Motos (waiting for Brazilian visa, mostly). I do not remember more details, but you can Google Dakar Motos and call--ask for Sandra. She speaks English and can be trusted to tell you the current truth. Don't bother emailing.

Hope that's helpful. If you do any portion, post whatever you learn on this thread.

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014