User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
NJ-Brett OP
Brett

Oddometer: 6,370
1971 Honda sl125!

I have been looking for something light to ride in the dirt, not motocross, not expensive, not water cooled.
The dirt is about 5 miles from my house and is mostly flat, sandy in spots and its huge and unrestricted as longas the bike is legal.
I have done the dr650 thing, did not end up very well, with a helicopter ride and a long hospital stay.
I also did the vintage British twin thing (1969 Daytona) which did VERY good in the dirt.

But after 5 years and 45,000 miles on it, I got tired of the vibration breaking things, plus I painted it and made it look real nice and did not want to get it dirty any more, so I sold it.

In searching for a cool bike to play in the dirt with, I searched for old XL 250's (had one when I was 18), sl350's, they look so cool and seem like a great all around bike, then ran across an sl125.
In searching for some info, I found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaLF6bQ5Lq0

Love the sound, and that looks like a lot of fun.

The picture of the sl125 looks like the bike is new, its supposed to have under 4000 miles on it.

I hope I get it, or something like it.
I also found that Honda made an sl175 twin!

So does anyone know where the SL crowd hangs out?
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,731
There is one thread here that seems to have a lot of other stuff mixed in, in spite of the XL250 title.... worth looking there for names. The Honda XL (and other vintage singles...)

try 4strokes.com

xl175.com

Google is your friend!!!!!!

Man, I love the looks of those SL's.... btw, the XL175 was a thumper, considered to be under-powered, the CB and CL175's are twins, that engine is considered a classic and bulletproof.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
wmax351
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post
There is one thread here that seems to have a lot of other stuff mixed in, in spite of the XL250 title.... worth looking there for names. The Honda XL (and other vintage singles...)

try 4strokes.com

xl175.com

Google is your friend!!!!!!

Man, I love the looks of those SL's.... btw, the XL175 was a thumper, considered to be under-powered, the CB and CL175's are twins, that engine is considered a classic and bulletproof.
The engines are pretty good, but not completely bulletproof. The CB175s can burn valves ever 30k or so.

I had a CB175 as my first bike. A lot of fun.
wmax351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:19 AM   #4
NJ-Brett OP
Brett

Thanks for the info!
Well, the 175 has to have more power then the 125, no?
Same frame?

I know you can change the 125 to a 150 by swapping parts with something else, or else it was a kit....

I sure wish they made bikes like this now.
The TU250 (which I have) is close, but while a great street bike, is no good at all in the dirt.
The front forks are beyond bad, even after mods, the 18 inch front wheel adds to the problem, the foot pegs bend on little jumps, the shifter and brake pedal will go on the first dump.

And I think all the smaller dual sports are no longer made, dr200, crf230L, xt225, all gone I think.
Watching the sl125 video, the bike looks like it has enough power and suspension to have some fun in the dirt on, at low enough speeds that old farts wont get hurt at...
Old 03-27-2012, 08:22 AM   #5
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,392
I have an SL125 that I bought as a roller for $50. For a powerplant I fitted an '82 XL125 6 speed motor. It took 5 minutes with a grinder to get the crankcases to fit in the older frame. Then I had to make a head steady as the head was different.
It's a fun little bike on the farm . the big problem is that the suspension is clapped out. It bounces all over.
A friend who always is up for a race brought his Mom's bike over to race the SL. He was going on about how the 2 stroke power of the Yamaha DT 100 was going to destroy the Honda. So we lined em up and had at it. The bikes were pretty even through the gears and then I shifted the Honda to sixth and the Yamaha was left for dead. Several others were there to see the Yamaha's defeat.
And no we're not in junior high , we're in our 50's.
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #6
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
I have an SL125 that I bought as a roller for $50. For a powerplant I fitted an '82 XL125 6 speed motor. It took 5 minutes with a grinder to get the crankcases to fit in the older frame. Then I had to make a head steady as the head was different.
It's a fun little bike on the farm . the big problem is that the suspension is clapped out. It bounces all over.
A friend who always is up for a race brought his Mom's bike over to race the SL. He was going on about how the 2 stroke power of the Yamaha DT 100 was going to destroy the Honda. So we lined em up and had at it. The bikes were pretty even through the gears and then I shifted the Honda to sixth and the Yamaha was left for dead. Several others were there to see the Yamaha's defeat.
And no we're not in junior high , we're in our 50's.

...you're only young once, but you can ALWAYS be a kid (...or immature, as some would put it..... )

Good on ya!
Old 03-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #7
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,570
Quote:
the big problem is that the suspension is clapped out. It bounces all over.
I think they were like that new! Rode a '76 XL175 back when and it was bouncy... my '78 DT125 Yammy (first monoshock year) was much better for suspension.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #8
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

I just happen to have a '78 DT 125 mono with a crap motor and another N.O.S. XL125 motor........
Old 03-28-2012, 07:32 AM   #9
NJ-Brett OP
Brett

The bike I was looking at (the only one for sale in the world) was sold to another person, even though I offered $400.00 more then he was asking!

That makes about 10 bikes I have called about and were sold.
People on craigs list are asking prices way to low if they sell things in an hour or less....
Old 03-28-2012, 07:57 AM   #10
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I just happen to have a '78 DT 125 mono with a crap motor and another N.O.S. XL125 motor........
Hmmm, he says, looking at the pile of spare parts....

(ps - NOS XL125 engine? )
Old 03-28-2012, 09:04 AM   #11
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNoob View Post
Hmmm, he says, looking at the pile of spare parts....

(ps - NOS XL125 engine? )

N.O.S. = New Old Stock.I bought 2 of these from a guy in Colorado who advertised them in the back of Vintage Veiws, the AHRMA monthly. They were born in 1982, the one that's sitting on the shelf has never been installed in a frame.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #12
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
N.O.S. = New Old Stock.I bought 2 of these from a guy in Colorado who advertised them in the back of Vintage Veiws, the AHRMA monthly. They were born in 1982, the one that's sitting on the shelf has never been installed in a frame.

Oh yeah, I know what NOS is... I was just expressing amazement that you actually had a whole NOS engine (never mind 2!!!)
Old 03-28-2012, 07:33 PM   #13
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Thanks for the info!
Well, the 175 has to have more power then the 125, no?
Same frame?

I know you can change the 125 to a 150 by swapping parts with something else, or else it was a kit....

I sure wish they made bikes like this now.
The TU250 (which I have) is close, but while a great street bike, is no good at all in the dirt.
The front forks are beyond bad, even after mods, the 18 inch front wheel adds to the problem, the foot pegs bend on little jumps, the shifter and brake pedal will go on the first dump.

And I think all the smaller dual sports are no longer made, dr200, crf230L, xt225, all gone I think.
Watching the sl125 video, the bike looks like it has enough power and suspension to have some fun in the dirt on, at low enough speeds that old farts wont get hurt at...
I used to road race a CB175. It has way more power than a CB or XL 125 single. My 175 would do a bit better than 90 mph. It was lightened up a bit and had a Hooker 2 into 1 exhaust, some jetting and intake work. I think that if you fitted an EFI it would make as much as or maybe a bit more power than a stock TU250. Given the early 70's Japanese suspension tech, any of the old Honda street-based bikes (CL, SL, XL) were a nightmare in the dirt, especially the soft stuff.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #14
NJ-Brett OP
Brett

Well, I guess the dirt ability depends on your expectations.
I grew up on those kinds of bikes in the dirt, was riding the old Triumph in the dirt, and had fun.
As long as the weight is around or under 300 pounds and it has some suspension, you can have fun with it.

Back in the 80's I worked with a guy who bought a cb350 and we rode it in the dirt.
I had an xt250 I think, and when friends came over we would take the bikes out.
The cb350 power was nice, and even with the crappy suspension.

I cant seem to come up with anything, been looking for 2 months and nothing very close has not been sold by the time I call.
Lots of bikes with no title, wrecks, no call back, or its already sold.
And its a wide range I am interested in, old sl, xl, crf230, xt225, super sherpa, tw200.

I am kind of leaning to the sl125 or the sl175 twin, or a late model sl350. The sl350 is getting heavy at 320 pounds....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post
I used to road race a CB175. It has way more power than a CB or XL 125 single. My 175 would do a bit better than 90 mph. It was lightened up a bit and had a Hooker 2 into 1 exhaust, some jetting and intake work. I think that if you fitted an EFI it would make as much as or maybe a bit more power than a stock TU250. Given the early 70's Japanese suspension tech, any of the old Honda street-based bikes (CL, SL, XL) were a nightmare in the dirt, especially the soft stuff.