User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2015, 03:48 PM   #1
justlookin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Are we seeing a decline in Dual Sport

Sitting here in Ohio watching the thermometer plummet - thought I would try to branch out more this year and take in more Dual Sports. Last year I went to Renfro Valley Ky - great ride - lots of good offroad. I ride most of the events here in Ohio - some are really good and others not so much. Why no events in places like WV - I know there is some great riding down there. Must be something holding back these events - many are listed as TBA - even the 6 Days of MI, that I rode back in the 80's before I had a job and family. What do you all think - less riders or less interest?
justlookin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:21 AM   #2
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 4,188
More people out riding on their own.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:59 PM   #3
ArkieRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
I certainly don't believe thats the case here in Arkansas. With more and more offroad areas being shut down, having a dual sport so you can legally run down the highway or forest roads to connect up trails is a must. Dual Sport rides and events in Arkansas seem to be growing in popularity... but certainly could be a regional thing.
ArkieRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:27 PM   #4
California
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,003
No!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference
California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:08 AM   #5
Deckyon
The Raven

Oddometer: 142
I dont think so, I think it comes down to more people riding solo. I see a lot of RR of solo riders and that's great. Personally, I will do most of my riding solo and that is ok.

When it comes to events, there are a TON of poker runs (at least in the Louisville, Lexington areas) but those are generally not dual sport. I also dont see a lot of DS bikes out in this area either. It is typically HD and CrotchRockets running around when the weather is perfect...

I would like to see more meets and gatherings. Thing is, it takes someone or a group of someone's to put those together. I'd love to see more, however I don't personally have the time or inclination to do all the planning. I think that is the decline - no one wants to plan/organize.

I am saying this as I have been searching and searching for events and such to do this year.

I would also check Horizons Unlimited - they have gatherings all over the place throughout the year. One coming up very soon.
Deckyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:41 AM   #6
forrestrider
Dont Do Stupid Shit..

Oddometer: 1,776
I my self have gotten out of the group DS rides, a friend put together a great ride 50/50 ride to some good places with as much dirt as possible, post that it will be on dirt, sand and Alabama red clay roads mostly and will be all day and around 200 miles, and the date and time, so be ( Here ) at this ( Date ) and (Time ), cause he is on call a lot of weekends. So what dose every body start posting --
- I Cant Make It That Day, Can You Change It To Another Day?
- Can you change the time and leave later?
- Can you make the rout shorter?
- Can we go to here, here or here?
- Can we do Hard top only?
So the day arrives, of course there is people late, can we eat first, ect, ect.
people show up on almost every thing, D/S, street bikes, an H-D with side car blasting his (Wild Thing) music on the bikes speakers, a moped, and a goldwing, which I will admit jeff can ride any bike like a dirt bike and by the end of the day I had started calling the Goldwing the Dirtwing. so he holds a pre-ride talk and of course the (Can you/We's) start, or I thought this was all road ride, I only have street tires on the bike, ect, ect. Bitch, Bitch, Bitch.
then on the ride you cant keep the count because of people leaving and not telling any one.

The first time my friend did this ride all this BS happened, we started with around 25 riders may be a few more in the group by the end of the day after 5 crashes, 2 ambulance rides, the 3 others went to the hospital when they got home and ended up staying there for a few days. ( street tires on slick clay roads) people cutting out on there own ect,ect. Only 4 of us finished the full ride to the finale end.

To many people wont to make it a race,
I wont ride with more then 3 or 4 now.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:11 AM   #7
Deckyon
The Raven

Oddometer: 142
Yep, seems most people want to do things on their own time or with no sense of urgency. Which is fine, if you are on your own, but not when others are waiting.

I have tried planning a couple things and of the numerous people who say they will absolutely be there, only 1 in 10 actually show up. And then, there is the whole "need coffee and breakfast" and we need to wait on so and so, but they are in church/meeting/an hour behind...

Guys, time was set for kickstands up to ride. I got my coffee and breakfast out of the way. If you cant be at the meet on time (give/take 15 mins or so) then call and find out where we are and where we will be heading.

Most of my trips will be solo. Signed up for a couple large meets (Ricks 14th and an HU meet in October) and I know they will be fun.
Deckyon is offline   Reply With Quote