User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2014, 11:43 AM   #1
Knucklehead OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
isle of Man 2015 from the US!?!

I plan on making the trip but have found scheduling frustrating!

My plan is to make it there for race week either with my 2 boys, which will be 11 and 9. Or going with a couple friends and partying like rock stars!

I plan to stay in a hotel in Douglas, recommendations?

No bike I will be a foot passenger on the ferry. Getting around the island?

My question is who is going?

From what part of the country are you flying out of? Atlanta? Where are you flying too? Dublin? Liverpool? Whats the cheapest route, need plenty of beer money! Hell maybe we could travel together, from Atlanta to the island.

Have you booked? Help me with the process, I will dance at your next wedding!

If you have been what did you book first?
Seems you have to book the ferry first then hotel and then airfare and hopefully it all falls into place...Sound right?

What does the trip usually cost per person? Might be a deciding factor on my sons going or not!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Knucklehead
Old 07-14-2014, 07:21 AM   #2
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,302
Hey Knucklhead,

I got your PM, but figured I would respond over here in the hopes I could help others with the same questions.

I know what you mean there being a lot of pieces to that puzzle.

Probably the most critical piece is transportation from the UK to the Isle itself. Are you planning to take a bike over? If so, it is quite possibly too late to get ferry tickets. Passenger plus bike tickets generally sell out the day they go on sale, which was during the 2014 TT. Passenger only ferry tickets may still be available, but you should get on it quick. If you have trouble, try sailing from different locations, such as Belfast, Ireland.

We are flying from California and expect to pay around $1500 to $1800 per person.

Lodging is a bit more flexible. If you're a rugged dude travelling solo, camping is the cheapest eay to go, and I hear the campground pub gets pretty rowdy. Some places even have camping gear you can use that people abandoned rather than take home. Home Stay is the next cheapest. The home owners who are on top of things already have their rooms rented out, but new people are always posting availabilities on the IOM Home Stay website. My group, which includes a couple of wives, chose hotel rooms at Ellan Vannin across the street from the Bushy's Beer tent. I about coughed up a lung when they gave me the price, but this will likely be a once in a lifetime thing for us. 3 rooms for race week was around $5,500 USD.

Other options:

There is a guy running tours from the UK. He already has ferry and campground spaces available for his customers, just show up with a rental bike. If someone does this option, I would be very interested in renting your bike from you during one of the days you aren't using it.

Jason Griffith's Triumph on IOM rents bikes, with a 3-day minimum. That comes to around $760 USD.

You can fly directly to the Isle, but I don't know the particulars. I think it has to be from England rather that Ireland.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:45 AM   #3
Knucklehead OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for your reply, it will be just me a couple buddies going, I have been planning on flying into Dublin but Steampacket doesnt seem to want to cooperate. Every time i select a date it tells me that day isnt available, we will be foot passengers. Anyway thanks again, I will get it all sorted out, was hoping someone would chime in that has already done all of this mind numbing reseach. Anyway once I get the trip booked I will holler at you and I will buy the first round at Bushys Beer Tent!
Old 07-14-2014, 11:10 AM   #4
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

You ran into the same thing I did. Dublin is the cheaper airport, but poorly served by the ferry. They do not go every day, and not at the start/finish of race week.

I booked my ferry tickets outbound from Belfast to IOM at 3pm on Mad Sunday (June 7, 2015). The return ferry will go from IOM to Larne Ireland at 3am on Saturday June 13, 2015. Yes, you read that right...3am. We're calling this leg of the trip "Breakfast in Belfast".
Old 07-14-2014, 11:37 AM   #5
Knucklehead OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wow that is crazy, I am guessing you guys are flying into and out of Belfast. How do you plan to get from Larne back to Belfast Sunday Morning, after breakfast?

Been checking on rooms havent been able to find one hotel with a vacancy!

Thanks again for all of your help,
Old 07-14-2014, 12:20 PM   #6
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead View Post
Wow that is crazy, I am guessing you guys are flying into and out of Belfast. How do you plan to get from Larne back to Belfast Sunday Morning, after breakfast?

Been checking on rooms havent been able to find one hotel with a vacancy!

Thanks again for all of your help,
We're flying in and out of Dublin. We haven't figured out how to get back and forth to Larne/Belfast yet. Hopefully the train, but all options are still on the table.

Here is the link to the list of private properties listed as available. Those, and camping, may be the only remaining options this late in the game.

http://www.iomttbreaks.com/isle-of-m...an-tt-homestay
Old 07-14-2014, 12:25 PM   #7
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

By the way: don't give up. This trip is notoriously difficult to pull off, but lots of people do it every year. We can do it!

Some other info I learned this weekend from 2 nice ladies at the World Superbike race: it gets really cold there. I've seen the pictures of sideways rain, so I figured a good rain suit was in order. These ladies advised gloves and a parka for the upper part of the "mountain course". I can see that everything isn't going to fit in the carry-on luggage...

Looking forward to talking over beers on the outbound ferry.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:36 PM   #8
Knucklehead OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Dublin is the way to go for me like I said cheaper and after my layover in Atlanta 7 hrs later i'm on the ground.

If Ireland is anything like the rest of the UK then getting around will not be a hassle, the UK has some of the worlds best transportation systems for sure.

I'm not discouraged, I will be there if I have to sleep under a bus!

Thanks for the tip on the cold weather gear, I will pack accordingly.

I will let you know my progress.

Thanks again,
Old 07-14-2014, 04:05 PM   #9
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

By the way; I could not get the steam packet ferry to book a round trip (maybe because outbound and inbound ports were different?) so I had to book each direction as a separate one way trip.

Since each reservation requires a down payment, I had to pay 2 down payments. It isn't a big deal since its not a ton of money, and has to be paid at some point anyway.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:47 AM   #10
jshuck
Iron Butt #31

Oddometer: 392
our trip

just returned. We bought in with a tour that had been set up by a friend. He used Regency Travel. Everything worked well...
jshuck is offline   Reply With Quote