Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #31
jfoz
-

Oddometer: 7
Great to see you got it all together Bob! I've been enjoying mine, took me a little bit to get the wiring hooked up due to a lack of time to do things but it's all together and is fun to ride. I've found the car a bit light, so I've but 120 lbs of ballast in it to see how that works out tomorrow on the way to work.
jfoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:18 PM   #32
Alaskahack OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
Additional thoughts on my new ride

When I first thought about getting a sidecar I thought that it kind of looked like a fun thing to do
I spent hours reading the build and the ride threads on this forum.

When I finally decided to bite the bullet and buy one I contacted Jay@DMC and started talking to him. At the DMC website you can workup what your new car will cost and your only limited by your own lust.

I opted to get the M72DX only because it came with its own disk break system installed on the unit. I figured by the time I loaded the car with camping gear and a passenger, basic physics told me I'm going to need help in controlling the stopping action of this new type of ride.

But having a bike that has a good breaking system installed and attaching a second system is a completely different can of worms. Even though both systems (I'm only talking rear brakes now) are applied simultaneously. Doesn't mean the stopping power is going to be the same on both systems.

I found this out the hard way, first off I run over to NAPA and pick up a mityvac brake bleeding kit. Its a great tool that allow you to bleed your brakes by yourself So I bleed the brake system to the sidecar, and the pads seem to seat. Put the wheel back on, clean up my mess and take it around the neighborhood for a test run. Out of habit I apply the brakes as I normally do. But I'm using both front and rear. So far so good. Then I remember during a MSR class they said to take the bike up between 20-30 mph and try a panic stop

Fortunately I remembered that during a panic stop to try not use the front brake as a dominant part of you procedure.

Well the 1200GS IMHO have a very good brake system. So I figured if I added a sidecar and a second system it would be better

Well that didn't happen. I live on a dirt road so I'm cruising stopping here and there then try the panic procedure with just the rear brake.

Well the bike rear brake caught right off and the sidecar never really locked up.

I am by no means a mechanic but I do know a couple of wizards

He checks my brake bleeding comments about the $400. dollar tool (mityvac) I said it didn't cost that much. He laughed and said if it worked it was worth that much

He explained that some adjustment has to be done on the plunger on the master cylinder to make sure enough throw is applied for on the hack. To lock up

Put the wheel back on and tried it again This time it worked

Blog: alaskapeeks.blogspot.com

Retired and Riding
Alaskahack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #33
Alaskahack OP
Adventurer

First Real Ride !!

The first real ride up to Hatcher Pass. Its a 38 mi round trip from my house to the state park and back. In the summer when the pass is open, people come from all over to drive over the pass and then its about a 60 mi primitive dirt road that ends up in Willow Alaska

Still a lot of Snow up there

The road going up to the pass has quite a few turns, not as bad as the Dragon

But as much Dragon as I would ever want. You climb about 2,000 vft. Remembering that every foot you go up you have to come down.
So the laws of physics reverse them self on the way down.

I remembered about shifting my CG

Came home completely spent

Woke up the next day 05-18 shoulders and hip flexors pretty tight

Me and my bride decided to go up to Talkeetna Alaska

That is were all the people that are going to climb Denali have to go to. Because they catch the air taxi to get to the base camp

Retired and Riding
Old 05-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #34
Alaskajeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 958
NICE! Glad to see you are gtting all the bugs worked out. Are you taking it to D2D for a REAL test?
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
2011 Verys ADV
92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Alaskajeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:14 PM   #35
shmangzy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
really nice looking rig hope you enjoy it up there.
shmangzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:52 PM   #36
Alaskahack OP
Adventurer

My maiden trip for the new hack

Woke up this last friday 5-18 the temperature was about 40deg But the temp was supposed to move up to the mid 60's today. Beautiful day in Alaska.

When I was getting the order for my car first together I asked Jay at DMC what the electric trim was all about in the option list. He explained that it allowed the operator to adjust the tilt of the car in relation to the road Well that meant absolutely to me at the time. But even with the additional cost I thought it might be a good idea so I ordered it.

When I first set the bike and car up as a unit I followed the alignment instructions supplied by DMC and then checked the instructions in that yellow sidecar book. It was to much information and I started to get confused. I stuck with the instructions for DMC

I set my bike ESA as if I were driving 2-up with luggage and in the sport mode.

The bike tracked straight no pull left or right that was the way it was set up the day before on the trip up to Hatcher pass.

So me and my bride take off and head towards Talkeetna Alaska. Stop in to a coffee shop to get her a latte and start off

As we start moving up the road I notice that the bike starts pulling left for a while and then right for a while. I'm not sure if it was my sore shoulder from the night before or just my imagination.

After about three miles on this I finally try out the electric trimAnd shazamm everything came together.

In Alaska we really don't have that many roads and the roads we have are always in repair 4 or 5 miles at a time. And the camber is always changing.

So the electric trim was also a option a person would like to have.

I also got a tonneau cover to keep the chair covered when not being used.

We both have Gerbings heated liners but my wife found that the tonneau really helped to keep her lower half warm it did hit 63deg during our ride but the wind at 65mph is still cold

Thats Denali in the backround

Downtown Talkeetna

Another caffine break and back to Wasilla

150 Miles round trip and the start of many more miles

The bride loves it and is wanting to go all the time

Retired and Riding
Old 05-21-2012, 06:57 AM   #37
pops
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,503
Top read thank you for posting
Nice setup you have there.

Cheers Ian
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:17 AM   #38
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskahack View Post

Wish mine did.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #39
Juvat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskahack View Post

Juvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:02 AM   #40
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 631
Great to see!

Bob,

Thanks for the link to this as it was really quite interesting. I've always been curious as to how they ride, especially with the various changes in road conditions. It sounds like you have things pretty well ironed out so that's great and it's really great that your wife likes it and "wants to go all of the time"! That part is really really great! :-)

Thanks again,

Gary
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:46 PM   #41
King-pen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Dark side

Interested in the tire so, and rim size combo you are using on your bike
King-pen is offline   Reply With Quote