Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #16
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
Agreed on all of these. Except that none of them make it worth the premium they carry, as rare items.

I had to think long and hard about this - as a BR appeared in an old neighborhood of mine, 1500 miles away but someplace where I know people and how things work. I could do it; but, since I have a Big Ruckclone, why bother? The clone does 80 percent of what the BR does, and some of what it doesn't do, is an advantage. Overheat, for example.

It tops out at 52 mph. Well, some tweaking ought to get me close to 60; and that's plenty fast on that sort of cycle. If I want to go faster, either of my others will do it for me. A BR won't do 80-90, either - that's why I have the R1200.

Doesn't ride as well? Sure. It costs, NEW, a third of what a USED BR costs. And the GY6 engine is bulletproof and standardized. And I don't have to worry about theft.

Enjoy your Big Ruck. Just as I'll enjoy my urban ghetto cruiser, on city streets and at lower speeds.

Casey , I agree the BR has a healthy price tag comparatively speaking , and if it’s not worth it to you then you should stick with your Chinese model . Especially since you have to dump even more into a BR just to exorcise the BR’s gremlins . That said with a price tag of say $3,500 , then say another $700 for the Gremlins , it’s not all that bad for what your getting . If you have a $1,500 budget then of course the BR is out of the question . I have several bikes and can drive any thing I want , even the most expensive Harley they make . Actually I could have a garage full of any thing I desired , but I’m very happy with the BR and my Tmax . (Did I mention I’m sick of shifting ?) I paid $3,500 for the BR I’m driving , another $700 for the gremlins and about $400 for the trunk and hardware . I paid $6,450 out the door for my Tmax 2 years ago , overall for both I feel like I got good value for my money . As long as I am still able to ride I will have a BR in the stable , it’s my go to bike for running around town . For me there’s nothing like it , I wish it were a little bigger and had a little more power but it is what it is .

TheReaper!

TheReaper! screwed with this post 03-25-2012 at 08:29 PM
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:26 PM   #17
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper! View Post
hen you should stick with your Chinese model . Especially since you have to dump even more into a BR just to exorcise the BR’s gremlins .
Good to know - since I have zero experience with Honda scoots.

Quote:
That said with a price tag of say $3,500 , then say another $700 for the Gremlins , it’s not all that bad for what your getting . If you have a $1,500 budget then of course the BR is out of the question .
That's part of it. My finances have...how shall I say...come down a bit. When I bought the BMW, I was flying high - and the price and the deal, were unbeatable.

Those days are gone. Chinese or very, very used is where my finances are today. Fortunately the R1200 is paid for.

Quote:
I have several bikes and can drive any thing I want , even the most expensive Harley they make . Actually I could have a garage full of any thing I desired , but I’m very happy with the BR and my Tmax . (Did I mention I’m sick of shifting ?)
I hear ya there. That was part of my attractions to the scoot life.

I've run trucks, heavy equipment, cycles...and, of course, cages...all with manual shift and clutch, since I was fifteen. Ten years ago I never had owned an automatic...and, interestingly for a woman, my ex was the same way.

But I'm tired. I'm ready for a shiftless life...hence my current fascination with scoots.

Quote:
I paid $3,500 for the BR I’m driving , another $700 for the gremlins and about $400 for the trunk and hardware . I paid $6,450 out the door for my Tmax out the door 2 years ago , overall for both I feel like I got good value for my money . As long as I am still able to ride I will have a BR in the stable , it’s my go to bike for running around town . For me there’s nothing like it , I wish it were a little bigger and had a little more power but it is what it is .

TheReaper!
Yah, I was thinking about that this evening...pleasant, summery night; I was running an errand for the boss, on the scoot (Mileage!) Except for the slower speed, not being able to get it up to rural legal speeds...it's really the perfect ride for me. Easy and light and thrifty - and not looking girly.

When the cash-flow settles, I'll look into a bigger jug for the engine and heavier variator weights. If I can make an honest, GPS-verified 60, I'll be tickled pink.

Age is catching up with me; one of these seasons I won't be able to throw a leg over the tank of a cycle. That's where the scooter collection comes in.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:29 AM   #18
firebrick OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warney View Post
I bought my Big Ruckus from a fellow in Adair, Iowa, is that the bargain one you mention?
No there was one in Ames with a windshield that sold fast. I was going to go look and bring cash but changed my mind. Good discussion here. I'm kinda torn on what to do. I could buy a couple old goldwings for the same price.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:49 AM   #19
firebrick OP
Studly Adventurer

This one is on omahas Craigslist for $3600. Someone here should get it if I don't.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:27 AM   #20
knucklehead90
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
There are a few Big Ruckus scooters near me - I'm not interested in buying one but someone might want to look into one of them:

This one looks to be reasonably priced:
http://kpr.craigslist.org/mcy/2862341044.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/mcd/2877347848.html
Seems kinda high...

So does this one:
http://boise.craigslist.org/mcy/2891807645.html

Although I like the looks of the Big Ruckus there are a few things that stop me from buying one. Price - I'm not a collector - I use the things I buy. I like the idea of modern fuel injection which is why I bought the 2007 Majesty. And I want something that doesn't slow down on the hills at speeds of 60+. We've got a lot of hills around here. I'm thinking of moving up to the big Burgman so I can do some light touring. I like the Majesty for close to home errand riding but for a 400+ mile round trip ride it seems to be somewhat cramped. But then the 650 Burgman seems so big for just a jaunt in town to run an errand. There must be something thats 'just right' for all occasions - right? Probably not.
Maybe someone will come out with a Big Ruckus clone with a 500cc fuel injected water cooled motor? The backrest looks quite inviting to an old and very bad back.
1971 Karmann Ghia
2013 VW Jetta TDi Premium
knucklehead90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #21
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

There is a lot of talk here and on other forums about the prices on Big Ruckus scooters . While the asking prices are relatively higher than itís piers , I donít think they are overall that high . There are a lot of sellers right now asking some pretty high prices that they will probably not see for a long time ? The last one I bought a month ago had 1500 miles on it and was only $3,500 , not a bad price IMO . You canít just figure the up front price on any vehicle , some day if and when you sell you will get money back . In other words the depreciation cost . My son and I both have BRís set up exactly the same , I've put over 5000 miles on mine but he hasnít put hardly any on his . While he would like to get more usage out of his , he has a young family running him in circles . Bottom line is , I could sell both of them for more than I paid for them right now . Thatís even with me putting over 5000 miles on mine . No one knows what tomorrow will bring , but so far all of my BR scooters have been very good investments . Other than the 2 we drive , I have 3 basically low mileage ones in my collection . I would rather have those BRís right now than money in the bank , money in the bank pays nothing , but those BRís have had a very nice gain . Iíve been around a while , 65 years come June . One thing Iíve learned is that limited production vehicles lose a certain amount , then thatís it . Then over time they begin gaining in value , especially the pristine ones . Iím not trying to talk any one here into buying a BR , Iím just saying thereís more to it than just the up front cost . I know guys who have bought Harleys for $20,000 then dumped another $10,000 in them . Now they are lucky to sell them for $10,000 , and itís the same with other so called high end bikes . Just sayin !

TheReaper!
Old 03-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #22
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrick View Post
There is a big ruckus for sale I've seen but the owner states that its squeaky upon acceleration? Is that normal?
Tell him to feed the mouse.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #23
miboso
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
This one looks to be reasonably priced: http://kpr.craigslist.org/mcy/2862341044.html
I've sent a couple of messages, over the last week or so, and gotten no reply.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:35 AM   #24
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
http://omaha.craigslist.org/mcy/2916362186.html

Surprised this has not yet sold, get on it firebrick! Look it over and make a low offer ($3000?), see what happens.
Warney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:06 AM   #25
firebrick OP
Studly Adventurer

I'm surprised too. Think there must be some problem with it? It must be really squeaky for the owner to state it in the description. I keep trying to justify the price when I got my ninja in perfect shape for under 2k. Of course I can't get all of my fire gear on the back easily. The big ruck looks like it has plenty of room.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:18 PM   #26
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Doubtful anything is seriously wrong with it. Could be dry engine hanger bushings, a dry speedometer cable, maybe something squeaking in the suspension. The engine and cvt are related to those found on 25 year old Honda 250cc Scooters which are known to be about as reliable as it gets. Regarding overheating, I've ridden mine to a Scooter Rally in Lincoln, then in town for hours of stop and go riding on two consecutive 100 degree days, then back to Omaha in the late afternoon and it never overheated.
Warney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:46 PM   #27
wanna bECO
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Reaper I have to agree with ya about the big ruck and it's love hate issue. But since you have had so many I was wondering if you could answer a question for me.

Is the tubing on the big ruck and the chinky clone the same diameter. From the few pics online that I have seen of the clone, the tubing "looks" smaller. I also searched and cant find any reliable info about dimensions of the clone. If you could, let me know if you have experience in that area.

current stable

'94 Harley .... a blue one
'82 Honda passport
'87 Honda spacy 250
And an E Bike
85 spacy 250
81 passport (in pieces, many parts for sale)
The hit's just keep coming.. bought another 81 passport (11-28-09)

http://tiny.cc/ITgetsBETTER
wanna bECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:09 PM   #28
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna bECO View Post
Reaper I have to agree with ya about the big ruck and it's love hate issue. But since you have had so many I was wondering if you could answer a question for me.

Is the tubing on the big ruck and the chinky clone the same diameter. From the few pics online that I have seen of the clone, the tubing "looks" smaller. I also searched and cant find any reliable info about dimensions of the clone. If you could, let me know if you have experience in that area.
Don't know the Chinese but the BR is as follows .

Upper frame thickest part 1.521 inches or 38.7mm

Lower frame front 1.213 inches or 30.83mm

Lower frame rear deck area 1.971 inches or 50mm

FYI I sold a pristine 2005 BR with 500 miles on it , to a man in Washington DC who had a large collection
of motorcycles and scooters . He had one of the Chinese BR's , I asked him how he liked it ,
his reply was it was a piece of SHIT ! That is as close as I have come to a Chinese BR .

TheReaper!
Old 03-31-2012, 02:18 PM   #29
wanna bECO
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
LOL,I suspect as much... thanks for the reply and with those dimensions at least I have a point of comparison.

current stable

'94 Harley .... a blue one
'82 Honda passport
'87 Honda spacy 250
And an E Bike
85 spacy 250
81 passport (in pieces, many parts for sale)
The hit's just keep coming.. bought another 81 passport (11-28-09)

http://tiny.cc/ITgetsBETTER
wanna bECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:18 PM   #30
deezildennis
Its a what?

Oddometer: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper! View Post
Don't know the Chinese but the BR is as follows .

Upper frame thickest part 1.521 inches or 38.7mm

Lower frame front 1.213 inches or 30.83mm

Lower frame rear deck area 1.971 inches or 50mm

FYI I sold a pristine 2005 BR with 500 miles on it , to a man in Washington DC who had a large collection
of motorcycles and scooters . He had one of the Chinese BR's , I asked him how he liked it ,
his reply was it was a piece of SHIT ! That is as close as I have come to a Chinese BR .

TheReaper!
Mine sure hasn't shown me to be a piece of Shit.
My ZNEN Big ruckus clones upper bar is 1.523 with paint.
Lower front bar is 1.200.
Cargo area bar is 1.605
deezildennis is offline   Reply With Quote