Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #31
DaBinChe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
the GY6 engine is bulletproof and standardized..
You are in for a big surprise if you think the gy6 will hold up. You have a BR clone so it is from china and I can guarantee you that that engine will need a rebuild before 10k miles and if you ride it hard as in 50mph all the time then it will need a rebuild by 5k miles. GIven the same mileage as a "real" BR say 30k miles the clone bike will end up costing you more the a real one will.

Also I see that you want to mod it to make it faster my recommendation is not to do it cause it will just cause money and headaches and you will reduce the life by half of stock.

I use to work in a scooter shop that sold only chinese bikes and man I've yet to see one that is worth the price. I have rebuild more gy6 then I remember, stock, modified what ever done to them even 500mile oil change intervals they just don't last.

The longest lasting one was by a fella that had 25k miles. When I saw it I was very suprise that it lasted that long. He came in with it on a tow truck and had a worn out tire and I replaced it. That thing was on it's last leg, every thing and I mean every thing was just about to fall apart. When he came to pick it up we had a talk and he rode off I finally figured how he was able to get the milage he got without needing a rebuild. He basically rode that scoot, 150cc, like they ride scoots in China, really slow. He rode in the bike lane only and never went above 20mph. Basically this is how they ride in China, people there never go above 30mph even when they are on the highway and road was empty and wide open with smooth pavement...the culture there is that they just ride that way.

DaBinChe screwed with this post 04-01-2012 at 08:02 PM
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #32
Pimpwerx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Honda didn't corner the market on metal and oil. That's all these things are. A well-maintained engine will run reliably, regardless of who made it. There's no inherent flaw in the design of the GY6, so I don't understand the fear-mongering.

I was gonna buy a '12 Ruckus when I decided to read some of these forums and discovered the clones. I didn't understand what the worry was for when the GY6 is the upgrade engine for the Ruck. As long as you maintain the engine and the chassis is solid, you should be able to get years of life out of any bike.

You can build a reliable and peppy chinese scoot for less than a 50cc Ruck. That's why I ordered the bike I did. If you want the extra speed of the 250cc, then you might as well just get a motorcycle and get some real go.

I just don't think the pessimism towards the chinese scoots is well-founded. It seems xenophobic. Just because it's made somewhere else doesn't make it poor. Most of our stuff is made in some part in China. PEACE.
Pimpwerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:40 PM   #33
wanna bECO
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBinChe View Post
I use to work in a scooter shop that sold only chinese bikes and man I've yet to see one that is worth the price. I have rebuild more gy6 then I remember, stock, modified what ever done to them even 500mile oil change intervals they just don't last.
DBC, I have a lot of respect for the things you have done personally, and I think you have added to the scooter industry by making many aware of the capabilities of the smaller machines.

I wonder how long ago you worked at this scooter shop. I know that it's hard to extract anything but anecdotal evidence from the inmates here. I have seen many positive examples performance from chinese scoots as of late. Perhaps you time in the shop was prior to what seems to be an improvement in quality in the manufacturing of the chinky scoots. With your experience I might have concluded the same thing tho. And, I am seeing good experiences form people involving scoots from the PRC.

current stable

'94 Harley .... a blue one
'82 Honda passport
'87 Honda spacy 250
And an E Bike
85 spacy 250
81 passport (in pieces, many parts for sale)
The hit's just keep coming.. bought another 81 passport (11-28-09)

http://tiny.cc/ITgetsBETTER
wanna bECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #34
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
Price drop 4-2-12 http://omaha.craigslist.org/mcy/2935639926.html
Warney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:59 PM   #35
firebrick OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warney View Post
Saw that, why dont ya go check it out since its right in town and give us a condition report?
Old 04-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #36
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
If you are seriously interested I'll look at it. The fellow is wanting money to buy a house, $3k will get that.
Warney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #37
firebrick OP
Studly Adventurer

I am seriously considering right now. My wife has family in papillon and ive been trying to talk her into going for a visit, with my trailer in tow of course!
Old 04-03-2012, 05:00 AM   #38
EM-50
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Just a quick review. I bought a BR new (06). I used the hell out of it. I made it as useful as possible, storage and luggage.I used it around town not really long distance. It was trouble free. There is a slight hesitation upon acceleration, after much research, I decided to live with it. Seems a normal problem. To this day my wife is upset I sold it. Had to make room for the GS. If you decide to buy one I think its a decent investment (as much as any bike purchase can be). I sold mine after two and a half years I sold it for $400 less than I paid new! I can't believe the way they have retained their value. As far as style? Either you get it or you don't. Not alot of middle ground with the BR.

Are you just another American, who saw to many cowboy movies as a child?
EM-50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:08 AM   #39
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM-50 View Post
Just a quick review. I bought a BR new (06). I used the hell out of it. I made it as useful as possible, storage and luggage.I used it around town not really long distance. It was trouble free. There is a slight hesitation upon acceleration, after much research, I decided to live with it. Seems a normal problem. To this day my wife is upset I sold it. Had to make room for the GS. If you decide to buy one I think its a decent investment (as much as any bike purchase can be). I sold mine after two and a half years I sold it for $400 less than I paid new! I can't believe the way they have retained their value. As far as style? Either you get it or you don't. Not alot of middle ground with the BR.

Two and a half years trouble free use for $400 is pretty good in my book , I would like to
see a Chinese or any scooter accomplish that one . I’ve owned a dozen of them and to date have
flipped seven for a tidy profit . That said I was buying them well before the prices went through
the roof .

The BR retailed here in the states for $5,500 , and depending on your state’s taxes about $6,000
out the door . Some people got better deals and some paid full retail depending on when and where .
I think eventually and it won’t be long , you will see the pristine super low mileage ones , going for
more than the original full retail of $6,000 . I think if I took a few to Europe right now I could get even
more than $6,000 .

TheReaper!
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:11 AM   #40
firebrick OP
Studly Adventurer

It looks great to me. It looks like there is enough room with the seat up to tie down all of my gear when I get shipped between fire stations. We will see, can't just run over and look at the one in omaha right now as its 3 hours away. Should have picked up the one just up the road from me last year. If it doesn't work out, the ninja 250 keeps me happy.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:22 AM   #41
EM-50
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Hey, It just so happens that is excactly what I used it for. I would get detailed out to other firehouses at the last minute all the time. I would throw all my turnout gear,bedding and workout gear on the old BR. It ain't pretty but useful as hell. 2 other guys on the job picked em up and still have them. Your ever on the southside of Chicago and see a BR its one of them.

Are you just another American, who saw to many cowboy movies as a child?
EM-50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:10 AM   #42
firebrick OP
Studly Adventurer

Awesome. Ya my ninja looks like a gear bomb if I have to use it and the Ural gets worse gas mileage than my car. Looking for the perfect match.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:23 AM   #43
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
I believe what made earlier Chinese engines (and thus, scooters) so unpredictable was poor metal casting quality, low quality metals, rubber components (and seals) that would simply disintegrate rapidly, electrical components that were made from sub-standard materials, even frames that were poorly painted. This is all based on my first scooter (a 2005 QianJiang/Vento Triton w/ Minarelli-style 2-stroke engine). That scooter was a prime example of what can go wrong in Chinese manufacturing; porous castings, surface rust on the frame after just a few hundred miles, the exhaust header started rotting away after 1000 miles, the headlamp bulb was just an incandescent bulb... not very bright! Both rims were warped, the speedo was nearly 10mph off, some plastic panels didn't quite fit right... the plastic oil tank leaked, the alarm system and remote starter kept malfunctioning, and the factory spark plug had a bent center electrode. All this aside, I managed to sell it for just a bit more than I paid for it (bought with 660 miles, sold with 1200).
bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:26 AM   #44
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
But this isn't to say my Honda experience has been all sunshine and moonbeams. My elite 150 was a money pit (mostly from 20 years of neglect), and my Helix (although reliable and strong), has required quite a bit of maintenance lately. Don't get me wrong, it's all been well worth the effort, but bikes are bikes... they will need maintenance much more frequently than an automobile; but when you throw Chinese unpredictability into the mix, things can get dicey very quickly.
bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:57 AM   #45
wanna bECO
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbishoppcm View Post
But this isn't to say my Honda experience has been all sunshine and moonbeams.
Great input as always bishop, oh and I checked out your utube channel, ya got a lot of interesting stuff there.

Reaper is all to right about the BR pricing i'm afraid. Some of you may know that I am into honda passports. I have seen receipts from the dealers when these passports sold new. They would go OTD for 700 and change. I have seen even less too. There is a lady on the c70 yahoo list that paid 2k for one this year. They ALL sell for a grand if they are 12 volt and run decent. We all know that old honda's have frames of solid gold, well..... at least that's what the prices reflect. Fast forward 20 years in the future and BR lore will be abundant with there post apocalyptic zombie killer good looks and honda reliability and I don't doubt the prices will be around 10k with inflation NOT figured into that.

current stable

'94 Harley .... a blue one
'82 Honda passport
'87 Honda spacy 250
And an E Bike
85 spacy 250
81 passport (in pieces, many parts for sale)
The hit's just keep coming.. bought another 81 passport (11-28-09)

http://tiny.cc/ITgetsBETTER
wanna bECO is offline   Reply With Quote