Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
leeinmemphis OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
Need some suggestions for light weight summer glove?

Hey everyone,

Today I spent the morning cleaning up my motoport gear getting it ready for the spring/summer. I for the life of me cannot find my summer gloves and it is driving me crazy!!!! I had a pair of Held touring gloves and cannot locate them so I guess I'm going to need a new pair for the hot weather. I have winter/cool weather riding covered but need something for the 100+ degrees and 100% humidity we usually carry for the summers. They don't have to be waterproof but would prefer something that would at least breath a little.
leeinmemphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,715
I like my BMW Airflow.

cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,899
Rev'it Comet gloves.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...=45&zmap=21181

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
gfloyd2002
Title Free Since '12

Oddometer: 139
Held Air Stream

I live and ride in the tropics where heat and humidity are constant companions, so summer gloves are actually year round gear for me. After trying several options unsuccessfully due to poor protective qualities, I am very happily settled on the Held Air Stream gloves. Held quality, SuperFabric panels on outside of pinkie and on lower palm, kevlar lined and they breathe very well. Great safety features, so I don't feel like I'm sacrificing protection at all in these gloves. Kangaroo leather is strong but really lightweight, too, so you are cooler and get a good feel on the grips without sacrificing protection. They have little vents in between the fingers that work really will to push air in, as shown in photo below.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
tsperez
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I went from Tourmaster GX Air to Held Summer gloves. The TM are not bad for the price but the Held are a notch up. My brother says his BMW Airflow gloves are the best he's had. Reviews are in the blog listed below.

tsp
Blog: www.swriding.blogspot.com
tsperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,385
deerskin or elk skin, cooler when it's warm, warmer when it's cool. but I'm just an old airhead guy, so WTF do I know.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #7
precarious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
+1 on BMW Airflow. They just work. Very comfortable.
precarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #8
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
I've got these right now, but they're starting to get warm at 80 degrees. I have a pair of Klim Dakar gloves for our AZ summers, but I doubt they'd survive a street get off.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:20 PM   #9
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertash View Post
I've got these right now, but they're starting to get warm at 80 degrees. I have a pair of Klim Dakar gloves for our AZ summers, but I doubt they'd survive a street get off.
These are some of the breeziest gloves I've owned that offered real protection. Anything is going to be "warm" at over 80°F.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:32 PM   #10
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 507
I'm going to give these a try and see how they fare as summer approaches. Spidi Race-Vent gloves

moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #11
YT Dave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Go for the BMW Airflow gloves. They're expensive, but they're great. I've been wearing the same pair for four years. I've repaired them with "speed sew" a few times when the stitching came out and it worked great!
YT Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #12
P 0 P E Y E
Bald rider

Oddometer: 113
For street riding in summer, I like a pair of non lined simple leather gloves.

I carry a bunch of gloves and rain gear. Got cold once in a distance ride. Now loaded for bear on street
P 0 P E Y E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #13
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by moggi1964 View Post
I'm going to give these a try and see how they fare as summer approaches. Spidi Race-Vent gloves

Make sure you get back to us with a report, I need gloves now and have been looking at the spidi's...

Thanks in ADVance....

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #14
precarious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
These are some of the breeziest gloves I've owned that offered real protection. Anything is going to be "warm" at over 80°F.
My BMW Airflows still keep me cool at 100! I'm not a BMW preacher (I ride a Strom), I'm just offering my experience. I've had some hot days and some surprisingly cold days with the Airflows; they just seem to work no matter what.

I'm sure the Helds are great and the Rev'Its are effective; I chose the BMW option, and they work.

I like the carbon knuckles of the Rev'It. I don't like the padded knuckle of the BMW Airflow. Fortunately, I haven't had to test them in a crash, but I would trust my hands to something hard rather than something soft.

As another option, I ran Komodo gloves, last year. Comfy, cool, and lots of protection.
precarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:48 AM   #15
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
I live and ride in the tropics where heat and humidity are constant companions, so summer gloves are actually year round gear for me. After trying several options unsuccessfully due to poor protective qualities, I am very happily settled on the Held Air Stream gloves. Held quality, SuperFabric panels on outside of pinkie and on lower palm, kevlar lined and they breathe very well. Great safety features, so I don't feel like I'm sacrificing protection at all in these gloves. Kangaroo leather is strong but really lightweight, too, so you are cooler and get a good feel on the grips without sacrificing protection. They have little vents in between the fingers that work really will to push air in, as shown in photo below.

I love these gloves...want to get some Held winter gloves now.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote