http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #63
Gruesome
Alter Heizer

Oddometer: 830
cheap elkskin gauntlets

I got these DEERSKIN (not elk) gloves: http://deerskingloves.net/316BK.asp [URL updated 2014-01-20]

Very fast shipping, great fit ('L' for my ~size 9.25 hands) in width and length, smooth leather (gloves and gauntlets), easy to operate zippers and rummage through pockets with (can't do that with my other gloves), no obvious seam defects, and most important: gauntlets fit perfectly over Atlantis cuffs (neither too wide nor too narrow, gauntlet length is just right).

I used them for one hour today, including some downtown stop-and-go traffic. I was just a bit too optimistic about the weather warming up today (it didn't): these are a bit cold on the interstate at 39F (and I expected them to be).

Nitpicks: the cuff elastic stitching is on the inside of the wrist, so the palm bunches a little bit at the bottom outer edge. This is just barely noticeable and does not impede the grip or control. Finger and thumb length is perfect except for a few extra mm on the pinky.

I also got the 110T short unlined elkskins, but the tan color turned out to be yellow/orange. John, the owner, immediately offered to exchange them for a more natural looking pair, and I'm going to take him up on that.

Gruesome screwed with this post 01-19-2014 at 10:59 PM Reason: glove-s.com disappeared; URLs updated
Gruesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #64
Prior
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
You certainly cannot beat the price on those. Perhaps it's worth $20 just to give a pair a shot. do they seem to be secure on your hands? I don't see any other closing mechanism (velcro or the like), I do worry without the additional closures, they could come off in the event of a slide- thoughts?
Prior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:00 PM   #65
theboxers
Getting Out There

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboxers View Post
I tried these on yesterday. Really nice glove. The switch between pockets is straightforward.

1 problem. The size 12 air n dry, for me, the thumb in the air part of the glove was short. Did not seem to be a problem gore side. I have a size 12 airstream and they are spot on. I will be trying the size 13 air n dry when they arrive in the store.
Just found out that the size 12 air n dry is the largest they will do.
.Got Licence. Got the bike.

Now what have I forgoten. Oh yeah RIDE IT

theboxers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #66
Gruesome
Alter Heizer

cheap elkskin gauntlets II

DEERSKIN, not elk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prior View Post
You certainly cannot beat the price on those. Perhaps it's worth $20 just to give a pair a shot. do they seem to be secure on your hands? I don't see any other closing mechanism (velcro or the like), I do worry without the additional closures, they could come off in the event of a slide- thoughts?
I've only worn them for one hour so far. There is no velcro nor snaps, but they are definitely not loose. I sized them so they would be a snug fit, and they are, including the fingers, without being uncomfortable. I hope they won't come off if things go sideways, but given the leather thickness (or rather, thinness) and lack of padding or reinforcing features they definitely are a compromise as far as protection goes. But I was looking for thin light weight summer gloves.
Given the price, these might have sizing variations from pair to pair, and I was just lucky - I don't know. I also don't know yet whether the color will rub off due to sweat or humidity. That's why I also got the tan ones - except the first pair wasn't tan. We'll see how the exchange works out.

Gruesome screwed with this post 04-13-2012 at 12:30 PM
Old 04-11-2012, 08:26 PM   #67
gfloyd2002
Title Free Since '12

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prior View Post
These, from same company, may be more to your liking: http://glove-s.com/034BK.asp#Motorcycle_Gloves
Old 04-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #68
Gruesome
Alter Heizer

The 34BK might offer more more protection, but a) having thinsulate doesn't make it sound like it's a summer glove, and b) 40 bucks is getting into Aerostich territory.
But good that there are choices.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:37 AM   #69
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Moto View Post
Love them. Built like a tank. Comfortable. They're not shorty, vented hot weather gloves, but they're versatile. Definitely worth checking out.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:47 AM   #70
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,818
On my second pair of Held Namibs; first ones lasted 20k miles. Love 'em.

Perforated between the fingers.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:14 AM   #71
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Love them. Built like a tank. Comfortable. They're not shorty, vented hot weather gloves, but they're versatile. Definitely worth checking out.
Thanks Jim. Interesting that they have CE certification.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:16 AM   #72
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
I use cortech scarab gloves, and they've done me well all year round. I haven't gotten to try the new version of them yet, but my first gens have awesome knuckle vents.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:59 AM   #73
eatthepeach
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Check out Helimot's summer gloves: https://shop.helimot.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=28. I haven't tried them but I'm on my second pair of their Buffaloes and I doubt I'll ever buy gloves from anyone else.

Before I had Helimot gloves I wore Helds (not the Air). They're great gloves, but nowhere near as nice as Helmut's.

eatthepeach screwed with this post 04-24-2012 at 04:21 AM
eatthepeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #74
Gruesome
Alter Heizer

'tan' 110 T elkskin work gloves

I exchanged the second pair of gloves, the elkskin work gloves, I ordered from glove-s.com/deerskingloves.net because they were not tan but yellow/orange. Shipping was again lightning fast, but the color is almost the same as the pair I sent back, and quite different from the catalog pic. If this is the lightest 'tan' pair that they can find in stock, then they should probably rename the color from 'tan' to yellow.
The picture shows the gloves next to my grey bike cover and the BMW 'mandarin' yellow/orange side case:

The leather feels nice. It is quite a bit thicker than on the deerskin gauntlets (see earlier post), and the gloves and especially the seams feel stiffer. Due to the thicker leather the fit is less conforming especially at the finger tips. I haven't tried these gloves on the bike yet.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #75
Joey Stalin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
sorry for knocking your choice, but those look like they'd pull off the instant your hand touched the pavement, and there's no impact protection to speak of. the impact protection is debatable to some extent, but if the gloves don't stay on your hand then they're basically useless. unless you're not riding on the street or have some other use for the gloves.
Joey Stalin is offline   Reply With Quote