Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #46
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

Oddometer: 161
Sunday April 8th, Wyoming.

Sunday April 8th.
The next morning we continued north to I 80 into Rawlins Wyoming.*

Then 789 up to Riverton, then stopped in Basin at some relatives. They were gracious enough to feed us and let us stay the night. *We also washed all of our clothes and gear.*
"Based on strikingly irrational beliefs & emotions, liberals relentlessly undermine the most important principles on which our freedoms were founded. Like spoiled, angry children, they rebel against the normal responsibilities of adulthood & demand that a parental government meet their needs from cradle to grave." Dr. Lyle Rossiter
'11 R1200GS Adventure, '12 F800GS III Black, '13 URAL GearUp
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:24 PM   #47
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

Monday April 10th. Off eastward towards Devils Tower Wyoming.

Monday April 9th.
We woke up, were fed breakfast, packed all of our gear and road into Basin for some fuel. *We then road south into Manderson to take 31 through Hyatville Wyoming, then onto County Road 49/Hyatville road to Tensleep. *This was a nice ride as it was gravel and dirt with a lot of open range cattle roaming around. *

They were hauling ass to get away from us as we rode by.

Then we made it to the pavement. *The offroad fun was officially over.

As Jim & Courtney promised, we rode right through the mountains. *The temperature got down to 31. Still a nice ride though.

Piss break

We then turned east on 16 and proceeded through Tensleep. *This a really nice town nestled into rock cliffs. *It looks like a cool place to live. * We continued on 16 all the way north east to Buffalo, gassed up and moved on still on 16 through dinky Clearmont, Leiter, and finally into Gillette where we fueled up, ate some Quiznos, got some Dairy Queen, and then road 90 to Sundance where we stopped at the Bear Lodge. *

This is a very very nice motel *for $58.00. And the parking lot is enclosed in a horse shoe configuration which keeps your bikes out of the way from prying eyes of *passerby's.
*Tuesday morning we are riding north to Devils Tower for a looksee. *Then to Deadwood, followed by Sturgis.
"Based on strikingly irrational beliefs & emotions, liberals relentlessly undermine the most important principles on which our freedoms were founded. Like spoiled, angry children, they rebel against the normal responsibilities of adulthood & demand that a parental government meet their needs from cradle to grave." Dr. Lyle Rossiter

URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER screwed with this post 04-16-2012 at 06:57 PM
Old 04-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #48
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

Tuesday April 8th, Sundance, Wyoming, Devils Tower, Deadwood, Sturgis

We woke up at 0830 and loaded our bikes. *We stayed at the Bear Lodge in Sundance Wyoming. *This is the cleanest and what seems to be the most secure motel I have ever stayed in. *You pull Your bike into a parking lot surrounded by the hotel with one way in and it passes the office. *It was a very nice room and the carpets were actually just cleaned right before we got there. *The next morning the carpet cleaning company was there working on other rooms.

We got on our bikes and rode to the gas station to fuel up. *We ate some milk and doughnuts and then made our way north on 14 towards Devils Tower. It only took about 30 minutes to get there and the ride was actually quite spectacular. *The Black Hills between Sundance and Devils Tower is truly a sight to see.

Once at Devils Tower we took some photos, and I told Michael that we would go to the gift shop and get some ice cream. *We didnt get any, so I said yeah we'll just get some in Sturgis.*

We then made our way north again on 111 up to Aladin, then then east on 24 where it turns to 34 in South Dakota just south of Belle Fourche then south on 85 towards Deadwood. *This was a nice ride. *It got a little chilly though.

Once in Deadwood, we rode up through the center of town. *I thought the buildings were cool as I knew just a little bit of the history. *Michael didn't see anything special. *

We then rode towards Sturgis on 14. *This didn't take long. *We first went to the Harley Davidson Shop to pick up some shirts for a friend. *

We then rode to the BMW/Yamaha shop to get me some T-shirts. *The Dairy Queen was right next door, but I wanted to eat before dessert.

We then rode to the Easy Rider Restaurant to get some lunch. This was a rather unpleasant meal. *The service was great but the Sturgis burger tasted like dogshit smells. *he then asked about Ice Cream, and I said, nahhhh. We need to get going, you will live.

We then rode south to fuel up near I90. Then as we were departing South on Vanocker Canyon Road, Michael caught up to me and waved me down. *He noticed a clanking noise coming from his bike. *I hopped on and immediately noticed that the chain was loose as shit. *We turned around and rode back to a parking lot just north of I90. I had him unload his bike and break out his tools. *He then began to remove the caliper and loosen the main axle to adjust the chain. *I took a close look at the chain and decided that since it had deteriorated so rapidly and since all of the center spacers in the chain were literally loose and rattling that it would be best to just get a new one since we were actually in a motorcycle town with motorcycle shops.

**I had Michael remove his rear wheel and prepare the bike while I went to get a new 520 chain. *Once at the dealership, I picked up the $90.00 chain but they had no chain link tools for sale. *I tried to call Michael to tell him to put it back together but as usual it went right to voicemail. *I then hopped back on my bike and road a mile back to the southern Sturgis I90 exit. *Once there, he made quick work of slapping it back together. *While he was putting it back together I realized that we would be going back to Dairy Queen and told him that he didn't have to destroy his chain just for some damned ice cream. *He thought that was pretty funny.

So we loaded up, and rode through Town to Sturgis Motorsports, the BMW/Yamaha dealership. He unloaded the bike and pulled it in. *

While they were working on the bike, I made Michael walk over to Dairy Queen and buy me a Blizzard. *While we were there he was eyeballing the new Arctic White F800GS. *About 30 minutes later, they pulled the bike out, hit me for $45 in labor. *I had him check the bike over as I told him is was ultimately his responsibility to ensure that his bike was put back together correctly. After checking it out and riding it in the lot, he lubed the new chain. *He exhausted the remaining lube, so I went back in and purchased another can of chain lube. *

We then packed the bike back up and road back south to Vanocker Canyon Road to ride the "Needles". I believe it is called this as all of the trees are pine and line the roads. We saw well over 500 dear on the side of the road throughout this route towards Nemo. We then continued south on Nemo all the way into Rapid City. *Once there, we road north to I90 and headed east. *It started to get really cold with a strong left crosswind. *We were going to exit on Exit -110 and head south though the Badlands, but the cold started seeping in. * Now, I'm not sure what the big deal is about Wall Drug, but holy crap they had billboards every half mile for 40 miles. *All just saying random shit and claiming that they have everything you will ever need. * We exited off on exit-107 to get fuel and to check out a a motel, but the motel had seen better days. *

We also saw these signs for food. *SEEMS LEGIT RIGHT?

Nahhhh. We continued to Wall. *We got off exit 109 since it is so close to 110 to start off Wednesday heading south though the badlands. *We got a room at Ann's hotel which was nice and the price was right. $55.00. There was nothing to eat in town but a Dairy Queen and a gas station Subway, so we just went back to the room and made freeze Dried food packs. *Then we*
went to bed. Long day.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:51 PM   #49
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

Wednesday April 9th. Wall, South Dakota

We woke up at 0800, packed up and rode to the nearest gas station and picked up some milk and doughnuts. We then rode south on 240 from Wall to the Badlands. *These formations of eroded dirt were pretty cool. *However, for some stupid reason they charge $10.00 per motorcycle and $5.00 per car. *Figure that shit out! * *We pulled off at the first overlook and took some pictures. No particularly liked the signs that said. " prairie dogs carry the plague". What a great excuse for me to pull out the rifle from my pack. *I'm sure they would have frowned upon that. *You can see where the rifle resides in my pack if you know what you are looking for.

* We continued on and once through the badlands road south on 367 to 44 east all the way to Wanblee. *And if you blink, you will miss it. We passed the gas station and had to flip around. *We stayed on 44east all the way to 83 south. We crossed into Nebraska which turns into 20. We stayed east on 20 into Ainsworth and got some Pizza Hut. *

We headed east on 20 to 275. We passed through Norfolk, then through West Point, the into Omaha Nebraska and got something to eat. *We continued west on 92 then south on Wabash labeled as a Scenic Byway. *We stopped in Glenwood Iowa at the Western Inn of Glenwood. *

The lady said to just park the bikes up on the sidewalk under the awning and so she could keep an eye on them. *

We got a room and as I rounded the corner I instantly observed that the long narrow eerily lit hallway resembled that of the hotel hallway in The Shining with a Jack Nicholson. *Creepy Cool. *I only saw the movie once about 30 years ago, but the two creepy dead girls popped right into my head. *Hmm. *Such useless information that dwells in the depths.

Now this is the actual hotel in the Shining. I went to the front desk and asked the owner if anyone had ever made the comparison. She said no and didn't see the resemblance. Shhhhhhit......myassss

The shower head was an old clunky POS that shot water out like a 2" fire hose. They don't make them like that anymore. The water pressure was also abnormally high. Taking the extremely hot, high pressure, blasting shower was the highlight of the day. *I wanted to steal that shower head because I'll probably never get another shower like that. *

We flipped on the TV and found Long Way Down with Ewan McGreggor and Charlie Booreman on. *I love those documentaries. *Here's Michael watching it. We both got the adventure bug from these shows.

We prepacked up our gear and watched some TV, then went to bed. *Tomorrow is going to be a full day of riding like today. *12 hours, then home.

URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER screwed with this post 04-16-2012 at 10:57 PM
Old 04-16-2012, 11:25 PM   #50
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

Thursday April 10th. Iowa to home

We stopped on the other side of the border of South Dakota to Iowa, once we woke up at about 10:00am. Uhhhhgg... We loaded up and rode south a couple of miles and then rode east on 275/34. *We rode this stretch all the way to Galesburg Iowa. From then on it was long riding and gas stops, to check the oil and lube the chain.

Now one thing you have to understand about Michael is, is that he was raised to have manners and etiquette. Unfortunately he fails to practice the long taught techniques that we have worked for years to hone. *I'm hoping someday that the switch finally clicks. *But not today. *We stopped for gas in an I don't know where town and I got us some ice cream sandwiches. *Now I selected these because not only are they everything one needs in a 3 course meal, but they are convenient to eat and very easy to eat. *While I'm eating mine, I look over and in typical Michael fashion, he has managed to get ice cream on his upper lip, but wait, also on his eyebrow, and the side of his face. *I simply don't understand the physics of how this is possible. *It's like his food must circumnavigate his face in a geosynchronous orbit before it actually makes it into his mouth. *I saw this and the words, how in the fuuhhhh, Began to come out of my mouth before I realized, hey, I have a camera. He instantly knew what was up and wouldn't cooperate.*

We then jumped on I74 east, through Peora, Bloomington, Champaign, all the way into Lizton, Indiana. *Then south through Danville on 39 and to home.
We got home at 10:00 pm. *

I then told Michael how proud I was of him, thanked him for riding safely, and told him how much I loved him.
We unpacked just the essentials and showered and went to bed.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:29 PM   #51
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

Reviews.

I will be doing reviews of all of the gear we used on this trip. So stay tuned.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:19 AM   #52
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

Touratech quick detach bottle mounts. *

Touratech quick detach bottle mounts. *

These worked flawlessly. *And when you get home, you don't have these large bottle mounts on your bike. *Simply push the QD button, turn, and pop them off for the next adventure. *
Old 04-21-2012, 02:21 AM   #53
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

MSR fuel bottles and Dragonfly Stove

MSR fuel bottles and Dragonfly Stove. *I've been using these for about three years now. They really are pretty awesome. *I've kept them in my panniers, and ruck. The Dragonfly is a multi fuel stove and is easy and very reliable to use. *I've kept spare fuel in the bottles, oil, brake fluid, and diesel. *They DO NOT leak and have been dropped from several feet several times. *They also have a venting feature when opening to help prevent fuel from spraying you in the face. *

URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER screwed with this post 04-21-2012 at 03:37 AM
Old 04-21-2012, 02:22 AM   #54
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

BMW R1200GSA tank bag and map case.

BMW R1200GSA tank bag and map case.
I didn't think that this bag was going to make it off road. I thought it would be flopping all around and popping off. It stayed put just fine. *Even on get offs.*

Old 04-21-2012, 02:23 AM   #55
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

Touratech Zega-Pro panniers

Touratech Zega-Pro panniers.*
As advertised. *Kept everything dry, supported, and protected. *After some hard hits, they took it, and stayed solid. *The mount system is just as solid and never bent. *They are just an all around solid water tight box.*

I also picked up some Touratech Zega Pro Lid Liner Bags prior to the trip that use the existing screw holes for the corner guards. The liners come with the brackets and straps to hold the liner tightly to the inside of the lid. This gives you that extra 2" that you typically loose if you don't pack your panniers above the rim. On the right side I kept our titanium sporks, an Ortlieb folding sink, spare batteries, Mio Water Enhancer, and other small things that I needed quick and easy access to without having to dig through the panniers.
On the left side I kept injectable medicines, OTC medicines, antibiotics, sutures,and other medical items separate from my main comprehensive medical kit that I didn't want crushed and easy access to.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:26 AM   #56
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

Ortlieb waterproof bags.

Ortlieb waterproof bags. *Kept our toilet paper and food dry with no issues. *The quick detach mini bag stayed on my top case. *

Didn't think the mounts would hold up but they did just fine.

The Ortlieb Dry Travel Zip with backpack harness worked very well.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:31 AM   #57
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

ROK Straps

ROK Straps. *If you don't have any of these. *You must get them. *There is no comparison.

Your kit doesn't budge.

URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER screwed with this post 04-21-2012 at 03:40 AM
Old 04-21-2012, 02:34 AM   #58
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

Touratech Crash Bar Bags

I love these. *They hold all the gear you aren't too worried about getting stolen, or crushed in a getoff. They are also very handy in the fact that they keep all the essentials low on the bike for a better center of gravity, as well as absorb some of the blow to the bike if you to have a getoff and help protect the gas tank.*These met rock several times and didn't get cut or torn. *Very solid construction. *They're just a little difficult to get off when you want to remove them though.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:35 AM   #59
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

ADVRIDER Reflective Decal

ADVRIDER Reflective Decal.
Took all the bug impacts like it was it's job!
Old 04-21-2012, 02:36 AM   #60
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

ROX Risers

ROX Risers.
Really helped with standing and riding. Easy to install and rock solid.