ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #16
Noreaster
Fat and Cuddly again

Oddometer: 1,395
Ok

IN

For the first weekend of May.

" I hate to burst bubbles, but the Last Frontier is paved..." JRMosley
2005 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom
2005 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Silverado
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #17
Vt-Stromer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
I'm up for it depending on the final date.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:46 PM   #18
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
After my ride through VT the week following Hurricane Irene I have to disagree on this!
Hell, Irene didn't take much off the top. Plenty off the sides, though.

I've made a bold executive decision. The ride will be second weekend in May. Arrive on the 11th before 11:00 pm or before 9:30 am on the 12th. My interest is in a nice day and a half of dual-sporting, although we will accommodate both strict pavement riders and those that wish to get seriously muddy. There's a central location for lunch Saturday where all three types of riders could meet.

For those coming northbound, I highly recommend the Miss Lyndonville Diner, open 'till 9:00 on Fridays. If they are closed, the Lyndonville House of Pizza is open until 11:00. Both are good value and friendly.

Saturday dinner is pretty much BYO. I can spark up the barbie, as there's good sources for both hand-cut steaks and lobstah within seven miles. For those wishing to dine out, there are both Chinese and a good take-out sandwich/pizza joint within the same distance. Gas is available in either direction, as are groceries.

The Saturday BS-a-thon will occur around the fire between about 7:00 until the last survivor drops. A four-hour Sunday ride is in order. It would be good to have people on the road between 2:00 and 3:00 pm, as that would give most interested parties plenty of time to get back and showered up for Monday.

For those that pm me, I'll supply either a street address or coordinates for the secret location of the Palace of the People. A little pre-running is in order, but I can have GPS tracks for the routes before the event.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:25 PM   #19
sailer
trained Cirus Bear

Oddometer: 794
sounds good to me
Old 03-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #20
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

Oh, yeah: please bring something to sit on. This could be a camping chair, a folding chair, a milk crate, an Actionpacker, or my own favorite, a five or six gallon plastic pail with a Gamma Seal lid. If there's enough interest, we could do a very short workshop on making this rafting favorite (under a twenty all up) adaptable to motorcycle use. Dead dry and the best seat in the bush.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:33 AM   #21
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

If there is interest in it, we have a leader for a small-bike hard-core technical ride. My friend Big E (not an inmate here) has a 100+ mile loop that he's offered to lead. He doesn't suggest anything much bigger than a 400 or 450. Rocks, mud, single-track, powerlines, and class 4 roads make up the route. There is a sand pit along the way for those who miss the desert, which is suited to hucking all sorts of idiotic acrobatics.

Evan is a mechanic and one of the more experienced trail riders around these parts. He highly recommends a small front sprocket for the terrain. If people are riding in on street gearing, he may be able to help out with impact wrenches and such to swap to more dirt-oriented gearing Saturday morning. Bring all the parts you will need.

This route will demand aggressive tires. No Tourances, Distanzias, or the like. The tire should look and hook like a knobby.

Evan is very good about keeping a group together. He won't abandon you if you're stuck in a mud hole somewhere. That being said, everyone should have appropriate tools and spares on hand. Some areas can be very difficult to access by anything but a bike or by foot.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:35 AM   #22
TuortoAM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I am giving this some serious thought... will pm you for details after I check the calendar....

Um, just did... Sunday is Mothers Day, not married anymore, but that may impact attendance for others... just a heads up...
TuortoAM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:12 PM   #23
GutterTrash
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 595
sounds interesting, if theres enough strictly street riders gonna show. (krs here)

any lodging nearby? dont think the girl will be to pleased sharing a portapotty with you ff's
GutterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:40 PM   #24
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,375
that weekend is free so far and i'd like to get back to vt for some riding. would probably strap the 570 onto the back of the vehicle - so if i make this it would be 'little' bike for me.

the last time i rode in vt (which was right after irene) we made 9 miles. it was a seriously fun 9 miles! lots of water! it wasn't fun to see the devastation that was left in her wake. sort of a dichotomy.

swimming was optional but some did it; unwittingly!
Old 03-31-2012, 01:50 PM   #25
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutterTrash View Post
sounds interesting, if theres enough strictly street riders gonna show. (krs here)

any lodging nearby? dont think the girl will be to pleased sharing a portapotty with you ff's
I think we may be able to scrape together a road bike or two. Mr. Bob (not yet an inmate) is interested. F800S, and he certainly won't want to get it dirty. A couple of other locals are on street wheels ranging from Jap Scrap to BMWs to Harleys. Fairly sure that we could put together a respectable showing.

Your best bet for motels is in Lyndonville, if you are on a budget. There's at least four. The Lynburke Motel (802) 626-5124 is popular with the snowmobile crowd in the winter, and motorcyclists in the summer. About 12 miles away. Good diner (The Miss Lyndonville) nearby, plus about seven other places ranging from sandwiches to pizza to Chinese.

If you are looking for upscale, I'd recommend The Village Inn in East Burke, VT, The Wildflower Inn, also in East Burke, or the Willoughvale Inn in Westmore. They are all quite good, in scenic locations, and have restaurants on premises or nearby.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:00 PM   #26
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

Pretty Certain:

Canuman* VT KLR650
Big E VT KLR250
Mr. Bob VT F800S
Therrin VT DRZ400
VT-Stromer* VT DL650
Cromoth* MA Christini
Sailer* MA Something German
Loph 917* NJ Blue and Mean
BBQer* MA German, Ja,
Pfunk* CT KLR sis-fitty
Doc VT Potato Potato Shiny Thing
Mrs. Doc VT Potato Potato Shiny Thing
Barbsironbutt*VT K75S
SixtyAte* NH NX125
McDuff^ RI KLX300
akarob* CT Dual-Sport Something
Ryan M VT Former MX racer coming out of retirement. Likely on something nasty.
Cattledog1969* MA KTM EXC525
Dirt Missile* VT KTM300
Baiku* NH WR250R

Working out details, but we'll beat them without mercy if they don't show for at least a day:

Scotty B VT KLX250
Peter C VT DRZ400
Marie C VT Kawly-Davidson Cruiser Thingy
Jim N VT Potato Potato Shiny Thing
Sylvia P VT Potato Potato Shiny Thing
Border Rich VT Very Shiny Potato Potato Thing
Cap'n Jay RI GS1200A
alcontrast* CT F650GS

*inmates

Canuman screwed with this post 05-04-2012 at 08:07 PM
Old 03-31-2012, 06:52 PM   #27
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,546
as of now you can put me down for:

"Working out details, but we'll beat them without mercy if they don't show for at least a day:"

assuming I make it up there I'll be on an F650GS most likely, riding up.. Unless I feel ballsy and want to trailer up the DRZ400s and attempt the single track ride..

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:42 AM   #28
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

I worked up the routes for both the dual-sport ride and two versions of the road ride.

Dual-sport route looks like this:

It's primarily gravel, with some scenic sections of pavement. I will pre-run this before the ride to make sure things are kosher and all the gates are open. It should be big-bike friendly, with a few sections that may require a little low gear-crawling. Some sections on class 4 roads may have to be rerouted if things are particularly wet. There is a short extension up to Dixville Notch that is optional. Although the road is paved, it's a fantastic ride.

A little over 205 miles through some very pretty and wild country.

I did the road ride in two sections. The first is a loop of about 230 miles through northern Vermont and New Hampshire. This is scenic, wild country with some of the best views I could find and some very tasty twisties. Expect plenty of lakes, rivers, a spectacular notch in the mountains and a waterfall or two. The first portion (left loop) makes a good day at a leisurely pace. The extension (right loop) adds another 100 miles up though the Rangeley Lakes of Maine, returning through Grafton Notch. This is a good day for quicker riders who get on the road early. It's a pretty full day. Be aware, this is moose season in moose country. Warp nine, particularly in the early morning or evening can be inadvisable.

I'll post three GPX files soon.

The "down and dirty" small bike will not have a prepared map. Evan is not a GPS guy, and he feels that it's better to keep the group together rather than having riders spread out all over the place. You are of course welcome to log your own tracks.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:09 PM   #29
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

The GPX tracks are ready. The easiest way to handle this would be to PM me with an email, and I'll send the files as an attachment.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #30
beemerjim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 413
Just saw this thread. This looks like some of the best riding in the northeast. I'm gonna have to check and see if I can put my life on hold for a weekend. Jim .

It's all about attitude & timing.

I'm not sure where we're going, but this road seems to be paved with good intentions.
beemerjim is offline   Reply With Quote