Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2012, 07:54 AM   #46
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnbow View Post
I pulled up on my S3T once at a Saturday hot dog gig at the HD dealer you'd of thought I'd run over someones foot the way they looked at me. "Sounds like a Harley, looks like gawd knows what kinda Jap crap..."
Amazing ain't it?! Even Hardley dealers... I was pricing parts out for the Lightning at a non-Buell Hardley dealer. Yeah, I need part #12324 for my 99 Lightning.

'We're not a Buell dealer.'

Yeah. I know. Its a Hardley part # can ya please tell me what it'll cost me?

Quote:
I wave when I can, at every bike I notice. I wave at kids standing along the road, bicyclists, people driving classic cars, convertibles, I think that about covers it. Sometimes if I wave at a group of riders and get the too cool for school lip curl I turn it into a "howdy doody, Forrest Gump kinda wave".
I ride a bicycle LOTS. I'll give the 'too cool for school' 2 fingers down wave to MCs. I get lots of Geez! Ya think if I didn't ride a MC I would wave at you?!

Quote:
My wife laughs at me cause I'll wave at bikes when I'm driving her Lexus for gawds sake.... What the hell, start out friendly and adjust your attitude as necessary... kinda how I look at it.
Sometimes I'll wave at bikes in the car too. Not nearly as often.

...and yeah: start out friendly and adjust is my preferred method of dealing with everyone too. I've had my head bitten off a few times, but overall, its usually a positive interaction.

M
Old 03-28-2012, 08:21 AM   #47
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,335
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post

It would be too much work to be a snob.

Yet so many feel it's worth the effort!
Old 03-28-2012, 09:18 AM   #48
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnbow View Post

Yet so many feel it's worth the effort!
It's natural for folks to have pride in their choices and preferences, but the sad fact is some folks use riding and what they ride as a lifestyle, and a definition of who they are. Kinda sad really.

I must admit I am amused by those who dress up in their "biker" costume to go grocery shopping in their car. It was absolutely hysterical to see how some dressed up to drive to the Seattle motorcycle show.
It's like they are afraid someone might mistake them for an organic gardener at a bike show.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:44 AM   #49
squad314
Regular Joe

Oddometer: 99
I'm in the camp (like windmill^^^) that pities those who identify themselves primarily by their motorcycle. If your main source of identity is something you bought you must have a pretty lonely life. I'm a motorcyclist but also a Husband, Father, Firefighter, Lacrosse coach, half-assed guitar player, struggling runner etc, etc. There is a story behing every set of handlebars we pass.

When I had my Fatboy I loved every second of it and put a LOT of miles on but I never judged people I have never met by their choice of motorcycle. I knew a guy that used to give "jap bikes" the finger when he passed them because he saw them as lesser than him. I told him someone was going to break that finger off someday and certainly never rode with him. Being out of motorcycling for 10 plus years I am getting a lot of raised eyebrows at my new to me R1100GS choice because I was a "Harley guy". The reality is that I am looking for something different out of motorcycling this time as opposed to when I was 25 and single.

live and let live, ride and let ride I say.

Respect, squad
Old 03-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #50
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
It's natural for folks to have pride in their choices and preferences, but the sad fact is some folks use riding and what they ride as a lifestyle, and a definition of who they are. Kinda sad really.

I must admit I am amused by those who dress up in their "biker" costume to go grocery shopping in their car. It was absolutely hysterical to see how some dressed up to drive to the Seattle motorcycle show.
It's like they are afraid someone might mistake them for an organic gardener at a bike show.
Organic gardener... I sell Irrigation systems to farmers ranchers and homeowners, quite a few of the farmers these days are of the organic variety. I can smell em coming a long way off, much like a Biker Gang!

"IWhen I had my Fatboy I loved every second of it and put a LOT of miles on but I never judged people I have never met by their choice of motorcycle. I knew a guy that used to give "jap bikes" the finger when he passed them because he saw them as lesser than him. I told him someone was going to break that finger off someday and certainly never rode with him. Being out of motorcycling for 10 plus years I am getting a lot of raised eyebrows at my new to me R1100GS choice because I was a "Harley guy". The reality is that I am looking for something different out of motorcycling this time as opposed to when I was 25 and single.

live and let live, ride and let ride I say.

Respect, squad"

It's so darn hard to tell these days lots of Japanese bikes are pretty fair imitations of HD's and then you have Buells etc..

I'm with you guys, ride what you want, have a good time, don't tread on me..
Old 03-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #51
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Like as not, you're now associated with owners of MCs rather than riders of MCs.

M
You mean that isn't the case with some of those ego laden GS owners? They need those big aluminum boxes on the bikes 24/7 to haul around their egos for constant massaging.

A rider of a motorcycle has less concern with what it is and more about riding it. At a bike night at Quaker Steak and Lube in Polaris area north of Columbus Ohio I was more impressed with two kids who rode in on their rough bob jobs. One was an XS650 and the other a KZ400 or 440. Both were clearly riders that were about riding, not about impressing at QS&L with all the bolt on chrome shit wagons there. Those were two that still stand out in my memory of that night.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:47 PM   #52
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,560
Don't bother waving at any bike in Milwaukee unless you're on one particular marque. It's the least non-Harley-friendly city I've ever ridden through. And the guys on non-Harleys are so jaded by the lack of neighborliness that they don't return waves, either.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:35 AM   #53
bimmerx2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 985
I googled 'hypocrisy' and it brought me to this thread.
'08 Honda CBR 1000RR (get outta da way!)
'05 Honda CBR 600RR (trackday toy)
bimmerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #54
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
You mean that isn't the case with some of those ego laden GS owners? They need those big aluminum boxes on the bikes 24/7 to haul around their egos for constant massaging.
This is really annoying. I know a lot of GS riders, including quite a few who wear the whale foreskin suits and I don't know a single one who looks down on other riders for their choice of ride. They enjoy their rides and that's about it.

The GS riders are easy to spot and therefore, make easy targets for those who make other choices in bikes and attire. I really think too many people ascribe too much to this crowd.

BTW... In spite of my avatar, I do not currently ride a GS. I ride a nice and boring RT.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #55
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,125
Who gives a rats arse what everyone else rides. I know some of the GS riders as well as Harley, might have a bit of an attitude towards other brands, i wouldnt let it bother me anyway. There was a post in the UK KTM forum from a group of 990adv riders that were on the ferry going to France, and wondered why none of the other bikers on the ferry came to talk to them. I found the opposite here, Finland. When i stop for fuel or a meal, if there are other riders around, we usually shoot the breeze. I ride the 990 adv only because its perfect for my needs, i would swap it to something else in a flash, if i thought it would be better.
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #56
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,125
Nearly forgot, the hibernation is just about over, should be able to ride again in couple of weeks. New 2-1 exhaust rumbles nicely, not too loud, keep the neighbours sane
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #57
DRanger
Rockerville Rider

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerx2 View Post
I googled 'hypocrisy' and it brought me to this thread.
That's funny! A google of "arrogance" brought up your profile page.
DRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #58
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussijussi View Post
There was a post in the UK KTM forum from a group of 990adv riders that were on the ferry going to France, and wondered why none of the other bikers on the ferry came to talk to them. .
It's because you all cross our lines as soon we let you pass and roost rocks - even in sand.
Many slow from the 11/10s pace they set to pass and settle back into a realistic cruise somewhat slower than the overtaken bike is averaging.

Perhaps it's bad form to sterotype all KTM riders with bad behaviour; it may well be the effect of adrenaline wearing off or the slimy mess in your underwear that slows you down.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:40 PM   #59
bimmerx2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRanger View Post
That's funny! A google of "arrogance" brought up your profile page.
Arrogant because I don't make superficial broadbrush judgements about other riders based on the type of bike they ride?

Probably not the definition one would find in "Websters" but if it makes you feel good then you should go with it...
'08 Honda CBR 1000RR (get outta da way!)
'05 Honda CBR 600RR (trackday toy)
bimmerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:29 AM   #60
vecchio Lupo
Diplomatico Di Moto

Oddometer: 445
Mostly positive

I wave at every bike I see, if I see it in time. I sometimes get upset when i don't notice another rider waving at me and I don't wave back because I was looking elsewhere.

I too have Buells, and we are orphans, like so many others. Most BMW guys and H-D guys wave and are genuinely happy to see another bike on the road. That can be said for every make and model on the road, it's just aggravating when the negative types (Severe Minority) have to speak to you.

Like... "Buell, isn't that just a Sportster with plastic body work?" or "I used to wear a Stitch, but I discovered the BMW line of gear and now thats all I use, you should ditch that (insert name brand here) jacket/boots and get some BMW gear, even if you don't have a BMW blah...blah...blah never shut up, have you seen Long Way Round/Down/Over etc, etc etc."

The above rant is aimed at a tiny percentage of riders, they unfortunately are a vocal bunch and therefore appear more numerous than they really are.

Moto Guzzi, going out of business since 1921
"Remember, Italian motorcycles are like Italian women, sometimes they stab you for no reason."
vecchio Lupo is offline   Reply With Quote