User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2012, 05:58 AM   #1
o*o OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Is April late for Ushuaia? =:-o

In Buenos Aires now with Omena who insists it is good time to complete Ushuaia. He needs to run a few extra miles for his 20k service so April 2nd to 4th in Ushuaia seems like the schedule. Feel free to check weather forecasts. :) Thanx!

Jay

o*o screwed with this post 03-27-2012 at 06:25 AM
o*o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
Manolito
Patagonia guide

Oddometer: 237
No it's not (I live 600km before Ushuaia )

Going to Ushuaia? Stop in Rio Gallegos and let's have a beer
Manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:35 AM   #3
Zedrik
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolito View Post
No it's not (I live 600km before Ushuaia )
Hi manolito, what is the best time to head Ushuaia, I'm planing a trip from Santiago to Ushuaia on January 2013.
February is still good?
I'm chilean but living in Australia, so I now how is the weather down south.

Cheers for the advice
Zedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
With our present Climate Change phenomena it's hard to predict with utmost certainly the weather there ... or anywhere. New World.

Traditionally, April is too late.

You could easily have snow/freezing temps starting even 150 miles North of Ushuaia. I was in Ushuaia off/on from '74 to '79.
The High Season begins in November (mas o menos) and generally runs till March. In my experience, November and December seem to be the best weather months. But very little consistency in that part of the world. Later in the Fall, winds pick up. Like most places in extreme latitudes, weather is unpredictable ... and can change so fast you won't believe it.

I hung out with Welsh-Argentines in Ushuaia who'd lived there all their lives. Also made 9 crossings of the Drake Passage to Palmer Station Antarctica, Falklands and South Orkney Islands.

If they are having a late Winter or mild year you might be OK in April. I'd call down and talk to a real person in Ushuaia, see how things are. But one day could be mild and Sunny, next day, freezing and snowing. Have a bail out plan.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:45 AM   #5
Manolito
Patagonia guide

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedrik View Post
Hi manolito, what is the best time to head Ushuaia, I'm planing a trip from Santiago to Ushuaia on January 2013.
February is still good?
I'm chilean but living in Australia, so I now how is the weather down south.

Cheers for the advice
January is THE bestm but February is still good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
With our present Climate Change phenomena it's hard to predict with utmost certainly the weather there ... or anywhere. New World.

Traditionally, April is too late.

You could easily have snow/freezing temps starting even 150 miles North of Ushuaia. I was in Ushuaia off/on from '74 to '79.
The High Season begins in November (mas o menos) and generally runs till March. In my experience, November and December seem to be the best weather months. But very little consistency in that part of the world. Later in the Fall, winds pick up. Like most places in extreme latitudes, weather is unpredictable ... and can change so fast you won't believe it.

I hung out with Welsh-Argentines in Ushuaia who'd lived there all their lives. Also made 9 crossings of the Drake Passage to Palmer Station Antarctica, Falklands and South Orkney Islands. In Patagonia we always say " Here you can have the 4 seasons in one day".

If they are having a late Winter or mild year you might be OK in April. I'd call down and talk to a real person in Ushuaia, see how things are. But one day could be mild and Sunny, next day, freezing and snowing. Have a bail out plan.
4 days ago it was snowing in Ushuaia but yesterday I phoned some friend to if it still was snowing and they said to me that they are having fantastics days.

Going to Ushuaia? Stop in Rio Gallegos and let's have a beer
Manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #6
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
Here's the historical weather:

http://www.climate-zone.com/climate/...it/ushuaia.htm
Rinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:56 AM   #7
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,311
I did it mid-April. It was a cold and absolutely amazing. I wish I could do it again.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote