Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #31
ec90t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
The more a person knows about motorcycles, the less they want a hardley.
ec90t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #32
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
I bought a 2010 FLHTP cop version e-glide for my 50th birthday and agonized over it like a mother but Mrs. Easy said she'd ride with me on a touring bike so I went with the geezer bike. In my research I contacted inmate Bueller about tweaking the engine and suspension to get it in sport touring mode. After a few pm's his advice was "it's never gonna be a sport touring bike, buy it and ride it for what it is", sage advice that was.

It shares the garage with a BMW, Buell and a Kawi ZRX. They all do their own thing, and pretty well. When I want to hustle the twistys (and that's VERY relative based on my lack of skills) I don't grab the HD, there are better tools for the job available. When we want to head out for a weekend ride we grab the FunHog and it will punch a hole in the horizon nicely, maybe not with the refinement of a Wing or KGTL, but with its own brand of fun.

And it is kind of fun to wheel into a pirate gathering on an HD wearing a 'Stitch and a full face lid. It's amazing how conspicous a conformist is among all those rugged individualists

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
BigEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #33
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec90t View Post
Really? Most Harley riders I know had plenty of experience with Japanese, Italian, British, and/or German bikes before finding that riding Harleys struck a chord with them that none of the others did. They also put a hell of a lot more miles on their Harleys than most of the riders I know who own other makes, and they do so under conditions which count more as Iron Butt miles than pleasure riding.

I am not a Harley owner and am (ahem) hardly likely to be, but they are just the sort of bikes for people who like that sort of bikes.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #34
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEasy View Post
I bought a 2010 FLHTP cop version e-glide for my 50th birthday and agonized over it like a mother but Mrs. Easy said she'd ride with me on a touring bike so I went with the geezer bike. In my research I contacted inmate Bueller about tweaking the engine and suspension to get it in sport touring mode. After a few pm's his advice was "it's never gonna be a sport touring bike, buy it and ride it for what it is", sage advice that was.

It shares the garage with a BMW, Buell and a Kawi ZRX. They all do their own thing, and pretty well. When I want to hustle the twistys (and that's VERY relative based on my lack of skills) I don't grab the HD, there are better tools for the job available. When we want to head out for a weekend ride we grab the FunHog and it will punch a hole in the horizon nicely, maybe not with the refinement of a Wing or KGTL, but with its own brand of fun.

And it is kind of fun to wheel into a pirate gathering on an HD wearing a 'Stitch and a full face lid. It's amazing how conspicous a conformist is among all those rugged individualists

You are a wise Man and highly evolved on the evolutionary scale of motorcycling. Surprisingly few people ever really figure it out, but it's a damn simple formula:

Tool = Job

For those who understand that concept there is usually more than one bike in the garage (I say this as I am in the process of reducing my stable to one bike ). Doesn't have to be expensive. I could have a $3000 Sportster, a $2500 Bandit 1200 or FZ-1, and a $2500 Supermoto/dirt bike (two sets of wheels) in the garage and cover just about any kind of riding I'd want to do from track days to touring to cruising to dirt. And I'd be happy with that arrangement.

The rest just seem to cry repeatedly that Harley doesn't make a sport tourer or a dirt bike instead of realizing that Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Ducati, KTM, BMW, and everyone else have failed to make a Harley. Though some have tried very hard, their efforts have been in vain. I'm not slamming the bikes they've built - many of them are very good bikes. But in every case, and despite direct, shameless attempts to copy - they have all failed to build a bike that looks, feels, sounds, and rides like a Harley. Just like a Ford has a distinctly different feel from a Chevy, no one has been able to replicate what Harley makes. For better or worse. They have the most fiercely loyal customers of any brand. Some may blame that on awesome marketing, but that's only part of the picture. Just like there used to be a whole bunch of very loyal buyers of Oldsmobiles, Pontiacs, and most Chrysler products, no amount of marketing could save any of those brands from bankruptcy or dismemberment when they built vehicles that didn't excite their customers. Relatively few here will actually entertain the thought that Harley-Davidson customers actually like the way the bikes ride and perform, and that the bikes are plenty capable of the intended use. And there it is again:

Tool = Job

No, the whiners here won't admit it. But for all they do wrong, Harley does a hell of a lot more right than just marketing. They build high quality, fun motorcycles, if that's the kind of ride a person is looking for. If not, there are a whole bunch of other bike manufacturers waiting to take one's money. Seven times in my life I've spent that money at a Harley store. 44 times I've spent it elsewhere. With very few exceptions I've been quite happy with my motorcycle purchases. Sometimes I wonder if the whiners can say the same and really mean it. Doubtful, or threads like this likely wouldn't exist.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:43 PM   #35
wannabe1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Bueller, very well stated.
wannabe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #36
Jericho941
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Well I have both a VFR and a touring Harley and today I rode my VFR for the first time in quite a while. Since this week I parted with my ninja 250r, I'm down to just those two to meet my needs. My impressions are that for just riding around the harley is just fine, and my wife doesn't really like being a pillion on the honda. I rode the vfr for about an hour tonight and I have funny aches and slight soreness that I don't get on the road glide. I know some of that could go away with some more regular riding of the interceptor, but my rode glide doesn't leave me sore like that. The power of the v-four and the sweet feeling of the VTech are worlds different than my 96" harley. I find myself being more of a hooligan on the honda as its greater agility and brakes have me searching for situations that need lots of throttle, but I'm able to be more patient on the hog.

Having both of them is a damn good place to be for me as they are both at the top of my wish list and any other bike i fancy is just a passing crush.
Jericho941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #37
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by tri650 View Post
I ran it down to the local repair shop and he said it was not a"typical" leaking "area". He said it was probably a seal in the pushrod tubes that must have been put in wrong and it was easy to drop the tube and fix. He said someone must have been messing with it because that would not have happened from the factory - given it is also 10 years old. If it was something more than that he said it would mean taking off the head. He also said that the PO would have known about the leak, as he pointed out some areas in the back where oil had been sprayed. I guess I will pop the tube and see if the O rings are mis-aligned. If not I guess I will spend some money.

To all Harley owners - not bashing the bike or company, just not my thing. After riding modern sport bikes and such it just ain't the same thing when you get on a Harley. Different doesn't mean that it's crappy, just different. Obviously too different for me. Lesson learned - stick to what you like and know.
I've had those o-rings get in there cockeyed, they make a mess! Someone was indeed messing with it. I can't imagine anyone running it from the factory that way.. The original owner may have put a cam in and did that during reassembly, if he cut the o-ring and DIDN'T spring for adjustable pushrods the repair will involve removing the head. Still not a huge thing, I could do it in an hour or so and I'm not a Harley tech, just a shade tree mechanic... Good luck!
Old 03-27-2012, 08:28 PM   #38
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 839
Quote:
This is a foolish comment. I've owned a Honda, Kawasaki, Honda, Honda, Suzuki, Honda and Harley.

My two favorites are Kawasaki and Harley.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #39
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Most of the Harley riders I know have from 30-40 years of riding experience... and yet they buy Harleys... Most of the Harley haters I know have a year or two of experience repeated 3 or 4 times... Weird huh?
Old 03-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #40
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,503
Quote:
That must be the reason they had 56% of the market in 2011. Go figure.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:53 PM   #41
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer: 767
Quote:
That's odd. I've been riding for 40 years and have owned Hondas (8), Yamahas (2), a Suzuki, BMWs (5), and a KTM, And 3 HDs and a Buell. I still have one of the HDs and the Buell. I just sold a Ninja 250r and a KLX450 to make room for a ZX-14r. Oh yeah, I've owned Kwaks (4, inc the 14).

I'm no high-mileage guy, but I'm probably coming up on 250,000 miles. I've been cross-country three times and been to Alaska. I wear full gear, have a fairly extensive library about bikes, and do a good chunk of my own maintenance and upgrades. For two separate three year periods, a motorcycle was my only transportation.

And yet the bike least likely to get sold is the FXR. I must not know anything about bikes.
BigIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:05 PM   #42
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
That must be the reason they had 56% of the market in 2011. Go figure.
That reason means little in the way of knowledge about motorcycles....I mean, look at the last few presidents we've had....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:13 PM   #43
sixspeed
15 under Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Precisely the reason I have a WR and just got a Harley.

It's all about riding, not knowing about motorcycles.

Rob 2010 WR250R 2011 FLHP
sixspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #44
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tallnwide View Post
That reason means little in the way of knowledge about motorcycles....I mean, look at the last few presidents we've had....

The MoCo does not sell knowledge.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 03-28-2012 at 10:45 AM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:18 PM   #45
btl68
semi-rolling stone

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymply View Post
If the o-ring seal is pinched or torn beyond use and cannot be reseated, you will have to pull the gas tank, rocker box cover, and rockers in order to remove the pushrod and replace the seal. That's a lot of labor. Instead, you may consider buying a set of quick-fit adjustable pushrods. The quick-fit pushrods are telescoping can be installed without removing anything except the pushrod tubes and cutting/removing the old pushrods. This is a common procedure any competent dealer or independent shop should be able to perform. The quick-fit pushrod kits run around $100 and I gotta believe that will be cheaper than the labor to pull the tank and rockers.

Good luck with the repair and sale!
Exactly what I was going to recommend.

At the shop I worked at, a big set of bolt cutters took care of stock pushrod tubes and the pushrod in one simple cut. Saves hours of labor and is just the way to go, especially for ease of future work.

Ignorance is bliss until they take your bliss away...
btl68 is offline   Reply With Quote