Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2012, 11:34 PM   #46
EetsOK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixspeed View Post
Precisely the reason I have a WR and just got a Harley.

It's all about riding, not knowing about motorcycles.
Dude, the WR IS a Harley.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:23 AM   #47
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
That must be the reason they had 56% of the market in 2011. Go figure.
Very popular here in this little mining town,you arnt cool unless you own one...
...I like being uncool
Another thing,they buy-em hot-em up to be booming loud & ride like a sports bike sorry dont get it
Old 03-28-2012, 03:26 AM   #48
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG. View Post
Very popular here in this little mining town,you arnt cool unless you own one...
...I like being uncool
Another thing,they buy-em hot-em up to be booming loud & ride like a sports bike sorry dont get it
For some reason the pirates think loud is powerful and fast. If you want fast get a Hayabusa or ZX14 and leave it stock.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:54 AM   #49
Matchanu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIron View Post
And yet the bike least likely to get sold is the FXR..
Wise man right there. 86 FXR is my current ride and I've been told by many to never sell it.

My second bike was a 74 sporty. AMF HD, foot controls on the opposite side, leaked oil, breaks didn't work worth a shit, electrics would rattle off and leave me stranded, suspension sucked...I fucking loved that bike.

I've owned a lot of different bike of different styles, my least favorite by far was the BMW, flat and boring to ride, I sold it within 4 months. It's a fine bike for someone else, just wasn't me at all.

HD's have charactor, that adds up to a lot when it comes to long term enjoyment.

+1 on the adjustibe push rods and tubes, it'll save you a lot of headaches down the road.
Matchanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:42 AM   #50
hvMULEwiltrvl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
This is a good thread for me to chime in with my experience.

I have a 1986 Softail Custom that I bought in 1996. Rode it exclusively until 2002 and still have it. In 2002, I was 34 years old and planning a six week cross country (USA) trip. I needed a more appropriate tool for the cross country trip, so I bought a 2000 FLHT (Electra-Glide Standard). At the time I looked at the E-Glide as a geezer bike and thought that I would sell it after the trip. Well I did not sell it and use it as my primary ride at present. I really like it. It just fits me. I am 6'1" and 200lbs. I like the floor boards for comfort, it hauls my gear and my wife just fine, the stock mufflers have plenty sound and it makes adequate power for my riding style.

After upgrading the cam chain and tensioners to an Andrews 21G gear driven cam setup, I am confident that I will get several more miles out of this bike. The maintenance is exclusively done by me and because it has long been paid for, it is a cheap bike for me to own now, but I realize that there are many bikes out there that would have been cheaper to own than my Harley.

In the Spring of 2010, I rented a 2005 BMW 1200GS for a four day weekend in the mountains of Virginia. I liked the bike. It was in stock form and if I owned it I would have made some minor ergonomic changes like bar risers and such, but it did not need much in the comfort department. I really like the feel of the engine. It seemed like a bike that I could add to the garage. The biggest reason that I did not buy one is the simple fact that for road work the E-Glide takes care of my needs and for anything other than gravel road work, the big GS is not really the tool for the job (for my skill level that is).

I am happy that there are some many choices in the motorcycle world. I also realize that with all of the choices out there, there will be folks that ride whatever suits their fancy. I am happy that have found the bike that suits them. I have found the one that best suits me, but I am always thinking about trying out the other options. I just like motorcycles no matter what company makes them. I am currently waiting for a demo day to take a ride on the Yamaha Super Tenere.

BTW, I am the guy on the Harley with stock mufflers, Motoport gear, and Nolan N43. We do not all fit the mold no matter what brand we ride.

Ride on, my friends.
hvMULEwiltrvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:58 AM   #51
Doubleplay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
That must be the reason they had 56% of the market in 2011. Go figure.
I'm assuming you are talking about the US market where most people are after a lifestyle or image and have no idea about the other brands or motorcycles in general.
Same as the car market where the best selling vehicle is a F 150 pick up truck
Harley is not even close to %50 market share in the world.
Are you kidding me?

Doubleplay screwed with this post 03-28-2012 at 07:03 AM
Doubleplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:00 AM   #52
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
Some people legitimately just like Harley's. They aren't just drinking koolaid, and they know there stuff, and they just like things that a Harley gives them. Nothing wrong with that. But there are some that are clueless and dress like pirates and drink koolaid. But all types of bikes have there share of posers.

I like to have a cruiser in my stable, but Harley's don't do it for me (except for old ones) so I don't buy one. It's funny, when I had my Shadow Aero, some lady actually saw it and told me her husband had the same one at home, a Harley Something Something.... I didn't even correct her that mine was a Honda.
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #53
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
Riding a GL1200 Goldwing right now. Rented a newish Electra Glide for a few days down in the Black Hills. Very nice bike. Much better riding position (I'm 6'3") than the GL. Comfy seat, great build and materials quality. But damn that sucker is hot in town when it's 100+ degrees. There's a lot to be said for water cooling. Something like a Vstrom 1000 engine in an Electra Glide would be nice. And would cause pirates to froth at the mouth as an additional bonus.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #54
Matchanu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worroll View Post
But all types of bikes have there share of posers.

You should ride by Coffee at Dawn in Ceder Crest on the weekends, parking lot is full of adventure type bikes with guys in the full costume. Very few of them actualy go anywere but to the coffee shop and back home again.

Whatever, it's makes them happy so I could give a rats ass.
Matchanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #55
BUZZARD II
Old Geezer

Oddometer: 478
Been riding 50 years, legal for 45. I've owned about everything at one time or another. Always seem to come back to a Harley. Last one I had that leaked oil was in '79 a shovelhead and yeah, it was AMF.

As a retired police sergeant who has time on the police Kawasaki, Beemer and Harley, I would take the FLHTP anyday for all day comfort and city handling. Go to a police rodeo or motor-school graduation to see what they can really do. Some of the comments here show me an awful lot of you guys don't know $#!+.

No they are not dirt bikes, dual sports or road racers. But they do fill another spot very well. That's city patrol and long distance touring. With gas pushing $5 a gallon in some places my FLHTC gets 47 mpg. My FLHTP got 50 mpg. My 1800 Wing got 37. Was the Wing faster and handle better at high speeds? Yeah. But it sucked gas and was a dog cranking 17 foot circles. Had a Ducati too. Every rider should own one once. Mine lasted 9 months. But it was fun even though I never took it anywhere.

Before you bash Harleys or any other brand, put a couple a hundred thousand miles under your ass.

As to the marketing, I don't own one black tee shirt. The only thing I own that says Harley on it is the bike.
BUZZARD II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #56
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by tri650 View Post
If you are seriously looking at a Road King disregard everything I just said above and buy mine. Great deal - and I'll even throw in a quart of oil for when you need to replenish on the road.

Now THAT'S an ad.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #57
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchanu View Post

Whatever, it's makes them happy so I could give a rats ass.

True dat.
BigIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:19 AM   #58
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
For some reason the pirates think loud is powerful and fast. If you want fast get a Hayabusa or ZX14R and leave it stock.
Did that. Still like my slightly modded FXR with SuperTrapps.
BigIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:21 AM   #59
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,388
I hate mindless Harley bashing. Harley make nice bikes....just too damn expensive for my budget.

Bikes are like shoes. Different ones for different activities.

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:44 AM   #60
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUZZARD II View Post
Before you bash Harleys or any other brand, put a couple a hundred thousand miles under your ass.
I don't have to be miserable for a couple hundred thousand miles to know I don't like a bike, regardless of brand.

Renting a Harley for a day and 400 miles was all the time I needed to know they don't build a bike that fits me, or my intended use. Of course neither does Honda at the moment, but I can't remember ever reading/hearing a bunch of whining about bashing Honda because of it.

The BMW guys must be glad the Harley collective, and Stromers are here on this forum to take the pressure of of them for being the most obnoxious whining defenders....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is online now   Reply With Quote