Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #106
nskitts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec90t View Post
A lot of those old hardleys were refited with electric start that's the reason why I made my comment. I've riden a few of the early "steamers" (old hardley slang for TITN) and found them lacking even compared to a 750 Four.

When I speak of 100 rwhp, I'm refering to Rear Wheel Horse Power. That's the true measure, no at some mythical rated crank. And I'm talking about these numbers being generated on 87 octane fuel with zero runabilty issues. Oh yeah, the engine is stock and the pipes quiet. The engine is quite torqey and quite happy pulling from 2K rpms in any gear. How about the adjustable suspension and the brakes? I'll bet you are going to tell me that the brakes on a hardley are as good as the ones on the FJR. Then you are going to tell me how the suspension is just as good and refined as the stock FJR's is.

I'll stand behind my original statement, the more you know about motorcycles the less you want a hardley.
It sounds like the FJR is a smart choice, I wished I would have better informed. In fact, it seems that hundreds of thousands of people must be less informed than you.

All in all, I think what you have missed is the point.

nskitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:39 PM   #107
tri650 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Forgot one thing. Don't EVER question my riding experience. I have been riding longer than most people have been on this earth. I do more miles in a year than most do in a lifetime. I have owned over 50 different bikes over the last 25 years and have test ridden just about every bike made. I have raced bikes, built bikes, rebuilt bikes and restored classics. I know bikes.

So, before you make a complete ass out of yourself and question my riding experience get the facts. Jeez. Why people feel the need to act fucking superior is beyond my comprehension.
tri650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #108
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,501
Laugh Wow... All that riding and still ignorant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri650 View Post
Forgot one thing. Don't EVER question my riding experience. I have been riding longer than most people have been on this earth. I do more miles in a year than most do in a lifetime. I have owned over 50 different bikes over the last 25 years and have test ridden just about every bike made. I have raced bikes, built bikes, rebuilt bikes and restored classics. I know bikes.

So, before you make a complete ass out of yourself and question my riding experience get the facts. Jeez. Why people feel the need to act fucking superior is beyond my comprehension.

(feet forward riding is not for me either)

DAKEZ screwed with this post 03-29-2012 at 08:19 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #109
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by nskitts View Post
It sounds like the FJR is a smart choice, I wished I would have better informed. In fact, it seems that hundreds of thousands of people must be less informed than you.

All in all, I think what you have missed is the point.
Hundreds of thousands go to McDonald's every day, so what exactly is your point?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #110
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,293
Quote:
Huh, been on motorcycles since 1978 and even sold them for about 10 of those years. I've logged over 400K miles in that time and never once had the slightest inkling of buying a hardley.

Have I ridden them? Sure. Everything from a '56 panhead (no electric start and yes I kicked it) to a modern day FL twin cam. Would one reside in my garage if I had several bikes? Nope.

I have prerequisites for any street only motorcycle that resides in my garage. 1) It must make 100 rwhp. 2) It has to have a good set of brakes. 3) Adjustable suspension front and rear. 4) Must be able to run on 87 octane fuel. That's the list. Pretty easy and simple. Does hardley make anything that fits all four of those criteria? Nope! Does my FJR? Ohhhh yeeeaaahhhhhh

I should have noted that I buy and ride motorcycles, not lifestyles!
\

If your riding thoes bikes with the prerequisities predominately on the track, good on you. If your riding them predominately on the street and you need 100 rwhp, adjustable suspensions, etc., your are either riding way above the legal limits (which makes you a perpetual lawbreaker) or if you ride within the limits you are as much or more of a poser than the typical HD rider since at least the HD riders are more closely riding their bikes according to the intended design.

blk-betty screwed with this post 03-29-2012 at 08:17 PM
blk-betty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:14 PM   #111
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tallnwide View Post
Hundreds of thousands go to McDonald's every day, so what exactly is your point?
Hundreds of thousands find McDonalds a good value for their money and find the quality of the food reasonable enough to justify the price, so what excactly is YOUR point?

Are you suggesting that they don't have the ability to make cost vs. value judgements for food, or are you suggesting that since they actively choose McDonalds they are are some how inferior to those that choose other eating establishments.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #112
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
\

If your riding thoes bikes with the prerequisities predominately on the track, good on you. If your ridng them predominately on the street and you need 100 rwhp, adjustable suspesnons, etc., your are either riding way above the legal limits (which makes you a perpetual lawbreaker) or if you ride within the limits you as much or more of an poser than the typical HD rider since at least the HD riders are more closely riding their bikes according to the intended design.
No sense arguing with him. He thinks the FJR is the bomb.

An FJR is the PIG of Sport Touring bikes and would be on the bottom of my Sport Touring list. Don't get me wrong. I think the FJR is a fine bike but I would much rather have the BMW 1300 or even an FZ1. Both are better Sport Touring bikes.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #113
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
Brief hijack ...

Any of you H-D experts run radial tires on a bike with lace wheels, like a Road King Classic, for example?
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #114
Existence_Inc
The Wanderer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleplay View Post
I understand your point as far as the posers go but what were you wearing when you stop by that place?

I hope not a pirate oufit
No, I was dressed like the construction worker, trying to find the rest of the village people.

Existence_Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #115
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,259
Quote:
Hundreds of thousands find McDonalds a good value for their money and find the quality of the food reasonable enough to justify the price, so what excactly is YOUR point?

Are you suggesting that they don't have the ability to make cost vs. value judgements for food, or are you suggesting that since they actively choose McDonalds they are are some how inferior to those that choose other eating establishments.
Why not ask the person I quoted as well then?

Just because hundreds of thousands are sold doesn't mean the product is the best for everyone else, or that anyone else has to go along with the majority either, is my point.

Fads, convenient, cheap, etc, does not necessarily equate to what's best period....at least that's the way I see it. YMMV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #116
sixspeed
15 under Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Quote:

Quote:
I have logged a few miles on the TE 610 over the past month and here are my observations (my only comparison was my 97 KTM 250 EXC):

What I like - more than adequate power, stable, great sound out of that pipe, little noticable vibration, easy to work on

Minor niggles - seat is horrible - needs to be replaced. Flat spot at around 4800 - 5000 rpm. Feels heavy once off road.

No mods planned until I figure out what I plan on doing with the bike - trips, commute, general screwing around. Bought some Cycra handguards but yet to fit them to the bike.

I will say that my skills are not the greatest and with more experience I am sure the bike will more than meet my off road needs. I look forward to new adventures on the bike - although my dreams (Utah, Alaska, TAA) will probably be experienced vicariously through pics on this site.

This site has been great in terms of getting feedback and opinions. I have owned a long list of street bikes and been members of various sites but this rates at the top.
The reason that some folks like Harleys along with other brands.

After riding my 20 sumpin hp WR250R, the FLHP feels like a 300 whp Texas Mile Hayabusa.

Rob 2010 WR250R 2011 FLHP
sixspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #117
ec90t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
\

If your riding thoes bikes with the prerequisities predominately on the track, good on you. If your riding them predominately on the street and you need 100 rwhp, adjustable suspensions, etc., your are either riding way above the legal limits (which makes you a perpetual lawbreaker) or if you ride within the limits you are as much or more of a poser than the typical HD rider since at least the HD riders are more closely riding their bikes according to the intended design.
There you go making assuptions about something you know very little of, my riding. I very rarely ride more than 10 mph over the posted limits. When I do it is because I'm passing some lasargic 2 wheeled barge going 10 mph under the posted limit in their pirate gear. I do what is called "pace riding" I pick a speed (usaually 5 to 10 mph above the posted limit) and try to maintain that speed, within reason, no matter how sharp the turn.

I'm not one that guns it in the straights and cranks on the brakes going into the corner.

I need the suspension to make public roads smooth as possible. I need the brakes to avoid the idiot in the cage that pulls out in front of me. I want the 87 octane requirement so I can get fuel anywhere. I want the HP to pass safely in a short distance. Beside, I can have all that, and a lot more, for less than the most basic hardley twin cam.

If you want to ride your hardley within its realm, then stay on the straight roads at 10 mph under the posted limit. Leave the nice curvey stuff for those of us that choose to ride bikes that were made for it.
ec90t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #118
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
There you go making assuptions about something you know very little of, my riding. I very rarely ride more than 10 mph over the posted limits.

If you want to ride your hardley within its realm, then stay on the straight roads at 10 mph under the posted limit. Leave the nice curvey stuff for those of us that choose to ride bikes that were made for it.
This is the rider not the bike. If you indeed ride the way you posted above I know several people that would be leaving you behind all withing the realm of their touring Harleys.

Do you get out of the way and let them by?
Old 03-29-2012, 08:52 PM   #119
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:

its the internet my friend

people will tell you your shit sucks when it doesnt, they will tell you, that they can outride you, when they cant, and they will give great advice on bikes they never had, or even rode.

C'est la vie
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #120
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargev55 View Post
its the internet my friend

people will tell you your shit sucks when it doesnt, they will tell you, that they can outride you, when they cant, and they will give great advice on bikes they never had, or even rode.

C'est la vie

And they will tell you:

"I have been riding longer than most people have been on this earth. I do more miles in a year than most do in a lifetime..."

Who the fuck cares if you are still too stupid to know that the HD bashing happens on Fridays?