Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #121
ec90t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
This is the rider not the bike. If you indeed ride the way you posted above I know several people that would be leaving you behind all withing the realm of their touring Harleys.

Do you get out of the way and let them by?
I've never been passed by a hardley or had one approach me within' my mirrors. Not even on my old '88 VMAX which was an ill handling pig! How would they ever get within earshod of me unless they were speeding excessively on public roads? This is a big no-no in my book. There are plenty of closed course venues in this country to ride ones' motorcycle at greater than public road speeds. Public roads are not a racetrack and should never be treated like one.

2013 Super Tenere
2003 KLX400R
ec90t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:59 PM   #122
Doubleplay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
This is the rider not the bike. If you indeed ride the way you posted above I know several people that would be leaving you behind all withing the realm of their touring Harleys.

Do you get out of the way and let them by?
LOL.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:02 PM   #123
sixspeed
15 under Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec90t View Post
I've never been passed by a hardley....
It's getting piled higher and deeper.

Rob 2010 WR250R 2011 FLHP
sixspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #124
ec90t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixspeed View Post
It's getting piled higher and deeper.
All that needs to be said about hardley is that they are building trikes in house now. That ought to tell you something about their clientele. To borrow a phrase, from a gentleman much wiser than me, "I'd like to dual you in a battle of wits, but I see you are unarmed". With that I'm done with this thread.

Make sure to post a picture of yourself, on a hardley, passing me . It'll be an historic event!

2013 Super Tenere
2003 KLX400R
ec90t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #125
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,421
Quote:
This is a big no-no in my book. There are plenty of closed course venues in this country to ride ones' motorcycle at greater than public road speeds. Public roads are not a racetrack and should never be treated like one.
Not everyone rides like you do. You say you like "10 over" Maybe they like 15 over or 20 over.

Generally I am with you on the 10 over thing. I also do 20-25 over on some of my favorite roads. I am always respectful and never just blast by people. I pass at a speed that is IMO reasonable and prudent.

Quote:
I've never been passed by a hardley or had one approach me within' my mirrors. .
No "Hardley"...Only Harley Davidson's

You should get up here to the NW and ride some... Just be ready to wave by the Harley Davidson’s when you are holding them up. And it is OK to pass the "Hardley a rider" types.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 03-29-2012 at 10:13 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:21 PM   #126
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
A lot of those old hardleys were refited with electric start that's the reason why I made my comment. I've riden a few of the early "steamers" (old hardley slang for TITN) and found them lacking even compared to a 750 Four.

When I speak of 100 rwhp, I'm refering to Rear Wheel Horse Power. That's the true measure, no at some mythical rated crank. And I'm talking about these numbers being generated on 87 octane fuel with zero runabilty issues. Oh yeah, the engine is stock and the pipes quiet. The engine is quite torqey and quite happy pulling from 2K rpms in any gear. How about the adjustable suspension and the brakes? I'll bet you are going to tell me that the brakes on a hardley are as good as the ones on the FJR. Then you are going to tell me how the suspension is just as good and refined as the stock FJR's is.

I'll stand behind my original statement, the more you know about motorcycles the less you want a hardley.

wtf do you need 120hp for on a standard daily bike for? granted, i would not complain, i put 8000 miles in a year and a half on a honda rebel with OMG 18 crank horsepower and 8ft torgue, current bike has 72whp/76tq, thats 0-60 in low 4's or high 3's and 1/4 mile at low 12 or high 11, exactly how fast does your bike need to be for you to feel 'safe' on the street?

also, running 87 octane on your motor with 10.8:1 compression???? not what i would be doing, my compression ratio is the same as yours.

im not on your side and im not against it, but by your needs you have written off so many great bikes from so many manufacturers its not even funny, because they dont have 100whp, adjustable suspension, or run on 87oct. thats just stupid, considering that immediately writes off stuff like the sv650, mid level monsters, just about every moto guzzi, and a ton of other good stuff.
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #127
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,309
Quote:
"I'd like to dual you in a battle of wits, but I see you are unarmed".
The word is "duel". It looks pretty stupid when you can't use the correct words in your smart ass remarks.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #128
nskitts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tallnwide View Post
Why not ask the person I quoted as well then?

Just because hundreds of thousands are sold doesn't mean the product is the best for everyone else, or that anyone else has to go along with the majority either, is my point.

Fads, convenient, cheap, etc, does not necessarily equate to what's best period....at least that's the way I see it. YMMV.
Well then you agree with me, it's just that you don't realize it.

nskitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:30 PM   #129
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by nskitts View Post
Well then you agree with me, it's just that you don't realize it.
big mac with extra sauce,

hell yes!

but then i take a dirty shit the next day

are we still talking about mcdonalds?
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:32 PM   #130
Headshot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
I hate mindless Harley bashing. Harley make nice bikes....just too damn expensive for my budget.

Bikes are like shoes. Different ones for different activities.
This has to be my favorite post so far....I have ridden Harley since 1985, BMW GS series since 1980, have had dozens of Jap bikes, 2 Moto Guzzi's, 1 Ducati Monster(wish I still had that one...)....in fact, sold my last R1100GS with 217k on her. I am buying another Harley, this time a Road Glide because I want one and because I can. Just like shoes...some wear inexpensive shoes, some Florsheims...me? I wear Luchese boots because they fit my feet the best....I ride Harley because it fits the best.

I have had less repair work done on my last 3 Harleys combined then I have had done on my last 2 Jap bikes. It has nothing to do with the brand, just that particular brand. There is a lot of GS bashing in some threads here, but those 217k miles on my 100GS were as trouble-free as any bike. Just add tires, oil, gas, and somewhere to go. Moto Guzzi? Loved them, although they spent more time at the shop then in my garage.

Bike bashing is usually done from jealousy, ignorance, peer pressure, prejudice....or all 4....I just like to ride. What do you ride? Great, let's go somewhere far for lunch.....
Headshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #131
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by davevv View Post
The word is "duel". It looks pretty stupid when you can't use the correct words in your smart ass remarks.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:04 PM   #132
Boxer-lust
Banned

Oddometer: 528
tri650 you are not alone.I made the same mistake and asked myself the same question as you a good 20 years ago when I bought the then sportiest Harley,a 1992 FXRS.
Back then I was tired of valve and chain adjustment of my then beloved Kawasaki inline fours and the hydraulic valves and belt drive appealed to me.But no power,lack of ground clearance and too upright seating was even less appealing...
3 weeks later I was back on the other side riding real bikes and never looked back...
You live and learn.
Boxer-lust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:59 PM   #133
EetsOK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargev55 View Post
big mac with extra sauce,

hell yes!

but then i take a dirty shit the next day

are we still talking about mcdonalds?
Dirty shit? You mean there is clean shit?
Sorry you lost me......
Old 03-30-2012, 12:41 AM   #134
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by EetsOK View Post
Dirty shit? You mean there is clean shit?
Sorry you lost me......
Well there are those shits where ya only need one pass with the paper...

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:15 AM   #135
KradmelderSA
Banned

Oddometer: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamloopsrider View Post
Okay, who says you can't ride a Harley down gravel roads? It's not the majority of my riding or the reason I own a Harley, but I've put a fair number of miles on gravel roads.
I'm an old fart (57) and grew up riding any bike, anywhere. We've gotten so brainwashed that we now believe we need 6 different bikes in the garage.
We fill up the empty spaces in our lives with material things instead of spending the money on experiences.
Find a bike that suits the majority of your riding and ride the friggin' thing. Never mind what or how the other guy rides, or what someone says you need in order to ride. You get better by riding under less than ideal conditions, not by having the perfect gear and ideally suited bike. I have a big heavy bike that is a dream to ride long distances on pavement, it's a handful on gravel but that doesn't stop me from doing it.
The nice part about it is when I finally get where we're going the Vstrom guys have camp set up.
will your harley go on this?

KradmelderSA is offline   Reply With Quote