User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2015, 05:38 AM   #1
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,250
The hipster motorcycle thing

I started a thread a few weeks ago asking for suggestions for a young couple that want to tour all over on what they consider a "cool" bike. I used the label "hipster" but not really sure what that really means exactly. Sounds like for some, it's a negative connotation, but I didn't mean it that way. Seems to me it's just a style of a lot of young people these days.

Since starting that thread, I've paid a little more attention to what many of us older folks might call hipsters and the motorcycles they ride. I've been impressed with the passion these young folks are showing for motorcycles and some of the things they are doing (Like taking old bikes, fixing them up and touring all over).

There is a thriving moto-culture among the young in-town folks here in Atlanta. Here is one company some of them started. It's an old warehouse and coffee shop where they have tools and you can rent space to go work on your bike. https://www.facebook.com/brothermoto

I think these young folks are a great addition to our moto community and with their youthful energy, they can remind us of of the simple passion for adventure. Ride on young brothers and sisters!

mikem9 screwed with this post 05-11-2015 at 08:18 AM
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:07 AM   #2
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 4,300
Old 05-11-2015, 07:14 AM   #3
TortillaJesus
Authentic

Oddometer: 3,751
Old 05-11-2015, 07:20 AM   #4
greatbeard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
That coffee shop/do it yourself garage is a brilliant idea.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:28 AM   #5
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,990
Your original post was an interesting exercise, everybody mentioned some of their favorite rides and we all got exposed to maybe some we hadn't thought about in a while or ever. That's a good thing, it's a good time to be a motorcyclist!

There are lots of ways to enjoy two wheels. I may not want to ride a UJM with clip-ons (mostly cause it would wreck my back for weeks afterward.) but more power to those that do.

I think most of the hipster womens look pretty fine but the guys all look sort of phoney. Still, if that look gets them laid then I guess everything's working according to plan. Humanity will survive even this...
woodnbow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:41 AM   #6
wecsoger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Those pictures make my eyes want to turn inside out. (grin)

However, if someone wants to roll on two wheels (cycle/scooter) or even three, I give not a f* and I'll still wave as I go by. (even to the HD folk)

Interesting on the coffee shop/maker space concept. Nearby here in Dayton OH there's one, Proto BuildBar there's one with a full complement of 3-D printers, fully kitted electronics work benches, food, coffee and microbrews.

(alcohol and soldering irons - what could possibly go wrong?!?)

I'm working on my Old Curmudgeon badge Second Class and I heartily approve.

Just could see myself sitting with a double espresso and chocolate biscotti watching some sleeved out young guy tearing into a '63 BMW.
wecsoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:54 AM   #7
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem9 View Post
I started a thread a few weeks ago asking for suggestions for a young couple that want to tour all over on what they consider a "cool" bike. I used the label "hipster" but not really sure what that really means exactly. Sounds like for some, it's a negative connotation, but I didn't mean it that way. Seems to me it's just a style of a lot of young people these days.

Since starting that thread, I've paid a little more attention to what many of us older folks might call hipsters and the motorcycles they ride. I've been impressed with the passion these young folks are showing for motorcycles and some of the things they are doing (Like taking old bikes, fixing them up and touring all over).

There is a thriving moto-culture among the young in-town folks here in Atlanta. Here is one company some of them started. It's an old warehouse and coffee shop where they have tools and you can rent space to go work on your bike. https://www.facebook.com/brothermoto

I think these young folks are a great addition to our moto community and with their youthful energy, they can remind us of of the simple passion for adventure. Ride on young brothers and sisters!
Looks like they have a cool shop, lots of artists there it appears.
mrphotoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:53 AM   #8
Slingin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TortillaJesus View Post
This picture has a different tone to it if you ask me. Not so much hipster, but rather something else.
Slingin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:10 AM   #9
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,771
You think?
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:26 PM   #10
farqhuar
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 1,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin View Post
This picture has a different tone to it if you ask me. Not so much hipster, but rather something else.
It's the cross hanging from his neck that weirds me out.
farqhuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:28 PM   #11
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,944
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:44 PM   #12
CanadianRocky
Riding since 1968

Oddometer: 524
Harley has two motorcycles aimed directly at hipsters. The new 500 and 750. I am sure those bikes will replace the sportster line up eventually. So in effect they will be pruning the next generation of Big Block owners. It just might end up being as brilliant a marketing plan as the Harley Owners Group was.

CanadianRocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:07 PM   #13
stevo7706
Banned

Oddometer: 106
Quote:

Looks like something out of a Pottery Barn magazine.
stevo7706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:22 PM   #14
Cliffjord
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
I used the label "hipster" but not really sure what that really means exactly.
Waiting in line at the parts counter of a local Honda dealer outside PDX, only to have the guy in front of you ask the 20 yo clerk if they had spark plugs in stock for a Bultaco. After the "da hell is a Bultaco?" response, then proceed to show off your duct tape patched 70's Bell helmet you've custom fit the insides with some new packing styrofoam and ask if they have any vintage gear in the back.

I looked around for the cameras and fred armisen but they weren't there.
Cliffjord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:28 PM   #15
TortillaJesus
Authentic

Oddometer: 3,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin View Post
When dealing with a hipster, all bets are off. The nature of the hipster's penchant for the super recockulous would yield a better than average chance that this bozo is as hetero as Hugh Hefner.