Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #181
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSTes1300 View Post
That's not too good for a CT. I have 8k on a Hankook, on a ST 1300 and its looks almost new. I expect ~20 out of it.
Make sure you read the entire post as there are real good reasons it wore out in 13-14K miles. Like I said, I've been extremely hard on this tire,,,,,, sort of a "worst case scenerio" type deally. To put that 13K in perspective,,,,, a705 or a Tourance woulda been hard pressed to give 3-4K miles if subjected to the same conditions that the CT was subjected to. Also, I ran some fairly low pressures with it as most of the time it was between 20-25psi and many times, it was below that when I aired it down when off tarmac then was lazy about airing back up.

Had I upped the air pressure to between 25-30psi and rode it under less harsh conditions I have no doubt it would have lasted much longer. Just like with the Tourances and 705s, mileage varies greatly depending on how used. I have toasted 705s in 4K miles when used around the house playing alot and running low pressures {like I did with this particular CT} but on the other hand, I've had 705s go 8-9K miles when aired up and treated to easy conditions {touring mode}.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #182
gryphon51
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikefree View Post
Seven pages and still no answer to the original question. A couple people gave their guesses at CT size. One person entered a report on his experience with CTs on a DL1000 and didn't give a tire size.

Can someone who has run the darkside on a strom give this poor guy and answer and not just an opinion?
205/17 50 or 55 will work

for the record, I have ridden over 100,000 kms on car tires on my MC's almost 80.000 km's on the Vstrom alone...

anyone who thinks they can outcorner me on their DL1000 because of their tires is welcome to try.

as for those loosers calling me stupid for doing so..... I get over 40,000km's to a tire that costs me just over 100 dollars, and has a bigger useful profile on and off road than any combination of two MC tires...
frankly, you all are kinda stupid for dismissing this so out of hand......

2009 DL1000 VStrom

Founding Member
Suzuki Owners Club of North America
gryphon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:50 PM   #183
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,028
There is a reason they make car tires and motorcycle tires. Running a car tire on a motorcycle is stupid as hell. There are a lot of stupid people out there that do that exact stupid thing and many other stupid things as well. That is what keeps life entertaining though lol.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:17 PM   #184
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post
There is a reason they make car tires and motorcycle tires. Running a car tire on a motorcycle is stupid as hell. There are a lot of stupid people out there that do that exact stupid thing and many other stupid things as well. That is what keeps life entertaining though lol.

Blue Skies Coming
Old 05-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #185
MXG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
So, a Goldwing 1800 came in today for an oil change, on the back was a ct. Curiosity got the best of me and after the tech finished I volunteered to drive it over to the warehouse until it was picked up. Just as I suspected, THE worst handling piece of crap I have ever ridden. Scary.
MXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #186
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

So, some dumbass went to yappin on the forum today. Curiousity got the best of me and against my better judgement, I read his drivel anyway. I read that he made an instant decision based on one experience and alot of preconcieved notions. He musta made one hell of a highy impartial observation!
Blue Skies Coming
Old 05-22-2013, 05:20 AM   #187
MXG
Adventurer

Only 25+ years of working in m/c shops. Why did you call me a dumbass? I was stateing my opinion just as you did. Go ahead, run a car tire. No one will think any less of you.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:45 AM   #188
amk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphon51 View Post
and has a bigger useful profile on and off road than any combination of two MC tires...
I nearly wore out my General UHP, in 30K kms, now I'm looking for another car tire. UHP was good enough, but in dirt it lacks of grip, besides it is discontinued. There are plenty of tires of the similar profile, but finding "a bigger useful profile" is tricky, only options I see is in winter tires. What did you have used? Brand, model?
amk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:14 AM   #189
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXG View Post
So, a Goldwing 1800 came in today for an oil change, on the back was a ct. Curiosity got the best of me and after the tech finished I volunteered to drive it over to the warehouse until it was picked up. Just as I suspected, THE worst handling piece of crap I have ever ridden. Scary.
I wouldn't expect anyone to jump on a bike with a CT for the first time and go "wow" that was great. Especially a bike they are not familiar with. It's a definitely a different feeling early on, but you develop muscle memory for it and learn to trust it and it becomes much more natural feeling. Maybe it would never be for you, but your reaction doesn't surprise me from a one time ride on a bike that wasn't yours.

And I've actually ridden several different bikes with CT and depending on the CT and bike, tire pressure, etc, they all handle very differently. I haven't been on a GW with a CT, but I'm sure like many other bikes, the feeling varies a lot based on the bike itself, the actual CT profile, and the pressures they are running.

My DL650 with a 205/55-17 tire felt pretty good after I gained my confidence in the setup and got comfortable with pushing it. I played around a lot with tire pressures. Lower pressures felt better around town, but as speed and forces increased, the flex in the tire became more unnerving. Higher pressures = more steering input force around town, but feel more stable at speed and a much better feel when playing and pushing the tire hard in the twisties. A couple pounds makes a huge difference too.

Another buddy had a DL1000 with a 205/50-17 and his felt a little different, but overall the same general feeling and pretty natural and comfortable with it right away. 3rd buddy with an FJR1300 running a 205/50-17 felt way different and definitely not as "natural" feeling as the strom's did. Could be just because I wasn't used to riding an FJR? I think the stroms are one of the more "natural" feeling bikes with a CT on the back. The FJR guy got about 10k out of his first half worn used CT and just put a new one. He went with a different brand this time, but still the 205/50-17 and he said his 2nd tire was way easier to mount. He's about to head up and do the TransLab on his setup, so we'll see when he gets back how it did for him. He's got two FJR's, the older one he rides solo with the CT. The newer one, he keeps a normal tire on to ride 2up with his Wife.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 05-22-2013 at 08:48 AM
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:45 AM   #190
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,813
I had the General Exclaim UHP 205/55-17 on my DL650 and I think that is probably the better size to run on a strom as its a bit taller than a stock tire, but unfortunately, it's also not a very common size, so tires in this size are hard to find. A bunch of the Strom guys were able to pick up the UHP's when they were on closeout a year or two ago, but now being discontinued, they are very hard to find. It's unfortunate, as that tire worked great on the Strom's. The 205/55-17's also seem to be easier to mount with more sidewall flex.

My buddy dave chose a 205/50-17 tire to run on his DL1000 and that was a "wide" tire and a major PITA to put on as I helped him put it on. I don't think all 205/50 tires are created equal though as that was one wide 205 tire. Once on though, it actually worked pretty well, but the 205/50 size is a smaller diameter than stock, so you can lose some ground clearance. The DL1000 actually has more room in the swingarm for a wider tire than the DL650, so those looking for the DL650, be aware that you need to be aware of the width of the tire. There is no way that 205/50-17 he mounted up on his DL1000 would have fit my DL650. If you have to go with a 205/50-17 on a DL650, then try to find the most narrow one you can, to guarantee it fits.

I actually bought my UHP used from a guy that ran a hack. It had 5k miles on it when I bought it and I put about another 5k on it before I took it off. It still is only about half worn, so lots of life left. It will easily be a 20k mile tire.

My reasoning for trying the CT was just to see for myself if I liked it or not and not go off "internet" comments from people with no experience condemning this setup with no personal experience. I'm very glad I tried it and overall, IMOP it works well for someone that puts on lots of street miles and doesn't want to be changing tires all the time. Traction is phenomenal and handling is fairly good once you become comfortable with the tire and find the pressures that work for you. Mileage on the tires is also exceptional and depending on the tire you choose, the cost can be pretty low. If I was commuting back and forth to work or going to run a long trip, I'd run one in a heart beat. Even in the twisties, I found myself pretty comfortable running up to about 95% and really pushing it. Where I had an issue with the CT for me was off road. The tire has lots of traction in some places when it can bite down, but in more difficult terrain, it tends to "deflect" off obstacles much more abruptly. Like Judd said, the extra unsprung weight overwhelms the rear shock, especially on washboard type terrain. It probably doesn't help that my rear shock is pretty worn already. I also experienced the rear end swinging back and forth when you charge a corner really hard and then lock up the rear.

I took of my CT before a week long trip to WV late last year and went back to a 705 front/rear, but once again, in 4500 miles that rear tire was done. The fronts on the other hand never wear out. Personally, I think I'm done with the 705's. Between, the vague front tire feel, and the rears just wear too quickly, I'm just ready to try something different.

I traded my Buddy Dave I mentioned above my used CT and front 705 for a used set of TKC80's which I ran last weekend for the Vstrom Rally and promptly killed the rear TKC in about 1k miles. Now waiting in my garage is the Heidenau K60 scout to mount up. I've been eyeing this tire for awhile and really want to run it, but its a $200 tire so we'll see how I feel once I wear through this one. I might decide the cheap 705's are worth it? Think I'm going to leave the TKC front on and see how that combo works and that should give me some good fun off road and on road. I've heard some great mileage reports from these K60 tires on bigger bikes in the 150 size with the center stripe, so I want to see how I do with it. I'm hard on tires, so I'm sure I'll be on the lower end of the mileage scale, but I've got a buddy that's got 15k+ on his K60 on a 1200 GS Adventure. If I get 10k, I think I'll be happy. 8K will be doable, but anything less and I'll be disappointed I spent $200 and got less than 8k miles on a tire.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 05-22-2013 at 08:50 AM
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #191
dwc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Revisiting this topic.

I brought it up on the UK V-Strom site and was villified for even daring to think of going to the dark side.

It is illegal to use a car tyre on a motorcycle, unless an outfit, in the UK.

dwc
dwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #192
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXG View Post
Only 25+ years of working in m/c shops. Why did you call me a dumbass? I was stateing my opinion just as you did. Go ahead, run a car tire. No one will think any less of you.

Hey man, I was just playiing around alot like mrdorkman does thinking it was fun type banter. I assumed you would read it as such. I was wrong and really didn't mean to hurt your feeling and I apologise for that.

Saying that-
I think you came into this with preconcieved notions {I did too}, figured it would handle like crap and when it did for whatever reason,,, you ran with it. One singular experience or data point isn't enough to make a judgement IMO. What was the pressure? Pressure plays a huge role on how the CT feels and if you read my posts, my first ride was the same as yours but I kept plugging away and experimenting with the air pressure till I found a happy medium and honestly man, once you find that spot, it's honesly not bad. Also, I have the feeling you only experienced the very low speed aspect of it and once again, pressure plays a huge role in that.
Blue Skies Coming
Old 05-22-2013, 02:09 PM   #193
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
I had the General Exclaim UHP 205/55-17 on my DL650 and I think that is probably the better size to run on a strom as its a bit taller than a stock tire, but unfortunately, it's also not a very common size, so tires in this size are hard to find. A bunch of the Strom guys were able to pick up the UHP's when they were on closeout a year or two ago, but now being discontinued, they are very hard to find. It's unfortunate, as that tire worked great on the Strom's. The 205/55-17's also seem to be easier to mount with more sidewall flex.

My buddy dave chose a 205/50-17 tire to run on his DL1000 and that was a "wide" tire and a major PITA to put on as I helped him put it on. I don't think all 205/50 tires are created equal though as that was one wide 205 tire. Once on though, it actually worked pretty well, but the 205/50 size is a smaller diameter than stock, so you can lose some ground clearance. The DL1000 actually has more room in the swingarm for a wider tire than the DL650, so those looking for the DL650, be aware that you need to be aware of the width of the tire. There is no way that 205/50-17 he mounted up on his DL1000 would have fit my DL650. If you have to go with a 205/50-17 on a DL650, then try to find the most narrow one you can, to guarantee it fits.

I actually bought my UHP used from a guy that ran a hack. It had 5k miles on it when I bought it and I put about another 5k on it before I took it off. It still is only about half worn, so lots of life left. It will easily be a 20k mile tire.

My reasoning for trying the CT was just to see for myself if I liked it or not and not go off "internet" comments from people with no experience condemning this setup with no personal experience. I'm very glad I tried it and overall, IMOP it works well for someone that puts on lots of street miles and doesn't want to be changing tires all the time. Traction is phenomenal and handling is fairly good once you become comfortable with the tire and find the pressures that work for you. Mileage on the tires is also exceptional and depending on the tire you choose, the cost can be pretty low. If I was commuting back and forth to work or going to run a long trip, I'd run one in a heart beat. Even in the twisties, I found myself pretty comfortable running up to about 95% and really pushing it. Where I had an issue with the CT for me was off road. The tire has lots of traction in some places when it can bite down, but in more difficult terrain, it tends to "deflect" off obstacles much more abruptly. Like Judd said, the extra unsprung weight overwhelms the rear shock, especially on washboard type terrain. It probably doesn't help that my rear shock is pretty worn already. I also experienced the rear end swinging back and forth when you charge a corner really hard and then lock up the rear.

I took of my CT before a week long trip to WV late last year and went back to a 705 front/rear, but once again, in 4500 miles that rear tire was done. The fronts on the other hand never wear out. Personally, I think I'm done with the 705's. Between, the vague front tire feel, and the rears just wear too quickly, I'm just ready to try something different.

I traded my Buddy Dave I mentioned above my used CT and front 705 for a used set of TKC80's which I ran last weekend for the Vstrom Rally and promptly killed the rear TKC in about 1k miles. Now waiting in my garage is the Heidenau K60 scout to mount up. I've been eyeing this tire for awhile and really want to run it, but its a $200 tire so we'll see how I feel once I wear through this one. I might decide the cheap 705's are worth it? Think I'm going to leave the TKC front on and see how that combo works and that should give me some good fun off road and on road. I've heard some great mileage reports from these K60 tires on bigger bikes in the 150 size with the center stripe, so I want to see how I do with it. I'm hard on tires, so I'm sure I'll be on the lower end of the mileage scale, but I've got a buddy that's got 15k+ on his K60 on a 1200 GS Adventure. If I get 10k, I think I'll be happy. 8K will be doable, but anything less and I'll be disappointed I spent $200 and got less than 8k miles on a tire.

Great post and when you try the K60s,,,,, please chime in again and let me know as we seem to ride roughly the same and get the same sorta mileage.
Blue Skies Coming
Old 05-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #194
MXG
Adventurer

No worries. Service manager and an ex wife. Been called pretty much everything at one point in my day.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #195
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphon51 View Post
frankly, you all are kinda stupid for dismissing this so out of hand......
yep. When I first heard about it years ago, I said WTF thats crazy that can't work. Then I read about it. Then I bought one.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote