Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #61
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by azgsa View Post
and keeps it aired to 45psi "so it gets a bubble in the middle" meaning a more round profile.

Judging by the condition of that motor cycle, I would not listen to any advice or comment he about operating or maintaining a motorcycle. or anything else, now that I thought a bit about it.

over inflating a tire to make it bulge in the middle is like a death wish and the proof is the oil pouring out of the front end.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #62
azgsa
Apathetic

Oddometer: 1,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post

Judging by the condition of that motor cycle, I would not listen to any advice or comment he about operating or maintaining a motorcycle. or anything else, now that I thought a bit about it.

over inflating a tire to make it bulge in the middle is like a death wish and the proof is the oil pouring out of the front end.
Death wish huh?

Perhaps I should have called the national suicide prevention hotline.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #63
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,044
Quote:
Well wouldn't ya know it, visited the local Ace Hardware store today and low and behold a Darksider was lurking right in front. I was checking it out and the guy walked out and we talked a bit. He has a 155/80-15 mounted on his steed and keeps it aired to 45psi "so it gets a bubble in the middle" meaning a more round profile. He said he's had it on for a thousand miles and reports the "cornering ain't as good but in a straight line when you whack it, it grips like a mofo" Said there's only one place in town (PHX area) that would mount it, Bob's Used Cycles. If you're familiar with Bob's that would make sense.

Anyway, I'm really understanding this car tire thing better after my close encounter of the Darksider kind today...

Pictures are worth a thousand words.

LMAO he looks just like I would picture a "darkside rider" lol! Stupid is as stupid does

Now that is funny as hell, thanks for the photo of one of these genius "darksiders" that think they know more than motorcycle manufacturers, tire manufacturers or even an 8 year old for that matter. You will never be able to reason with one of these idiots. They will continue to convince themselves that their car tires make their bikes handle great and are safe. Some people you just can not help. All we can do is point and laugh at them and hope they do not kill an innocent person when they eventually crash.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #64
100mpg
This sentance intent

Quote:
Death wish huh?

Perhaps I should have called the national suicide prevention hotline.
If you you have those types of thoughts, you should call.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #65
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,191
Dang,,,,, I was wondering how long it would take the peanut gallery folk to bring up the "What if" and "but, but,,,,, but think about the children" arguments.

Ohhhhhh myyyyyy,,,,, the atmosphere will catch fire, the sky will fall, kittens maimed and nuns will die. REPENT,,,,,, REPEENNNNNT YOUR EVIL WAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:19 AM   #66
dwc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
I don't know much about the subject, but saw this thread and decided to mention the subject on a UK VStrom site. The topic was met with much the same derision.

DWC
dwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #67
sect8dr
ride them all

Oddometer: 230
Michelin

Michelin has the new CommanderII tire and it is supposed to last 20,000+ miles on a rear. Much better than a car tire even if it was designed to go on a heavy ass cruiser
sect8dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #68
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sect8dr View Post
Michelin has the new CommanderII tire and it is supposed to last 20,000+ miles on a rear. Much better than a car tire even if it was designed to go on a heavy ass cruiser
Gonna have to check on it to see if they offer it in a DL size {150 section 17 inch rim} because that's exactly why I decided to experiment with the CT. Basically, I needed a tire that would last an easy 15K miles, two-up and heavily loaded. Had nothing to do at all with being cheap,,,, though you couldn't get the peanut gallery dumbasses to understand or acknowledge that. They would always have some sorta witty, wonderful {or maybe not so witty nor wonderful but you couldn't tell em that either} argument for that too.
Blue Skies Coming
Old 04-09-2012, 12:27 AM   #69
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,689
The Dumb-siders will never admit that they are wrong so there is really no arguing with them. That said you should always post in these threads the folly of it. Friends don't let friends go to the Dumb-side.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:09 AM   #70
bandito2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
OK, I'll bite ... ... Here's something to make the trolls gnash their teeth about. Normally I don't do this because it goes counter to what I tell fellow "darksiders" but I will repeat it again:

Words of wisdom to the intrepid souls that decide to use a car tire or any other modifications they may make to their bike for that matter: Be bold. Experiment. But do so informed as well as you can be and know that consequences for really bad decisions can be dangerous and damaging and ideas that are successful are worth sharing.
And I also say GO FOR IT!!!
If it works out, then good for you. It won't matter what anyone else says when you KNOW you are right about your decision. Be quietly satisfied with yourself, speak honestly and modestly of your success and let the naysayers eat crow.
Having said that, here goes anyway

I was the first to start using car tires on the Honda Reflex back on June 6, 2008. I took a lot of flack from naysayers for quite a while and had to debunk a bunch of myths and correct many misconceptions. But now there are several Reflex riders that have safely and successfully been using a car tire on the rear. Some wishing they had known about it sooner and none that I know of have gone back to using a regular scooter tire on the rear. Some swear by it while others will just swear at it. Still frowned upon by some, but it is becoming more of an accepted practice; well, tolerated at least.

I'm not crazy, stupid nor too cheap to buy "real" motorbike tires for my ride, I merely choose not to. And if one does not do things within the scope of influence, advice, knowledge or even without the approval of designers and engineers do things necessarily become automatically dangerous. Knee jerk reactions are seldom correct. (and there do seem to be some reactions when this subject comes up still.) Engineers and the rest of the so called educated don't know everything and theory is often a paper tiger. Besides, this world is full of educated idiots. Experience and first hand knowledge are a better and truer gauge because they demonstrate the truth in an absolute and undeniably solid way.
And the preponderance of evidence thus far (and there is plenty of it) has shown that using a car tire is not unsafe.

Railing against a thing because it does not fit a certain conceptual mold is of the same genre as trying to kill what one fears only because of the single reason that they don't understand it. The narrow minded are called that for a reason. I think Albert Einstein said it best: "Great ideas often receive violent opposition from mediocre minds."

Just one other thing to note about tires I use on my Reflex scooters and that is I also use a 150/70-13 Pirelli DIABLO scooter rear tire on the front of my Reflex scooters.
This is the same size REAR tire for the Honda Silverwing FSC600 scooter. Naturally it is taller than the standard 110/90-13 Bridgestone Hoop. But it sticks like stink to the road, handles bumps, soft sand and gravel better IMO. Plus it helps level the bike a little better with the tall tires on the rear. It will wear much longer than the standard size tire. No problems when braking nor has any tendency to hydroplane been noted when riding on wet roads.

Surely I'm not the only one who thinks outside the box.
"Darkside" Honda Reflex. "Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."
bandito2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:37 AM   #71
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
The Dumb-siders will never admit that they are wrong so there is really no arguing with them. That said you should always post in these threads the folly of it. Friends don't let friends go to the Dumb-side.
Blue Skies Coming
Old 04-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #72
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,044
Quote:
They have been misspelling darkside all this time
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #73
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
Gonna have to check on it to see if they offer it in a DL size {150 section 17 inch rim}

Looks like they make it in a 160/70/17.

But better not tell mrphotoman that you went with a different width than the bike manufacturer recommended... he'll never forgive you.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:02 AM   #74
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Looks like they make it in a 160/70/17.

But better not tell mrphotoman that you went with a different width than the bike manufacturer recommended... he'll never forgive you.
Since it's still a motorcycle tire,,,,,, maybe the atmosphere won't catch fire and the sky won't fall. Though likely, nuns could still die and almost certainly,,,,,,, kitten's would be maimed!!!!! Ohhhhhh the humanity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Blue Skies Coming
Old 04-10-2012, 05:02 AM   #75
100mpg
This sentance intent

Quote:
You are really starting to sound ignorant. You don't know what you are talking about. At first I thought you were busting chops online, but you really seem to think you know something about this.
The dumbsiders. Thats a good one.