User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2012, 07:01 AM   #16
Motomechanic OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Skidplate Complete

My skidplate is complete and i'm pretty happy with it for my first alloy fab job. I basically just made it by cutting out cardboard templates and copying them in alloy, tacking it togeather and bolting it to the bike. Tracing around the frame and cutting the shape then finished off on a linisher. I also drilled some holes in the frame and welded in some 8mm nuts to create mounting points at the rear.[IMG]

[/IMG]

I couldn't resist making it shiny. The finished product![IMG]
[/IMG]

On the bike!!![IMG]

[/IMG]

Thanks for the welding tips. I was running about 165 amps while doing the 5mm plate and it went ok. Good to know a ballpark to start with though.
I'm using 5356 filler rods 1.6mm diameter
Ceriated 2.4mm tungsten
Sorry i don't do imperial

I haven't been to through with cleaning the area before welding though. Also i haven't used the pulse function yet either. I've got a few offcuts leftover from the bashplate so i'll get some practice in with better preperation and have a play with the pulse as well.
Looking at it I agree 3mm is to thick for a tank as well, I'll get some 2mm for the tank! It will be easier to bend too so anything that will make that job easier is a good start.
Still waiting for most of my parts to arrive. Next job is cleaning up the suspention linkages ready to go back in. I'm going to concentrate on getting a rolling chasis then sort the engine.
Motomechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:40 AM   #17
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,822
The frame gussets that you finished welding had that weld missing for a reason.
If you dont weld across the tube it helps spread the load and prevent cracking.
when you weld accross the tube you focus the stress to one point which can cause cracking.

I used to do the same thing as you did and it often resulted in cracks but then i read some frame design books and found out welding across the tube was a no no.

Some one might come along soon and explain it a bit better than i did.

good luck with your build
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:14 AM   #18
Motomechanic OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the tip DR joe. After hearing that i'm now wishing i had a new unwelder as well
I will be doing some further bracing around the footpeg mounts yet so that should ensure it's all strong enough. I had a 2000 XR 250 that I raced moto x on back then. The footpeg mounts were sagged on that badly after a season. Hopefully I can avoid both sagging and cracking with the final job. Time will tell.
Little other progress so far just cleaning up bits and pieces and waiting for parts. I also ordered an XR 400 oil cooler to fit after reading some other XR 6 threads.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:02 AM   #19
Motomechanic OP
Adventurer

Wicked

So my front end, disc brakes and some other bits turned up and I wanted to get an idea of how it'll roughly go togeather. A hand full of cable ties later and I had this. The subframe and seat will sit a bit lower when mounted properly.[IMG]

[/IMG]

Seeing this has me so keen to get stuck in and make some real progress over the next few weeks.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:54 AM   #20
rangtangtang
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Shrouds < Long range tank.

I dont know, big shrouds look silly with an air cooled engine . . . to me
rangtangtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:44 AM   #21
Motomechanic OP
Adventurer

Flat out with work this week, and didn't get as much done as I had hoped. But my mountain of parts is still growing and almost all the bits i've ordered are here.

[IMG][/IMG]

I managed to get the linkages fitted with new bearings this week and cleaned up ready to go.

[IMG]
[/IMG]

Old vs new. Footpegs have grown a lot in the last 20 years!

[IMG][/IMG]

I'm not up to speed with different alluminium grades and want to buy a piece to turn up my new head stem. If anyone knows what grade of alloy would be suitable to make this part out of please let me know.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:25 AM   #22
duxrneet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
I will be looking on with great admiration. It's good to know that there was an XR out there that looked uglier than mine
-Subscribed
Old 04-25-2012, 05:01 AM   #23
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomechanic View Post
I'm not up to speed with different alluminium grades and want to buy a piece to turn up my new head stem. If anyone knows what grade of alloy would be suitable to make this part out of please let me know.

Not a metallurgist but check this out for a primer, there should be an about aluminum tab

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-al...tubing/=h9aya9

Any reason why you couldn't turn down an existing stem? That would probably be cheaper and take the guess work out of aluminum

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:53 AM   #24
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,822
you could cut the stem off just leaving enough for teh bearings to sit on and then put a long bolt through the tripples where the stem usualy goes.
(I think that made sense)
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:10 AM   #25
deejay_xr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:

I forgot / too lazy to read back, but I guess those would be the USD's from a CR or CRF ??

If you have the CR/CRF stem that goes with the triples and forks you can have it machined down to accomodate the XR bearings using the .pdf drawings in this thread

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/555...ficationspics/

Read all the way through, along the thread someone posted the .pdf drawings that are still hosted for download, and some revisions were made. Drawings are for a CR stem, but I'm almost (!) certain that the CRF stems are identical, you'd have to measure to be sure though.

The stem from my '01 CR250 USD's is being shipped to the US to have this machining work done as we speak to fit the forks in my XR600R

Plus, the CR/CRF stem is made of some kind of stainless, which I would say is preferable to an aluminium stem, just to be safe.

I've been following your thread quietly, looking good man! Good luck !

deejay_xr screwed with this post 04-26-2012 at 05:17 AM
deejay_xr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:37 AM   #26
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,270
I have a bunch of stems laying around. If I can find one that meets the minimum specs of those drawings, I can machine it and send it to you if that makes your life easier.

No promises that I have one though.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:13 AM   #27
Motomechanic OP
Adventurer

All the help is great thanks guys! I've got a copy of the drawing to machine the crf stem and I have access to a lathe so that'll be on top of the to do list. I was worried about machining it down because it's roughly 4mm to take off and I had my concerns about the strength of the finished part. Having witnessed some horrific bike accidents in the past I don't want a weak point holding the front end togeather. BUT looks like everyone else has been doing it and I haven't heard any bad feedback. Just being paranoid I guess. Thanks for the offer to machine one up for me sailah

In the mean time any real plan of what i'm doing first has sort of gone out the window and i'm just sorting out as many bits ready to go as possible. Cleaning up the engine cases at the moment and my ocd side is starting to take over. I have to keep telling myself it's only a dirt bike. At this rate it'll end up looking better than my SP2.
I've also been wondering what size to build this engine up as. Changed my mind a bit and am now thinking the bigger the better so I ordered one of these to start with.
[IMG][/IMG]

I've seen a sleve available to go 720cc but am still not sure. At least 650 though
Old 04-26-2012, 07:20 AM   #28
deejay_xr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
All the help is great thanks guys! I've got a copy of the drawing to machine the crf stem and I have access to a lathe so that'll be on top of the to do list. I was worried about machining it down because it's roughly 4mm to take off and I had my concerns about the strength of the finished part. Having witnessed some horrific bike accidents in the past I don't want a weak point holding the front end togeather. BUT looks like everyone else has been doing it and I haven't heard any bad feedback. Just being paranoid I guess.
It'd still be a damn sight sturdier than an aluminium stem, plus if you were to make a stem from scratch the dimensions would ultimately be the same.

That piece of Carillo steel is sexy !
Old 04-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #29
kapparone
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Grande xr !!!

compliment the bike you're doing 'ok!
Have you thought of mounting the twin exhaust crf 250?
I'm 'following from Italy and expect to continue your work soon ....
Krone
kapparone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:37 AM   #30
Motomechanic OP
Adventurer

Not a lot of progress has happened since my last update, I've been away working for three weeks and have been itching to get some more done on the bike. One thing this did achieve though was to allow me to go on another shopping spree
Plus a few parts i've been waiting on have finally turned up. One of them is my new shock, It's out of a 2005 model and so gets rid of the old remote resevoir with a hose attaching it to the shock. I haven't stripped it fully yet but the body has been hard anodised so i'm hoping theres a gold valve installed.
[IMG][/IMG]

When I removed the spring I took measurements of the length and travel so I could make this adjustable bar to aid with the positioning of the subframe
[IMG]
[/IMG]
The only reason I use stainless steel for these type of things is I get it for free from work.

Once fitted this allows me to lock the rear suspension in the bottomed out position. With a new tyre in the full rearward position I can then position the subframe and ensure that nothing clashes. Also handy so I can wheel the bike around when the shock is removed.
[IMG]

[/IMG]

Other bits that turned up are my Cyclewizard chain adjusters and valve covers.[IMG][/IMG]
The quality of these parts is first rate and the adv rider member who I got them through, Mendoteach is a champion. Thanks again for all your help.

I bought a used 41mm kiehin fcr flat slide carb seems ok but i'll strip it later to inspect and set up for the xr.
[IMG]
[/IMG]

And other bits and pieces
[IMG]
[/IMG]

I should be home for the next few months so I'm keen to get as much as I can done. The steering stem is still top of the list to get done followed by machining and welding of the swingarm to accept a crf rear hub and disc brake setup.

Motomechanic screwed with this post 05-27-2012 at 05:58 AM Reason: Fixing name