Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #61
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
There were no qualifications to "one of the best selling" comparison the poster bought up. It is either the best selling motorcycle of all time or it isn't. Perhaps we should limit comparisons to "best selling motorcycle of all the time since the G/S was introduced 32 years ago. Then it might be .04% of sales one to the other.
All right... for one thing if you want to continue to talk about percentages you can't just divide, you have to MULTIPLY BY 100 as well. You are still two orders of magnitude off.. it's 0.42%, all right?

Then, the Cub is a motorcycle only in the most generic definition of the term - it is a freaking scooter, and a 60 year old one at that, and one of the cheapest vehicles ever built. If you compare the sale numbers of motorcycles by the more specific definition commonly accepted here (especially so if you limit yourself to large displacement, luxury bikes) then the GS is without question one of the best selling motorcycles in history, a feat accomplished in part (but certainly not exclusively) in virtue of the fact that the shaft drive is attractive to a lot of riders.

Whew...
Old 03-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #62
dddd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
NEVER use a brush on an oring or xring chain, you risk pushing dirt behind the ring and that link pin will wear and kink in a few thousand miles.
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #63
dwthump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
O-Ring Chains

Being a semi-old fart, I had a big thumper in the late 70's, (XT500), and it chewed up chains and sprockets no matter how much you cleaned and lubed them. I usually got about 3,000 miles on sprockets before the teeth were hooked and not much more for the chain. The modern O and X ring chains require very little to get 10-15k out of one, 20k if you are really good with maintenance. Hell, I haven't even adjusted the O-ring on my KLR for a year and a half.

Darren
'09 Kaw KLR650, (Blue!)
dwthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #64
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
All right... for one thing if you want to continue to talk about percentages you can't just divide, you have to MULTIPLY BY 100 as well. You are still two orders of magnitude off.. it's 0.42%, all right?

Then, the Cub is a motorcycle only in the most generic definition of the term - it is a freaking scooter, and a 60 year old one at that, and one of the cheapest vehicles ever built. If you compare the sale numbers of motorcycles by the more specific definition commonly accepted here (especially so if you limit yourself to large displacement, luxury bikes) then the GS is without question one of the best selling motorcycles in history, a feat accomplished in part (but certainly not exclusively) in virtue of the fact that the shaft drive is attractive to a lot of riders.

Whew...
Ah, I think I see the problem with your definition of motorcycle and of quality. No, the Cub 50 does not make the owners genitals feel bigger and many people of low position, even poor people, can own these motorcycles. A whale foreskin lined riding suit is silly on a Cub. Still, 60 million motorcycles is sixty million motorcycles and at it's peak it was selling nearly a million a year globally and 500,000 units a year in the US when BMW had yet to sell 500,000 bikes in 50 years.

I did see the poster's point about the GS though and said as much several posts back.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #65
Harry Backer
Ran when parked!

Oddometer: 373
I go both ways.
Harry Backer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #66
andruboz
Serial overfiller

Oddometer: 5,301
a 1979 gs850g spoiled me for chains back in 1987.

i put up with one now for fuel injection. and cost of purchase.

we had a rainy march in texas and i only have a carport and a walmart bike cover.

lil bit of surface rust on the sides on the links now.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:35 PM   #67
Boxer-lust
Banned

Oddometer: 528
Chains are great...on bicycles...
I would never buy another chain driven bike unless it is a small dirtbike...
CHAINS SUCK donkey dork...
Boxer-lust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:57 AM   #68
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleplay View Post
It's just a matter of affordability. Shaft driven bikes requires zero maintenance but they are expensive and heavier, chain is simpler, cheaper and lighter but requires basic maintenance. There's a reason one of the best selling bikes of all time BMW R1200 GS is shaft driven.
So your bike has self-changing fluid and self-lubing splines?

That's pretty neat.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:10 AM   #69
scorch
Poser

Oddometer: 3,365
what do you guys do about kinks in the chain. My chain is pretty new, but i left my bik esitting for about a week, and then when i rode it, the chain was noisy. One of the links is not as movable as the others.
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:19 AM   #70
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
NEVER use a brush on an oring or xring chain, you risk pushing dirt behind the ring and that link pin will wear and kink in a few thousand miles.
I disagree on this one. If you use a grunge brush with the center bristles removed, it makes a great tool to clean off the side plates without risking compromising the o-rings.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:24 AM   #71
dashredder
Just go.

Oddometer: 68
I use Honda chain lube. Clean, non greasy, non sticky, non goopy, just soo much better than those other chain lubes/sprays/goop that fling snot all over the bottom of your tail section, wheel, and cake the chain guards with thick goop. Give it a try and see what you think. Use it after you clean all that other mess off and go with it for a bit. Cheap test that may make a believer, or near believer, outta ya!
dashredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:33 AM   #72
Doubleplay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
Comparing the BMW GS output to the sales of the Honda Cub from the 1950s until today... yeah, that makes lots of sense.
Well Said
Old 03-30-2012, 09:42 AM   #73
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrasser View Post
Just had to send my driveshaft out to have the front u-joint replaced. $190 w/ shipping. Did all the disassembly & reassembly myself. Imagine if a dealer did all the work? Lots of $$$$.

BTW, the bike has just over 50,000 miles on it.

Our garage has 2 bikes with shaft drive and 2 with chains. I prefer maintaining a chain.

Also, if a chain breaks at 75mph, most likely it will be gone. Have a shaft u-joint fail and the rear could lock up solid.
A friend bought a used good condition Valkyrie with 19000 miles on it, within a year he had to replace the U-joint. He's not mechanically inclined so he had to foot the bill at the dealership, I don't really recall how much it was but it seems in the neighborhood of a grand. Mechanical stuff fails even on the best built bikes. (hopefully not at speed... )
Old 03-30-2012, 10:59 AM   #74
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
a quick google search got this - http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...far/13325.html
It's for the UK, year 2010, but GS and GS Adventure combined would put it at #1. I was surprised. I know the US numbers will be much different.
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #75
Barnwell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
I love chain final drive on a motorcycle. Simple, elegant, and efficient. I would consider riding a BMW if it had a chain.
We remember the Freeman. We are coterminous.
Barnwell is offline   Reply With Quote