User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2015, 01:17 PM   #1
Z1ppy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Electronics charging options (2015)

How do u charge your stuff (iPhone etc..) on a long tour?

Thanks
Z1ppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 02:12 PM   #2
boatpuller
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 615
Picked up a cigarette lighter receptical that has a SAE plug that fits the battery tender plug. Whole thing fits in my saddle bag, and the phone is blue toothed to the GPS from there.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 03:18 PM   #3
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z1ppy View Post
How do u charge your stuff (iPhone etc..) on a long tour?
I run an SAE cord from my battery to the front of my tank, where it connects to THIS which I have affixed into my tank bag (and RTV'd for waterproofing). Inside the tank bag I have a few different adapters...I can charge my iPad, iPhone, Drift Ghost-S batteries, SENA SMH10 devices, etc.

The cord going to the battery has a cap on it and it is tiewrapped to the handlebars and taken off the bag when I take the bag with me.
Mastery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 03:33 PM   #4
bkg123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
I have This
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/p...trix-connector
installed on my top box, fed by a fused SAE connector from the battery. In the top box I have a splitter into two powerlet connectors, with USB ports to charge pretty much everything...Gopro, phone, Sena, whatever.
When I stop for a break, I swap out batteries. easy-peasy.
Added one more item to the list for this year
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
For camp in the evening.
Im not comfortable with charging anything off the bike in the evening when its not running.

Edit..
Haha, just saw Mastery's link. Same hookup.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:10 AM   #5
Z1ppy OP
Adventurer

Great information guys. Thank you.

gonna buy the bike battery connector next month and have already dropped the money on the battery pack.

Old 04-18-2015, 04:52 AM   #6
dddd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
99% of times: at the hotel, sometimes only every 2-3 days.

0.9% of times, I switch to a spare battery.

0.1% of times, I plug into my heated gloves socket. I hacked a regular 12v socket adapter with a spare coiled cord and added a dual usb charger. The whole thing stay shoved in a bag or hard case with only the coiled cord out.
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:04 AM   #7
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 13,209
On the KLR, I've got a couple of cigarette lighter spigots on the dash. One powers the 60csx and the other one powers my phone or camera in the tank bag.

On the V-strom, I run an SAE pigtail up to the handlebars and feed a line into the tank bag.

On the new-to-me GS, there are a couple of powerlet connectors up front and one behind my left calf, and the GPS mount is powered. I'll run a line from one of the powerlets into my tank bag.

All of these are fused, and except for the V-Strom they're also switched with the ignition via a relay.

John
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:16 PM   #8
georgiev
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Solar?

If you know any cool solar charging tank bag kits postem please. thank you
georgiev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:19 AM   #9
ggemelos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Everything I need to charge uses a USB plug, so I skip the cigaret lighter. I have an SAE wire run to my handle bars and plug this SAE to USB wire into it. It is rated at 2amp which will charge any USB device. I also have a USB battery pack. I often just charge the battery pack and then charge my other devices over night in the tent. At 20kmAh, the batter pack can charge a lot of devices.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:21 AM   #10
Qaz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
I don't own a cellphone or GPS or anything else that needs to be recharged and never will, it defeats the purpose of riding a motorcycle. I recharge at the end of the day with a cool glass of spring water.
Qaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:30 PM   #11
AustinRT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Qaz, Buddy I'm shocked that you even use the internet to post opinions given your distain for cell phones and navigation. I presume you just stick you head in the stream to drink too?

Kidding. You are welcome to your opinion on electronic devices. Enjoy the ride.

Larry
AustinRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:04 AM   #12
Qaz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinRT View Post
Qaz, Buddy I'm shocked that you even use the internet to post opinions given your distain for cell phones and navigation. I presume you just stick you head in the stream to drink too?

Kidding. You are welcome to your opinion on electronic devices. Enjoy the ride.

Larry
Larry- I have a huge distain for cell phones and GPS. The reason is I don't want to here your personal conversations, even intimate at times. I don't want to hear 4 or 5 phones ringing in the restaurant while I am trying to enjoy a meal, or see 2 people sitting at a table texting who knows what instead of talking to each other. If all the cell phones suddenly disappeared, 95% of the users would be lost and could not function. I can understand the Cell phone for true emergencies, but they are far and few between.

I have never been directionally challenged but I have an idea that if so many people did not depend on GPS's they would learn North from South and would not need a GPS to cross town.

One of the reasons I ride is to unwind and relax, If I have to watch a GPS for directions, or hear a cell phone ringer then I can't do that. As far as sticking my head in a stream to drink, that is the only way I know how to do it.
Qaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:32 AM   #13
jondirt
City rider

Oddometer: 44
Jump Start Power banks

On past trips, I've used a little USB outlet from 3BR that is hardwired to my bike:

https://www.3brpowersports.com/products_TAPP_LITE.php

I'm unsatisfied with USB outlets for several reasons. The outlet itself makes a solid connection, but too often I've found the connector at the device end of things is not designed for vibrations or moving around in a tank bag. Something I thought was charging wasn't. Also, juggling stuff to charge while riding is a pain. And I tend to take my electronic gear off the bike when I stop and with a USB outlet this means no charging during breaks ...

A few of folks have pointed to USB power banks - I took a look and there's now whole crop of power banks that are "jump start" power banks. I think I am getting this one:

http://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Porta.../dp/B00SH1SN6C

The key feature is that this takes 15V in - I can make a rugged connector for it directly to my bike, and keep it in my tank bag during the day, and then charge stuff at camp. It has two USB charge ports, one is a high power one. Oh, and a jumpstart feature, hopefully not needed! There are other models out there that are 15V in, many with 12/14/19V DC out too, so you can even charge a laptop...

jondirt screwed with this post 04-22-2015 at 11:39 AM
jondirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:37 AM   #14
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 17,425
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-to-5V...item43d678bf0d

$4 free shipping, mine has been used almost daily for well over a year, never leaves the bike, always stays connected, charges fast, has been wet lots of times..... best thing since canned bread
I charge with the bike off often, its never been an issue.

if you need to charge an iphone, get the one that says "iphone" in the title its a few more dollars but otherwise it probably wont charge an iphone

Old 04-24-2015, 09:30 AM   #15
Z1ppy OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiev View Post
If you know any cool solar charging tank bag kits postem please. thank you
I did quite a bit if reading on this and in short they work but you are advised to charge a battery pack with it . You charge the phone with the battery pack. The reason being is that some modern phones reject intermittent charging which u would get for sure with a solar device.