Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2012, 05:26 AM   #16
KradmelderSA OP
Banned

Oddometer: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
We're fluctuating between $3.80 and $4.00 per gallon here in S.E. Pennsylvania.

And I'd like to go on record as saying I don't think we're paying nearly enough per gallon. (W.T.F.!? you ask.)

I'd like to see gas prices climb to almost $6.00 per gallon around here to slow down some of these raging lunatics that like to blow down Country roads at 80+ mph in their vehicles (mostly SUV and Pick-ups) who show a complete disregard for the safety of others when they have to straddle the center of the road to keep from drifting off it around blind turns. (and playing the zig-zag game down the highways when I'm already doing 70 in the slow lane and other traffic is doing 80 in the passing lane)
If they can afford to drive that way = they can afford to pay higher gas prices. (I get 80+ mpg so I don't give a shit!)
I'm hoping higher gas prices will slow down some of these assholes.

...will it affect others who don't deserve the higher gas prices?
Sure will but, it might also help save their life.
I.M.H.O. if you can't afford it, you shouldn't have bought it. (and we all knew full well that higher gas prices are/were on their way)

The only people I feel sorry for are the small business owners who have to fuel the vehicles used for their business.

I'm also hoping higher fuel prices will bring us a better variety of vehicles like the rest of the world has. (that can still haul things but get better mpg.)

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&g...1t:429,r:9,s:0
But higher fuel prices will mean higher food price (which can be partially mitigated by agricultural exemptions on fuel taxes), and all other commodities due to rising transport costs.

Maybe those that can afford big SUVs and drive them at 80+ can afford higher fuel so it wont stop them? Just a thought
KradmelderSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:00 AM   #17
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Germany:
1,7/l for 98 Super+ unleaded is ~$8,55/gallon

A good Scottish Single Malt comes for ~40...60 per 0,7l ... ~$360/gallon (but well, what's a good whisky...)
Old 03-29-2012, 06:02 AM   #18
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by KradmelderSA View Post
But higher fuel prices will mean higher food price (which can be partially mitigated by agricultural exemptions on fuel taxes), and all other commodities due to rising transport costs.

Maybe those that can afford big SUVs and drive them at 80+ can afford higher fuel so it wont stop them? Just a thought

In the mean time it kills m ass. No body reimburses me for my fuel bills, at $3.90 a gal my monthly fuel average runs about $400 a month, and that is with a 24 mpg Suzuki

IBA 22425

perterra screwed with this post 03-29-2012 at 07:54 AM
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:04 AM   #19
MagyarMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
$4.10 at Costco in Baltimore for premium.
MagyarMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:08 AM   #20
KradmelderSA OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
Germany:
1,7/l for 98 Super+ unleaded is ~$8,55/gallon

A good Scottish Single Malt comes for ~40...60 per 0,7l ... ~$360/gallon (but well, what's a good whisky...)
Scottish single malt
Old 03-29-2012, 06:19 AM   #21
MotorradMike
MIL-TFD-41

Oddometer: 1,003
About $5 a US gallon in Ontario yesterday.
Currency is very close at the moment.

I notice the odd SUV or pickup going below the limit when we get a price ramp but after a while it's business as usual.

BMW R1100RS
MotorradMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:27 AM   #22
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,840
Back when I had my Nissan Titan, I would go max 65 MPH pretty much everywhere I went. On highway trips I was "just" able to get 18 MPG

I loved that truck, but got rid of it because I was driving for work too much. Then got a Honda Civic, then realized I am an idiot for making car payments anyway. Sold it for the same price I bought it for, now I am looking for something cheap to purchase outright for rainy days, and ride the bike the rest

Oh, gas went from 3.65 last Friday to 3.85 today. I haven't been keeping up with the news, who sneezed and made the price for crude go up
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:53 AM   #23
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,111
Quote:

And I'd like to go on record as saying I don't think we're paying nearly enough per gallon. (W.T.F.!? you ask.)

I'd like to see gas prices climb to almost $6.00 per gallon around here to slow down some of these raging lunatics that like to blow down Country roads at 80+ mph in their vehicles (mostly SUV and Pick-ups) who show a complete disregard for the safety of others when they have to straddle the center of the road to keep from drifting off it around blind turns. (and playing the zig-zag game down the highways when I'm already doing 70 in the slow lane and other traffic is doing 80 in the passing lane)
If they can afford to drive that way = they can afford to pay higher gas prices. (I get 80+ mpg so I don't give a shit!)
{snip}
I'd tend to agree. Since the first gasoline crisis (the Arab Oil Embargo) in the eraly 1970's (40 years ago!) the USA hasbeen fiddle-farting around with a national energy policy. Etc. But your average Joe/Jane loves the low-fuel mileage Behemoth, and SUVs/Pickups are THE hot seller.

Ugh.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:58 AM   #24
thumpty dumpty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:

I'm hoping higher gas prices will slow down some of these assholes.

...will it affect others who don't deserve the higher gas prices?
Sure will but, it might also help save their life.
I.M.H.O. if you can't afford it, you shouldn't have bought it. (and we all knew full well that higher gas prices are/were on their way)

The only people I feel sorry for are the small business owners who have to fuel the vehicles used for their business.

I'm also hoping higher fuel prices will bring us a better variety of vehicles like the rest of the world has. (that can still haul things but get better mpg.)
I keep promising myself I won't post after I partake, but this is the most ignorant post I've seen in some time. This is the same logic that says ban guns and crime will go down.

I'm all for getting asshats off the road, but giving more tax revenue to a government that doesn't know how to spend money is not the answer. I don't know what the answer is, but I have some ideas that might help...

Make it harder to get a license. I'm not saying make it tricky, but you should have some skill. As the system is set up now, no skill is needed.

Make it harder to keep a license. Again...this is a skill/learning thing, not a money thing.

This is the big one...enforce the fracking laws. I am so frackin' fed up with cops letting people go for small infractions, because it's not a "real" crime. If you're a cop, you bust criminals. That's that. A DUI is no worse than rolling thru a stop sign. According to our rules, they're both wrong. I live in an area where people get pissed if they get pulled over for speeding "a little bit." It's a stupid bs thing, and in the long run reasonable people are going to take the law into their own hands and start weeding out the riff-raff. So now I have to watch my neighbor get hauled to the pokey because he killed the sob that ran a red light and injured his wife...with no ticket issued. My neighbor is a nice guy. If cops would do their jobs, he'd be home right now, and the d-hole that shouldn't have been on the road would be in the clink for attempted vehicular manslaughter.

You logic is skewed, sir. Make the test harder. Make the gas cheaper. Heck...if you make the test harder, the gas will follow. Supply and demand. Roads get safer, gas becomes a non-issue. Now, I'm sure some people are thinking, "What about those people that need to commute 200 miles a day for work?" The answer is...they need to reassess their lives. Anyone over 35 (or younger, perhaps) might remember the commercial where the guy says, "I only do drugs so I can stay up longer, to work more hours, to make more money...so I can buy more drugs, to stay up longer, to work more hours, to make more money..." I'm not trying to be a hippie, but, if you can't make it from your house to your work in under 90 minutes on a bicycle, you should rethink EVERYTHING. If you are married to your vehicle then you can't ever, EVER complain about fuel costs. I have a lot of opinions on this...I'm going to stop writing in the hopes that there's a couple folks I haven't alienated. Oh, it's $3.55 for ethanol-laced low-octane stuff here. $3.89 for sugar-free 91.
thumpty dumpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:05 AM   #25
KradmelderSA OP
Banned

Why put the costs on the fuel price? that affects everyone and food prices. Why not just put huge licencsing fees on alrge luxury vehicles? Then it only affects the responsible group
Old 03-29-2012, 08:59 AM   #26
MikeJansen
Lost

Oddometer: 113
Filled up on Monday at $8.37 a gal or 1.39/l

Laughed my ass off at the guy in the S500 I saw on the way to work. I remember filling those up with 60 US gallons at a time. In the UK that would cost 315 to fill on the regular stuff and $501.25 in US money.

And for that I get rubbish roads, sky high insurance, huge road tax bills, speed cameras (4 fixed and 3 average zones in 17 miles), and about a bizillion other road users. Though I do get to filter legally and can visit france with the bike in about 2 hours.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #27
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Filled up this morning at $3.58 a gallon

Luckily SC has some of the lowest taxes on fuel...

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #28
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by KradmelderSA View Post
Why put the costs on the fuel price? that affects everyone and food prices. Why not just put huge licencsing fees on alrge luxury vehicles? Then it only affects the responsible group
Which group is that?

And, what are they responsible for?
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #29
Mimic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
1.49/litre. Wait....
Old 03-29-2012, 11:41 AM   #30
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
about $4/gallon in SW PA.

and we should have switched to the metric system a long time ago...

on the other hand, some of you europeans need to figure out the proper role of commas (which are supposed to be thousands separaters) and decimal points (commas are NOT decimal points...decimal points are) and spaces (no number should ever have a space in it) when writing numbers.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote