Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #31
robbie0365
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KradmelderSA View Post
Eina.

What are they doing with all that tax revenue?
I have no idea.
What they do with the all the tax you have to pay just owning a vehicle ( for a US-size SUV on gasoline about 2500 USD a year....) is also unknown.
Not on improvement on infrastructure or road maintenance that's for sure.
robbie0365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:44 PM   #32
Tip Over
Whoopsie!

Oddometer: 994
I top off my tank every day, and it costs around 7-8 bucks.

Current price here is about 3.96 for the bottom grade stuff I use. Around 40 mpg, little higher or lower depending on traffic with my goldwing.

I haven't touched my car in almost three weeks.
Tip Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #33
BeeJay
Illegal Clicker

Oddometer: 398
We're at $4.01 at my local gas station in northern Virginia.
BeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #34
Mistress of the dual
Some say....

Oddometer: 203
About $4.00/gallon in San Diego, CA

Raising the gas prices won’t slow down the drivers in my neck of the world. They may slow for a few days when prices go up but then they adjust and go back to their usual driving style. Making it harder to get or keep a license also won’t work because people here will drive without or on suspended licenes.

2002 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2009 BMW F650GS
RR:The Quest for Apple Pie
RR:Pacific Coast Rambling
Mistress of the dual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #35
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorradMike View Post
About $5 a US gallon in Ontario yesterday.
Currency is very close at the moment.

I notice the odd SUV or pickup going below the limit when we get a price ramp but after a while it's business as usual.

Sorry but you're about a $1.00 low...
Currency doesn't matter, the Canadian gallon is bigger than the U.S. gallon.
Our gallon has 4.5609 litres @ 1.33/litre (every station around here) that works out to $6.06/ gallon.
Now you understand why we switched to the metric system years ago. So that average Canadians would have no idea what he was paying and how hard he was being screwed.

Red9 screwed with this post 03-29-2012 at 01:28 PM
Red9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #36
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,081
I may have to go to a longer hose when gas hits 4.00 gal.

3.899 for real gas, regular.

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:41 PM   #37
MikeJansen
Lost

Oddometer: 107
Fuel prices have shot up this week as there is talk of a strike by the tanker drivers. £1.55/l in some places ($9.32/g) but the stations have been rammed with people panic buying. . .
Old 03-30-2012, 04:37 AM   #38
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpty dumpty View Post
I keep promising myself I won't post after I partake, but this is the most ignorant post I've seen in some time. This is the same logic that says ban guns and crime will go down.

I'm all for getting asshats off the road, but giving more tax revenue to a government that doesn't know how to spend money is not the answer. I don't know what the answer is, but I have some ideas that might help...

Make it harder to get a license. I'm not saying make it tricky, but you should have some skill. As the system is set up now, no skill is needed.

Make it harder to keep a license. Again...this is a skill/learning thing, not a money thing.

This is the big one...enforce the fracking laws. I am so frackin' fed up with cops letting people go for small infractions, because it's not a "real" crime. If you're a cop, you bust criminals. That's that. A DUI is no worse than rolling thru a stop sign. According to our rules, they're both wrong. I live in an area where people get pissed if they get pulled over for speeding "a little bit." It's a stupid bs thing, and in the long run reasonable people are going to take the law into their own hands and start weeding out the riff-raff. So now I have to watch my neighbor get hauled to the pokey because he killed the sob that ran a red light and injured his wife...with no ticket issued. My neighbor is a nice guy. If cops would do their jobs, he'd be home right now, and the d-hole that shouldn't have been on the road would be in the clink for attempted vehicular manslaughter.

You logic is skewed, sir. Make the test harder. Make the gas cheaper. Heck...if you make the test harder, the gas will follow. Supply and demand. Roads get safer, gas becomes a non-issue. Now, I'm sure some people are thinking, "What about those people that need to commute 200 miles a day for work?" The answer is...they need to reassess their lives. Anyone over 35 (or younger, perhaps) might remember the commercial where the guy says, "I only do drugs so I can stay up longer, to work more hours, to make more money...so I can buy more drugs, to stay up longer, to work more hours, to make more money..." I'm not trying to be a hippie, but, if you can't make it from your house to your work in under 90 minutes on a bicycle, you should rethink EVERYTHING. If you are married to your vehicle then you can't ever, EVER complain about fuel costs. I have a lot of opinions on this...I'm going to stop writing in the hopes that there's a couple folks I haven't alienated. Oh, it's $3.55 for ethanol-laced low-octane stuff here. $3.89 for sugar-free 91.
F.W.I.W. You could have spelled all of this out for me without calling me ignorant.
You might find this hard to believe but, I agree with everything you said. In all honesty, I wasn't even thinking about those points you made...just a really hopeful affect it might have on peoples driving habbits in my neck of the woods.

As for enforcement making things safer...hasn't happend yet.
Perhaps a better solution would be fully automated systems that keep vehicles from traveling over the posted speed limits, that also monitor drivers input/habbits that will do the "enforcing" automaticly by alerting the driver that their actions will result in a nice hefty fine being mailed their way. (since we don't seem to be able to afford police to do the enforcing)
I hate Big Brother as much as anyone but...I'm beginning to see few alternatives as we grow dumber and dumber (as our actions indicate) as a society.

...or perhaps we should simply rid vehicles of their safety devices, give them drum brakes, non-collapsible steering columns, lap-belts only and metal dashboards (just like the old days) to help with natural selection and thin out the herd, of idiots.
I personally blame the safety devices that give todays drivers a sense of feeling invincible, as a reason for why so many drive as reckless as they do.

Ps. What I throw out above is simply food for thought and nothing I actually want.
Personal responsability is the REAL answer but, most seem to be lacking that.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:53 AM   #39
Pansy
Not much of an Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,867
Wow... reading red print is hard on the eyes....

In central IL our gas jumped from $3.79 (cheap stuff) to $4.09 while I was at work Wed. But it's come back down... to $4.08 WTF

They've been jumping it up just before the weekend lately and it seems to go back down (slightly) on Monday.

You'd think being in corn/ethanol country, our prices would be lower.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:58 AM   #40
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
I personally blame the safety devices that give todays drivers a sense of feeling invincible, as a reason for why so many drive as reckless as they do.
I think it's who we are as a people, not just Americans but humans in general.

Listen to guys talk about bikes, when the general consensus is that 75 horsepower on a bike is a slug that cant get out of it's own way it's likely the same people blowing past at 85 mph in 400 horse truck are blowing past on bikes whining about not being able to pass some slug in front quick enough.

Maybe they should start taxing horsepower.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:59 AM   #41
KradmelderSA OP
Banned

Oddometer: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Which group is that?

And, what are they responsible for?
the big SUVs. here or annual licence fee is based on vehicle weight. Want a drive a big cage, you pay for it.
KradmelderSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:02 AM   #42
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
$3.54 a gallon this morning.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:10 AM   #43
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,098
1,7 e for a liter here in Finland, it's a fucking disgrace!
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:22 AM   #44
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 675
$1.32 per liter here in Cambodia.

Used be able to fill my bike for $10 two years ago. Now it's
$15
Old 03-30-2012, 05:25 AM   #45
MotorradMike
MIL-TFD-41

Oddometer: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red9 View Post
Sorry but you're about a $1.00 low...
Currency doesn't matter, the Canadian gallon is bigger than the U.S. gallon.
Our gallon has 4.5609 litres @ 1.33/litre (every station around here) that works out to $6.06/ gallon.
Now you understand why we switched to the metric system years ago. So that average Canadians would have no idea what he was paying and how hard he was being screwed.
If you'd read and understood the original post, which included (For comparison and since the majority are in USA, can you convert to USD and to US gallons.) you would have known why I converted volume and didn't bother with currency.
I'm very comfortable with both measurement systems thank you very much.

BTW, your conversion constant is incorrect, it's actually 4.54609.

BMW R1100RS
MotorradMike is offline   Reply With Quote