Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2012, 01:13 PM   #61
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,395
Premium gas is at an all time high in France and if it weren't for the cheap dollar it would be even higher. It's at 1.65 euros, self-service, another 4-5 cents at a regular station. 8 dollars and change. About 85% is tax. Nearly 70 percent of all new car sales have diesel engines and diesel costs about 1.40 a liter.

My 14-year-old Volvo runs on LPG, which costs about half that of premium (lower taxes) and even with the consumption increase of 20% I still save around 3 dollars a gallon.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #62
MrLebowski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
About 3.85 a gallon for premium (non ethanol) here in Wyoming.

For other ethanol haters here is a useful site - http://pure-gas.org/
At the bottom of the page click on the State abbreviation for gas stations near you.
The site is open source so if you know of a gas station selling real gas not on the list, post it up!
MrLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:55 AM   #63
Rakthi
mopetista

Oddometer: 207
$2.35/gallon here in Malaysia, but then figure in the average income per family is about $850 a month ...
Rakthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:13 AM   #64
slojon
SLOJON

Oddometer: 522
`$1.58 litre on South Coast NSW.
But $3.50 half litre bottled water. Go figure.
slojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:19 AM   #65
KradmelderSA OP
Banned

Oddometer: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by slojon View Post
`$1.58 litre on South Coast NSW.
But $3.50 half litre bottled water. Go figure.
Good thing my bikes drink petrol instead of water . i couldnt afford the water..

What do they do there? ask you $20 to fill the tank, but $30 to top up the radiator?
KradmelderSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:08 AM   #66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
about $4/gallon in SW PA.

and we should have switched to the metric system a long time ago...

on the other hand, some of you europeans need to figure out the proper role of commas (which are supposed to be thousands separaters) and decimal points (commas are NOT decimal points...decimal points are) and spaces (no number should ever have a space in it) when writing numbers.
From Wikipedia on the SI System.

• The 10th resolution of CGPM in 2003 declared that "the symbol for the decimal marker shall be either the point on the line or the comma on the line." In practice, the decimal point is used in English-speaking countries, Latin America and most of Asia, and the comma in most continental European languages.
  • Spaces may be used as a thousands separator (1000000) in contrast to commas or periods (1,000,000 or 1.000.000) in order to reduce confusion resulting from the variation between these forms in different countries. In print, the space used for this purpose is typically narrower than that between words (commonly a thin space).
#46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #67
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,967
$3.72/us gallon last week for low-grade. They don't even list premium on the sign anymore -- I think it's probably 30-40 cents more, so over $4.00 for that.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #68
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpty dumpty View Post
I keep promising myself I won't post after I partake, but this is the most ignorant post I've seen in some time. This is the same logic that says ban guns and crime will go down.

I'm all for getting asshats off the road, but giving more tax revenue to a government that doesn't know how to spend money is not the answer. I don't know what the answer is, but I have some ideas that might help...

Make it harder to get a license. I'm not saying make it tricky, but you should have some skill. As the system is set up now, no skill is needed.

Make it harder to keep a license. Again...this is a skill/learning thing, not a money thing.

This is the big one...enforce the fracking laws. I am so frackin' fed up with cops letting people go for small infractions, because it's not a "real" crime. If you're a cop, you bust criminals. That's that. A DUI is no worse than rolling thru a stop sign. According to our rules, they're both wrong. I live in an area where people get pissed if they get pulled over for speeding "a little bit." It's a stupid bs thing, and in the long run reasonable people are going to take the law into their own hands and start weeding out the riff-raff. So now I have to watch my neighbor get hauled to the pokey because he killed the sob that ran a red light and injured his wife...with no ticket issued. My neighbor is a nice guy. If cops would do their jobs, he'd be home right now, and the d-hole that shouldn't have been on the road would be in the clink for attempted vehicular manslaughter.

You logic is skewed, sir. Make the test harder. Make the gas cheaper. Heck...if you make the test harder, the gas will follow. Supply and demand. Roads get safer, gas becomes a non-issue. Now, I'm sure some people are thinking, "What about those people that need to commute 200 miles a day for work?" The answer is...they need to reassess their lives. Anyone over 35 (or younger, perhaps) might remember the commercial where the guy says, "I only do drugs so I can stay up longer, to work more hours, to make more money...so I can buy more drugs, to stay up longer, to work more hours, to make more money..." I'm not trying to be a hippie, but, if you can't make it from your house to your work in under 90 minutes on a bicycle, you should rethink EVERYTHING. If you are married to your vehicle then you can't ever, EVER complain about fuel costs. I have a lot of opinions on this...I'm going to stop writing in the hopes that there's a couple folks I haven't alienated. Oh, it's $3.55 for ethanol-laced low-octane stuff here. $3.89 for sugar-free 91.

Good post.

I can get to work via bicycle in probably around 45-50 minutes. It's almost exactly 10 miles. Going home would probably take 2 hours though. It's all downhill on the way there and all uphill on the way home!

The other problem is that there is no safe route for the first 4 miles of that journey -- not without going an additional four miles in the wrong direction first. Believe me, if I could bicycle to work I would. I did for four years when I lived closer. Now I ride my motorcycle when the weather is nice, carpool with my wife twice a week and other times will drive my little Miata which ekes out 30MPG. OTOH, my wife drives every day of the week in her own vehicle which gets 15MPG in the city... Filled it up Friday to the tune of $68 for a full tank. I think she fills it up once a week or so.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka

LuciferMutt screwed with this post 04-02-2012 at 09:25 AM
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:01 AM   #69
KradmelderSA OP
Banned

our petrol going up R0.71 per litre tmw. Its now $5,87 per US gallon

That is a huge hike. And its not a fuel price increase, its all government levies..
Old 04-03-2012, 01:52 AM   #70
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,711
wellington NZ
91 octane(RON) 2.169 NZ per litre 8.2097 nz per us gal = 6.748 us per us gal
95 Octane 2.249 NZ per litre 8.51 nz us gal = 6.99 us per us gal
Diesel 1.549 per litre 5.863 nz us gal = 4.81 us per gallon

dont be mislead by the diesel.Diesel is not taxed fully at the pump to allow for non road users to buy it without the road user taxes.People with diesel cars pay about $460 for 10000km ,for me (BMW120d) that is equivalent to about 30 dollars per tank
Old 04-03-2012, 02:15 AM   #71
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,200
First a semi-rant here.

We live in a rural area where we normally get SNOW. Then mud season. And lots of moose, deer and bear.

But many of the locals drive small (for the better fuel mileage) AWD vehicles for better traction. Trying to dodge the wildlife.

Then we frequently visit close friends who live in a large metro area (Long Island, N.Y.) where they very rarely get any snow and everything is paved. Without exaggeration probably every other vehicle on the road is a HUGE SUV, many times inhabited by a single person.

What's wrong with this picture?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, back to our regularly programmed content......

But I don't look at the price- what's the point? Or better yet, what's the alternative to paying for gasoline?

To be honest, I try to drive as little as possible and (now that mud season is nearly done) use the MC as much as possible. Or car-pool with the wife (in her Subaru- see above) when possible.

And all the non-USA ADVers here are reading our whine about $4.00/gal and
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:20 AM   #72
KradmelderSA OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrasser View Post
First a semi-rant here.

We live in a rural area where we normally get SNOW. Then mud season. And lots of moose, deer and bear.

But many of the locals drive small (for the better fuel mileage) AWD vehicles for better traction. Trying to dodge the wildlife.

Then we frequently visit close friends who live in a large metro area (Long Island, N.Y.) where they very rarely get any snow and everything is paved. Without exaggeration probably every other vehicle on the road is a HUGE SUV, many times inhabited by a single person.

What's wrong with this picture?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, back to our regularly programmed content......

But I don't look at the price- what's the point? Or better yet, what's the alternative to paying for gasoline?

To be honest, I try to drive as little as possible and (now that mud season is nearly done) use the MC as much as possible. Or car-pool with the wife (in her Subaru- see above) when possible.

And all the non-USA ADVers here are reading our whine about $4.00/gal and
Well your fuel is cheap, and probably your incomes in buying power higher than most. If we convert our incomes to $, its quite low.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:29 AM   #73
Dave2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,278
Gas Prices in Maryland

Yesterday in Silver Spring, Maryland. $4.15 for regular. $4.45 for high test.
Still a lot of SUV's on the road. Still a lot of jackrabbit starts from the red lights.

K1200RS 04
KLR 650 08
Dave2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:30 AM   #74
KradmelderSA OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2 View Post
Yesterday in Silver Spring, Maryland. $4.15 for regular. $4.45 for high test.
Still a lot of SUV's on the road. Still a lot of jackrabbit starts from the red lights.
And Im still riding at 160 kmh. Last week's spedding ticket didnt cure me either
Old 04-03-2012, 03:23 AM   #75
outrunner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Here in Scotland the average price after conversion is $8.60 US per gallon, I commute 200 miles a week and my weekly take home pay is $416 US.

Andy.
outrunner is offline   Reply With Quote