ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 04:39 AM   #121
KradmelderSA OP
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: South Africa
Oddometer: 846
What is this ethanol? your petrol being blended with alcohol?
What is the problem with it?
KradmelderSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:51 AM   #122
slide
A nation in despair
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: NM, USA
Oddometer: 21,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by KradmelderSA View Post
What is this ethanol? your petrol being blended with alcohol?
What is the problem with it?
Ethanol will attack certain components in older fuel systems. It has a much higher octane equivalent value, but also a good deal less energy per ml. It's an add to our petrol as a counter to CO emissions.

OTOH, adding ethanol does eliminate water in the fuel. I'd personally prefer pure petrol, but cannot get it in my locale.
__________________
Why be born again when you can just grow up?
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:57 AM   #123
KradmelderSA OP
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: South Africa
Oddometer: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
Ethanol will attack certain components in older fuel systems. It has a much higher octane equivalent value, but also a good deal less energy per ml. It's an add to our petrol as a counter to CO emissions.

OTOH, adding ethanol does eliminate water in the fuel. I'd personally prefer pure petrol, but cannot get it in my locale.
Is that why fuel is so cheap in the USA? Or is it less taxes?
KradmelderSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:13 AM   #124
Me and my monkee
Out makin' Monkee Maps
 
Me and my monkee's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Augusta GA
Oddometer: 975
Taxes.
And it varies state by state.
I work a mile from the GA/SC border.
I am about to cross over into South Carolina and save 25 cents per gallon. $3.85 in GA, $3.59 over the bridge in SC.
__________________
2001 Moto Guzzi California Jackal, 2000 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours,
2001 Suzuki SV650S, 2001 Suzuki DR650SE,
2001 Kawasaki BN125 Eliminator, 1981 Kawasaki AR80
Me and my monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:17 AM   #125
slide
A nation in despair
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: NM, USA
Oddometer: 21,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by KradmelderSA View Post
Is that why fuel is so cheap in the USA? Or is it less taxes?
Less tax than most places. It's incredibly expensive compared to other nations, such as Venezuela.

We've built a society and economy on the idea of cheap petrol. To tax it as heavily as, say, the Netherlands here, would result in an instant economic collapse.
__________________
Why be born again when you can just grow up?
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014