User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2012, 08:07 AM   #1
_CJ OP
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,368
Basic tool kit - what do you carry?

Been trying to get ready for some riding this summer. The tool kit on my DR350 is missing. What do you guys carry, or suggest somebody carry, and how do you carry it? Backpack? Saddle bag? In the factory tool carrier? Chain breaker and links? Tire levers and patch kit? Adjustable wrenches? Nothing but a cell phone?
MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:37 AM   #2
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,616
I never carry anything hard on my body, so never a fanny pack or back pack with tools. A camel back with water is good, for hydration and offers a little back protection too.

This is my ADV touring kit, but if on a short ride, just the stuff in the tool roll, and in a fender bag-tubes, levers, patch kit.

1) gloves,2) tire levers and axle nut tool,3) tire pump, 4) rope, 5) front wheel bearings, 6) oil filter and o-rings, 7) nuts/bolts/fuses, 8) two chain links, 9) spoke wrench & front axle nut tool, 10) patch kit, 11) wire ties, 12) electrical tape,

13) tool roll, misc, allen wrenches, combination wrenches, sockets, pliers, air gauge, test light, crescent wrench, screw driver bits, carb jets

14) Sven 15" saw and sheath, 15) wire, 16) 1/4" T wrench w/ bailing wire wraped, 17) chain tool, 18) hammer and epoxy, 19) jumper cables, 20) throttle and clutch cable, 21) coil, 22) front brake pads, 23) spark plug, 14T counter shaft sprocket, 24) 30mm counter shaft socket, and extension/adapters, 25) foot levers

Not pictured are the front and rear inner tubes, small cans of chain lube and air filter oil, and 1st aid kit
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley screwed with this post 03-29-2012 at 08:58 AM
One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
Evenflo76
Cheap and Easy

Oddometer: 538
Look up CruzTools and Motion Pro.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,935
Tools are bike and even ride specific for me. The best way to figure out what you need is to do your maintenance at home with your trail tool kit. You figure out pretty fast what to keep, what needs to be upgraded and what can be tossed.

I have my LC4 down to just the tools that will fit in the stock tool kit. I add a fender or enduro bag as needed. If it is going to be a long ride in tough conditions I carry a Wolfman enduro bag for extra tools and spares on the rack plus a fender bag of tire stuff on the front.

On my MXC all the tools I need will fit in the fender bag along my with my tire stuff and spare tubes. One of the joys of riding orange, especially two stroke orange, is that most of the fasteners are the same size so a couple of KTM tools are almost all you need.

But I agree with One Less Harley about how to carry them. I never strap anything to my body that I don't want smashed into it. That is why I have the enduro and fender bags. I don't want my tools on my body when I crash.

My tool kits are too KTM specific to bother posting. But this is my tool kit tire stuff minus the spare tubes, pump and two more levers in my fender bag. It is enough to get me home but still packs very small with everything in the pouch except the lever and axle wrench. I have learned to not travel without flat repair capapbility.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 03-29-2012 at 11:15 AM
Grreatdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
MotoMind
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
14) Sven 15" saw and sheath
Make it a Sven 22" inch and it is a great part of any toolkit, even if you don't want to cut any wood. I took mine on a trip and never once sawed anything, but used it all the time. It is light and rigid and makes a fantastic quick jack if you put it under one of your footpegs:

MotoMind screwed with this post 03-29-2012 at 11:01 AM
MotoMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #6
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
6 point combo wrenches and 6 point sockets. 6,7,8,10,11,12,13 mm all in 1/4" drive
26?mm Husaberg axle wrench
Mac shorty 1/4" ratchet and two short extensions
Motion Pro T handle 1/4" driver
The larger Allen wrenches I cut down to 1" long and use with corresponding socket
1-1/2,2,3,4,5 mm allen wrenches
Mini linesman pliers Husaberg
Plug wrench Husaberg
Custom cut down bicycle hook spanner for head nut and shock preload ring

All that goes in a vinyl bag on the tail

Stashed on the bike is
Tire spoons,Patch kit, tire plugs and tool, quick steel, small can of radiator stop leak, short piece of fuel line, spare bolts, zipties, valve stems, spare tailight bulb, gorilla tape

In camelbak is
Road Bike Frame pump, matches, lighters, flashlight, Small nalgene bottles of oil, clutch oil, tow rope, reading glasses, and thorough first aid kit with enough various pain killers to put an elephant to sleep.

I can fix a flat or most any minor breakdown and get back to riding instead of waiting hours for help.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,576
I carry my cell phone, and cash!!!!
Yooper_Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:50 PM   #8
marksbonneville
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
Quote:
I never carry anything hard on my body, so never a fanny pack or back pack with tools. A camel back with water is good, for hydration and offers a little back protection too.

This is my ADV touring kit, but if on a short ride, just the stuff in the tool roll, and in a fender bag-tubes, levers, patch kit.

1) gloves,2) tire levers and axle nut tool,3) tire pump, 4) rope, 5) front wheel bearings, 6) oil filter and o-rings, 7) nuts/bolts/fuses, 8) two chain links, 9) spoke wrench & front axle nut tool, 10) patch kit, 11) wire ties, 12) electrical tape,

13) tool roll, misc, allen wrenches, combination wrenches, sockets, pliers, air gauge, test light, crescent wrench, screw driver bits, carb jets

14) Sven 15" saw and sheath, 15) wire, 16) 1/4" T wrench w/ bailing wire wraped, 17) chain tool, 18) hammer and epoxy, 19) jumper cables, 20) throttle and clutch cable, 21) coil, 22) front brake pads, 23) spark plug, 14T counter shaft sprocket, 24) 30mm counter shaft socket, and extension/adapters, 25) foot levers

Not pictured are the front and rear inner tubes, small cans of chain lube and air filter oil, and 1st aid kit
Great description and picture, thanks for sharing as I had a few items missing.
marksbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #9
plumber mike
Born again

Oddometer: 2,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
Tools are bike and even ride specific for me. The best way to figure out what you need is to do your maintenance at home with your trail tool kit. You figure out pretty fast what to keep, what needs to be upgraded and what can be tossed.
This, for me, is the only way to know what you need. No one here can answer the question specifically, but merely provide suggestions to get you close.

Probably been said but these are a few things I like to carry that I've found few people do:

A GOOD first aid kit w/suture kit- If I can't fix me I can't fix the bike.
KY Jelly personal lubricant- You never know when you will get lucky on an ADV trip, but if you are married it just helps spoon tires. Keep it on the bike instead of the nightstand.
Fluids for you and the bike.
A flashlight or two.One mini-mag LED and one strap to my head kind, even for a day ride. When shit goes bad it usually gets dark shortly after.

I get harrased sometimes for wieghing my bike down needlessly, but If I use it once then I'm glad I had it....plus I packed my 400# shitbox beemer everywhere you took your 250# KTM

There's sooo much more I'm forgetting, but that why there are so many of us.

Safe travels,

Mike
plumber mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #10
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,454
What can go wrong?

I put the tools I carry based on what can go wrong and do I have what I need to fix it. Or survive until help can reach me.

Mechanical

Flats
Tire irons
Second wind tire pump
!2v compressor
Patches
Tubes
Lubricant
Valve tool
Tire gauge

Drive
Chain breaker, Motion Pro
Extra master links
Small section of chain
Tow rope

Missing or loose bolts
Wrenches as required
Extra bolts, nuts and washers
Tie wire
zip ties

Electrical
Fuses
Wire
Tape
Spark plugs
CDI, one bike is a XR650L
Leatherman type tool

Damage to case, oil containment.
JB Weld, the putty type. Can patch large holes easily and is mixed in your hands.

Personal

First Aid Kit
Fire starting
Shelter, Emergency sleeping bag
Food, anything from Beef Jerky to MREs
Water, Bladder in flight vest
Walk out shoes
Spot Tracker
Cell
Walkie Talkie
Flashlight
cap light
Hatchet
Shovel

I carry everything on the bike some where except most of the tire repair stuff. I carry that in my flight vest. The vest carries the radio, phone, knife, Co2, balacava, warm or cool weather gloves, cigars, lighter, tire irons, and a front tube. Now maybe most would think all this stuff is not basic. It is for me. It may be different for me becasue my better half is my ridng partner

I do carry more than this but this is the basic stuff.

Carry what ever you feel comfortable with. But think of what can go wrong according to the riding you do. If I rode in a large group it would be different. But I don't and I won't.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #11
plumber mike
Born again

...and what he said too. Unless someone else posted

Also, I like to seperate my personal survival gear from the bike fixin stuff. If I do have to leave the bike I still want water, powerbars, and first aid stuff on my back.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:17 PM   #12
plumber mike
Born again

Cigar Mike posted...nothing can prepare you for the Saudi Aurora. Smokey Hill out to Parker is bad enough.

I have no expierience in zombie preparation
Old 03-30-2012, 06:12 PM   #13
Seavoyage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
Been trying to get ready for some riding this summer. The tool kit on my DR350 is missing. What do you guys carry, or suggest somebody carry, and how do you carry it? Backpack? Saddle bag? In the factory tool carrier? Chain breaker and links? Tire levers and patch kit? Adjustable wrenches? Nothing but a cell phone?

I'm a minimalist on my DR250. All you need is the basic tools to do the following tasks in the middle of nowhere:

1. Patch a flat tire tube: (3 tire irons, a small MotionPro T-6 trail bead buddy, valve core removal (caps on each valve + spare valve core), hand pump (I use a Mini Versair), a few Co2 cartridges, tire pressure gauge (pencil type), talcum powder (optional), 21" tire tube which can also be used on the rear. Small patch kit ($2 at bicycle shop). Combination wrench to remove wheels on DR350 are 17mm (front axle and carburetor float bowl drain plug), 24mm (rear axle)...Tusk has this wrench for $12. You'll need a 10mm socket for the front axle retaining bolts, and a 12mm for the brake caliper mounting bolts.
2. Clear a drowned engine: Spark plug wrench (14mm), spare plugs already gapped.
3. Get a tow: Tow strap (a single ratchet straps is more useful for me)
4. Siphon fuel: 6' Plastic tubing that matches your fuel lines.
5. Seal a cracked side case: JB weld or Metal putty.
6. Repair a broken chain: 520 chain links with master links, and small chain breaker tool.
7. Replace a broken clutch or throttle cable: Spare clutch cable. You can also use a bicycle brake cable which can be used for the throttle or clutch. (Taped parallel to the existing cables.)
8. Secure anything that may fall off. Loctite (blue/red) everything, then carry zipties (taped to front forks), ductape (wrapped around wrenches), electric tape (wrapped around wrenches), safety wire (wound around seat subframe tube).

A basic multi-tool: Leatherman Crunch (with a vice grip which can be used as a shift lever) and a MotionPro Tool Metric The 8mm, 10mm and 12mm sockets will get the DR350 sidepanels, fuel tank, and seats off to access everything .

Everything fits in a Moose Racing Fender bag which stays on the bike at all times. The moment you remove it from the bike, you'll forget it!

Survival kit: (Stays on your body at all times)
3L Water (Camelback "Hydrate or Die!")) + purification tablets or waterpurifier.

Leave a route map in your vehicle and with friends/family before each trip. USCG call this a 'float plan'. On that topic hope yor 'estate' is in order: Will, Power of Attorney and 'Blood Chit'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike View Post
Walk out shoes
+1 on shoes!

Quote:
I never carry anything hard on my body,
+1 on no hard objects on your body.

The only first aid items that are critical are: (the little bandaid/neosporin/aspirin kits won't save you)
  • A nasopharangeal airway to keep airway open (No.. it's for the lother guy. Good luck keeping uour own airway open)
  • 2 windlass tourniquets and Quickclot to keep from bleeding out (read compound fracture, impaled object, or large laceration)
  • Sam Splint to stabilize a fracture (can also use your tire irons and duct tape) or a C-collar. I place the Sam Splint for support in a fanny pack to make it a kidney belt.
  • Bandana/cravat
I don't recommend traveling alone... use the buddy system, just like evey other professional organization (SCUBA, Military, Outward Bound). Since you got a buddy, cross load... you only need one of the heavy stuff between the two or more of you.

Seavoyage screwed with this post 04-09-2012 at 12:08 PM
Seavoyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #14
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 446
What do you do to pack your tire tubes down?
Do you just take patches?

My tire tubes are like friggin' bricks.
I hate hauling them around.
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:04 PM   #15
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seavoyage View Post
I'm a minimalist on my DR250. All you need is the basic tools to do the following tasks in the middle of nowhere:

1. Patch a flat tire tube: (3 tire irons, a small MotionPro T-6 trail bead buddy, valve core removal (caps on each valve + spare valve core), hand pump (I use a Mini Versair), a few Co2 cartridges, tire pressure gauge (pencil type), talcum powder (optional), 21" tire tube which can also be used on the rear. Small patch kit ($2 at bicycle shop). Combination wrench to remove wheels on DR350 are 17mm (front axle and carburetor float bowl drain plug), 24mm (rear axle)...Tusk has this wrench for $12. You'll need a 10mm socket for the front axle retaining bolts, and a 12mm for the brake caliper mounting bolts.
2. Clear a drowned engine: Spark plug wrench (14mm), spare plugs already gapped.
3. Get a tow: Tow strap (a single ratchet straps is more useful for me)
4. Siphon fuel: 6' Plastic tubing that matches your fuel lines.
5. Seal a cracked side case: JB weld or Metal putty.
6. Repair a broken chain: 520 chain links with master links, and small chain breaker tool.
7. Replace a broken clutch or throttle cable: Spare clutch cable. You can also use a bicycle brake cable which can be used for the throttle or clutch. (Taped parallel to the existing cables.)
8. Secure anything that may fall off. Loctite (blue/red) everything, then carry zipties (taped to front forks), ductape (wrapped around wrenches), electric tape (wrapped around wrenches), safety wire (wound around seat subframe tube).

A basic multi-tool: Leatherman Crunch (with a vice grip which can be used as a shift lever) and a MotionPro Tool Metric The 8mm, 10mm and 12mm sockets will get the DR350 sidepanels, fuel tank, and seats off to access everything .

Everything fits in a Moose Racing Fender bag which stays on the bike at all times. The moment you remove it from the bike, you'll forget it!

Survival kit: (Stays on your body at all times)
3L Water (Camelback "Hydrate or Die!")) + purification tablets or waterpurifier.

Leave a route map in your vehicle and with friends/family before each trip. USCG call this a 'float plan'.

+1 on shoes!

+1 on no hard objects on your body.

The only first aid items that are critical are: (the little bandaid/neosporin/aspirin kits won't save you)
  • A nasopharangeal airway to keep airway open
  • 2 windlass tourniquets and Quickclot to keep from bleeding out (read compound fracture, impaled object, or large laceration)
  • Sam Splint to stabilize a fracture (can also use your tire irons and duct tape) or a C-collar. I place the Sam Splint for support in a fanny pack to make it a kidney belt.
  • Bandana/cravat
I do like your list and had forgotten I carry many of the items on your list that I did not list. One little tool that has been a welcome addition is a small pair of vice grips. They come in handy as designed and can also be used as a shift lever. A towel comes in handy to keep things off the ground and clean up after repairs.

Mike